Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Want More Comments On Your Blog?

I'm guessing I'm not the only one around here who doesn't have a Blog or any of the social networking accounts needed to Comment on some Stampers' blogs. I'll type out my Comment only to find it will get dumped because that blog doesn't allow Comments from those who don't have certain Accounts or Readers or a web site or a blog of their own.

I'm happy to leave my name and my e-mail address when I comment, but why won't you let me have that opportunity? Maybe there are lots of us who don't have the time or the talent for owning a blog or a web site or a social networking site. Wouldn't you like to read our admiring Comments anyway? Wouldn't you like to hear how you inspire us and help us maybe some day turn out cards good enough to Blog about? If you want more lovin' of your work, maybe you could change your comment section to accept it from whoever wants to give it.

Just sayin' :-)

Bahb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

well, speaking for myself... my blog does not allow "anonymous" comments because, they tend to be from the grammar police... :mrgreen:
I tend to write blog posts off sticky notes when I'm either very tired or barely awake so, having all the I's dotted and T's crossed is not really the priority for me.

So, I'm happy to receive any comments. (as long as you want to sign your name to it)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I'm guessing I'm not the only one around here who doesn't have a Blog or any of the social networking accounts needed to Comment on some Stampers' blogs. I'll type out my Comment only to find it will get dumped because that blog doesn't allow Comments from those who don't have certain Accounts or Readers or a web site or a blog of their own.

I'm happy to leave my name and my e-mail address when I comment, but why won't you let me have that opportunity? Maybe there are lots of us who don't have the time or the talent for owning a blog or a web site or a social networking site. Wouldn't you like to read our admiring Comments anyway? Wouldn't you like to hear how you inspire us and help us maybe some day turn out cards good enough to Blog about? If you want more lovin' of your work, maybe you could change your comment section to accept it from whoever wants to give it.

Just sayin' :-)

Bahb
I have been frustrated by this as well. There are various kinds of blogs, wordpress, blogger, etc. and many others I can't name. Also, I think folks can customize their blogs to accept comments in a certain format only. I see lots of blogs that say, " comment moderation", so that the blogger can look at the comment and approve it before it actually posts on their blog. That kind of thing doesn't bother me, if the comment will actually get posted eventually.

Many times I've typed up a long comment and had it disappear, and not post on the person's blog, no matter how many times I think I'm filling in the right boxes.

The ones that drive me crazy are when they have the little verification box with the crazy letters that no one can read, and you are supposed to decipher them and type them below. I have given up many times after I typed the wrong letters several times.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some bloggers choose to not accept comments using the "anonymous" because more likely than not it's going to be spam. I use comment moderation which means I see each comment and approve it before it gets posted to my blog but some bloggers who get thundreds of hits (and a ton of comments) a day probably don't have time to approve each comment. I know it's frustrating to see that I've received 10 or 12 comments only to realize each one is spam.

A lot of bloggers provide "contact me" info which includes their e-mail so if you really feel strongly about leaving a comment for someone you could try e-mailing them directly about a project.

I agree about the catpcha (or whatever it's called) verification codes...blogger switched several months ago and it is super hard to read now. I have to try 2 or 3 times to get sometimes.

Commenting here on SCS is super easy so you could stick to that? =) I've noticed that comments in general have declined lately....a lot of gorgeous creations here that have a thousand views and 1 comment.

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree completely! It drives me crazy when the blogs are locked down so tightly you can't even leave a comment.

Personally, mine is open to anonymous comments, and I don't have the word verification running either. That just takes too much time when you are trying to leave comments and half the time they are so difficult to read you can't even tell what you are supposed to type for verification. Oi.

As for spam, Blogger is REALLY good about catching spam all on its own and does not actually post them to your comments. I think it was a problem in the past, but not so much now. If their system flags a comment as spam, it waits for you to either approve the comment or permanently delete it.

When it comes down to it, if someone posts something that really bothers me, I can always delete it.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #6  

Michelle is right, blogger is really good about weeding out the spam comments. The word verification thing is a pain and thanks to someone here she helped me remove that from my blog. Music is what drives me crazy! Most of the time I just close the window because it really slows down my computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #7  

I thought I would mention that there is a blog comment thread in the blogging section. I can't link it here (I'm not on my computer at the moment).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #8  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think I have mine set so anyone can comment (I think- I have no clue) and I don't have to approve comments unless they are written by "anonymous" then I have to approve them. Usually they are spam or wanting me to try something to grow a part bigger (which I don't have)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for convincing me to turn off my word verification. Hopefully the spammers stay away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I think a lot of people get sucked in to blogger's defaults without really thinking about them. Personally, I have anonymous commenting enabled on my blog and positively welcome you and others like you Bahb who don't have accounts in the various places that would have you "signed in" for commenting but do have the time and generosity to leave some love as you look at people's projects.

To be honest, the spam comes more from not having word verification switched on than it does from allowing "anonymous" commenting. Since Blogger introduced spam filtering though it's really not an issue - I've had just a couple of spam comments actually published on my blog and only one genuine comment mis-identified as spam. I'd encourage everyone using Blogger to allow anonymous commenting and switch off word verification!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,316 Likes on 2,500 Posts

I too allow anyone to comment on my blog and have taken off the word (or whatever they are.......) verification part. I have even asked other bloggers who I visit often to take off that part--it is so frustrating and un-necessary. I too think Blogger is getting much better at spam as I have not had a spam comment in close to a year.

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijoView Post
I think I have mine set so anyone can comment (I think- I have no clue) and I don't have to approve comments unless they are written by "anonymous" then I have to approve them. Usually they are spam or wanting me to try something to grow a part bigger (which I don't have)

I had mine set for everyone to leave a comment...Until yesterday. I changed it. Because I had someone attacking me on my blog. Leaving bad things.

Now I have it set so I need to see the comment first. If I don't like what it contains. Then it's NOT going to get posted.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I had mine set for everyone to leave a comment...Until yesterday. I changed it. Because I had someone attacking me on my blog. Leaving bad things.

Now I have it set so I need to see the comment first. If I don't like what it contains. Then it's NOT going to get posted.
I just do not understand cyber-bullying on stamp blogs! Maybe on a political blog, which might get people riled up. But really, saying bad things to an innocent stamper? Shame on you, whoever you are!

Sorry that happened to you, Jean.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #14  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

well boo Jean :(

as for the anonymous comments- I get about a one to two a week that I have to delete instead of publish but before that I was getting about 6-7 a week. I also have it enabled on any post older than 14 days I think. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal (that part). If it's a real comment then I approve it as soon as I can get to the computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

And even if you set up Blogger in the past so that the word verification wasn't required, when Blogger updated its format a while back, it defaulted back to the word verification. I had no idea mine had switched to word verification, and was embarrassed to realize that it was turned on, during a big OWH blog hop. As soon as I realized it, I removed it again, because like others say, the spam filter has been stopping everything anyway, and who needs the hassle of having to jump through hoops to say something nice to you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is an interesting post. I never thought too much about people who might not have the "right" accounts. I always allowed any and all comments on my blog until a few months ago. I started getting upwards of 10 - 15 comments per day made anonymously by spammers. It got to be really annoying so I turned off allowing anonymous comments. I have been meaning to turn it back on to see if it has gotten better. Thanks for the reminder. I dislike word verification and will never use it. I don't use comment moderation, because I do get a fair amount of comments on some posts and would rather spend my "computer" time doing something more productive . LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't really get many visitors but had heard about people having issues so I turned on word verification.... shortly after that, I had found myself struggling with it leaving comments for others, and you're right, it was frustrating! So I turned off word verification and switched to comment moderation.

Someone like Tim Holtz - I completely understand why he has to have word verification... but it took me three tries the other day before 'captcha' or whatever it is finally showed some mercy and gave me something simple ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #18  

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I have been frustrated by this as well. There are various kinds of blogs, wordpress, blogger, etc. and many others I can't name. Also, I think folks can customize their blogs to accept comments in a certain format only. I see lots of blogs that say, " comment moderation", so that the blogger can look at the comment and approve it before it actually posts on their blog. That kind of thing doesn't bother me, if the comment will actually get posted eventually.

Many times I've typed up a long comment and had it disappear, and not post on the person's blog, no matter how many times I think I'm filling in the right boxes.

The ones that drive me crazy are when they have the little verification box with the crazy letters that no one can read, and you are supposed to decipher them and type them below. I have given up many times after I typed the wrong letters several times.
I don't have the verification box on my blog nor do I limit any comments. All comments are excepted after I read them, I post them. Only once did I not post a comment, because the writer was ranting and raving about the verification box (which I didn't even know was turned on) it was rude and I was embarrassed so I didn't post it.

I'd be glad to have visit my blog and comment away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorted. I got rid of the verification a long time ago. Some contest links ask for it to be disabled and that is when I did it. Checked again today and sorted it all out.

Doubt it will make any difference to my comment numbers though! LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

ITA - I love to leave love but if the word verification thing drives me bonkers. After three tries I usually just give up. Wordpress blogs are hard for me too - they keep asking me to sign in to an account I don't have so I end up leaving without leaving a comment :(
Personally I have blogger set to accept any comments and have never had a big issue with spam or anonymous comments - but maybe I'm just not a big enough fish??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #21  

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

This thread made me double check my blog to see if I still had word verification turned on. I was glad to discover that I turned it off and I accept comments from everybody :-)

Word verification doesn't usually bother me when I'm commenting on others blogs but sometimes when I have an issue with it I just don't end up leaving a comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I was getting daily spam comments so I turned mine on to moderate them. They weren't mean or spiteful, just ads and stuff. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #23  

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
I was getting daily spam comments so I turned mine on to moderate them. They weren't mean or spiteful, just ads and stuff. :(
Mindykid I'm soooo curious. You use Blogger too, you get spam without the word verification on. I don't have it turned on and I never have gotten one spam. I wonder what makes some people get them and others not when using Blogger?

go figure!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Mindykid I'm soooo curious. You use Blogger too, you get spam without the word verification on. I don't have it turned on and I never have gotten one spam. I wonder what makes some people get them and others not when using Blogger?

go figure!!
Depends on which spammers are using what kind of software to search for blogs. It's only a matter of time before some spam spider finds your email address or blog address and puts it in a database.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #25  
ckv
Kookie Creator

Wow, wished I get people following my blog...since no one visits me I don't even have to bother filtering. But I do agree, when I go to my favorite blogger's page and tried to leave a nice comment it is rather deterring. After a few tries (because I had forgotten my password), I just give up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm, very interesting thread. I use wordpress and have never had an issue with spam for these past few years I've been using it. Once I approve a comment, all comments from that source are then automatically posted since WP recognizes the source as being 'friendly'. So from my side of the blog things are going very well.

But to be honest I have no idea what the process is for someone to post a comment on my blog. I've asked some blogger users if commenting is difficult, and they've said no. I've had comments from non bloggers, so I would assume there was no issue for them either. Or maybe they just got lucky. I can't recall ever getting an anonymous comment from someone though.

Bahb, I'd love for you to leave me a test comment and give me feedback about the process from your POV. I don't have, (or use and remember), accounts and readers so I have issues with commenting on blogs that require anything other than my WP account, which naturally I use all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I use blogger. I have anonymous comments allowed, as well as name(just need to type a first name) as well as the usual defaults. I need to allow anonymous as a lot of my family and friends don't have the other options and find that those make it possible for them to participate. I also turned off the word verification as it was really hard for my mom and some others. I find them getting harder and harder to deal with. I just approve the comments and so far they do a good job at blocking my spam. I try to make it as easy as possible as it is great to hear from people. I am finding it such a fun way to share, and "meet" people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #28  

Winnie, your blog was definietly easy to comment on which was a breath of fresh air for a commenter like me. I was just about ready to give up on commenting on blogger. For me all Typepad, Wordpress users, and only a handful of Bloggers get comments from me, and not for lack of trying either. Though I completely understand if Bloggers need to have WV on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
Winnie, your blog was definietly easy to comment on which was a breath of fresh air for a commenter like me. I was just about ready to give up on commenting on blogger. For me all Typepad, Wordpress users, and only a handful of Bloggers get comments from me, and not for lack of trying either. Though I completely understand if Bloggers need to have WV on.
Theresa, I just tried to leave a comment on your blog since WordPress are the blogs I have the most issue with. As you will see, I had NO problems at all so it must be the way the comments section is set on the individual blogs.

I think a lot of folks just leave things the way the service sets them up - especially when they are new to blogging or just not that tech savvy. Hopefully they will find their way to this thread and go make some tweaks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do people have issues with the pop up box too? I use that because I liked it on other blogs.

Also to be honest, I LIKE google reader (?) because I just log into my blog and get most of the blog updates of blogs I follow... all the others I forget about checking :?

Last edited by RiverIsis; 07-12-2012 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I don't mind the pop up box for comments. In fact, there was an issue at one time where I was unable to leave comments on blogs that did not use the pop up box...even though I have a Google account and all that. Don't know if they ever fixed the problem, but that is what prompted me to do the pop up style.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I am glad to hear it Theresa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bahb, I don't have a blog and leaving comments like most others have said after trying two or three times I end up leaving. Which is a shame because we all need that little bit of love now and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeechelleView Post
I agree completely! It drives me crazy when the blogs are locked down so tightly you can't even leave a comment.

Personally, mine is open to anonymous comments, and I don't have the word verification running either. That just takes too much time when you are trying to leave comments and half the time they are so difficult to read you can't even tell what you are supposed to type for verification. Oi.

As for spam, Blogger is REALLY good about catching spam all on its own and does not actually post them to your comments. I think it was a problem in the past, but not so much now. If their system flags a comment as spam, it waits for you to either approve the comment or permanently delete it.

When it comes down to it, if someone posts something that really bothers me, I can always delete it.
I've had a lot of problems with spam on Blogger lately. I used to have anonymous comments enabled but I was forced to turn them off. :(

ETA: A while back I switched to Google Chrome and I've noticed a *huge* reduction in the problems I had with pop-up boxes and other commenting glitches related to Blogger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post

go figure!!
This is only a guess, but it may have to do with traffic to the site? When I was doing a lot of challenges and design team stuff it was worse. Now that I've turned anonymous comments off, I get zero spam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've got one old post that was always a target for spam and since turning off the word verification yesterday, I have had two attempts on that old post. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

It may be a key word for others in your title. I know I have a card that got a lot of internet hits and TBH I just couldn't see why and I could only think it was the title or tags when people searched for something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

LOL! I, too, turned anonymous comments back on and very quickly received a spam comment! I agree it is some keyword or traffic thing that drives spammers. I will see what happens. I also hadn't checked my spam folder in a while and had a lot of comments that weren't spam :( Ooops!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #39  

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
Theresa, I just tried to leave a comment on your blog since WordPress are the blogs I have the most issue with. As you will see, I had NO problems at all so it must be the way the comments section is set on the individual blogs.

I think a lot of folks just leave things the way the service sets them up - especially when they are new to blogging or just not that tech savvy. Hopefully they will find their way to this thread and go make some tweaks!
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I visit your blog and don't leave a comment, I guarantee you have a blogger blog. Half the time I cannot comment on those-- even if I have before. Even if I use the blogger account I have. Even if I... it just eats them. I know I'm not the only one.

I know people sometimes think my wordpress blog eats their comments. So far, though, it is usually someone's first post. First posts are moderated, after that they go through without delay. I've never had anyone tell me that they couldn't post directly and immediately after that first one.

I like it because it's kind of a gentle way to weed out spam without being a nuisance to people who regularly visit.
Reply With Quote Likes