Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about becoming a SU Demo, Advice?

I'm hoping that this is the correct area of the forum to post this. I have been active in a SU stamping group for 4 years now and I'm really thinking about becoming a demonstrator. I was hoping for feedback from you all. I am initially wanting to do it for the discount, but don't know if in the long run it would be worth it. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

The best advice I can give you is to interview your potential upline. How much and what kind of support will she provide? How much and what kind do you expect?

Does she or her upline have regular meetings? Is there a big group of uplines and sidelines you can lean on for information, ideas, encouragement and support?

I'd recommend finding the most business-oriented demo in her line. Not that you necessarily want to be a business demo. You want to know who is in this for the long haul - who is going to be there in case your direct upline has to drop for some unplanned emergency or just wants to quit.

The rest is gravy. An upline (or up-up line) you are compatible with and have access to is critical!

My direct UL lives 800+ miles away. With the phone and e-mail, it's a workable arrangement. I also have a huge group of sidelines and uplines for support closer to home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hey Jen! I was in the same position as you. I finally took the plunge this past Feb and haven't looked back since. I have truly enjoyed every minute of being a demo and have met some extraordinary women. The discount is great as well! Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to help you out if I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Jen, I agree with Trina. Interview who you are thinking of being your upline, and then interview a couple of others. Find out how far they are willing to help you out if you decide to make it other than a hobby business. I actually didn't choose to go with one lady who did a workshop at my house because of how she handled herself and some other issues. So I interviewed a couple of ladies here in town and chose one of them.
Good luck with your decision, I don't think you have anything to lose by giving it a try. You can always try it, see if it's for you and if not you can let your demoship go. That's one good thing about SU, no pressure.
Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks so much for the comments so far. I am going with my current demonstrator to a "recruiting" type event tonight with her upline. I have been compiling a list of questions that I had and REALLY appreciate the information on additional ones to ask. What type of support or sharing do you currently have within your uplines?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

How many potential customers can you count on your fingers at this minute?
I am a hobby demo, and I have two fantastic customers that have met over half of my minimums each quarter, so believe me, I bring their sack to them with a smile. Three demo's in my area have dropped, just could not keep up the minimum that SU requires, even with demo discounts.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I have at least 5 which are made up of family and friends. My younger sister has expressed interest in hosting a small group in her home each month. She is a new SAHM and looks forward to any interactions with adults.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

That would be enough people involved to reap some hostess benefits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyesmiling78View Post
Thanks so much for the comments so far. I am going with my current demonstrator to a "recruiting" type event tonight with her upline. I have been compiling a list of questions that I had and REALLY appreciate the information on additional ones to ask. What type of support or sharing do you currently have within your uplines?
Oh, Jen, this is great news! Meeting the bigger group is key! These are the gals you will be seeing regularly, swapping with, going to regionals and maybe convention with!

I think my group (my up-up-upline's group) is one of the biggest assets I have when it comes to recruiting. Knowing you're not alone is HUGE!

ASK LOTS of QUESTIONS! There's a LOT going on with SU! right now, so if every one seems a little "stretched" at the meeting, don't panic! I mean, on-line ordering just went live today. SU! is still working on the glitches and we demos still have questions, but it's all good. There will be plenty of buzz about it at your event tonight!

And great news on the customer front, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

What is the difference between parties and workshops? What is the difference between hobby and business side of Stampin Up? Planning to join once I move to WA and my upline lives in San Diego. I am hoping to find an upline in WA that I can work with too.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I think that if you think you have enough people to get a club started you should definitely do it! Well, you can still do it if you don't, but for myself I enjoyed knowing I would have a party every month. It was a great way to build up my supplies. It is so fun seeing people get excited with the projects you show them every month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Here's what I get from my group:

1. A yahoo group for "us" in which we post a lot of stuff from the SU! demo side. Between SCS, the demo side of SU! and the SU! demo publications, there is a lot of info. Sometimes my group's Yahoo forum is the best source of info.
2. The fact that your up-upline has these types of recruiting events is a very good sign. My up(3) lines event is Thursday and I'll be going with a new recruit. Ask about other events - leadership training, planning to earn cruise, etc.
3. Sharing - we have a Tuesday tips (for business ideas and creative ideas), swapping. Those of us who go to convention will present brief presentations at our local group meeting so all can benefit.
4. Don't be afraid to ask "negative" questions. By this I mean - ask her what is the hardest things that have to be done (get on the phone, for me!). Ask your upline about her uplines. What happens if you are orphaned? We all know what that means in SU! terms, but what does that mean to your upline, your up-upline, etc.

Remember, in the end, it is YOUR business. Your upline can tell you all sorts of wonderful ideas, but if YOU don't work your business, YOU won't reap the benefits of being a business demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kameView Post
What is the difference between parties and workshops? What is the difference between hobby and business side of Stampin Up? Planning to join once I move to WA and my upline lives in San Diego. I am hoping to find an upline in WA that I can work with too.

Kim
Kim, never rule out your demo in San Diego. A local upline is nice, but not required. Your demo in SD may know someone in WA that would "take you in" if you don't find an upline in WA that you want to work with.

Parties and workshops are basically the same thing.

Hobby demo - meets minimum on a quarterly basis, purchases for herself and maybe close friends and family.
Business demo - in it for the income! Holds several events per month. Usually meets quarterly minimums in one event.

Stampin' Up! also recognizes creative demos via monthly and yearly art contests. You'll learn more about these opportunities once you sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks Trina for giving me such great additional questions to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #15  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Discount? Ha hahahah. Nope, it won't be worth it money wise, but way fun in other aspects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

What type of stamping club/workshop do you find most successful? Such as, I am currently in a group of 10 stampers where we all commit to buy at least 15.00 per show (which always is way over) once a month and we do 3 projects. My demonstrator offers that if you bring a friend they pay for their supplies (like 3.00) unless they place an order and then its free.

I was also contemplating a situation where I just informed people of me doing a technique class once a month with no monthly commitment to buy, but pay for your supplies only and then if they placed an order waive the supply fee? Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

What type of stamping club/workshop do you find most successful? Such as, I am currently in a group of 10 stampers where we all commit to buy at least 15.00 per show (which always is way over) once a month and we do 3 projects. My demonstrator offers that if you bring a friend they pay for their supplies (like 3.00) unless they place an order and then its free.

I was also contemplating a situation where I just informed people of me doing a technique class once a month with no monthly commitment to buy, but pay for your supplies only and then if they placed an order waive the supply fee? Any thoughts on this?
Clubs are good for meeting minumums and having steady sales. In the long-term, you will want to attract new customers as club members drop. Also, you will want to meet new people if you are interested in recruiting.

I find a variety of events works best. - a mix of events to get solid sales and events to bring in new customers. I don't have a lot on my agenda right now, but I do like to offer classes, Stamp-a-Stacks or buffets, clubs, workshops, consulting services (designing invites, holiday cards, etc.). Listen to your cusotmers. Offer ideas and see what they have to say. Find out what type of event will encourage them to bring new customers to you.
Reply With Quote Likes