Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What happened to Michael's stamp aisle?

I just got back from my local Michaels and was shocked. They have redone their store with a smaller section of rubber stamps (if that is even possible) and have jewelry making items in the section where they used to be. I had to really search to find where the stamps were. Has this happened to other Michaels stores?

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I hate to hear that your M's has downsized the stamps. Mine has actually increased the number, but they are clear not wood mounted. Mine is not a great M's, but they have really improved it within the last month, more updated items, etc. Maybe yours will bring more out soon.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by klpt58View Post
Oh, I hate to hear that your M's has downsized the stamps. Mine has actually increased the number, but they are clear not wood mounted. Mine is not a great M's, but they have really improved it within the last month, more updated items, etc. Maybe yours will bring more out soon.
Kathy
There are about 4 Michaels where I live in Oklahoma City, and they have all expanded their stamping aisle. Mainly, they now seem to be focusing on clear stamps and sets. They have a terrific new clear stamp line called Recollections which sells for $6.99 a set and has some really cute stamps. Quite a bargain with a 50% coupon.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #4  
Vintage Vixen

About two years ago my local Michaels was completely redone. They rearranged the entire store and a major change was that they expanded their jewelry supplies and beads.

This year they have rearranged the stamping aisle, reduced the number wood-mounted stamps, and greatly expanded the selection of clear stamps and Tim Holtz products. They have also gotten new product in the wedding section (stationery and more items to make your own invitations, place cards, etc).

Perhaps yours is in a similar transition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Add my Michaels to the list of those which has greatly improved their stamping selection over the last year. Clear stamps, Tim Holtz products, primas, Basic Gray paper, the list goes on. I can pretty much always find something to use my coupon with now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, now I'm jealous. I couldn't even find anything to use my coupons on. I wanted a Martha Stewart punch but they didn't have very many and not one that I wanted.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Mikes here actaully has more stamping stuff. THey now have a whole section of clear stamp sets to. Much better than a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ditto on everyone's comments about M's expansion of the stamping aisle.

My Mike's is old and so/so but I went away on vacation for two weeks and came back to find my local Mike's stamping section completely redone. All new and expanded clear stamp selection and brand new Hero Arts wood mounted (and Changito and the fluffy cat character). Can you imagine how THRILLED I was!?!? It was like a dream! lol

I would ask to speak to a manger and ask them if that is a permanent change or if they're oging to expand, etc. I'm willing to bet that the mgr would share some info with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

The Michaels here in Orlando looks like it is turning into a "Dollar" store. Very few wood mounted stamps, ton of beads, and $ items. Very disappointing.

www.Jillybean.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I kind of have a beef about Michael's Recollection line. I've noticed they carry a big name product such as Making Memories, Prima etc. for a year or so and then they knock it off and offer almost the exact same product under their Recollections line for a lower price.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia SView Post
I kind of have a beef about Michael's Recollection line. I've noticed they carry a big name product such as Making Memories, Prima etc. for a year or so and then they knock it off and offer almost the exact same product under their Recollections line for a lower price.
Julia, I don't understand. What's not to like about almost the same thing for a lower price?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #12  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillFLView Post
The Michaels here in Orlando looks like it is turning into a "Dollar" store. Very few wood mounted stamps, ton of beads, and $ items. Very disappointing.
hi Jill! i'm in orlando too, and typically shop at the mike's in altamonte. they've added a whole aisle with the $1 items as well, but they're revamping their rubber-stamping section on a different aisle and have added lots of new mike's-branded Recollections items. i haven't been to the store at west oaks lately, so not sure what they're up to.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I have two Michael's within 5 miles from my home. The store South of me has hardly any stamps, a small selection of scrap booking items, but tons of $ items which are located at the front of the store. The store North of me has a large selection of scrapbook paper, a somewhat larger collection of stamps, and their $ section is at the back of the store.

I have heard the manager at the "South" store explain to customers that they can't carry everything the other store does because they are smaller. But I think what really determines the store's inventory is the neighborhood where it's located. The "South" store is located in a shopping center with a dollar store, a factory outlet, a Marshall's and a Burlington Coat factory. The "North" store is located in a center with a Pier One, Nordstrom's Rack, Aaron Bros. and across the street from a Trader Joe's.

What I wish is that they both wouldn't change their store layout every couple of months. I drives me crazy! Just when I figure out where things are located they move everything around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Our Michaels here are BAD!! I use to make special trips to use my coupons but now I don't even cut them out unless I know that I am going to be in that area and have time to stop. The last couple times I stopped in I didn't even use my coupon. This is the last store I stop at now. Luckily we still have JoAnns, Archivers and Pat Catans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Our local M's cut back the wood mounted section, but doubled the clear stamps and new paper packs area! New brands and great prices too!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #16  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Ours has gone to clear in a big way. There are the wood stamps across the isle and it is smaller. I am not sure about the clears. Our store has more items but not in the wood stamps. I sure hope they don't decide to take them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Our local M's cut back the wood mounted section, but doubled the clear stamps and new paper packs area! New brands and great prices too!
Ditto with the Fargo Michaels! It's GREAT!! I've also noticed that our Hobby Lobby has gotten in new clear stamp sets (Inkadinkado, I think).

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I noticed this a couple months back when visiting Ventura CA. I was so bummed I had nothing I wanted and walked out of the store completly empty handed :O
I was not planing on visitng my two closest Michaels Lake Havasu & Las Vegas because it is about an hour away from me...Now I am curious if those are any better?
I did notice the Joann's in Las Vegas has a HUGE stamping section which I liked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, yesterday I went into another Michaels to see if it was any better. They did have more acrylic stamps but all of them were on a display with a red security lock on each hook. Good grief. And this Michaels was not in a high crime area. If you wanted an acrylic set you had to find a clerk to get it for you. I had never even seen locks like that before.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by WedemeyerView Post
I have two Michael's within 5 miles from my home. The store South of me has hardly any stamps, a small selection of scrap booking items, but tons of $ items which are located at the front of the store. The store North of me has a large selection of scrapbook paper, a somewhat larger collection of stamps, and their $ section is at the back of the store.

I have heard the manager at the "South" store explain to customers that they can't carry everything the other store does because they are smaller. But I think what really determines the store's inventory is the neighborhood where it's located. The "South" store is located in a shopping center with a dollar store, a factory outlet, a Marshall's and a Burlington Coat factory. The "North" store is located in a center with a Pier One, Nordstrom's Rack, Aaron Bros. and across the street from a Trader Joe's.

What I wish is that they both wouldn't change their store layout every couple of months. It drives me crazy! Just when I figure out where things are located they move everything around.
I bet it drives the employees crazy as well!
I was at M's yesterday for the first time in quite a while. I didn't go do the stamp aisle, but mine is one that moved most of the dollar items toward the back of the store near the seasonal aisle. I guess that will let them expand the dollar aisle once Halloween and Christmas are over.
I haven't seen the Recollections brand some of you were talking about. (I am in Maryland.)
To Quiltnstamper: My M's has those locks on all of the dies (even the ones that only cost $5.99). That keeps me from buying them, as it is not easy to find an employee.

Last edited by lynnewithane; 09-08-2009 at 01:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiltnstamperView Post
Okay, yesterday I went into another Michaels to see if it was any better. They did have more acrylic stamps but all of them were on a display with a red security lock on each hook. Good grief. And this Michaels was not in a high crime area. If you wanted an acrylic set you had to find a clerk to get it for you. I had never even seen locks like that before.
oh goodness, I think those things actually deter people from purchasing the items! I don't have time to try and find someone to unlock them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
oh goodness, I think those things actually deter people from purchasing the items! I don't have time to try and find someone to unlock them.
That is exactly what I thought. In fact I left the store without buying anything.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 660 Likes on 375 Posts

My Hobby Lobby has started the lock up with the Spellbinder's dies. You have to take the slip of paper to the register and someone has to get it. That holds up the line. But, I love the price with a 40% off coupon so I sure won't complain. The last time I was in Michael's, there was no lock up on the acrylic stamps. Hope that doesn't happen here.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenziView Post
My Hobby Lobby has started the lock up with the Spellbinder's dies. You have to take the slip of paper to the register and someone has to get it. That holds up the line. But, I love the price with a 40% off coupon so I sure won't complain. The last time I was in Michael's, there was no lock up on the acrylic stamps. Hope that doesn't happen here.
That seems like a better system. I hate running around like a lunatic trying to find someone to help me :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh my gosh, LOL, I just had a total visual -

"HELP ME, HELP ME... MUST HAVE STAMPS!!"

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 660 Likes on 375 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
Oh my gosh, LOL, I just had a total visual -

"HELP ME, HELP ME... MUST HAVE STAMPS!!"

Ha...I'm sure they wouldn't understand our need and how frantic we are.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenziView Post
Ha...I'm sure they wouldn't understand our need and how frantic we are.

Exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes