Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Dedham, MA just outside Boston where I was born and raised
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Getting on a Design Team?

Anyone have any recommendations for getting on a design team? I really want to do MORE with stamping? Ever feel like that? I dream in cards and colors and layouts and ideas, but maybe I have a hard time with the execution?

So I thought a great way to get myself out there is to be a design team member. Last year I did several submissions and this year only one so far I'm waiting to hear on.

Is there a secret? Do you really have to be the best?

What do you think?

Maybe I could use some contructive criticisms? Anyone care to visit my gallery and offer up some suggestions? One thing I know I need to improve on is the picture taking. I'm trying, I swear!

Ok, thanks!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I don't think you have to be the best. . .I think it's more important to show your enthusiasm for the company's products, be a regular participant in their challenges or blog activities, be active as a blogger and post regularly on your blog, and create cards or projects that reflect your unique style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

One important thing to consider is how you feel about working with deadlines. This was something that grew a bit old for me after a relatively short period of time.
If you're good with that, go for it!

Ren�e

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What these gals just said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

This thread has a lot of helpful advice: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Also, I wrote an overview of this topic over a year ago, if you're interested: Stamping Design Team Calls.

She's_crafty, your signature file mentions that you're an SU demo. That might put you into the position of having to choose either Stampin' Up or joining other design teams. I haven't kept up-to-date on this issue, but the last I had heard, SU demos were not allowed to promote other companies under the terms of the IDA. Can anyone else confirm whether that is still the case?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

What do you think being on a DT will get you that you do not already have? When you say"more with stamping"? What do you really mean? Do you want a commitment to craft so many projects a month? Is it the new products? Figure out what it is that you want and a company that will fit those needs. You have to really LOVE the product and the company since you will be giving them a lengthy commitment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

be a fan of the companies you love! It's still under lock-and-key but i was invited to be on a DT because I joined their facebook group and started uploading cards to their photo album. And I don't mean be a fan on facebook, per se, but if the company has a forum, be active on it, if they do challenges, participate!

and yah.. you can't be an SU! demo and be on a DT so that will be a choice you have to make. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
and yah.. you can't be an SU! demo and be on a DT so that will be a choice you have to make. :(
Thanks for confirming that, Tobi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for commenting on the SU demo thing. Totally laugh along with me now.... I have no customers!!!! Ahahahahahahha I signed up for the discount and while I love their products I am inspired more by other companies recently so being a demo is soon going to be a thing of the past!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, I just saw your signature line. :( There is an IDA that Stampin' Up released regarding promoting other companies. But your blog is wonderful - I love the pink black and white statement!
If you still would like to be on a Design Team as a SU demo, your best bet would be challenge sites. There are so many out there that are really fun to be on! Just make sure that if they do have weekly sponsors that you aren't obligated to have to use their image in order to design. Challenge sites range from sketches, recipe challenges, altered items, etc. so this would be a great way to cross promote Stampin' Up too.
I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
This thread has a lot of helpful advice: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Also, I wrote an overview of this topic over a year ago, if you're interested: Stamping Design Team Calls.

She's_crafty, your signature file mentions that you're an SU demo. That might put you into the position of having to choose either Stampin' Up or joining other design teams. I haven't kept up-to-date on this issue, but the last I had heard, SU demos were not allowed to promote other companies under the terms of the IDA. Can anyone else confirm whether that is still the case?
Thanks I will check this out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post
What do you think being on a DT will get you that you do not already have? When you say"more with stamping"? What do you really mean? Do you want a commitment to craft so many projects a month? Is it the new products? Figure out what it is that you want and a company that will fit those needs. You have to really LOVE the product and the company since you will be giving them a lengthy commitment.
You make a very valid point....This is something that I really have to think about. Thank you for making me ponder this point today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjinkoView Post
Yes, I just saw your signature line. :( There is an IDA that Stampin' Up released regarding promoting other companies. But your blog is wonderful - I love the pink black and white statement!
If you still would like to be on a Design Team as a SU demo, your best bet would be challenge sites. There are so many out there that are really fun to be on! Just make sure that if they do have weekly sponsors that you aren't obligated to have to use their image in order to design. Challenge sites range from sketches, recipe challenges, altered items, etc. so this would be a great way to cross promote Stampin' Up too.
I hope this helps!
Thanks! I actually have my name in at Stamptacular Sunday Challenge as they are looking for DT members currently. Fingers crossed! Supah suggestions from all thanks!!!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!!! After reading what you said about the color scheme I realized my craft room is decorated in those very same colors and I never noticed that before! Funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 02:08 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Great advice already. I'd add that it's worth thinking about what you can add to what a company already has - play to your strengths in your DT application but don't be afraid to stretch beyond the "norm". Maybe you're great at using your stamps in different ways so you might be producing samples that are not only cards, for example. Many companies are delighted to have stuff that showcases their stamps being used in different ways (home decor, altered art objects, clothing or textile items, polymer clay and jewellery work etc). Maybe you have particular strengths in colouring or in combining embellishments or using stamps in "scrappy" style projects. Figure out what your strengths are and make sure your DT application highlights them.

It's very difficult to judge what a company is looking for. Sometimes it seems they want "more of the same" in terms of having a team who have a basically similar style and other times, people are looking to add to the team to make it more stylistically diverse. Obviously, if they've said in the call that they're looking for something specific then make sure you address it (I got my DT post through a call that asked for colouring skills on very detailed images, for example - no point submitting line art samples as your application under those circumstances).

Most importantly, don't give up! You may even end up applying to the same company more than once - don't assume that if you didn't make it the first time you won't make it the second time (ask me how I know ;)).

Good luck!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,014 Likes on 868 Posts
Default Design Teams

I have a recommendation- I am playing along with a Digital Stamp company- you get the first image of the month free, then each week when you post your card, you get the next week free. It will give you an idea of being on a DT- in fact, each person that keeps playing is considered a member of the Artistic Team: http://designed2delight.blogspot.com/
You will learn to use an assigned image and to get a card done by a deadline...... I enjoy doing this very much a recommend it.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Great advice already. I'd add that it's worth thinking about what you can add to what a company already has - play to your strengths in your DT application but don't be afraid to stretch beyond the "norm". Maybe you're great at using your stamps in different ways so you might be producing samples that are not only cards, for example. Many companies are delighted to have stuff that showcases their stamps being used in different ways (home decor, altered art objects, clothing or textile items, polymer clay and jewellery work etc). Maybe you have particular strengths in colouring or in combining embellishments or using stamps in "scrappy" style projects. Figure out what your strengths are and make sure your DT application highlights them.

It's very difficult to judge what a company is looking for. Sometimes it seems they want "more of the same" in terms of having a team who have a basically similar style and other times, people are looking to add to the team to make it more stylistically diverse. Obviously, if they've said in the call that they're looking for something specific then make sure you address it (I got my DT post through a call that asked for colouring skills on very detailed images, for example - no point submitting line art samples as your application under those circumstances).

Most importantly, don't give up! You may even end up applying to the same company more than once - don't assume that if you didn't make it the first time you won't make it the second time (ask me how I know ;)).

Good luck!
Wow, thanks! Really great advice!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidtyView Post
I have a recommendation- I am playing along with a Digital Stamp company- you get the first image of the month free, then each week when you post your card, you get the next week free. It will give you an idea of being on a DT- in fact, each person that keeps playing is considered a member of the Artistic Team: http://designed2delight.blogspot.com/
You will learn to use an assigned image and to get a card done by a deadline...... I enjoy doing this very much a recommend it.

Shelly
Oh this is a great idea!! I am going to check out the link you provided now! Thanks a bunch! And thank you to everyone for all your helpful advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidtyView Post

Shelly
Wow, I can't believe I haven't heard of this before. I love love love this week's image. So I bought it for $2 and will play along to earn next week's image free. That's such a great idea. I also read that you will earn an extra free image for referring me if I put your name when I upload. Should I just put mcschmidty, or Shelly? Let me know so you can earn your image!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

When you apply for a DT position, make sure that the stamps fit your style. If not you'll have a hard time working with them. When I first got into DT-ing I only applied to guest/short term DT positions. Most of the time I was glad it wasn't permanent. Through the process I found that certain stamps were just not for me. I've been stamping and scrapping for years but was never serious until a few years ago. Even then I was still trying to get a feel of my style. I still have no style but I have a better idea of what I can work with.

Recently I was invited to join a new stamp company and even though I was flattered and excited to be asked I wanted to see some sample images first before I said yes. I can't color. I can color simple images with solid colors but I can't shade. So if Gina K asked me to be in her team I'd have to say no because there's no way I'd do her images justice. But if she makes more solid stuff and they were all I had to work with then sure. Anyhow... that was just an example... After I saw the samples I was delighted to find that they were totally me and so I said yes. After receiving the stamps I didn't regret my decision. They were perfect and I could work with them easily.

Being in a DT is fun but I think you can do more with stamping without being in a team. Personally I think you can do more because you're free to use whatever and complete the project whenever.

Like I said I love the company I DT for now but my past favorite has been DT-ing/guest DT-ing for sketch/color challenges. There's more freedom and you get all sorts of sponsors which is another good way to get a feel of what your style is or how far you can go.

Good luck!!!

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

If you have some time...(!) here are a few threads that could be resurrected regarding design teams and related topics. Lots of posts but lots to glean in there too, including comments from some company owners......

Design Teams/Motivation

Improving Design Team Process

Design Teams/Conflict of Interest
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Lots of good advice here. Find a company that suites your style. For myself I do alot of different things with stamping. cards, altered art, jewelry. etc. The companies I design for seem to really like the variety. Join in lots of challenges on different sites. Being discovered will bring lots of followers that will see your work and the companies like that! I know right now there is a call for a guest designer on Gingersnap creations , might be a good way to get your feet wet. Its deadline is next week. I checked out your blog and your work looks fine to me. I don't see any reason you shouldnt be picked up by a Design team or two. the benifits are lots of free stamps and stuff to play with.
heres my blog http://trashtotreasureart.blogspot.com
Best of luck, Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes