Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #161  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nana's cookiesView Post
I have one "old fashion" husband, does not really trust computers, so need to find a place I can order the old fashion way..... catalogs???? Any idea where that might be? Thanks for any and all help.
I bet Marcie at Cut at Home could take a "regular" order rather than over the internet. I know that Marko's Paper carries some Nesties if you have any of those nearby.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #162  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will look that site up for nestabilities, thanks. I was given a hint by someone in my card club and it worked great for me. I had left the cover off my glue stick and it had become hard. Had threw it away but went to card club that afternoon and was told to wet a cotton ball and place it in the top of the glue stick and put the cover on. needless to say I went home and took it out of the trash. Put the cotton ball in it and then forgot it for a week, it was as good as new when at last I remembered to check it.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #163  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Such great tips and advice so far! Another thing I have seen happen on the boards is people searcing for particular stamp sets or items and very generous ladies here on the SCS offering to stamp them out a set. I thought that was fantastic If you aren't afraid to ask, and only need one stamping, maybe someone could help you out on the ISO (maybe you can offer to pay for postage or something?!)

And when in doubt, I ask! I have PM'd several hosts so far and said what does this mean, how do I do this or that and EVERYONE has just been super duper! I just got here, too, but jumped in head first and have only had a wee bit of hand holding, lol.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #164  
Rubber Obsessor

I haven't had time to read all of the posts (but have picked up some great advice so far. ) Maybe someone has already suggested this, but is there any way to make this thread a "sticky" topic that will remain at the top of this forum? Hope I'm not out of line in asking.

Thanks!

--Sheila
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #165  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgs37View Post
One of my favorite "thrifty" ways to raise part of my card is to cut apart and use empty cereal boxes. It's not as thick as a "pop-dot", so it's much easier to fit in an envelope to mail; and you can punch out circles, squares, and so on to use underneath stamped embellishments. Using the lightweight chipboard also gives a card a lot of stability.

Thanks for starting the thread! Good luck!
First, I absolutely love this idea - I have been making homemade chipboard for awhile now and no one has ever mentioned that they've known underneath my patterned paper was anything from my house!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #166  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm slow to learn too, but this summer I'm indexing my 100+ stamp sets if it kills me.

Um ........... can we come play at your house? )

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #167  
Embossing Fanatic

Okay, I'm still a "newbie," but I thought I'd share this confidence booster I discovered. If you're feeling like you're not an amazing artist, especially after seeing the examples in the weekly tutorials, go to that artist's gallery. Take a look at the artist's first uploads and you'll gain some confidence.

I really don't want this to sound bad, because I have a LOT of admiration for the great work Beate Johns does and have been "stalking" her gallery for a while, but when I looked at her oldest uploads I realized that we all start somewhere. I'm not saying her early stuff was bad work or not nice-looking stuff, but it's not up to par with the work she's doing now. So it's okay to not have professional-quality cards because you'll learn from other people on SCS and you'll grow in your skills. It just takes time and practice (which who wouldn't want to spend more time stamping in the name of personal growth?):-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #168  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Quote:

Will look that site up for nestabilities, thanks. I was given a hint by someone in my card club and it worked great for me. I had left the cover off my glue stick and it had become hard. Had threw it away but went to card club that afternoon and was told to wet a cotton ball and place it in the top of the glue stick and put the cover on. needless to say I went home and took it out of the trash. Put the cotton ball in it and then forgot it for a week, it was as good as new when at last I remembered to check it.;)
What a great tip -- thanks for sharing. :-D
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #169  
Hardware Hotshot

:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenrnView Post
Oh -- here's another good one. I remember when I first started stamping, I wanted to buy the Stamp-a-ma-Jig but had no clue how to use it! Here's a great video tutorial that makes it crystal clear. And I promise, once you get the hang of using the SAMJ, you'll never stamp without it again!

http://kwernerdesign.com/blog/2007/1...ampamajig.html
I just found one of these neat tools at JA's but they were clueless about the clear sheets I needed to stamp the master copy on. Where do you get them and what do you call them? The little helpers at JA were NO help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #170  
Polyshrink Goddess

"I just found one of these neat tools at JA's but they were clueless about the clear sheets I needed to stamp the master copy on. Where do you get them and what do you call them? The little helpers at JA were NO help!"

mine came with two of those clear sheets, but if yours didn't, another poster earlier had said she used vellum with hers,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #171  
Crimping Master

Talk about intimidating ... I saw the topic of this thread, and then saw that it was up to 5 pages! That's a lot of stuff for a newbie to know! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #172  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post
"I just found one of these neat tools at JA's but they were clueless about the clear sheets I needed to stamp the master copy on. Where do you get them and what do you call them? The little helpers at JA were NO help!"

mine came with two of those clear sheets, but if yours didn't, another poster earlier had said she used vellum with hers,
It took a JA attendant conference to just figure out that it took Velum, and they still came to the conclusion they must not carry it. I cant believe that since it is used for so many projects (I hear). Would it be in a different department besides stamping and scrapping?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #173  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
It took a JA attendant conference to just figure out that it took Velum, and they still came to the conclusion they must not carry it. I cant believe that since it is used for so many projects (I hear). Would it be in a different department besides stamping and scrapping?
If you're looking for vellum, you'll find it in the aisle where they have all of the open-stock paper. You'll have to search around for it, it should be with the specialty papers, like embossed, glittered, mulberry, etc. Just FYI, it's not very heavy/thick like the plastic sheet that comes with the SAMJ but it works the same way. HTH.

Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #174  
Hardware Hotshot

Didn't someone post earlier that you can also use an overhead transparency instead of trying to find vellum? Find a teacher and ask for transparencys...or go to staples...

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #175  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks both of you. I was a little cranky :( when I got back from lunch after that foolishness. I will check with Staples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #176  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4View Post
I'm slow to learn too, but this summer I'm indexing my 100+ stamp sets if it kills me.

Um ........... can we come play at your house?
)
I'd've said, "Can you help me come index?" :rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #177  
Stazon Splitcoast

What you want for your Stamp-A-Ma-Jig is "imaging sheets". I am surprised that it didn't come with them.:confused:

Stamp on the rough side with any classic ink. They can be wiped off and used over and over again. If JoAnn's doesn't have them, try Michaels or AC Moore.

If you want to use vellum with them, get the Stampin' Up! cardstock weight vellum. It will work much better than the regular weight. And, make sure that if you opt to use transparancies, you also get a heavier weight of those. Otherwise, these may slip under the SAMJ tool, which will take away the advantage of it using it.

I generally use CS vellum for this so that I can "save" an alphabet or something like All in the Family, both of which have lots of pieces.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #178  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Wow, thought I lost this thread, glad I found it again today.Can I ask a question here pro and cons on the two different cricut machines? I have been saving up but hard to part with the money until I find out more what people think of them, also I do both cards and scrapbooks, so what can the new machine do that the older one can't??? Is there a place here I can see what people use them for? Thanks for any help. Happy stamping to everyone!
The original Cricut is portable (with a handle and weighs about 9 lbs) but it's maximum cutting mat size is 6x12. I got the Cricut Expression for my b-day which has a larger format (up to 12x24) but is really meant to stay where it's put. I love, love, love my big bug but be forewarned the cartridges are expensive. List price is up to $89, but Wal-Mart sells them for $59, and you can get deals all over the web. Usually M's and JA's exclude Cricut stuff in their coupons but they do have sales. My bug came with 2 carts and since then I've purchased 13 more! (OMG in less than 2 months! Yes, I'm addicted) Worse than that I'm not a scrapper so I had to start from scratch with paper and everything. Yikes!

I'm not sure what features were added to the big bug but there are some. I just wanted the larger format for endless possibilities. I'm only doing cards at the moment, but I love that I can cut cards and matching envies from many of the carts.

To see all the great stuff you can do go to Cricut.com. I subscribed to that site even before I got my bug and it's also awesome. Found out about you guys from them and just joined here. I was always coming here for unique ideas for card folds etc. I want to expand into some stamping so here I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #179  
Stazon Splitcoast

My wonderful dh gave me a cricut expressions and it is absolutely wonderful. Am relatively new at using it but JA said that the expression one has far more features than the old one.

Btw, since my dh purchased this model, it has come down in price quite a bit. Saw it advertised recently for around $300 - much less than the price dh paid.

:-D
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #180  
Insane Embellisher

Just bought the cuttle bug in Fargo while visiting my daughter this last weekend(a great stamp store there), so now back to saving for the next thing, but think it will be some of those nestabilities everyone talks about. Can you use others then just cuttle bug and nesties in the machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #181  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default CUTTLEBUG

That is why I bought the cuttlebug. I really checked out the others and found with the cuttlebug I could use ANY die cut or embossing plate, folder whatever! I love my nesties with the cuttlebug and the embossing folders are fantastic. enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #182  
Glitter Queen

Smile stamp-a-ma-jig

Quote:

:confused:

I just found one of these neat tools at JA's but they were clueless about the clear sheets I needed to stamp the master copy on. Where do you get them and what do you call them? The little helpers at JA were NO help!
I have the clear sheet that came with mine but mostly use the hard clear plastic so many tools and stamp sets come packed in. Just cut them into squares or rectangle and you're good to go. They can be thrown away or easily wiped off and used again and again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #183  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnsaView Post
That is why I bought the cuttlebug. I really checked out the others and found with the cuttlebug I could use ANY die cut or embossing plate, folder whatever! I love my nesties with the cuttlebug and the embossing folders are fantastic. enjoy
By chance, do you know the 'formula' to use for thin plastic stencils on the bug? Tried a few things but can't seem to get that nice crisp look. Thanks :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #184  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sheets for SAMJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post

AC Moore at one time had extra packs of the sheets for the SAMJ. Haven't seen them lately. BUT, if you want something sturdier than vellum or transparency sheets, buy a blank stencil sheet (ya know, where you cut your own stencil). Wallieworld has them with the regular stencils - 97 cents - and they're large enough to cut into 4 pieces. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #185  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
AC Moore at one time had extra packs of the sheets for the SAMJ. Haven't seen them lately. BUT, if you want something sturdier than vellum or transparency sheets, buy a blank stencil sheet (ya know, where you cut your own stencil). Wallieworld has them with the regular stencils - 97 cents - and they're large enough to cut into 4 pieces. HTH!
Thanks, You ladies are the greatest resource possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #186  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

Stamphappy1650, you said it very well, I can't think of anything to add on that subject, learn the basics and have fun.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #187  
Rubber Obsessor

I guess it is not possible to make this a sticky topic? :(

--Sheila
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #188  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHoosierView Post
I guess it is not possible to make this a sticky topic? :(

--Sheila
Sure, we can talk about glue and tape for awhile What is your favorite bonding agent for heavier embellies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #189  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Sure, we can talk about glue and tape for awhile What is your favorite bonding agent for heavier embellies?
Well, that's not quite what I meant, interesting topic though it may be, LOL.

I asked about making this a sticky topic somewhat selfishly. I don't stop by here as often as I'd like or should, so it is easy to lose track of or entirely forget interesting topics. Yeah, I can use the search function for now, but in a few weeks or months after I forget about this topic, the search box won't be of any use. Maybe most people come here often enough that they don't lose track of interesting topics. :confused:

I'm not sure what criteria must be met to make a topic "sticky," but this one seems worthy of the honor. Just my opinion.

--Sheila
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #190  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I asked about making this a sticky topic somewhat selfishly. I don't stop by here as often as I'd like or should, so it is easy to lose track of or entirely forget interesting topics. Yeah, I can use the search function for now, but in a few weeks or months after I forget about this topic, the search box won't be of any use. Maybe most people come here often enough that they don't lose track of interesting topics. :confused:

I'm not sure what criteria must be met to make a topic "sticky," but this one seems worthy of the honor. Just my opinion.

--Sheila

All I can say is ROFL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #191  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

--Sheila
Sheila, if you subscribe to the thread, it will come up when there are new posts. Wasn't sure if you knew that. You can also access from the Quick Links section at the top of the page when you're subbed. (I only learned that recently, myself.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 04:10 AM   #192  
Hardware Hotshot

I have it up all the time. I can certainly bump daily or multple times daily if that helps. NP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #193  
Polyshrink Goddess

is there another way to subscribe to a thread other than posting in it? if there's another way, then i'm forum challenged, and could use a helping hand.

just make sure you type really s l o w l y, so that i get it, ok?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #194  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

At the top of this page under the page numbers, there are 3 grey tabs. Click on the one that says Thread Tools.
On the drop-down box from that, click on Subscribe to this thread.
Then you have the option under Notifications to choose whether you get instant emails when people post, or daily, weekly or none at all.
HTH. Then you will get an email with a link in it which you can click and it will take you straight to this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #195  
Glitter Queen

there are some really great tips here! thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #196  
Compulsive Stamper

question: are we allowed to list out etsy store and any design teams that we are on in our siggy line?...don't want to break any rules...thanks...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #197  
Glitter Queen

When I make a card I usually do one of these:

- Make 2 of them so I can remember what I made if I want to do it again

- Take a picture of the card....so I can remember if I want to do it again

- OR I just make the front of the card (not the actual card like I would mail so I save paper). Then on the back of the card I write the names of the paper I used and the color names of the ink/markers/etc.

This helps me keep track of what I make and easily use it again!

My Small....but Growing Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #198  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
At the top of this page under the page numbers, there are 3 grey tabs. Click on the one that says Thread Tools.
On the drop-down box from that, click on Subscribe to this thread.
Then you have the option under Notifications to choose whether you get instant emails when people post, or daily, weekly or none at all.
HTH. Then you will get an email with a link in it which you can click and it will take you straight to this thread.
saweet! thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 04:03 AM   #199  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

Sara, That is a great idea. When I'm making cards I always make at least two, mainly so I build up my stash of cards to have on hand when needed. Usually, I leave off the sentiment, especially if the card can be used for more then one occasion and then stamp the sentiment when I need it. My DH and I travel alot and I usually grab a selection of cards to take with me just to be ready if needed and then pack a small plastic pencil box with an ink pad and several small stamps. THis easily fits in my suitcase or a drawer in the motor home.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #200  
Glitter Guru

Ok, I have not read this entire thread, but I thought I'd add this tidbit (I already added it under another thread~ but thought it would be a good one for newbies as well)

*Tip* always use a stamp as soon as possible ~ that way if it is damaged, you can get a replacement. I learned this the hard way when I first started SU ~ I was buying stamps like there was no tomorrow... but was taking upto 6 months to mount them. And unfortunately, one set was damaged & it was from a Mini & was no longer covered under the warranty ~ so I learned a costly lesson.
Reply With Quote Likes