Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa_JaxView Post
I have the same problem! I bring my mail to work to mail it out because the mailman that comes to my house will just leave my mail sitting in the box half the time. Even if he has to stop anyway to deliver mail, there have been times he just dumpes it in on top of what I'm trying to send out!
Wow. I would definitely call his boss and complain about that! People who dont do their job the way they're supposed to shouldn't have the job at all. There are tons of other people who would love to have that well paid job, AND do it right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

Yes, the postal service is getting to be ridiculous! First they raise the rates every time you turn around, now this nonsense about not delivering on Saturdays. It's crazy!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Wow, I thought I lived in the only area with rotten postal service. For years, people in my area have complained about lost mail and delay in mail and nothing has been done. I can send mail to my sister that lives 2 hours away and she will get it in a day or 2. I send mail to the next town 5 miles away and it can take up to 3 weeks to get there.

Last year, we sent out invitations to my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I told my sister to send it from her location, as my post office is not reliable. About 40 of the invites were actually going to come back to my post office, as this is where my parents live now. When we started to get RSVP's in, many of the local people were not responding. I told my sister that it just didn't seem right. However, she never received any mail returned to sender. After a month, she started to get them returned. The most were stamped no such address, or moved and no forward given. I knew this wasn't the case, as we are in contact with these people all the time. Everyone had the correct address on it, with the exception of one person. And that person went from a mail delivery at their house, to a post office box. Now mind you, the area I live in is very rural, so it is not like there are thousands of postal patrons. The postal people all know this individual, so why could they not just put it in their post office box, instead of returning it to sender? When I asked why so many were marked returned to sender, they could not give me an answer. The postmaster, well, he is never there. In 2 years, I might have seen him once in the post office and I am in there reguarly, due to work.

My next issue with my post office was at Christmas time. I made all my cards, went into the post office, handed them to the clerk and asked what the proper postage would be. She weighed them and said, no additional postage is necessary. I asked, are you sure? Yep, just one stamp is needed. Bought the stamps, put them on the envelopes and put them in the box. A week later, they are all returned to sender for insufficient postage. So, every envelope was marked up and I needed to get new ones, and pay for new postage. I was furious. Went to the clerk and asked what the heck is this about, and her comment was, sorry, I must have figured it wrong. Sorry, this is costing me $$$$.

At Valentine's Day, I was in charge of a special package exchange for 2 individuals that are very sick. I went with my package and told the clerk that I needed these to be there by Valentine's Day. No problem, you will need to send it express mail. OK. I fork over $ 17.50 for express mail. The receipients didn't get their packages until after Valentine's Day. One went about 400 miles away and took 5 days to get there and the other went from Virginia to Texas and it took a week. When I went in to complain, they said they will investigate what the problem was and let me know. I have yet to hear anything back.

I also have plenty of envelopes that have been given to me by customers that were trying to send payment for something and it was returned to them due to the wrong address, or a moving and no forwarding address given. The address has been the same one for 20 years, my office did not move. Same thing happens with my home address. When I take the envelope in with the stamp saying the address doesn't exsist, I get the run around yet again, they don't know why that happened.

These are just some of the issues I have had. Most people in my area drive to the next town if they have any business related mail to send. The more we complain, the worse the problem gets. They really need to have an accountability system in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #44  
Crimping Master

Unfortunately that's what happens when you are the only game in town. It's not like people can go to the competing post office to send letters. We have to rely on the USPS. I know we can use UPS for packages, but for smalller things it is the post office or nothing. Why do they have to improve service? I know there are lots of caring people in the post office who want to do a good job, it is bad apples that spoil the whole bushel, and there is nothing that we can do about it.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

A friend of mine mailed me package via 2 day priority mail. I got it 8 days later.:(
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

Wow! I learned a LOT! I usually don't ship priority (actually, maybe only a couple times ever!) because of the cost. I don't ship a LOT, but when I do, I go with first class.
Nothing ever seems to be as it's presented. It's so disheartening! I just switched from cable to a phone/internet/direct tv package deal thinking it was going to be xx.xx amount. When I got the bill it was 23 dollars more! I called and they told me about the "rebate" (that no one informed me of) I had to file, that will have to be approved in 6-8 weeks to take effect to lower the bill. No one told me any of that information up front!
Customer service now days is so sad from companies and agencies. It's about the all mighty dollar, and not for the interest of the public. We're the one's keeping them in business. Without us, they wouldn't make any money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

I have come to the conclusion that political voting is useless, because politicians just do as they please once they are elected.
I feel I can change things more by "voting with my money."

If a company is underhanded or provides poor service then I will "vote" to eliminate them by not spending my money with them.

Especially in this economy, where we choose to spend our money will decided which companies survive.
Forums like this spread the word of great experiences or disappointments with particular companies
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

I think the postage rates are too high also. My mail is usually picked up and delivered on time. A few weeks ago my husband received a letter that had to be signed for. We are both retired and were both at home all that day. We both saw the mailman go around our circle to deliver the mail. He put a notice for us to pickup our letter at the post office or have it re-delivered which takes a extra two days ( one for him to get the notice and one to bring it back) because no one was there to receive it.. My husband had to go to the post offcie the next day to get a letter that the post office did not even try to deliver. Very frustrating! No wonder they are having problems!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sent a card (to a sister on another board who had done a favor for me) from Canada to US on Feb.6th....got it back on Feb. 25th because US postal service said I did not have her last name on it. The note said it must have full name to be delivered. I didn't have her surname, but didn't think it mattered, I had the full address. On another note...our Canadian postal service is no better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:36 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Years ago, I worked with a gal that would write her mom and address the letter to "Mom".

they always got there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

I send to Australia and the UK alot and use the P.O. for that. They told me that it can take 5 to 15 days to get there no matter how you send it. So, like stated by someone else in this forum..... It'll get there when it gets there!

What is this world coming to? How sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #52  
Mad Swapper

my favorite thing at the post office is the APC (automated postal center). its a machine with a scale and touch-screen, and it saves a ton of time. if i have a lot to mail, i will load up a laundry cart and walk to a further post office, just to use the machine. its just so much quicker.
to be fair, there are nice postal workers, and not-nice postal workers... but i'd rather not see a person, at all, if seeing a teller means an additional two hour wait.
(I live in NYC, so luckily there are many branches of the Post Office here)
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #53  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I've mentioned this before, but our local post office tends to have less than friendly workers who are sticklers for every rule (they once charged me almost $2 to send a card in a regular size envelope that had a popsicle stick in it--and even a pop-dot on a card will trigger an extra charge). Only 12 miles away, though, is a wonderful post office where they're very flexible about not charging extra if there's a ribbon or a brad on a card. Our mail delivery man is a gem, too--always brings packages to the door, and has even brought them in the house for me if they're a little heavy or awkward. Our UPS man, though, doesn't even ring the bell and we've had neighbors who've had packages ruined because we all tend to go in and out through our garages and don't look at the front door. So it all depends on who you're dealing with, I guess. If I have a lot to mail, it's worth it to me to drive to the post office 12 miles away--plus there's a stamp store right down the street!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #54  
Swapper of the Month March 2012

I don't mind paying for services or postage, I'm not even complaining about fees at all, and I know the workers are underpaid and understaffed as well (who isn't nowadays?!). I just don't like being told or having it implied even by the posters that indicate 2-3 days for priority and 3-5 days for first class, then finding out they are the same, despite the much higher cost of priority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

DON'T mail things from your mailbox! Thieves love for you to do this! Most the time you are mailing bills. So now a thief has your name, address and bank account number. Plus you have no idea if your mailman got your mail or a thief.
My DH is a mail carrier and I just always had him take our mail in with him to work. Well, we now have a locking mailbox because even though we don't mail from home, we did have our mail stolen a few years back. As soon as that happened, we went out and bought a locking mailbox and we didn't bother attaching the flag to it.
As far as mailing to Canada, the first time I went to mail something to Canada is when I found out not to bother with priority. It was going to cost 2 to 3 times as much and get there maybe 2 days earlier. Since then, I've just always mailed 1st class.
I know that alot of people are getting upset with the USPS. If you would take a letter (with ribbon and brads) to 1 clerk they will tell you that the postage will be x amount. But if you took the same exact letter to a different clerk, chances are they'll tell you that you need more postage. Some of the clerks (ok...most of them) are just as confused by the rules as we are.
If you are unsure of something, take it to the post office and let them determine what your item needs and then have them cancel the postage while you're there or have them do the postage strip. Chances are that you will not get the letter back if it was process through the window clerk.
Everyone also has to remember that the USPS is a business and same with any other BIG business, the problems aren't the clerks fault or the mail carriers fault or even the processing clerks, but by the upper mannagement. A person can make suggestions or complain, but what seems like common sense for most people just doesn't make sense to the powers that be.
I know that there are some mail carriers that are extremely nice and some that just couldn't give a fig. Our regular mail carrier (Joe) is one of the nice ones. When we have a package, he delivers it along with all of our mail because he knows when I'm home. When Joe is off, the guy that delivers just drops the package, rings the bell and is gone. Whenever we do get something from FedEx or UPS, we won't even know that's it's out there because they don't ever ring the bell. One time my DH got home and there was no package out there. About 2 hours later he checked his emails and looked to see when his package was due to arrive and it said that it was delivered.:confused: He opened the front door and there was a package. We were both home and apparently it was too hard for them to ring the bell or knock.
I know that the original OP wanted to vent and I can appreciate it.....been there myself.;) I just wanted to point out that no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. I have also learned NOT to always trust what someone tells you. If you think that a letter is too thick, go ahead and add that extra stamp. After all, you spent money for the supplies to make the card, what's an extra .17 or whatever to send it? It's still cheaper than buying a Hallmark card and mailing it.
Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I just wanted to add that I thought if I insured a package that that meant that they would insure it got to the person I was sending to. Not true. I sent out a package at the end of January to a friend, and a month later she still hadn't received it. This was a priority flat rate box with insurance. I went to the PO and the clerk (very nice) looked up the insurance # and found that the box was delivered 3 days after it was sent. I told my friend this and she went to her PO and was told to question her neighbors. She has a big box that everyone's mail goes to. All have individual boxes within the big box and extra locked boxes at the bottom for packages. She was told it was delivered to the wrong "box". So, she questioned all her neighbors and the next day most of the items in the box were returned, but very used.

So, I learned that even an insured box doesn't guarantee you anything. As long as the box gets delivered somewhere that is all that matters.

I'm not bashing anyone and still use the PO all the time, but that is information that I needed to know before hand. And for an insured box to be signed by the receiver it must be insured for $200.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #57  
Groovy Granny

Received 317 Likes on 170 Posts

Actually the clerk was correct about tape covering the stamps.

All I know is that Mailmen work very hard. Out there delivering the mail in all kinds of weather.
And for .42 for a standard letter, it's a great deal.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Kindness always wins-makes you better not bitter

You can't change the wind, but you can adjust your sails
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytinaView Post
I just wanted to add that I thought if I insured a package that that meant that they would insure it got to the person I was sending to. Not true. I sent out a package at the end of January to a friend, and a month later she still hadn't received it. This was a priority flat rate box with insurance. I went to the PO and the clerk (very nice) looked up the insurance # and found that the box was delivered 3 days after it was sent. I told my friend this and she went to her PO and was told to question her neighbors. She has a big box that everyone's mail goes to. All have individual boxes within the big box and extra locked boxes at the bottom for packages. She was told it was delivered to the wrong "box". So, she questioned all her neighbors and the next day most of the items in the box were returned, but very used.

So, I learned that even an insured box doesn't guarantee you anything. As long as the box gets delivered somewhere that is all that matters.

I'm not bashing anyone and still use the PO all the time, but that is information that I needed to know before hand. And for an insured box to be signed by the receiver it must be insured for $200.
Insurance is not for delivery, it's so that you can file a claim for the replacement value should the package contents arrive damaged... or not at all.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have waited for mail to get here for a long time. Some mail gets stuck somewhere and I wonder if they are on strike. Some of my mail even got lost and what I ordered was replaced by the company I ordered it from (thanks Oozak).
This is really starting to bug me and I am glad I'm not the only one wiht this problem.

Oh, and I tried to complain but that did nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #60  
Forum Fanatic

I agree with you that it is misleading. Why offer so many choices if they are basically all the same!? Being the cynic I am, I totally figured that, when they said it wasn't guaranteed (on the poster, website, etc), that it was all going the same way anyway; so I ALWAYS go with the cheaper rate (and they smirk if it's only 10cents cheaper, but hey, it adds up! LOL)
I still think they are cheaper than Fed Ex or UPS, unless you are going with the overnight option at USPS or a business customer with a volume discount.
Our phone numbers ARE listed in our phone book, not sure why yours aren't...have you checked the blue government pages? I love our postman, but the workers at the closest PO are barely courteous; but a little further away they are as friendly as can be. I guess it's like any business--the manager can make a huge difference!
I did not know they waited until the bin filled up to deliver--that explains a LOT of things!!! My parents live near Birmingham, AL but it's quite a bit out. Not really RURAL, but still a smaller area. It takes almost a week for a letter to get there (from Ohio) sometimes. I'll bet that's why!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytinaView Post

what stinky neighbors! If I got a package with the wrong name on it, I'd certainly give it back to the postman or deliver it to the RIGHT house (if I knew which one).
That's a weird setup, though. I wouldn't want my mail going into a "communal" bin!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #62  
Forum Fanatic

BTW, FedEx is the same way about rural areas. I used to have parts delivered to hospitals for work, and they did NOT guarantee the rural ones. They often took an extra day, or at the very least were after 3:00 (even the priority overnight ones)

Reply With Quote Likes