Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for Work or Play?

I'm just curious how many people on the forum work outside the home? I have a full-time job that seriously interferes with my hobbies. Anybody else with that problem? :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from part time to full time when the economy had a downturn several years ago and that was a bad blow to my mojo. But, a year ago to keep my job I had to switch to an odd shift and now I have zero time for anything. So I get my creative feed from SCS on breaks. I don't know if I will ever adapt enough to craft again and that makes me sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I work a full time job in a law office. I work from 8 a.m to 5 p.m.. But I go into my craft room Mondays, Tuesday and Thursday's from anytime after 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday's I craft anytime I want too.

But I am very lucky that it is just me and my husband at home and he cooks supper every night because he gets home almost 2 hours before I do. All I have to do at night is clean up the kitchen.

Also, he restores old cars as a hobby, so while I am making cards, he is remaking cars!!!LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

ATM I am a full time care giver and mother with a newly adopted furbaby. Furbaby needs a lot of comfort and reassurance and so far hasn't been left alone to help get his confidence up.

Just looked at the calendar... oh dear, my Brother & Sister in law's anniversary card is going to be late... but it won't be as late as the one we didn't get from them this year! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am gone from the house from 7 am to 5 pm and by the time I get home I am tired and then supper has to be made. Then I am ready to go to bed. Weekends are busy getting all the S**t I didn't do during the week done. I think I just hoard craft items to look at once in a while. :(
I have such creative thoughts while at work where I can't do anything about them :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

LOL! I always say that my job interferes with my hobbies, but unfortunately also funds them.

I work full time. Married. No kids. I also do two competitive sports (cycling and tennis) in addition to stamping.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

For about 15 yrs. I worked two jobs. One full-time and one extra to = 48 to 60 hrs per week. I was introduced to card making about 8 yrs ago. I was working 60 hrs per week then.

I have never made tons of cards. Maybe one to three a month. I have gotten my "fix" by going to SU classes each month. That's a good way to get crafty and it's so fun to get together with friends I've made over the years.

Right now I'm only working 20 hrs per week. Yay. I love it. In the fall I may be working closer to 32 hrs. I've joined a new stamping group associated with a local stamp store. I still have SU classes I go to also. I have three different demos, but they are not clubs, so I don't attend all the time. My main demo and good friend only holds classes every other month.

On a side note I have always made time to play! Life is too short not to enjoy! On the weekends my husband and I go biking, to classic car shows, out to eat, and more. I always take the time to get together with family and friends too. I do spot cleaning all week so I can play on the weekend!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 06-17-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I work full time. I've often said I have to work to pay for my craft shopping! Working definitely cuts into my crafting time. We also bought a new camera last September and now we spend lots of time going to various parks and wildlife areas to take pictures.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I work full time, and don't spend as much crafty time as I would like. However, I went thru an extended period of unemployment a couple of years ago, and I would have had a lot of time for cards, and I didn't do any more then - so I guess I can't blame it on the job. And the job does fund my habit, so . . .

Like allistamps, I make sure to get my fix by attending my demo's events, and making dates with my mother to get together and make cards. Otherwise, I fear that all I'd do is buy more stuff and try to figure out how to organize it, and never actually use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,917 Likes on 2,185 Posts

I don't work outside the home. Card making is good therapy! Sometimes I think my biggest hobby is shopping for supplies! Bought some colored Sharpie twin tips today. Fine point on one end and extra fine on the other. These are for my new love of zentangling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I seem to be the luckiest one! I am blissfully retired and have been for several years.

Although my time is my own now, there are still never enough hours in the day for all the things I enjoy doing. In addition to cards, I crochet and also sew lots of things for my grandchildren, clothes and toys!

Here's one of several Fat Cats I made recently for 3 of my granddaughters:
Attached Thumbnails
Time for Work or Play?-franklin.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 06-17-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

That's adorable Annette! I used to do counted cross stitch, but then my eyes got too tired going from pattern to project and back and I just gave it up. But I have some beautiful samplers to remind me how much I loved turning a blank piece of aida cloth into a beautiful picture. That is about the only other hobby I really had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last October I changed jobs. My new job is has more routine and structure than than the last but I've gotten a whole lot less done in the craft room this year. However my new job is more stimulating leaving much less time to ponder and muse about what I could do when I get to my room.

While I may not be crafting as prolifically as I once did I am applying some of my paper crafting skills and tools to my new job. This morning I whipped up some football decor in support of a big game that will be aired tonight. I work at a small country pub and the boss and patrons are loving the 'exclusive' props.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Well, I seem to be the luckiest one! I am blissfully retired and have been for several years.

Although my time is my own now, there are still never enough hours in the day for all the things I enjoy doing. In addition to cards, I crochet and also sew lots of things for my grandchildren, clothes and toys!

@ Bugga, cute fat cat! Your grandchildren are lucky to have such a thoughtful Grandma ! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
That's adorable Annette! I used to do counted cross stitch, but then my eyes got too tired going from pattern to project and back and I just gave it up. But I have some beautiful samplers to remind me how much I loved turning a blank piece of aida cloth into a beautiful picture. That is about the only other hobby I really had.
Many. MANY moons ago I use to be an avid cross stitcher too. So glad I went and got them framed so I can decorate my home with them and they remind me of the times and places I was at as I stitched.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I work full time outside the home. with the commute, the stress of the job and very long hours, including weekends, I don't craft nearly as much as I want to.

However, I'm grateful for a good job and tick tock, retirement is coming eventually!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
Last October I changed jobs. My new job is has more routine and structure than than the last but I've gotten a whole lot less done in the craft room this year. However my new job is more stimulating leaving much less time to ponder and muse about what I could do when I get to my room.

While I may not be crafting as prolifically as I once did I am applying some of my paper crafting skills and tools to my new job. This morning I whipped up some football decor in support of a big game that will be aired tonight. I work at a small country pub and the boss and patrons are loving the 'exclusive' props.
YIKES! Best of luck against Netherlands. I'm afraid you are going to need it, they are on fire.

And I love this - PLEASE everyone have a look - such a beautiful picture -http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/world-cup-player-ties-kids-shoe-photo_n_5500914.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Last edited by RiverIsis; 06-17-2014 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I work full-time and have children. That's what 10:00 p.m. to midnight is for...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

It's such a relief to know I'm not the only one staring at a computer screen all day. I also work in a law office and the hours are long. However, I commute by train, so I get to watch crafting youtube videos for 40 minutes each way. I'm happily single so I get to cram a lot of crafting hours in on the weekends.

I used to be an avid sewer but now all my fabric is stashed in the guest room and the closet is filled with paper supplies! The greatest thing about card making is that if you goof up, it's only paper.

Last edited by Buried Treasures; 06-17-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Many. MANY moons ago I use to be an avid cross stitcher too. So glad I went and got them framed so I can decorate my home with them and they remind me of the times and places I was at as I stitched.
My DH made frames for mine too. I gave many as gifts. But I have many I kept for myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a full-time job but am a night owl as far as creativity so really it's more that my crafting often gets in the way of work. But my son is leaving for college in August and since I've started using a CPAP, I have a lot more energy and concentration so it's just getting better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
YIKES! Best of luck against Netherlands. I'm afraid you are going to need it, they are on fire.
Opps! Not that football. :P This FOOTBALL!! . Much closer to home Go Queenslander!!!!!!

And what did I make! I dressed our pub mascot beanie frog into King Wally, resplendent with regal crown and robe, sitting on a golden throne, banner flying overhead, drinking a can of Queensland beer. Used my scoreboard, cardstock, dies, embossing folders, hotglue, Shiva paint sticks, crimper and more. Fun stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I don't work outside the home. Card making is good therapy! Sometimes I think my biggest hobby is shopping for supplies! Bought some colored Sharpie twin tips today. Fine point on one end and extra fine on the other. These are for my new love of zentangling!
I've been having fun with Zentangles too. I bought a fun inspirational coloring book called zenspirations. I've been coloring with jelly roll metallic pens and recollections glitter pens. So fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Full time postmaster, stampin up demo and I find LOTS of time to stamp! It is rare that a day goes by that I don't stamp something. However, we are also empty nesters which really helps and a very supportive husband.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Ahem! I may be an adult but I totally want one of those! So cute.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Opps! Not that football. :P This FOOTBALL!! . Much closer to home Go Queenslander!!!!!!

And what did I make! I dressed our pub mascot beanie frog into King Wally, resplendent with regal crown and robe, sitting on a golden throne, banner flying overhead, drinking a can of Queensland beer. Used my scoreboard, cardstock, dies, embossing folders, hotglue, Shiva paint sticks, crimper and more. Fun stuff.
LOL! if you had said Rugby League I would have known! still best of luck! (I nearly asked if it was Aussie rules - now that is a mad game).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work over FT most weeks, plus SU demo (no time/location for events though unfortunately), and I don't get enough time to stamp. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I worked full time often with a part time job as well up until I had major back surgery two years ago. I have two titanium rods that run the entire length of my spine with 20, 2.5" screws plus several metal disks added too. I have not worked outside the home since then. Now I have my webstore for dies and stamps mostly. I spend a lot of time in the stamp room. I supply two churches with cards which I donate for them to sell and I also supply the Womens Resource Center with cards to send their clients. I dont sell cards anymore just donate them. My boys are all grown and gone and hubby travels for work Monday thru Friday. I love this hobby.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 03:25 AM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I've been having fun with Zentangles too. I bought a fun inspirational coloring book called zenspirations. I've been coloring with jelly roll metallic pens and recollections glitter pens. So fun!
Michaels just got a bunch of those books in but I couldn't check them out because the place they located them is near some strong scents and it was driving me crazy. Maybe next time I'm in it won't be as strong scented in that area!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 04:29 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm an attorney and work full time + hours and often find that work seriously interfers with my desire to play!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am accountant by day at one job and then spend afternoons at my husband's shop working there. Friday nights he plays in a band so that is my crafty time I come home from work, put on some comfy clothes and play in my craft room between loads of laundry. Yep, I'm livin' the dream ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Received 809 Likes on 530 Posts

Bugga - the fat cat is adorable!!

I work full-time and also do volunteer work at a local hospital. I have a special needs son who needs extra love and attention also.

Stamping is my hobby, relaxation and escape all rolled into one!! I always have a project going on at one of end of my dining room table so when I have a few minutes, I stamp/craft/play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I work 40 - 50 hrs a week and I have to travel now and then, but I work from home in my jammies. If I'm stuck on a conf call I can stamp because most of the time I'm just listening. Being empty nesters I have lots of time to play in my craft room.

I'm feel like I have the perfect job - great pay, great boss, and work from home. The only thing that would be better for me would be winning the lotto : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I also work full time. I usually only have time on the weekends for crafting as still have 2 kids (teenagers) at home.

Currently we are renovating so unfortunately haven't had anytime for crafting at all :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah working sure does get in the way of crafting. I just finished my first year at the school I worked at. I took a couple years off before this and was able to stay in my craft room for days. Now its seems like weeks before I can get in there and do anything. I downgraded my job thinking I wouldn't be as stressed. Well, that didn't work out the way I thought it would. Its just as stressful as my previous job but at 1/3 the pay. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes yes yes! I work outside the home, and that's why mostly I only do the Thursday and Friday challenges (my days off). Fortunately I have no kids, pets, or plants. I use about three hours to do the weekly cleaning. I'm also a low-energy person so even though that OUGHT to leave me with tons of time, I make cards at a snail's pace, and to make matters worse, I watch tons of Youtube (not crafting-related either!). I waste so much time. Hopefully I can retire in 13 years. Then I can make the same amount of cards but waste a whole lot more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I only work half time and my husband and I are empty nesters for the first time this year....and loving it. One of the 4 kids is home from University now but she does not get in my way of crafting and neither does my husband....he has a serious photography hobby. I have always said work gets in the way of life..... I am really looking forward to retiring after 35 years.....I can hardly wait until Dec/15 Yahoo!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanted to stop back in and give heartfelt thanks for each and every lovely comment about my "Fat Cat." You guys are just the best!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a stay at home mom and I homeschool the three kids still school age. My 20yo DS is currently living at home to save some $$ before heading to culinary school in the fall and our 22yo DS is moving home after an post college internship. Hopefully he'll have a job quickly and move back out otherwise it is going to be a little squished around here for a bit. DH is a pastor and we live in a parsonage which was not designed for a family our size. I do have a large stamping area set up in the unfinished basement which has been a huge blessing. I'm in charge of crafts for VBS next week so it has been pretty hectic around here lately but I am often able to stamp daily. I also have a card rack at a local consignment antique and collectible store in town and take my turn working in the store once a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

I work part time, generally 4 mornings a week. Somehow I don't seem to get as much crafting time as I used to - a couple of years ago I was able to play along with all the daily challenges, but that's no longer the case. Come to think of it, I suppose that for a while I was mostly working 3 mornings. With travel time added on to the actual work, an extra morning at home is a luxury I miss - though the extra money is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes