Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those who publish their cards in Rubber Stamper...

For those who publish their cards in Rubber Stamper...

Once you send in a card how long does it usually take before they send back your cards if:

a) they will NOT be published
b) they will be published

Also, do they indicate on the returned card whether or not it will be published??

I sent in a card last month and being the pessimist/realist that I am, I keep thinking that my card will show up in the mail any day, with a thanks, but no thanks reply.

What have been your experiences. Any advice you can give me??

Thanks in advance, Brenda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qbee
For those who publish their cards in Rubber Stamper...

Once you send in a card how long does it usually take before they send back your cards if:

a) they will NOT be published
b) they will be published

Also, do they indicate on the returned card whether or not it will be published??

I sent in a card last month and being the pessimist/realist that I am, I keep thinking that my card will show up in the mail any day, with a thanks, but no thanks reply.

What have been your experiences. Any advice you can give me??

Thanks in advance, Brenda
To my knowledge they will not return your card, if it is NOT published, unless you sent a SASE for the return of it along with.

As for when it IS published, they may hold that sample for over one year before it is used . . . and again, unless you sent SASE for it to be returned, it is highly unlikely you'll ever see it again, to my knowledge.

I personally do not submit to Rubberstamper, as I do not care for the above method of handling reader submissions. :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #3  

Thanks Julie,

I did send an SASE with my card. I know that with Paper Crafts you can submit electronically, but I didn't realize that other magazines differed greatly in how they handled your material. What are the differences with submitting to other magazines??

Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Not huge differences, but some are definitely better at informing you if they are rejecting it or using it by contacting you!

PaperCrafts will not tell you if they've rejected it, but say that if you don't hear from them within 6 weeks of the submission (via jpg), consider it as such and feel free to submit it elsewhere. Stamp It!, a sister mag of PC, has same policy.

Other mags, like Stamper's Sampler also do not inform you one way or the other, but will return the piece if it is unused, as long as SASE is included when you originally sent it in. They do not accept jpgs . . . and they may hold your sample for up to a year before determining whether or not it will be used . . .

Every mag has subtle differences in how they handle it. The best way to know their policy is to ask them directly by contacting the editor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts
Smile

Hi Brenda,

I've submitted to RubberStamper numerous times and have been both published and rejected. You will get your card back with sending the SASE. I have found that if I've submitted for a particular theme, i.e. Mother's Day, once they pick all the cards they're publishing, I've gotten mine back with a letter within a couple of months of the submission deadline. When submitting to the gallery, well depends on what they're chosing at the time they receive your card. I did have a card they kept for a while, because I submitted a patriotic card during the fall, and they kept and published it in their July issue. Surprised me! I'd forgotten all about it. One thing I have found with RubberStamper is when they publish your card, you will receive a free issue with a note attached letting you know your card is inside. Then when I've gotten my card back, I've had another note included in the envelope thanking me for my submission.

I have also submitted to RubberStampMadness and have yet to get published in there. Like Julie says, all magazines are different, so you might want to contact them via email or even check their websites for publishing guidelines.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #6  

Thanks Bonnie and Julie!!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Getting something published certainly isn't for people who like instant gratification.

I really appreciate your responses.
Take care, Brenda

PS: Julie I have admired your work for some time now. I remember going to your gallery when I frequented gingerwood.

PPS: Bonnie, what name do you publish under?? I'll be on the lookout for your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:38 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you are published in one of these magazines, do you get more than a free issue of their magazine? That seems kinda like a rip-off.

I know it is an honor to have your work in a magazine but, wow, I thought you would get "more". Know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23cs
So if you are published in one of these magazines, do you get more than a free issue of their magazine? That seems kinda like a rip-off.

I know it is an honor to have your work in a magazine but, wow, I thought you would get "more". Know what I mean?
Depends on the magazine and what their guidelines are. The only way to know what compensation would be is to contact the editor of the magazine you are interested in submitting to.

Stamper's Sampler is widely known for compensating published works with: a complimentary copy if the issue the work appears in. Already have a subscription? Then, they'll gladly extend your sub by an issue.

Monetary fees vary widely from mag to mag and are largely dependent on many factors: The type of your submission (i.e., tag or altered board book, etc.), the overall "quality" of your submission, quality of instructions submitted, whether or not you followed their guidelines to the letter, their estimation of the value of the materials used in the project and the time they feel would be invested to create it, whether or not they are largely or sparsely supported by advertising, how large the subscription readership is, how many copies sell on average off newsstands . . . I could go on and on.

Magazines receive submissions all the time--hundreds and hundreds daily. Many are rejected based on: doesn't fill the need they have. So, it's the luck of the draw, unless you precisely know what they're looking for and design your project accordingly. . . the other issue: either the editor LIKES it, or they don't. No way to predict personal taste, of course . . . :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #9  

As far as I'm aware there are no great financial incentives to having your work published. Perhaps, if you are a more frequent contributor and write articles for them, there might be. I'm not sure. Look at the crown Julie is wearing. I'm doing it for the challenge to create something unique that others might want to re-create. I never actually thought that I would have something worth publishing, but I have decided to listen to my demo and a few other encouraging people and try. It is actually costing me more money on postage and supplies to do this than I will ever get back.

Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #10  

Julie, we posted at the same time. Thanks again for more insightful information.

Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qbee
As far as I'm aware there are no great financial incentives to having your work published. Perhaps, if you are a more frequent contributor and write articles for them, there might be. I'm not sure. Look at the crown Julie is wearing. I'm doing it for the challenge to create something unique that others might want to re-create. I never actually thought that I would have something worth publishing, but I have decided to listen to my demo and a few other encouraging people and try. It is actually costing me more money on postage and supplies to do this than I will ever get back.

Take care, Brenda
Brenda, I would also encourage you to pursue it and be persistent about it--if one mag rejects it, once you have that rejection notice, submit it to another you think it may suit.

Yes, I would agree, in some cases, it can cost you more in postage and supplies than you will be compensated for . . . I genuinely hope that will not be the case with your particular design. {{{{{{{{{{Brenda}}}}}}}}}}

There is not a "lot" of money in designing or article-writing, unless you're someone like Tim Holtz or Suze Weinberg, etc. When you have industry manufacturers like Ranger backin' you and promoting you as one of their official designers, you are more able, IMHO to command higher fees, and I would guess I'm not mistaken in that. ;)

And, if folks knew how many hours I put in, supplies & materials, how many of my creations are rejected, and how patient you have to be when submitting (magazines must work 6-9 mos. in advance of when an issue actually hits newsstands), they'd probably consider me . . . for lack of a better word:

totally nuts.

Good luck--go get 'em, QBee! (BTW, one of my bestest friends in the world is nick-med QBee, and she's a stamper, too! ;) )

Last edited by JulieHRR; 04-13-2005 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #12  

Julie, thanks for your encouraging words. I look at all the things that you have published and go WOW!! She must stamp morning, noon and night on that island of hers. I grew up in BC, so I just imagine you being inspired by the beauty that surrounds you in Washington. You certainly deserve your crown.

Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

My experience with Rubber Stamper Magazine...

I have had 2 of my cards published in this magazine (October 2003 and next month's June 2005 issues). My stamping room is also being feature in the "a stamping place" section in the June 2005 issue. I know because they sent me an advance copy.

Both times I have made 2 of the same cards (kept one and sent the other) and not included a SASE. Both times I submitted cards, not for their Gallery section, but based upon a specific theme they were looking for. In the October edition they were looking for "Get Well" cards and in next month's edition I submitted based upon a call for "stitched" cards. Both times there was a specific due date indicated for the call and the month/issue it will appear is indicated. I have yet to get one of my gallery submissions published and I think they could possibly keep these cards indefinitely???

As to whether the recognition means anything...personally I think it does. What a nice compliment for anyone to see one of their cards published in a National Stamping Magazine. We all deserve praise once in awhile. I also am starting a business selling the stuff I have stamped at craft fairs and I certainly plan to highlight the article and the fact that I have been published on my business cards and at my booth. It gives additional credibility to your work and most of my friends think it is pretty COOL!

(P.S. this is my 1st time posting on SCS, so forgive me if I don't know all of the shortcut lingo. Also..a special thanks to my friend Carmen (guatelicia) for letting SCS folks know that my stamping room is featured in the June 2005 issue. What a great compliment she has given me.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #14  

Congratulations on having your stamp room featured and for getting cards published. It is an achievement to get published!! I will look it up when I purchase my copy.

It looks like the first card that I submitted did not get published. :( My motto will be if at first you don't suceed try, try again. I have submitted some more for future deadlines, so maybe, just maybe I'll see a card of mine in print one day!! ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was featured in Rubber Stamper as the Spotlight Stamper and didn't get any of my cards back, but did get a free issue. And they picked the ugliest card I sent in! :-)

I was not so bothered about not being financially compensated as I have used it to boost my business - see, I'm a publisher stamper! Of course, I always say that in gest (see the ugly card remark).

It took many months to be selected and it happened about 2 weeks before my wedding, so it was big month for me!

Best of luck and hope to see you published there! Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #16  

Dana, Congratulations on getting published. I'm sure you are only being very critical of yourself and that your card probably is beautiful. We are our own worst critics. I sometimes end up hating cards that I have slaved over for a while. It's almost like a card hangover. It looked great while I was making it and then in the light of the next day I think that perhaps I was just intoxicated by the smell of my stampin' mist.

Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you! Even my upline (whom I love) agreed it was not the best card I've ever done...oh, well.

But, all's well that ends well because last night I picked up the June issue of RS and discovered another one of my cards in there! This one is much nicer!

I totally encourage everyone to submit. You never know when or what they will publish and it could be you!

Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Congrats!

I was just looking at this room really hard last night - my stampin' room is the SAME EXACT GREEN color!!!!!

Green minds, I mean, great minds think alike! Awesome!

Dana

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2stamp827
My experience with Rubber Stamper Magazine...

I have had 2 of my cards published in this magazine (October 2003 and next month's June 2005 issues). My stamping room is also being feature in the "a stamping place" section in the June 2005 issue. I know because they sent me an advance copy.
Reply With Quote Likes