Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a hoarder of crafting supplies and have not done any stamping for what seems like an eternity. So glad to see this thread....I am hoping that this will be inspiration I need to begin letting go of papers/ribbons/stamps/embellishments...all too numerous to mention. I have never done any purging so this will be a great starting point & very scary at the same time. Starting today, I will begin using up the hoards of supplies
I have at home. Thanks for the motivation & wish me luck as I wish the same for all of you. Happy stamping!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Well...poop! I was doing great. Donated a ton and then I fell in love with K&Company paper (6x6 and 8x

I guess that is where I can contribute. Dumped the 12x12 because I only make cards. Should have bought stock in DCWV!!

I guess this isn't where I tell everyone there were sparkley flower embellishments in the dollar bin at JoAnn's. I love them. waaaaaaaaaa!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

My job was eliminated in Dec.. I have been working on scrapbooking projects almost everyday.
I also hoard(way too much), I realize that I enjoy looking at what I BUY. I can't buy anything now...so I am using what I have. Oh my gosh, it feels weird but great. Hope I can continue to changes my ways, support - great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post
Ok, you all convinced me. I'm in. But I will have to make about a gazillion cards a day to make a dent in my paper.

And, by the way, 10 minutes before I read this thread, I placed a $100 SU order.... I need help LOL!
We are here for you!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Wow! Loved reading all the newest posts!! So glad we can inspire each other!

My friend and I started a challenge blog for using hoarded supplies. It is NOT one that awards prizes (that would be counterproductive!!) and is NOT sponsored by a company at all. No ads...all just for fun and using the supplies. I would love for you girls to join in!

The challenges are based around using a stamp you have used previously, use an unopened embellishment, etc. We tried a sketch this last time but I think peeps are sketched out!

Anyway, would love for you fellow hoarders to play with me! It is in my siggy. No blog required.

I think it might be fun to post challenges here as well!! If anyone has ideas, let me know! Nothing formal...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it! This is such a great thread, thanks for posting it. This topic has been on my mind a lot lately. My sweetheart gifted me art supplies and I haven't used them at all. I think I subconsciously feel unworthy of using things up, since I don't think of myself as a real artist. Of course, I feel the same way about craft items. One thing that seems to help: taking things out of original packaging. I still save the package(so that I know the source for blogging supply lists) but I found I was more worried about putting things back nicely than I was about enjoying using things. Yesterday, I took all of my reinkers (I had the whole set of older SU colours and never used any--for shame) and I put them in a big shallow glass dish in a rainbow with punched circles of the paper colour on the top (covered with lacquer), so they are easy to identify at a glance. Now I can think of the reinkers more as paint/concentrated colour and use them. I actually used a whole bunch to make a rainbow assortment of DIY shimmer sprays--something out of character since I'm also afraid of any colour other than turquoise (heehee). Maybe I can build up the strength to actually use my embellishments, now! Thanks again for a great thread and what a treat to read the other comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by homesteadView Post
I just had the thought for those that are afraid of running out of favorite stuff. Use unloved stuff first. You know that roll of ribbon you had to have, or the ton of eyelets that never get used or the many flowers you have. I have done this with cardstock and eyelets and had so much fun with it.

I'm with you, use up stuff because there is always something out there to newer and better to take its place and I bet we won't even miss it.

Great thread!
This is what I do. When I buy a package of DP, there is always at least one piece (both sides) that are not my favs. I decided to try and use a bunch for St. Pat's cards and succeeded with lots of bits and pieces left over that, since most were in the green family, I decided I could use for Christmas gift cards. Before I could get to that a gal in my stamping group suggested we make quilt cards. So, I ran a 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 piece of card stock through my Xyron, cut the scraps into 1x1 inch squares and began to place them on the adhesive covered card stock. I had enough to make 3 cards, embossed with Cuttlebug, cut with a Nestie, drew on stitches, made a yarn knot at each corner, mounted on coordinating card, added a ribbon and some shamrocks and had three more cards to send--all different even though the same scraps were used, I matted, mounted and embellished them differently. Now I'm trying to use up some I love and know I can't replace when they are gone and it is not as hard. Know there will be something else out there, or I can make my own. I used to be a hoarder, but am recovering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

Default I am with you !!

I am with you on this. I still have stuff from when I started 5 years ago. I just used some brads from way back then just the other day. I just told myself that I am a hoarder of scrapbook stuff just last week. I am so afraid of using them thinking they are so pretty and I may want to use it on a prettier layout. I am going to try not to buy anything else (except paper) until June when I go to the Great American Scrapbook Convention. I dont think I can go without buying something (lots of somethings) hehe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

I love these discussions, because it reminds me I am not alone in this paper obsession. My DH thinks its absurd, so it's good to get affirmation that I'm not alone. I have just begun to stop the hoarding...I have a long way to go since I've stocked up so much stuff. Onward and upward!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Exclamation A-H-H-H-H !!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I'm with you too. But I'm a very strange person. I toss scraps CONSTANTLY. I throw away any paper smaller than a card front. I can't stand clutter and pieces of scrap paper seem like clutter to me.
G-A-S-P !!!!!!! There are really people like you out there???????? I'd heard of it but never believed it [ says she with her magnifying glass searching for that little rounded triangular scrap that just fell out of the corner rounder punch] !

Well it's not quite that bad ... but it IS bad;) But I am so glad this thread was started - I've decluttered most of my house and my craft room is next on the list.

I AM starting to throw away scraps AND use embellishments and paper that have heretofore just been admired and, from time to time, ...gently caressed.

It DOES feel good to actually use the LAST ONE of something and I am coming to terms with using up all of something that I know can never be replaced because the ... grrr .... [ struggling with her words to not say something unladylike and ... well... just plain bad...grr...grrr...] company decided not to make that color/embellishment anymore...:(

AND I'm glad y'all are reminding me that IF I use it up I can BUY something else.....YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
This is what I do. When I buy a package of DP, there is always at least one piece (both sides) that are not my favs. I decided to try and use a bunch for St. Pat's cards and succeeded with lots of bits and pieces left over that, since most were in the green family, I decided I could use for Christmas gift cards. Before I could get to that a gal in my stamping group suggested we make quilt cards. So, I ran a 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 piece of card stock through my Xyron, cut the scraps into 1x1 inch squares and began to place them on the adhesive covered card stock. I had enough to make 3 cards, embossed with Cuttlebug, cut with a Nestie, drew on stitches, made a yarn knot at each corner, mounted on coordinating card, added a ribbon and some shamrocks and had three more cards to send--all different even though the same scraps were used, I matted, mounted and embellished them differently.
What a great idea... I have all these pieces of DSP that I don't like - you've given me an entirely new way to look at those poor rejected pieces. I shall imortalize them forthwith...!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

This is a great support thread! Hello - my name is Jaime and I am a hoarder of paper crafting supplies! HELP ME!!! I started my paper crafting addiction with Creative Memories in 2001 and I know I still have some stuff from back then! Yep - those triangles and squares, oh my, stickers and alphabet letters too!! LOL!

I participated in my community yard sale in the Fall and my crafting supplies were the biggest seller out of all the stuff I had for sale. The next community yard sale is the middle of April and I plan to pull out all of my supplies and sort them, organize them and try to sell at least half of what I have been hoarding for the past 10 years! What is put in the yard sale box will NOT come back into the house - it will be donated to the local girl scout troop! Wish me luck!
Matt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW, I need to join too. I have been a horrible paper hoarder. I got a giggle out of this thread, I now have 4 yr old paper that I was afraid to use and now it is out of style. I'm starting small, my goal is to use up this 2005 scrapbook calendar with 365 small pages.....It's about 1/2 gone. Then to all the basic gray I have hoarded!!! I too could wallpaper my house! I love DP!!lol

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #54  
Compulsive Stamper

it would take me years to get rid of my stashes, like the idea to just sit and make card fronts and use up the drawers of emblishments. I keep trying to stop buying stuff. this would be a great way to keep stuff at bay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! I am trying so darn hard to use my stuff and not buy more! It's a total addiction, I swear! I am in that group that buys so much I can't remember what I have and then when I find it, it's not my style anymore! I feel like I need to use it or destash and offer it to someone else out there in the crafting world who will!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_catView Post
Then to all the basic gray I have hoarded!!! I too could wallpaper my house! I love DP!!lol
lol - I could wallpaper the White House!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
lol - I could wallpaper the White House!!!!
Well, gals, I DID wallpaper a house - a dollhouse, that is! I used my DP to wallpaper a wooden dollhouse for my granddaughters. It worked great and looked so cute.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #58  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Well, gals, I DID wallpaper a house - a dollhouse, that is! I used my DP to wallpaper a wooden dollhouse for my granddaughters. It worked great and looked so cute.
That is AWESOME!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

It is great to know that there are other women out there that share my addiction to paper crafting supplies.....I say this as I look around my craft room at stacks of boxes of paper, plastic carts with drawers full of stamps and embellishments...so much stuff that if my husband were to take out half of this stuff, I would never be able to identify what was missing....sad, i know!
Matt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, I know it's not much but I used up 6 pieces of DP on three scrapbook pages. I have always been afraid to use DP in case I mess it up but now I've decided to just use it and not worry. I haven't scrapped in ages and I am kinda back into it. Thanks for the encouragement!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
OK, I know it's not much but I used up 6 pieces of DP on three scrapbook pages. I have always been afraid to use DP in case I mess it up but now I've decided to just use it and not worry. I haven't scrapped in ages and I am kinda back into it. Thanks for the encouragement!!
Good for you! Liberating isn't it! As a scrapper, I have always purchased paper in doubles so that I could have 2 page spreads, but I have begun to not worry about it and just use them up as I want without worrying that I won't have another one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

I also have a ton of supplies, and end up spending more time organizing them than using them. I have made some progress in cleaning up and getting rid of things, and one thing that helps me is I belong to a group where we have a board where we can offer things to other members, and earn credits, so then they offer things that you want, and you can "snag" them. Its kind of like one man's junk is another's treasure. If you want to join, we are about to start a game, and there is a lot of activity when we do that. Its also fun to get things for "free". If you want to join, we are snaggingstampers : A Stamper's Pass it Forward Group
Feel free to say Cheryl B referred you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #63  
Glitter Queen

I stopped buying stuff for 4 months. I decided that anyone (not in the biz) that gets a card or if I scrapbook a page, who's going to know if I bought the paper yesterday or 2 years ago? I'm using it like there is no tomorrow! I used to think if I use it I won't have it anymore, but in reality it's transformed into something nice and it's just in another form. I'm into mini books right now (and giving them away), so that's one way to use multiple papers. I've been making book marks and book plates with nesties, so there goes some of the scraps. My friends love them! I've just got way too much stuff to just let it sit there anymore. Now I can't keep up with myself and the projects I want to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Good for you! Liberating isn't it! As a scrapper, I have always purchased paper in doubles so that I could have 2 page spreads, but I have begun to not worry about it and just use them up as I want without worrying that I won't have another one!
Oh my gosh...you must be my long lost sister!!

And good job to all of you using it! I made 4 cards today and have one layout done so far...hope to do another tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm using my Riley stamps that I bought eons ago and haven't used since... Working on a Riley swap... I've used up 2 spools of Target dollar spot ribbon... It was short...

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

I have been crazy busy for a few weeks so I haven't had time to use anything. But I did have quite a few people over to craft on Saturday and encouraged THEM to use my stuff. Does that count? LOL~ :lol:

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippysueView Post
I'm so on board with this! I think we all have so much guilt over buying new things when we have so much at home..blah blah.....well if we use up the stuff then we won't feel guilty buying new stuff...and we know there will always be cool new stuff....so get using that stash!!!!
I have absolutely no guilt at all. I just buy it and never use it LOL But . . . enough is enough right? I'm so with you all on this. Based on the stash that I have, I'll never have to buy paper ever again! LOL And all those embellishments? I look at them with every project I make and can just never figure out how to get it to work for that project. I do love them, I just don't know how to use it LOL How stupid is that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

I am taking my scraps and using my new Double Ended Banners Die by Papertrey Ink to make embellishments or sentiment ribbons for cards. Viola! No more scraps. Works for me.
Papertrey Ink - Dies to Match!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #69  
Glitter Guru

I feel off the wagon today, my friends. That darn 50% J's coupon did me in. I went in for an Imagine Mat which they STILL DO NOT HAVE (ugh!). To drown my sorrows, I got a DCWV mat stack (or 3!) that were on sale...so to add insult to injury I ended up not even using the coupon!!

And my son's words to me...MOM! Don't you have enough paper?!!

Oh yes, sad but true.

And now I am mad at myself.

I did make 4 scrapbook layouts yesterday though. So yay for that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #70  
Mad Swapper

I've been working hard at not buying more until I use up some of my stash of scrapping and card-making stuff. This last week I used almost all of a pack of SU double-sided paper for pages of our trip to New Orleans in '95. (See, I hoard my photos as well as my papers...BG) I only have about four more packs to use up, plus a lot freebie sheets from various makers that I recieved at scrapping weekends...and, well, you all know how the story goes...At least I've been cured of thinking that I should buy a lot of packages of paper when they are a good price...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
What a terrific idea! My daughter has an old dollhouse that my grandfather made for me that she uses for her Polly Pockets. This would make it look WAY better and would be a fun thing we could together. Thanks for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

I have recently joined some swaps and that is helping me to use up my supplies. I also found that just reading the swaps forums has inspired me, even if I don't participate. I have also been going through my supplies, and trying to be ruthless - scraps are next!
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and the blog links!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #73  
Inking Addict

I haven't bought anything for myself in months, the only supplies have have bought is for orders that I have had coming. I too have so much to use, in fact after seeing other on here say they only keep 3x3 scraps or bigger, I am going to go through all my scraps and toss anything smaller than that, maybe my files won't be so full after I get done. The other things I have too much of that I can't bear to part is my magazines, I have a whole shelf full, any ideas for those?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapiegirl75View Post
I haven't bought anything for myself in months, the only supplies have have bought is for orders that I have had coming. I too have so much to use, in fact after seeing other on here say they only keep 3x3 scraps or bigger, I am going to go through all my scraps and toss anything smaller than that, maybe my files won't be so full after I get done. The other things I have too much of that I can't bear to part is my magazines, I have a whole shelf full, any ideas for those?????
I went through mine and tore out the pages. I kept the pages of cards or projects I wanted to make and put that page in with the stamp set I wanted to use. For the tips or technique I saved those pages in a pocket folder. Then I let friends go through to see if they wanted anything and then I threw them away. It saves so much room I love it. I don't usually buy magazines any more I just come here so I don't have them building up like I did.

HTH

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by blwykeView Post
it would take me years to get rid of my stashes, like the idea to just sit and make card fronts and use up the drawers of emblishments. I keep trying to stop buying stuff. this would be a great way to keep stuff at bay.
Make those card fronts and then send what you can't use to one of the many organizations that send cards to the troops. They are always needing cards. My hubby is deployed and my friends and I make cards for his unit and its so great to hear the families and how much they loved getting a card from their loved ones. I get to hear first hand how much it means to families to recieve those cards. With all the ways we can communicate still the written word means the most. I love seeing what card my hubby picks out to send and 9 times out of 10 its one I have made, we put all our cards in a plastic sleeve with the envelope so he can't see whose name is stamped on the back but its cool how he reaches for mine.

Anyway just a thought for all you using up supplies and making card fronts.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #76  
Mad Swapper

I gave away 70% of my magazines to our library for it's semi-annual sale of donated items. Hardback books sell for $.50 and paperbacks for $.25 each. Don't know what they get for magazines because I never bought any. If you join "Friends of the Library" for $5 a year, you get first pick. That is on Thursday, then the sale opens to the public Friday morning. On Sunday, it is fill a bag for $1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #77  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by homesteadView Post
I went through mine and tore out the pages. I kept the pages of cards or projects I wanted to make and put that page in with the stamp set I wanted to use. For the tips or technique I saved those pages in a pocket folder. Then I let friends go through to see if they wanted anything and then I threw them away. It saves so much room I love it. I don't usually buy magazines any more I just come here so I don't have them building up like I did.

HTH
Yeah, I don't buy them much anymore either, I too just go to the web for ideas. I'll have try ripping things out, don't know if I'll have the guts too or not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

I spent this morning going through the basket next to my bed. I am sad to see how much money I have spent on magazines when I get better, more up-to-date info and ideas here. Oh well, there is some joy in the magazines too. Now, I'm off to my room to be a user!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #79  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapiegirl75View Post
Yeah, I don't buy them much anymore either, I too just go to the web for ideas. I'll have try ripping things out, don't know if I'll have the guts too or not!
You can do it! I got a binder with page protectors...tear the pages out and put it in there. It is like a one stop book for ideas and I love it. Try it with one and see how you do. I promise the magazine won't cry!

If you are just over them, why not donate to a school or thrift shop? Schools can use them for class projects. Our Thrift Store on base sells them and we give our proceeds to scholarships for military family members.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Wow, you guys are an inspiration! I've definitely cut down on shopping - especially stamps. I try never to buy anything unless I've already determined how it will be used, you know, already have a project in my head and about to make that project. I let my daughter sell a bunch of my Stampin' Up! sets and she made a ton of money for her Costa Rica travels. I like IUIU (but I'm also an Indiana University alum.)
Reply With Quote Likes