Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What chair do you work in?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum - but was curious what chairs you all use when you are card making and crafting? I've been working every night recently and my back is pretty much screaming in pain. My husband suggested a kneeling chair but it's a bit pricey if it doesn't work. Has anyone else tried using a kneeling chair when crafting?

Right now I have kind of a standard office type chair - with a short back support. I have the option of using a larger office chair that leans backward but I don't think that's going to help because I have to lean forward for most of the work.

So, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a bar-height workspace so I use a cheap fold up bar stool from Wal Mart. Not the best choice. I usually kick it to the side and stand. To me standing is easier because I'm constantly reaching for things, getting up to pull something from a shelf, or my rear end falls asleep on the stool, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd love a bar height work space but we just spent a few hundred setting it up as it is so that's unfortunately not an option right now. :( In a year or two we will be finishing the attic and that will become my new craft room so perhaps I can do that up there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I use an office chair with adjustable arms/height and back, with good padding on the seat and a back that reclines. I'm an administrative assistant by day and find a good chair that meets all the ergonomic requirements is key, especially after I sit all day and then sit some more while "creating". I find I do a combination of sitting and standing because I like to look down on my pieces as I'm trying to place them on the card properly. I read that tip somewhere, to look down on it when placing layers on equally. The getting up and down periodically also helps with circulation in the legs and strain on the back/neck as well.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love a kneeling chair. I'm not sure how much they are, but it'd be a worthwhile investment. Conisder the cost over the long term benefits. You'll only ever have to buy one chair. Your back will love you for and you can reach things that would be out of reach if you were sitting in a traditional chair because you have greater upper body mobility.

My 2nd choice of chair would be a Herman Miller chair but I'd have to win the lottery to get one of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 832 Likes on 338 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
...was curious what chairs you all use when you are card making and crafting? Has anyone else tried using a kneeling chair when crafting?
A friend of mine had one of the kneeling chairs and didn't like it. I sat/kneeled in it a couple times and it felt weird to me. It can't be good for your knees can it?

I have an adjustable office chair that I love. I can raise/lower, recline, swivel, roll, adjust back, and it is nicely padded. I bought it on sale at Staples a few years ago to use at school, because we didn't have any teacher chairs. When they finally bought some for us, I brought home
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I may not be any help...I stand or sort of prop myself up against a bar stool. My counter in my scrapbook room is traditional counter height, which is very comfortable for me to work at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Last year, for Christmas, I requested a gift card for Staples to buy myself an office chair. I am not very tall so didn't attach the arms so could swivel it better without it hitting my worktable. This chair works for me until one of my cats wants me to 'share' the chair with them. The seat height & position are adjustable as is the back. I was using an old cheapy student chair that was gradually coming undone-screws were falling out of their screw holes and the back would not stay locked in position.

As the OP said, getting up every now and then is good for the back. I have to get up to reach paper, die cutting machine, etc. So the ergonomic chair and the getting up works for me. Sometimes, I just stand and stretch- up and down.

Good luck on your search-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can relate. I need a better chair, too. Right now I sit on a folding card table chair, with an old sofa pillow for a cushion!

I have a pretty good office chair at my computer, but it has wheels and I can't use it at my stamping table because of the carpet.

I do get up and down a lot, so most of the time it doesn't bother my back unless I sit still too long at one time.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I can relate. I need a better chair, too. Right now I sit on a folding card table chair, with an old sofa pillow for a cushion!

I have a pretty good office chair at my computer, but it has wheels and I can't use it at my stamping table because of the carpet.

I do get up and down a lot, so most of the time it doesn't bother my back unless I sit still too long at one time.
Staples here in Canada sells a cheap plastic mat that sits on top of carpet so your chair can wheel on it. I think the original purpose is to prevent static electricity forming from the wheels running through carpet. Did you know you can fry a computer pretty quickly by dragging the tower across carpeted floors. The tower should always be up off of the floor and not sitting on any type of carpet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Perhaps it isn't the chair but your posture. You may be hunched over and not realize it. There is a thing (I don't recall the name of it but it's black) that some sewers use to keep from hunching over. It's weighted and I believe hangs from the shoulders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

My boss at my last job got me a very nice chair from Office Depot that had the Chiropractic stamp of approval...if that means anything. But it was high backed and very well padded with an extra padded spot right where your lower back is. I love this chair so I went and got one for my stamp room.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for some in put on chairs, I have been needed one as mine are not very comfortable and when I work for long periods at a time my back, arms, and shoulders hurt. Most of it is from sitting too low for my work space that my arms have to be raised in an unnatural height. My chairs just will not adjust to the way I work. Now when I am at my high table I stand. Weird, that table has a very comforable high stool that I end up pushing out of the way becasue I walk back and forth reaching for things too much to sit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Arms on any chair are very important. They have to be set at the proper height though so as to not make your shoulders raise too high while at the same time prevent you from slouching in the chair and supporting your posture. Because our torsos are all different, they should be adjustable side to side and up and down as well. Years ago I had a kinesiologist do a workplace assessment. I was doing a large amount of dictaphone typing and was on the verge of getting carpal tunnel. I had all the key symptoms and was in a lot of pain. I couldn't even wring out a dish cloth without pain spreading from my wrist right up into my shoulder. All her suggestions prevented it from progressing and and I never did have to have the dreaded operation. You'd be surprised what a difference even an inch can make in the height of a desk especially when reaching repeatedly to answer a phone or for holding a keyboard for repetitive typing. These same motions can be similar to what we do while creating - sliding the paper cutter, running the ATG across our work, folding paper, typing ribbon, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I made my work station such that I can stand when I work...so no chair. I can't sit and work...it's like sitting squashes my creativity. Standing helps me think better. I know...that's weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I use an office chair with adjustable arms/height and back, with good padding on the seat and a back that reclines. I'm an administrative assistant by day and find a good chair that meets all the ergonomic requirements is key, especially after I sit all day and then sit some more while "creating".

I hope this helps.
Same for me and I adjust it every now and then to keep it ergonomic. I also have a footsie (little foot rest) and that really saves my back.

I get up every now and then for supplies and to take a break. I walk around (actually go to the fridge for a snack ...snort). But it does help to move around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I use an office chair I found on CL. It's amazingly comfortable. If you're having back trouble, you could try an exercise ball, too.
Reply With Quote Likes