Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 805 Likes on 328 Posts
Default What colors Distress Ink do you use most?

Hobby Lobby has ink pads 40% off, and I'm not sure what colors they will have, but I can afford to get one or two.

What do you like to do with it? I've always used Ancient Page around the edges of torn paper to get an old feel, but I hear so much about distress, that I'd like to try one.

They also have cardstock 50% off and I need lots of that!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the one I use the most is the brown one, cant even remember the name hahaha.
so sorry, will look for the name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Beware - Distress inks are addicting and once you buy one or two you'll want more!

I think you're a purples and pinks kind of gal so you might want to look at Dusty Concord (a nice purple) and one of the pinks (Spun Sugar is very light and pretty, Victorian Velvet is richer and very slightly brown-toned, Tattered Rose is delicate with a slightly peachy tone).

If you're looking to "age" edges for a vintage look then Antique Linen is extremely versatile. That and Vintage Photo are probably my most used Distress pads and I always say I would fight anyone who tried to take them from me :lol:

I do all sorts with my Distress ink - stamp with them, sponge them on, brayer them, use them as watercolours. You can even use them with embossing powders even though they're a dye-based ink because the formulation means they stay wet for long enough for powder to stick.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #4  

Thank you Joanne! I do love purples and pinks... and blue of course:0 I printed your response to take to the store with me, I'll see how much I can afford to get. Now that I finally have time for arts and crafts, I have no money, cause I retired! arrrgh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I love ALL of the Dis. Inks!! Yes, they are addicting!! I have over a dozen, and at a stamp convention in the spring, I took my list of colors, and purchased ALL of the re-inkers!! I still don't have all the colors though. I'll have to work on that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ah, blues - now you're talking my language :lol: I gravitate to greens and blues myself so my Distress collection is quite well stocked for those!

Tumbled Glass is absolutely lovely - a delicate turquoise blue shade. Broken China is its more intense sibling. Chipped Sapphire is a deep, intense blue, Faded Jeans is exactly what the name suggests and Stormy Sky is a slightly grey-toned mid blue.

If you get hooked, maybe you could start adding some colours to a wish list for gifts when it comes round to birthday or Christmas if your friends and family are the gift-giving types? My folks never have a clue what to get me and I find a wish-list of crafty stuff is very helpful in steering them in the right direction!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain are the ones I went for in the distress stain as I use the inks so much on card bases. But Joanne is right - they're addictive. To those two I would add Antique Linen, Vintage Photo, Faded Jeans - and I like the reds: Barn Door, Worn Lipstick, Fired Brick.
Maybe I need to try the Chipped Sapphire - what I'd really like is a sort of aqua / petrol/ teal blue.
Personally I find Spun Sugar so pale that it, along with Milled Lavender, are probably the LEAST used in my collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fav is brushed corduroy. it never leaves my desk.
(which is a brown shade, if you're wondering...)
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Another vote for tattered rose. I also use antique linen, denim, the brick colored one. I have about 8 of them and I really love them all. I don't think you can go wrong. Just pick the colors you like most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #10  

I'm back from Hobby Lobby and I did NOT go over my budget! You all would be so proud of me I had complete tunnel vision... I didn't look at anything while walking to the back of the store... I headed straight for the paper aisle, selected colors from my list, then went to the next aisle to look at distress inks. I saw a faint glimmer in my peripheral vision of something new.... but I did NOT let it distract me. (I think there were some new Tim Holtz products, but as I said - complete and total concentration was in play. I could only choose ONE, so I selected "vintage photo." I used my calculator and made the necessary computations for the sale prices and proceeded directly to the check-out counter without looking at a single item on those most attractive displays.

I'm home, and I am utterly and undeniably exhausted from exercising so much self control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Maybe I need to try the Chipped Sapphire - what I'd really like is a sort of aqua / petrol/ teal blue.
I'd put Tumbled glass in the aqua range, Sabrina. Hang on, let me find a card to attach for you. Most of the colour swash there is Tumbled Glass, just a tiny bit of Broken China towards the bottom and a couple of crayon steaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I'm back from Hobby Lobby and I did NOT go over my budget! You all would be so proud of me
Yay, well done you! Vintage Photo will serve you very well to produce the "aged paper" look and it looks great stamped onto kraft for a tone on tone look. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
What colors Distress Ink do you use most?-onelayerfish.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #12  

LOVE the blue fishy Joanne, I can see the hint of greens on her too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I too, love your fish Joanne!! Nicely done!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I love (and have) all 36! I use Vintage Photo or Walnut Stain on nearly everything.

Vic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I adore Distress inks and all things Tim Holtz. Broken China, Tumbled Glass, Worn lipstick and peeled paint get used sooooo often as does tea dye, old paper and antique linen. I have them all. The only one I don't use as often is the Milled Lavender. I use the other purple but for some reason this one doesn't get much play in my stamping. Now I am using some distress stains and am in love with them too. But I wll only get the ones I know I will use since I have all the ink and reinkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #16  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I'd put Tumbled glass in the aqua range, Sabrina. Hang on, let me find a card to attach for you. Most of the colour swash there is Tumbled Glass, just a tiny bit of Broken China towards the bottom and a couple of crayon steaks.

Yay, well done you! Vintage Photo will serve you very well to produce the "aged paper" look and it looks great stamped onto kraft for a tone on tone look. Have fun!
I have the Tumbled Glass, and use it a lot. It's not even that Chipped Sapphire is quite what I'm looking for - but I know I'll use it. I used to have a ColorBox pigment catseye that was a gorgeous blue, but I don't think there's anything like it in the distress inks. It's crumbled from age and over-use at this stage and I had to throw it out.

Vintage Photo is definitely a great choice , but I bet as soon as there's another good offer you'll want to get some more. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't find Milled Lavender easy to use ;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I use all the browns the most -- Old Paper, Vintage Photo, etc. Never have used blues or purples, occasionally used greens.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #18  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Milled Lavender gets it's fair share of play time on my desk. I like those 'barely there' colours. I do believe Vintage Photo was one of my first buys too. Good choise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I use all the browns the most -- Old Paper, Vintage Photo, etc. Never have used blues or purples, occasionally used greens.
Mary Beth
Mary Beth,
I'm not even sure why these pads are so different for allll the other pads I have, I just had to try it out to see what everyone is talking about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 04:38 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I have all 24 of the original colors and I love them! I wish I had the others but I don't know where I could put them, LOL! I love the Broken China, Vintage Photo, Tea Dye, Spiced Marmalade and Peeled Paint the most. I don't use the pink and lavenders very much because they are not really my color.
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Joanne's right. Once you have a couple, you want them all! I'm a green loving kinda gal, so Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters, Bundled Sage and Crushed Olive are my go-to colors most often, but I got 'em all and I use 'em all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone think these pads do dry out a little quicker than normal? I had to purchase all the re-inkers, as several of mine were even kinda dry when I purchased them. Anyone else??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just recently started my collection of distressed inks. All of my pads are really juicy but not to overflowing. I did buy the embossing pad and this is the exception - have to make sure I keep it stored flat because the fluid is overflowing into the lid ridge.

Watched some Tim Holtz tutorials and have been trying some of his techniques. They seem to be very versatile.

Does any one have a favorite way to store their pads. The lids are lose so you can't store them on their sides but I need a space saving storage method.

One complaint I have is that I can't get a good grip on the lid to remove it when I want to use the pad. Usually, end up flipping it into my lap or on my desk top-any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #24  

Money Saver

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiescView Post
Joanne's right. Once you have a couple, you want them all! I'm a green loving kinda gal, so Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters, Bundled Sage and Crushed Olive are my go-to colors most often, but I got 'em all and I use 'em all!
I'm trying so hard not to want more lol! I even counted allll my stamp pads to tell myself see you don't need any more, you must use the 120 + you already have! Not working very well.... I want some of the blues to make ocean backgrounds with... then of course I need a couple more Fred Mullet fish. I mean just look at these they are gorgeous, and they are just calling my name.. hear that? http://www.fredbmullett.com/mullett/index.htm

No no ... bad Carole, you retired early, you only have a part time job.... remember who you are married to? yeah, He'll be real happy to see money flying out the door.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
Does anyone think these pads do dry out a little quicker than normal? I had to purchase all the re-inkers, as several of mine were even kinda dry when I purchased them. Anyone else??
All my pads have been really juicy. Antique Linen was the first reinker I had to buy and I had used the pad a lot for well over a year, maybe over two.

Do you live in a really dry climate or anything? Or maybe the store you got them from didn't store them well before you purchased or something. I've never heard anybody say a newly-purchased Distress pad seemed dry.

I think your gift wish-list just got longer, Carole! Those fish stamps are lovely, though.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

I get the re-inkers for all stamp pads "just in case", but I have found that my Antique Linen seems to dry out faster than any of then and I too have thought overall distress seems to dry out faster. I live in a very humid climate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #27  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

I've certainly never had any that were remotely dry at the time of purchase - that doesn't sound good. I bought most of the re-inkers because I use them a lot for colouring. So between colouring and using foam for sponging I reckon I use them a LOT more than pads I *just* stamp with, so it's hard to make a like for like comparison as to whether they dry up faster. I've had to re-ink most of my StazOn pads too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh... I love my distress inks. I am terrible about making decisions so I just had to get all of them. :-) The ones I use the most would be:

Antique Linen
Walnut Stain

I'm trying to think of which ones I haven't really used lately, and that would be Black Soot. I just never seem to reach for that one when I have black Stazon and black Memento ink right in front of me.

Now, come to think of it, I have a weird question for y'all. Is your Mahogany ink pad sort of ummm patina'd? I've got a weird oil slick type of rainbow on that ink pad - very similar to the ones I have on my red SU ink pads (Real Red & Burgundy). Is it just something about that red color??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you Joanne, and Sabrina!! I did get my pads on a clearance, so they may have been sitting for awhile. I did buy all the re-inkers, so they are fine now. I juiced them up!! And I love all the ones I currently have!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #30  

On the way to the grocery store, I stopped by Hobby Lobby and got 3 more. But they were on SALE - 3 dollars a piece - and I got money out of "somebody's change jar" He'll never miss it.... The lady at the check out didn't even laugh when I gave her 9 dollars in quarters. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

:lol: at Carole counting out quarters, I bet that was quite a sight! What colours did you get this time?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to use Tea Dye first then Marmalade then Walnut Stain last. Personally I think it gives a little warmer feel than just one colour. Have a look to see what I mean F4A73 Happy Birthday Apples by Mrs Noofy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
:lol: at Carole counting out quarters, I bet that was quite a sight! What colours did you get this time?
I got faded jeans, tumbled glass, and crushed olive. (they only had 12 colors) You know that blending tool that Tim Holtz shows how to use in his videos? I already have the Clearsnap stylus. I tried it, and the application works fine, but the color is muddy. I've used them with pigment inks, but I don't see why I couldn't wash them and then use those foam tips instead of buying anything else:confused:

How do you blend yours?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I made my own tool like TH ones by buying the Cut and Dry foam and adhering them to my leftover SU blocks from when I unmounted. This was before TH had the new foam, which I think is a little better so I may eventually upgrade.
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #35  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liannallamaView Post
I made my own tool like TH ones by buying the Cut and Dry foam and adhering them to my leftover SU blocks from when I unmounted. This was before TH had the new foam, which I think is a little better so I may eventually upgrade.
I'm still trying to decide whether the difference between the cut 'n' dry foam and the new style applicators is that I'm using the new ones on the handle and the cut 'n' dry in my hand. But to be honest I think the bigger difference is whether I'm working on a non-stick mat or not.
So for sc magnolia, I think you could certainly go with cleaning the applicators you have and trying them again. If you do a search down in the Products and in the Techniques sections I think there are threads with some good tips and links on blending/sponging. This is one of the threads I was thinking of - Sponging by bound4london at Splitcoaststampers. The daubers that are mentioned there, I've noticed several people mentioning that they prefer the large sponge daubers to the Tim Holtz tool. Certainly the type of paper you're using does make a difference - the smoother the paper, the smoother the result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #36  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've bought the Cut-N-Dry stamp foam but I've never opened it up to use it yet. I did have plans to adhere a piece to a wooden block to use as my applicator. But I find the good old fashion sponge works well for me.

I'd be interested to know from those with experience, if the Cut-N-Dry actually does a superior job of blending over sponging. Or is it just another nifty tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'm a cheapskate! I buy big car wash sponges from the local �1 shop (like your dollar stores) and cut off chunks to use for applying inks. I rinse them out every now and again and then when they start to get a bit too tatty I toss them and cut a new chunk off the original sponge. As long as you get a sponge with a close cell structure (the sort that stays its original shape and spongy when it's dry) it works great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
I'd be interested to know from those with experience, if the Cut-N-Dry actually does a superior job of blending over sponging. Or is it just another nifty tool.
I have some Cut n Dry (but no applicator) and to be honest Theresa, I prefer my car wash sponges!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

I use Vintage Photo the most. I use it on the edges to give the paper that aged feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

I use Vintage Photo and Antique Linen the most. I agree, these ARE addictive! I have just about every color. I purchased them one at a time at Michael's with my 40% off coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #40  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
I've bought the Cut-N-Dry stamp foam but I've never opened it up to use it yet. I did have plans to adhere a piece to a wooden block to use as my applicator. But I find the good old fashion sponge works well for me.

I tried the foam tip on the stylus tool and it did not blend well. Sea sponge is porous so I'm thinking that won't work.

Next, I'll try a make up sponge. I'm not going to buy anything else.... This is just sucking me in. Buy new product... then you need tools to make new product work. uh huh, no way. I will try what I already have.

Last edited by sc magnolia; 08-26-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes