Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Types of cardstock for different techniques?

I'm just getting back into stamping and starting to use markers and interested in doing some water coloring. What type of paper do i need for these, and please be specific with names, brands, and where I can get what I need.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Markers: Copic (expensive, IMO worth it--refillable and replacement tips available)**watch sales
Paper for Copic: Neenah
Ink for Copic: Momento
Lessons: look online or take them from a certified teacher

Watercolor paper: I get mine from Michael's. The cover is yellow.
Watercolor: Just bought Peerless, but I have used Gansai Tambi and like them

Scoreboard: get to make your lines in your card stock for card making

Adhesive: ATG (mine is red) **yes it's large, but you'll get used to it and it's wonderful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks! Where do you get the Neenah and Memento?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Neenah I can get locally. I'm not sure where online.

Memento: Michael's or Hobby Lobby has it. I have various colors, but only use the black the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Canson watercolor paper

I buy the Canson 9x12 pads at Walmart and use the smoother back side to stamp on and the front for learning watercolor..they cut well with my Big Shot am going to experiment with the Cameo now that I am retired...under $6 for 30 sheets..cut them to card front size and adhere to thinner card base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by monalswView Post
Thanks! Where do you get the Neenah and Memento?
The Neenah Classic Crest line is probably what you'd want. Big box office supply stores typically do not sell it; they sell Neenah Exact Index, which is not the same quality.

Neenah Classic Crest is sold by Neenah directly, Amazon and many companies mentioned here, like SSS, Ellen Hutson, etc. You can buy small packs or a ream.
If you google "Neenah Classic Crest" other shops will pop up.

I use variety of different papers for water coloring depending on the project and what's handy. Neenah 110 pound is for light water coloring or water based markers. I use watercolor paper when going heavier with water, 140 pound cold press, sometimes 80, from a local artist supply store, Michaels, Amazon, Ellen Hutson, and others.

I have Canson (inexpensive and at Michaels and many other places), Fluid 100, Arches, Strathmore and Ranger. Strathmore is my least favorite - more yellow, and I have trouble easily blending colors on it but othes don't, so it's worth a try.

When starting with a new medium, I watch Jennifer McGuire videos, since the materials she uses are a great starting - and sometimes ending - point. I've also taken an on-line watercoloring class where materials were recommended.

There are so many choices and opinions about what works well. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #7  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

There are lots of choices for both paper and markers. I don't think anyone has mentioned Zig Clean Color Brush markers but they are yet another option for watercoloring. Amazon, I think, usually has the best prices for those but I think Ellen Hutson and SSS (SimonSaysStamp) both carry them too. You will want to check out various reviews though before investing in them. Some people love them, some don't care so much for them.

As mentioned, Jennifer McGuire's website is loaded with great information. She likes Ranger/Tim Holtz watercolor paper which I believe is available at Michaels but also at various sites (SSS, Ellen Hutson, etc). She also has some reviews of the Zig brushes.

Sandy Allnock and Kristina Werner are watercolor gurus. They both have their own preferences when it comes to paper for watercolor which will be more artist grade. Both Kristina and Sandy blow me away with their talent.

Sandy has all sorts of videos comparing watercolor supplies from paper to paint to brushes to markers to watercolor coloring books. I distinctly remember watching one video where she compared papers, but I haven't been able to find the link for it yet. Maybe it was in the watercolor class. Anyway, I did find this post of hers all about watercolor basics which might be helpful to you.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

thanks all! I know what I'll be doing next weekend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

I am glad you asked this question. It is confusing!

First we start with what to use as base cardstock...and then it becomes what can you do on it for single layer.... and then what other paper will you need to do layers over it.

You did say watercoloring...not blendable pens-which are different right? Copics are blendable but not WCs.

I believe a number of people like Strathmore Bristol 300 SMOOTH (not the vellum) for marker coloring-I think JM and Kristina and Lydia all like this.

Watch your art stores or Dick Blick online or Jerry's Artarama kind of places for the WC papers. Their sales usually are best prices.

Also keep in mind...people have the ones they use just for practice and then the ones they use for actual work.

Pens for watercoloring-yes the Zigs are popular now.
Another older choice would be distress inks. They are stamp pads, but they are water based so if you stamp the pad on your teflon sheet or pop a drop in a bowl, you can watercolor with it with a brush, and they do have markers. Not the brightest color ranges but still a lot of pretty and you can do other techniques with them.

Keep that in mind about ANY water based inks. You dont have to have a marker, just a water brush/reg brush. Might be a way to try it out before committing to the cost of pens. It isnt really like painting to me this way, esp inside a stamped image as those pens have brush tips.
Reply With Quote Likes