Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Warped stamp? Or is it "User Error"??

Hi, I just rec'd a SU background stamp that I ordered off Ebay. This is the first time I have used such a large stamp but it does not seem to stamp all the way onto the page. Almost as if it is warped. Is that possible? The wood mount looks fine I think but I don't get a complete image of the background. It's "Linen" I think it's called. Is there a special way to stamp with the giant sized stamps? Thank you
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that one but have not used it for a long time. I have found that I get a much more even coat of ink if I used the brayer to put the ink on the stamp. Then when I stamp it, I just use good even pressure all the way around. I have much better luck also if I can stamp on a table that is lower than my counter top. Hope this helps! Oh ---and I think some stampers ink the stamp and lay stamp side up, then cardstock and then use the brayer over the cardstock to stamp. That can also help get the whole design! Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

<--------off to Google "Brayer" haha! I put the ink on the stamp rather than the stamp on the ink, seems that is how lots of the ladies that make videos do it and I am a total copy cat!!! I was wondering if it might be the ink I am using also. I use that distressed ink and sometimes the images don't come out clear. I suppose that is the point now that I think about it...I am not so much looking to "distress" anything, but I love the colors! Thanks for the tips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

those big stamps can be a little troublesome, I found a new trick thanks to the unmounted stamps. The new stamps need a little pad under them when you stamp, I just let it sit on my table. Well you probable figured it out, that little bit of pad under the paper made my big stamp come out perfect. Give it a try but be carefull to make sure the corners on the rubber are clean or that ink will transfer also. Happy stamping....
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I stamp large area stamps upside down. Ink the image really well and place the stamp on the table ink side up. Then place the paper on the stamp and gently rub it with your fingers so that all the paper gets rubbed onto the surface of the stamp. Then lift the paper.

I was taught this technique AFTER I tried all kinds of surfaces, inks, papers, and lost a few clumps of hair during trial and errors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks everyone! I am going to try putting the paper to the stamp. I misunderstood what Ridiculously Obsessed was saying...I was thinking "ink" for some reason and not "paper". Oh...and it's not "Linen" it's "Canvas" oops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have found that it also depends on the surface of the table you stamp on too. I have lots of the big stamps. I cannot stamp on a folding table, the kind that is white and they sell at Costco. At least that's where I got mine. I have a solid wood dining table I use to stamp on as that gives it a solid impression. The folding tables give a bend in the middle of the stamp when you press down. I also would not use a distressed ink pad as that may be too light. I stand up too and give it a solid press and then walk my fingers around the whole stamp to make sure it makes a good impression on the paper. Hope that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I used to do the paper to stamp method, but now I put the paper on the floor, place the stamp on it, and stand on the stamp. My paper would sometimes slide when I put it on the stamp and that's why I started doing it this way. Sometimes I place a stamping pad (cushion) on the floor, then the paper and stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

LOL I used to have that problem too! Try what the other gals have suggested to.

I might add you have to get off your tushee to use the big background stamps.:rolleyes:

Yes,that's right stand up and smell the ink!~ If you stand and then press the stamp down you will have more leverage and you will get a more even image. If you don't then the centre doesn't show up. Place your CS on top of something like I use a mouse pad or a garden pad or even a magazine will do if you are in a pinch or at crop and didn't bring Everything with you!

Don't stamp directly on to CS on to the table top. Yes, and really the type of table you use makes a difference too.

Or you can do the reverse flip stamp..... stamp/ink/ cs/piece of computer paper then apply the brayer!

good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw a video where a lady stamped a background stamp on paper on top of a phone book. It came out perfectly (the first time she showed it, she did it on the table only and it missed a few places).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stand on it. I keep a 1' square piece of good-on-one-side plywood under my storage cabinet and pull it out when I need to stamp a large wood-mounted stamp. Works every single time, especially with Linen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

Yep, Linen and Canvas are frequently a problem.

I do the upside down, paper to the stamp method. I just have to be careful to make sure I rub the paper evenly over the whole thing.

I've heard of some folks who set their inked stamp face up on the seat of the chair, put the cardstock on it, cover it with a piece of scrap paper that's bigger than the image...then they sit on it! I think they called it "butt-stampin"! ;)
Butt Stampin'! by Rubber Stamp Nut at Splitcoaststampers
Butt Stampin? by LSN at Splitcoaststampers
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 11-04-2011 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes