Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:08 AM   #601  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmomView Post
How did you manage the dipping part? We did these Sunday and what a mess! I couldn't get the chocolate to a thin enough consistency, don't know what else to do. They look awful! I'd love some pointers! I'm supposed to do these again with the next batch of nephews/niece in a couple weeks!
The dipping part was interesting. I used a metal bowl on a boiling pot of water. I kept the pot on the stove and the water simmering while I dipped. Next time I will do a smaller amount of chocolate at a time since it hardens quickly. My first couple weren't very pretty, but they sure tasted good! I used Ghiradelli (sp?) choc from Sam's club. It was about $7 for a 2 1/2 lb bar.

I also had the truffles in the fridge for a little over an hour before dipping. They were still softer than I expected them to be.

The white choc drizzled on top hides a multitude of sins.

I also made them too big, and will make them smaller next time. Mine were more walnut-sized. Next time, I'll go for hazelnut. I don't know if it will make them easier or harder to coat.

Maybe someone else will have some better insights.

H
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 AM   #602  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmomView Post
How did you manage the dipping part? We did these Sunday and what a mess! I couldn't get the chocolate to a thin enough consistency, don't know what else to do. They look awful! I'd love some pointers! I'm supposed to do these again with the next batch of nephews/niece in a couple weeks!
When I make the Oreo Truffles, I use coating chocolate. I don't care much for the kind Wilton brand. I go to a little shop in our area that sells Wilbur coating wafers. These work much better. I also use a plastic dipping fork for candy. Again, purchased this from the same shop locally. I place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. When I've completed the dipping process, I melt white wafers and put it into a ziploc sandwich bag which I clipped a corner off of. Then I squeeze a little squiggly line on top of each truffle - just for some added flair.

It may be the brand of coating chocolate that's giving you problems. I always have problems with the Wilton when it comes to dipping. It just seems to get clumpy and difficult to work with. Hope this helps you out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #603  
Insane Embellisher

I also tried to melt chocolate chips in the microwave this weekend but the same thing happened. It wasn't thin enough so I kept putting it back in for 30 second intervals and then it just clumped up! UGH! I actually went through 4 bags of chips because I tried it with and without 1 tbsp of crisco.
I wanted to dip Oreo cookies. I have a cookie exchange on wednesday. I am not sure what to do now!
Can someone help...or give me a really easy recipe for cookies.
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 05:10 AM   #604  
Insane Embellisher

I did make the white chocolate puff-corn that a fellow SCS shared with me and it was fabulous!!!
Get a large bag of Puff0corn (that you find in the chips isle) and put in a large bowl. Melt 1 bag of white chocolate chips and add it to the bowl with the puff-corn. I also added crushed candy canes since I had it on hand. Toss together real good and then put it on wax-paper line cookie sheets. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes or so just to set the chocolate. Thats it! I decorated bags and added the puff-corn. It looks cute! I will try to post a picture in my gallery today!
I also made the pretzel twists with hershey kisses and they were soooo good!
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #605  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyb66View Post
I also tried to melt chocolate chips in the microwave this weekend but the same thing happened. It wasn't thin enough so I kept putting it back in for 30 second intervals and then it just clumped up! UGH! I actually went through 4 bags of chips because I tried it with and without 1 tbsp of crisco.
I wanted to dip Oreo cookies. I have a cookie exchange on wednesday. I am not sure what to do now!
Amy
Have you tried to melt the chocolate in a double boiler? You have to be really careful with chocolate, if you get even 1 drop of water in it it will clump together in a huge mess.

I have nuked it successfully, just a few seconds at a time.
Is it possible the Crisco has some water in it? I usually use real butter when I melt chocolate so the consistency is better for dipping.

Good luck!

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 05:54 AM   #606  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyb66View Post
Amy
If you use the coating chocolate wafers, you do not need to add anything to it. So, no Crisco. You can melt in the microwave but again, you need to do it for very short intervals. When using the coating chocolate, especially the white, if it becomes too thick then you add a drop at at time of cooking oil and stire it in until you get the consistency right. Also, using a double boiler is a little less tricky than nuking the chocolate. Hope this is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #607  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

I know I promised recipes several weeks ago. Sorry for the delay, but I hope you think it's worth it. These are recipes I make every ear and are all a hit.

Coco-Date Balls
1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup rice cereal (or 2 cups rice crispies)
1 cup corn flakes cereal

Mix dates, sugar and eggs in heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat till mixture is thick and leaves sides of pan, about 10 minutes. Rmove from heat and cool slightly. Add remaining ingredients and stir till well mixed. Wet hands and roll mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll in additional coconut. Makes 32 balls.

Chocolate Creams
2 8-ounce Hershey chocolate bars (or 1 lb dipping chocolate)
12 ounces frozen whipped topping, room temperature
chopped nuts, crushed graham crackers, or shredded coconut

Melt chocolate and let cool to room temperature. Stir chocolate into the room temperature whipped topping. (If whipped topping is at room temperature it will prevent chocolate from hardening before thoroughly mixed.)

Drop by half-teaspoonfuls (the size of a marble) into chopped nuts, crushed graham crackers or shredded coconut. Refrigerate.

Makes about 6 dozen.

Delectable Chocolate Almond Balls
3 8-ounce Hershey bars with Almonds
1 large container Cool Whip
Vanilla wafer crumbs

Chop choclate bars and melt over hot, not boiling, water. Stir in Cool Whip. Shape into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and roll in vanilla wafer crumbs.

Place onto waxed paper and let set up in refrigerator. Makes about 50 balls. (Note: 1 tsp rum extract may be mixed with melted chocolate and Cool Whip.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #608  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

Some more yummies...

Fabulous Pecan Bars

Crust:

� cup cold butter
� cups flour
� cup ice water

Use a pastry blender to cut butter into the flour. Mixture should resemble cornmeal. Add water and toss with a fork. Gather dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours. Butter and flour a 9x13-inch pan. Roll out the dough on floured surface to about 11x15-inch rectangle. Place dough into the prepared pan and let it come up about 1 inch on all sides. Pierce dough with a fork. Chill while making filling.

Filling:
1 � cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup butter
� cup honey
1/3 cup sugar
1 pound pecans, chopped (but not too fine)
� cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine brown sugar, butter, honey, and sugar in a heavy saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil until thick and dark, 3-4 minutes. You must stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans and whipping cream. Pour over dough in pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Check after about 15 minutes. If the Filling is browning too much, reduce oven heat to 375 degrees and continue baking. Cool cookies in pan. Cut into strips. Makes 5-6 dozen strips, depening on how large you cut them.

ICED PECANS
3 c pecan halves
1 1/2 c sugar
6 T butter
1 1/2 t vanilla
2 1/4 t salt
In a heavy skillet, cook butter, pecans and sugar over medium heat, stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes, until pecans are toasted and sugar caramelizes to a golden brown color. Watch carefully and do not overcook!
Remove skillet from heat and stir in vanilla. On a sheet of aluminum foil, pour out pecan mixture, spreading it out to a single layer as quickly as possible. Sprinkle with salt. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, and break apart in bite-sized pieces.

Kitchen Sink Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup oil
1 cup quick rolled oats
1 cup crushed cornflakes (measure after crushing)
3 � cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
� cup coconut
1 cup pecans, chopped rather fine

Cream butter with sugars. Add the egg and he oil. Mix well. Add oats, cornflakes, flour, soda, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in coconut and nuts. Roll into 1-inch balls of dough and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten the balls with a fork in crisscross pattern. Dip fork into water between cookies. Bake 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until light brown. Do not overbake.

Lemon Cheese Bars

1 package lemon cake mix
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 Cup sugar
Zest from 1 lemon
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together cake mix, oil, egg and lemon zest. Mix for about 2 minutes. Mixture will be crumbly. Reserve 1 cup for topping. Place remaining crush mixture in 9x3 pan. Use fingertips to press mixture evenly over bottom of pan so that it reaches all sides. Bake 13 to 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set aside. Leave oven on.

For the filling, place the cream cheese in the same mixing bowl used for the crust. Use the same beaters as well. Blend on low speed until creamy, about 30 seconds. Stop the machine and add the sugar, lemon juice and 1 egg. Beat on low spread until well combined. Spread mixture over baked crust so that it covers the entire surface. Scatter the reserved crust mixture over the filling. Bake 14-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Cut into 24 squares and serve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #609  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

And some more...

Oh’ Henry Bars

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soft margarine
4 cups quick oatmeal
� cup white corn syrup
6 ounces chocolate chips
� cup peanut butter

Mix first 4 ingredients together like a pie crust (about 20 pulses in food processor). Pat in ungreased 10x15-inch cookie sheet (with sides). Bake 15-17 minutes at 350 degrees, till brown around the edges. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in microwave on high for 2 minutes. Spread over slightly cooled oatmeal mixture; refrigerate. Makes 50-60 squares.

Orange Balls

� cup margarine, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
1 (6-ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
� cup coconut
� cup chopped nuts
1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafers, finely crushed
powdered sugar, ground nuts or fine coconut

Mix margarine and powdered sugar on low speed. Add orange juice, nuts and coconut gradually. Blend in crushed vanilla wafers. Form 1-inch (or smaller) balls and roll in powdered sugar, nuts or coconut. Store in tin or covered container.

Peanut Butter Crispies

1 Cup sugar
1 Cup corn syrup

Heat and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add:

1 Cup peanut butter
6 Cups rice crispies

Mix well. Spread into 9x13 pan.

1 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 Cup butterscotch chips

Melt in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. If not fully melted put it back in for another 30 second. Stir and repeat if necessary. Spread over top of crispies mixture. When frosting is set, cut into bars.

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg mini peanut butter cups

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Beat in eggs. Sift together dry ingredients. Stir into batter. Cover bowl and refrigerate batter for 1 hour. Roll into 1-inch balls and place in mini muffin tin for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven and place pan on cooling rack. Immediately press one mini peanut butter cup into each cookie. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and remove from muffin tin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #610  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

And still more...

Shortbread Toffee Squares

� stick butter
4 Tbs sugar
1 cup self-rising flour
� stick butter
2 Tbs sugar
1 (14-ounce) can condensed milk
� cup pecans, chopped
� tsp vanilla
4 ounces german sweet chocolate, melted in 1 Tbs water

Cream � stick butter with 4 tablespoons sugar. Blend in flour. Spread onto greased 8-inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Mix together next 4 ingredients and cook, stirring until mixture leaves the sides of pan. Add vanilla. Pour over shortbread. Cool. Spread melted chocolate over toffee. Cool. Cut into squares.

Symphony Fudge

4 Cups sugar
1 pint whipping cream
2 large Symphony toffee almond bars
2 sticks butter

In large pot mix the sugar and cream. Stir well and bring to a boil.
While boiling add butter. Do not touch the sides or bottom of pan while stirring in the butter.
Boil to the soft-ball stage (230 degrees).
Add the broken up Symphony bars and beat in with an electric mixer. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and chill for 5-6 hours.

Toffee Cheesecake Cookie Bars
2 c crushed gingersnap cookie crumbs
1/4 c melted butter or margarine
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 eggs
1 c toffee candy pieces
1 t vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9" baking pan. Combine gingersnap crumbs and butter and press into bottom of pan. In a bowl combine cream cheese, Eagle Brand, eggs, toffee pieces, and vanilla. Beat well until creamy and smooth. Pour into pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until just set. Cool at room temperature then chill. Cut into squares. Makes 20 cookie bars.

Yummy Cereal Stuff

� box Golden grahams
� box Rice Chex
8 ounces slivered almonds
1 Cup shredded coconut

Mix together in large bowl.

1 cube butter
1 Cup light corn syrup
1 Cup sugar

Heat to boiling and boil 4 minutes. Pour over cereal mixture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #611  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

Okay, after spending lots of time baking goodies, I like to have an easy but yummy breakfast on Christmas morning. Here are a few dishes we've tried over the years.

Breakfast Casserole

3 Cups frozen hashbrowns
� Cup shredded cheese
1 Cup diced ham
� cup sliced green onion
4 beaten eggs
1 12oz evaporate milk
� tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Grease 2 quart square baking dish. Arrange potatoes in bottom. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and onion. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over top. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Can be covered and refrigerated overnight and baked for 55-60 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Cheese Strata

8 slices white bread, buttered, crusts removed
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 � cups milk
1 tsp salt
� tsp dry mustard

Cut bread slices into quarters. Alternate layers of bread and cheese in greased 7x11-inch baking dish, ending with cheese. Mix eggs, milk, salt, and mustard. Pour over cheese and bread layers. Cover. Chill 6 hours or overnight.

Bake uncovered in preheated 325 degree oven for 45 minutes or until firm. Let stand a few minutes and cut into squares. May be frozen after baking. Defrost before reheating. Serves 6-8.

Can add 1 cup diced ham or cooked sausage.

Sausage and Egg Brunch Bake

2 cups herb croutons
1 pound bulk sausage, cooked and well drained
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 � cups milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1 � cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Line bottom of greased 9x13 glass baking dish with croutons. Cover with sausage. Combine eggs, milk, mustard, cheese and soup. Pour over sausage. Run a knife cross-wise through mixture as you would to marble cake batter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until firm in center and brown on top. Let stand 5 minuts before cutting into squares. Serves 8.

Easy Cinnamon Rolls

1/3 Cup sugar
� Cup oil
1 � Cups very hot water
3 Tbs yeast
2 eggs
1 � tsp salt
up to 5 � Cups flour
� cup almost melted butter
� Cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 Cup cinnamon chips

Add hot water to mixing bowl, then sugar and oil. Mix a little, sprinkle in yeast, cover and let set 15 minutes. Add eggs and salt, mix. Add 4 cups flour and mix, continue adding additional flour until dough pulls from sides (up to 5 � cups). Mix 5 minutes. Take dough out of mixer and work it on the counter top. Roll out to rectangle about the size of a jelly roll pan. Spread melted button on dough. Mix together cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over dough. Sprinkle cinnamon chips on top. Roll up lengthwise. Cut into 12 sections (dental floss work well for cutting). Put on jelly roll pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. While warm, frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
� Cup butter, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix until well blended.

No-Peek Rolls

24 frozen dinner rolls
� cup melted margarine
� cup packed brown sugar
1 (3-ounce) package butterscotch pudding and pie filling mix (not instant)
� cup chopped pecans

Place rolls in greased bundt pan. Blend margarine and brown sugar in bowl. Spoon over rolls. Sprinkle pudding mix ove rolls. Sprinkle with pecans. Place cold in oven before going to bed. The next morning bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let them sit in the pan for 10 minutes and invert onto waxed paper or large serving plate.

Pecan Crusted Overnight French Bread

� cup butter, melted
� cup pancake syrup
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 eggs
� cup half and half
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbs cinnamon
Dash nutmeg
1 loaf French bread, sliced into enough sliced to fit pan

Mix butter and syrup. Pour on shallow pan o cookie sheet. Sprinkle nuts over syrup mixture. Mix eggs, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Dip bread in mixture until good and moist. Place bread on syrup mixture; cover and sore in refrigerator overnight. Next morning, bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 04:17 AM   #612  
Die Cut Diva

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow KJ, thanks for all the great recipes! I can hardly wait to try them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #613  
Rubber Obsessor

KJ, your recipes sound great and appear to be simple to make. thanks. A question. Do you need to cool cown the melted chocolate before you stir in the Kool Whip? I think my grandson might enjoy helping make the Chocolate Almond Balls. Can't wait to try the breakfast casserole -- seems perfect for my small group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #614  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevLindaView Post
KJ, your recipes sound great and appear to be simple to make. thanks. A question. Do you need to cool cown the melted chocolate before you stir in the Kool Whip? I think my grandson might enjoy helping make the Chocolate Almond Balls. Can't wait to try the breakfast casserole -- seems perfect for my small group.
We've got the same questions for KJ, RevLinda. Ohhhh, that breakfast casserole sounds yummy. I'm wondering if I couldn't make it for breakfast tomorrow. It'd be yummy before school, but will I remember to put it in right when I wake up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #615  

I've been making the pretzel things all day today. My daughter, we will be 3 on Christmas, has had the best time helping me unwrap the kisses. I've been warming them up in the oven on a silicone sheet that is on a cookie sheet and then sliding off the silicone sheet. That way, she has been able to put the M&Ms on with me. The silicone sheet and the kisses aren't hot. She's loved being able to help me with something.

I noticed we were talking about Christmas morning breakfast. Here is a recipe (originally from AllRecipes.com with my changes) that I only make on Christmas morning. Once my daughter was born, we decided to have our own little breakfast tradition.

Country Breakfast Casserole

INGREDIENTS
1 (16 ounce) package breakfast sausage
1 chopped onion (recipe originally called for green onion)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 (2.64 ounce) package country gravy mix
1 package of frozen hashbrowns, cooked according to the directions on the package (recipe originally called for 6 slices bread, cut into 1 inch cubes and 2 tablespoons melted butter)
salt, pepper and paprika to taste (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 11x8 inch baking dish.

Brown sausage in a large skillet; drain fat.

Combine sausage with onion and spread evenly across the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 1/2 shredded cheese (originally: all cheese). Whisk together eggs, water, milk, and gravy mix; add mixture to baking dish.

Add browned potatoes on the top and then the other 1/2 of cheese (originally: arrange bread squares evenly on top. If desired, drizzle melted butter over bread) and sprinkle with salt pepper and paprika to taste.

Bake 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside 10 minutes before serving.

And then I serve it with this gelatin salad (also from AllRecipes.com):

Cranberry Gelatin Salad

INGREDIENTS
1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
1 (8 oz) jar of maraschino cherries (original recipe called for 16.5 oz can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained)
10 1/2 ounces crushed pineapple with juice
1 (6 ounce) package cherry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the cranberry sauce.

Cut the cherries into halves and add them to the melted sauce. Stir in the pineapple with its juice. Remove mixture from heat.

In a medium bowl pour the boiling water over the gelatin. And stir until all the gelatin has dissolved.

Add the gelatin mixture to the cranberry mixture and stir. Stir in the optional nuts. Pour into a 9x13 inch pan and chill until set.

ETA: I actually use a bundt cake pan and chill it in that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #616  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

A question. Do you need to cool cown the melted chocolate before you stir in the Kool Whip? I think my grandson might enjoy helping make the Chocolate Almond Balls. Can't wait to try the breakfast casserole -- seems perfect for my small group.
I've done it both ways. I've found that if you let the chocolate cool a bit - you don't want it to get too thick - but also make sure the cool whip is completely thawed and almost at room temperature. Those two tips will make the process much easier.

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited by KJ; 12-05-2007 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #617  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJView Post
I've done it both ways. I've found that if you let the chocolate cool a bit - you don't want it to get too thick - but also make sure the cool whip is completely thawed and almost at room temperature. Those two tips will make the process much easier.

Enjoy!!!!
Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about the whole cooling chocolate thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #618  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

I just found this link to some Hot Chocolate mixes. They would be fun and easy gifts for people. Or, just whip it up and enjoy it for yourself. :-)

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium...oaJar1204
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #619  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJView Post
I just found this link to some Hot Chocolate mixes. They would be fun and easy gifts for people. Or, just whip it up and enjoy it for yourself. :-)

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium...oaJar1204.html
I've tried the Mexian Cocoa from this site and it is just scruptious...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #620  
Rubber Obsessor

subscribing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #621  
Rubber Obsessor

Kat, where did you find Mexican chocolate. I really want to try that. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #622  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevLindaView Post
Kat, where did you find Mexican chocolate. I really want to try that. Thanks
My local Wal-Mart carries it. I only live a couple of hours from the Mexican boarder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #623  
Kookie Creator

You can usually find it at any grocery store in an ethnic neighborhood. The closer you are to the Mexico border the easier it is to find. The most common brand is Abuelita (Nestle owns it): http://www.mexgrocer.com/2550.html
It's such wonderful stuff. Use whole milk and put it in the blender to get it good and whipped up. Heavenly!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #624  
Insane Embellisher

For anyone who is having trouble dipping things in melted chocolate chips, I had the same problem, then my mom told me that I needed wax, I don't know the brand name because she happened to have some that I could use, but I know she got it at the grocery store and it's used for thinning the chocolate so you can use it for dipping, and let me tell ya it made a huge difference. My chocolate when from yuck to yum!!! I have made the oreo truffles, pretzel rings, mooose tracks, peppermint patties, creamy snowballs, peanut butter balls, coconut logs, peppermint bark, fruit and nut bark and chcolate cookie bark! Finally my christmas baking is DONE!! Yay!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #625  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oreo balls

Hi ladies,

I love this thread. thanks for all the sharing of recipes. I want to try them all.
I call the oreo truffles, oreo balls..same basic recipe. I have sold them and maybe alot of them. they are a huge hit with everyone. so I thought I would share some of my tips I have picked up along the way!! First if you have a Kroger or Food Lion they carry great micrwaveable chocolate (White) is what I like but milk chocolate is good too. I micro for a minute and 30 seconds then 20 second intervals. check it and stir, sometimes it is hard to tell if it has melted be careful with white it burns easily. I have added food coloring or flavor if you like. I did pastel colors for my daughter's baby shower. the oreo ball part must be cold or it will start to melt.sometimes I have stuck them in the freezer 20 minutes then dipped. place on wax paper on a cutting board, when done dipping, I place that board in the freezer till set. you can drizzle chocolate contrast on top. any questions email or ask here. I really have made alot of these. I have people asking when are the cookie platters coming!!! by the way they look good in paper bon bon cups in a box.
Had a cookie swap today with my hostess club, it was a blast. the girls had a lot of fun. they loved this recipe I am going to share with you all.
I have one more easy and incrediable tasty idea to share with you all. if you make or buy hot chocolate these could be packaged in a cello and added to that. or they are great by themselves, I am adding them to my cookie platters this year.
They are choclate covered marshmallows with peppermint!!

One bag large marshmallows
1 container chocolate (White)16 oz. CandiQuick (most grocery stores carry some type of this chocolate made for the microwave)
peppermint candies( chopped)Star Brites made by Brachs

Melt the chocolate in microwave 45 seconds stir then do 20 sec. till melted.
Roll the marshmallows in chocolate then in the crushed peppermint. place on a piece of wax paper. it will firm up or place in fridge 30 minutes, or freezer for 10 minutes. They are so Awesome in hot chocolate or by themselves. It was a big hit today!! half makes 20 marshmallows.

Thanks for sharing,
Pansy711
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #626  

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I made the pretezel things in large batches over the past few days. I am having a problem with getting the kiss to firm up. I tried different times, but when I put them in the oven for less than 2 minutes (even if only shortened by 10 secs) the kiss is only melted about 1/3 down from the tip so I can't smoosh the M&M in. If I do it longer thean 2 mins, they won't harden. So, then I tried taking the ones that wouldn't harden and pop them in the freezer for a few minutes. Now, the ones that I put in the freezer have the M&M discolors and there are white spots on the melted kiss.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, how long should they store in an air tight container? I was hoping, when I first started making them, that I could make them ahead of time and store until Christmas.

TIA!
Courtney
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #627  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco1019View Post
I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I made the pretezel things in large batches over the past few days. I am having a problem with getting the kiss to firm up. I tried different times, but when I put them in the oven for less than 2 minutes (even if only shortened by 10 secs) the kiss is only melted about 1/3 down from the tip so I can't smoosh the M&M in. If I do it longer thean 2 mins, they won't harden. So, then I tried taking the ones that wouldn't harden and pop them in the freezer for a few minutes. Now, the ones that I put in the freezer have the M&M discolors and there are white spots on the melted kiss.

What am I doing wrong?

Courtney
I've had this problem too. I'd love to know the answer...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #628  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco1019View Post

What am I doing wrong?

Also, how long should they store in an air tight container? I was hoping, when I first started making them, that I could make them ahead of time and store until Christmas.

TIA!
Courtney
I've made thousands of these things, and this does sometimes happen. I think humidity might affect hardening.

But, most of the time they come out just fine.

Immediately out of the oven, I put the m&ms in. I then bang the pan on the counter to set the choc and fill any little open areas in the rings. I put the pan in the fridge (not freezer) right away and leave it there for at least 10 mins.

I do get white marks on the choc at times, but it is very faint.

I think the rings last approx 2 weeks. The pretzel part gets a little stale after that.

Check your oven temp for the melting problem. Some people set the oven at 250, but others have better luck at 275.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #629  
Gallery Gazer

I'm wondering if you are using the plain milk chocolate or dark chocolate kisses. I kind of think the ones that have a filling in might not melt and set up right. I have made many of these but never w/ the kisses, I always use a rolo candy, and then push a cashew in the top of it. I also use a microwave to do this I don't put it in the oven. That way you can only do a few and they don't harden up before you can put your cashew on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #630  
Crimping Master

Wow - love all the recipe ideas on here! ...now to find time to bake!!

A couple of things I'm doing craft-wise this Christmas are:

- participating in Secret Santa at our office. You have to do a gift for each day of the week and then a big finale on Friday. I made the origami boxes from the tutorial here and put an ornament in each one for Mon-Thursday and then I bought a bigger gift for Friday. I'm happy with how they turned out!
Secret Santa boxes by Les' Girl at Splitcoaststampers
Secret Santa boxes by Les' Girl at Splitcoaststampers

- in my craft club we are drawing names and making a 'pretties' kit for each other. The rules are that you can't spend more than $10 on it and that you have to make whatever the kit is presented in. I've had so much fun making embellishements and finding embellishments and ribbons to share!! I'll post a picture when I get it finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #631  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazz4View Post
I also use a microwave to do this I don't put it in the oven. That way you can only do a few and they don't harden up before you can put your cashew on top.
HOLY BUCKETS! I never even thought of using the microwave! *smacking forehead*

We made the awesome sugar cookies with cream cheese in the recipe yesterday. After cutting out a double batch, we've decided that the next time we'll roll balls instead. LOL Yummy cookies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #632  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for asking about the kisses. I'm going to be making them with the grandson this week. I'll be sure to bang the pan. I am also going to check my oven temp. I will be using an unfamilar stove. At those low temps a few degrees might make a big difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #633  
Pearl-ExPert

I just wanted to say I made the oreo truffles this weekend and OMG they are delisous! I have to forget that I have them, or else I will eat them all! And they were so easy to make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #634  
Stazon Splitcoast

For everyone having trouble with melting/dipping chocolate, this is what I got a few Christmases ago and it makes everything soooo easy for a very small price!

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?v...SEARCH-_-K5851

You don't have to worry about scorching the chocolate in the microwave or getting water from a double boiler in it. It keeps the chocolate at the perfect consistency the entire time you're working, so you don't have to worry about working quickly before the chocolate hardens. plus it come with fun little tools and molds and stuff! I've used it for chocolate covered pretzels, the Oreo truffles, candy molds, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #635  
Glitter Queen

Default Oreo Truffles

Silly question here...do the truffles need to stay refrigerated after they're made? I want to give tins of mixed goodies and I know they won't make it right back into the fridge for everyone.

Thank you!! And thanks for all the great ideas here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #636  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlissfulChaosView Post
Silly question here...do the truffles need to stay refrigerated after they're made? I want to give tins of mixed goodies and I know they won't make it right back into the fridge for everyone.

I left mine in the fridge as the Oreo part gets really soft and since it is made with cream cheese, I wouldn't want to leave it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #637  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the great recipes and ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #638  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlissfulChaosView Post

They do need refrigerated since they contain cream cheese.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #639  
Kookie Creator

Default Updated compilation

Alright ladies, here's everything so far in word and pdf format. If anyone has problems with them pm me and I can email them to you.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Christmas Recipes and Ideas.doc (186.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: pdf Christmas Recipes and Ideas.pdf (160.1 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #640  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjc820View Post
For everyone having trouble with melting/dipping chocolate, this is what I got a few Christmases ago and it makes everything soooo easy for a very small price!

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?v...SEARCH-_-K5851

You don't have to worry about scorching the chocolate in the microwave or getting water from a double boiler in it. It keeps the chocolate at the perfect consistency the entire time you're working, so you don't have to worry about working quickly before the chocolate hardens. plus it come with fun little tools and molds and stuff! I've used it for chocolate covered pretzels, the Oreo truffles, candy molds, etc.
Thanks sooo much for the link! I am bookmarked it and plan to buy one for next year (all my choc. creations are done). Great tip
Stef
Reply With Quote Likes