Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are they appreciated ... our cards?

Do you think non-cardmakers appreciate and/or love hand made cards as much as cardmakers do? Or do they look at it and wonder why we didn't 'spend money' on a card for them (if they only knew the amount of money spent to make that one card!).

I had been so blown away by what I was seeing online I knew I had to start doing it myself, but I've always loved paper, ribbon, fabric, etc. I hadn't actually seen one of these hand made card in person until I recieved a cute round one with my TAC catalog and now the first one that I've finally made. There's just something about them that makes you grin like a fool . :mrgreen:

I don't have any association with others that get into making things, like I do. The internet is my source of inspiration and comraderey, so I don't get exposure to 'outsiders'. I mean seriously, who would have thought you could have a party online like the new release parties on the forums, and actually have fun?!

Just wondering.
Cindy
my one card
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, I think they are appreciated. In my family/friends if I send a store bought card they think there is something wrong. They do appreciate the thought, but they would much rather have one I make. Also, they all say they keep all of them. The thing is that they have no clue as to what it takes to make something and how much it can cost if you don't make enough cards to spread out the cost. I don't concentrate on the cost - if I didn't send out the cards I'd be over run with art work so it has multiple values: they get something beautiful, I get to have fun making something, and it gets out of my stamp room (chuckle). I hope you have fun with this craft and don't worry about the other stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

My familiy and friends love them. I recently made some sets of cards for some friends birthdays. We happened to be in a roup of friends when I gave them out. They didn't believe I had made them and asked where I got them. When I told them I made them, they were amazed. I had to show them the back befor ethey would believe it. Several said I should go into business. One friend made sure I knew her birthday is in Septemeber so I would be sure to make a set for her. I made some for my sisters and mother at Easter and they loved them too. My daughter is always a guinea pig for my designs and she is thrilled because she always has cards to use. In fact, I made a set for Easter and someone didn't show up. She was glad the initial was the same because then she got to keep them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I think by most people they are very appreciated. I have to tell almost everyone the card is handmade. The Christmas before last I made a bunch of ornaments (the kind with acetate inside) for family/friends and there was one hanging on every tree I saw this past Christmas. That was pretty satisfying. Everyone so far has really seemed to love the things I've made fore them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Another crafter might appreciate our cards, but most people go "Oh, nice card" and move on. But I have to remind myself that I may not understand their hobbies so it goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've gotten so many compliments on my cards, that I don't worry about it any longer. Most that I send to look forward to getting them--so that if I sent a 'bought' card, they might wonder what was up. But I figure whatever kind of card you send, you're conveying the thoughts that you care about that person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think on the whole, most people appreciate it. My biggest complement came when someone actually framed a card of mine and hung it on her wall.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think for the most part yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think for the most part yes but it kills me when I find out that someone threw away one of my cards. Sometimes after I put all that work into a card I become a little emotionally attached to my work. But I understand...not everyone gets my hobby and obsession for papercrafting. Like many of you...I have had my share of recognition that makes me know that it was apprecaited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I think most people like them, but there are just folks that don't really appreciate things like cards. For those people, I give a much simpler card. For those that either make cards or appreciate the time they take I make much more creative and detailed cards. In either case, who doesn't like a card. I mean how much real mail do any of us get without bills

My Blog - Just me and the dog (stamping too)

My little gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I think it depends on who gets them. I know I have given some away then end up in the garbage but I have given them to teachers who love them and well of course my parents and customers i sell them too i know love em but there are always those one's I am sure that wonder why we waste our time LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

The receivers of my cards love them. I think that they realize how much time it took (I am mostly speaking of the 100+ cards I have made on Christmas and then Grandmother's 80th birthday) and that not everyone can go home and do what I just did.

I know that (and it KILLS me to admit it), on occasion, some of my creations may end up in the trash. But I also know that in the trash or not, that person knows that I spent time and energy creating this one-of-a-kind card for them and they appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, it certainly sounds like you all get good responses to your creativity. Those of you with galleries or blogs in your signatures, I looked... well no wonder your cards are so well received and appreciated... you are so good at it and your cards are fabulous. I'm sure there will always be the outlyer that will just look at it once and set it aside or trash it... their loss. I have always made things, especially at Christmas, annual ornaments, etc., for friends and family and almost all can't wait to see what I've come up with each year.

I'm not typically a card sender, but I plan to become one!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether the receiver of my cards appreciates it or not, I enjoy the art and creativity of making my cards. It gives me time to reflect on that person and personalize the card.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I just received two emails from a friend stating she LOVES my cards and wished we lived closer to each other so I could "teach" her how to stamp and make cards. Boy if that didn't make my month, I don't know what will!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Several friends of mine (including myself) discussed one day that we send cards to people that are "card worthy" ie: reference to Seinfeld's episode "sponge worthy". It goes to people that we know are either crafter's or card makers themselves, teachers or family that enjoy our work. If I want to make an impression on someone I will send a hand made card. Otherwise, they get Hallmark. It's funny though how many of us had the same thought of "card worthy".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I am very fortunate. All my family appreciates my handmade cards. I especially loved it when my brother-in-law was complimentary about my Thanksgiving card. Most guys don't pay attention as much as the ladies do.

My daughter has several of the cards I made displayed on a shelf or tacked on a wall. Even the tin foil one!!!
John 3:16

Last edited by GarnetJ; 03-26-2008 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Most of the people I send cards to will say that they loved them/cant believe I made them/how did I do that? etc but there are others that just dont appriciate the work that went into them....:rolleyes:

For those who appriciate I ensure I spend a lot of time and effort on the next occassion to thank them through my cards......and those that dont well they get a card it just might not be a wonderful, timeconsuming one....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I actually just had a good friend tell me that she's kept all the cards I've made her over the years...I couldn't believe it! I knew she liked them but honestly, I didn't expect her to *keep* them around for so long...ha ha! So yes, I do think that a lot of people appreciate the time and effort that goes into a handmade card.

www.lettersfromlizzie.blogspot.com
www.lizzieannedesigns.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I actually just had a good friend tell me that she's kept all the cards I've made her over the years...I couldn't believe it! I knew she liked them but honestly, I didn't expect her to *keep* them around for so long...ha ha! So yes, I do think that a lot of people appreciate the time and effort that goes into a handmade card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Funny thing, I just found out that a good friend of mine has kept all the handmade cards I've sent her over the years. I couldn't believe it...I knew she liked getting my cards but honestly, I didn't expect her to *keep* them, ha ha! So yes, I think our effort is appreciated by many, maybe more than we know!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I try not to think about people throwing out my cards. My BF's mother frames hers and keeps it out all year! That really makes me feel good and keeps me going!

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbrdView Post
I think on the whole, most people appreciate it. My biggest complement came when someone actually framed a card of mine and hung it on her wall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I used to worry whether people appreciated my cards, but now I get so much pleasure in the creative process that it doesn't really matter. I mean, I'm really the one gaining from the making of the card and if the person who receives it values it as much as I do, then that just adds to my joy in the process. I love giving cards in person so I can share in the person's reaction to the card. Whether they keep it or not, they always seem amazed that the card is hand made with so much detail, etc. It's all good!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I think most people appreciate the handmade cards. That being said, I send almost every card with my message written on a post it note inside, that way the person I am sending it to gets my greeting and a little gift to pass on. So many people have commented on how they appreciate it or how it has saved them at the last minute when they needed a card. Additionally, I know it doesn't go in the trash, but at least gets used one more time

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny thing happen to me on Easter Sunday. Father in law finally said something about my cards. He had just noticed after 3 years of receiving them that I made them myself. He was quite impressed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingShawnView Post
I used to worry whether people appreciated my cards, but now I get so much pleasure in the creative process that it doesn't really matter. I mean, I'm really the one gaining from the making of the card and if the person who receives it values it as much as I do, then that just adds to my joy in the process. I love giving cards in person so I can share in the person's reaction to the card. Whether they keep it or not, they always seem amazed that the card is hand made with so much detail, etc. It's all good!
What she said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Like Lizzie, I've had a couple of people tell me that they've kept every card i've sent them - and one friend displays them on the notice board in her kitchen One long distance friend (contact mainly through the annual Christmas card) wrote in her annual letter that she always looks forward to seeing what I came up with - luckily I got that just before I was about to put a store bought card in an envelope for her this year! Time got away from me, so this year I have started on the Christmas cards and labels already, but that is another thread!

For me, comments and actions like that totally make up for anyone that just throws my cards away or doesn't appreciate them.

Glad you are enjoying your stamps, Cindy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
Glad you are enjoying your stamps, Cindy!
Thanks, Kay! I think its only just begun and I figure as long as I had fun doing it, what happens at the other end is out of my control and doesn't really matter all that much.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:51 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I have a friend who is going through some rough family things right now - I took the time to sit down and make her a nice card. It really made me feel good to do it. I mailed it to her, not sure if she ever even recieved it as I've never heard anything back. I'm not saying that I only send people cards for the recognition, but I think it's nice to at least get a phone call to acknowledge the fact that I cared enough to hand make something for her, during her difficult time!

I guess some people just don't get it. Nothing you can do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Honestly I have two gauges for people: The people that like and/or respect and appreciate handmade items, and the people that do not.

It speaks volumes to me about someone's personality if they have no part in their heart to have appreciation for someone's time put into something.

Oh though I did want to add that finally something kicked in -- I started doing stuff for fun and not trying to impress.I had stopped making stuff for a long time cause I felt like I had to impress. Not so much anymore, DD and I flip open an idea book and do it, send it and it is fun actually using all the plethora of idea binders I have been saving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #31  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely depends on the person. My 84 year old aunt dislikes anything handmade. She thinks it's a cop-out. Even if I spend hours making something, she sees it as "cheap" if I didn't buy something.

She collects pigs, and for her 80th birthday I made her an embroidered clock and a set of towels. They took me a long time (and I had to buy the towels and the clock!) and the look on her face was like I had given her a box of crap. Someone else gave her a pig figurine that they bought at the dollar store, and she was all smiles. That was the last time I gave her anything that I made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
She collects pigs, and for her 80th birthday I made her an embroidered clock and a set of towels. They took me a long time (and I had to buy the towels and the clock!) and the look on her face was like I had given her a box of crap. Someone else gave her a pig figurine that they bought at the dollar store, and she was all smiles. That was the last time I gave her anything that I made.
OK this really made me laugh!! sorry!! I think it's just cute that she collects Pigs! of all things!! hehehe. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:34 AM   #33  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you thought that was funny you should have seen her with the stripper! Yes, some members of her family hired a stripper for her 80th birthday. (Would he be considered handmade? :mrgreen: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

If you thought that was funny you should have seen her with the stripper! Yes, some members of her family hired a stripper for her 80th birthday. (Would he be considered handmade? :mrgreen: )
HAHA!! Wooahh! I hope I am that "full of life" when I turn 80!! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Some people appreciate it, some people don't care or just don't "get it". The latter stop getting handmade cards from me!

Like others have said, I don't write directly on the card, I use another sheet of paper so that the recipient can use the card again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Definitely depends on the person. My 84 year old aunt dislikes anything handmade. She thinks it's a cop-out. Even if I spend hours making something, she sees it as "cheap" if I didn't buy something.

See I get that she wouldn't appreciate it and think it was cheap because she is of the era that something from the store was special and something handmade was if you couldn't afford to buy something from the store.

I'm lucky I think most of my cards are appreciated and I try to vary techniques and progress so last year's isn't the same etc...I come from a crafty family (painters, ceramics, knitters, crotchers, quiltmakers, etc) and my husband's family is as well to some degree (photography, drawing). I don't sweat it if one card gets thrown out...I know people have different issues (some can't stand clutter at all -so although they loved it and loved that you made it they can't keep it as it is clutter to them - go figure there are people like that in the world:rolleyes: :lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieView Post
oh my gosh, I didn't mean to reply to this thread three times. HA HA! I was getting an error and didn't think it had worked.... it was late last night ...couldn't sleep cause my hubby was snoring!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Some people appreciate it, some people don't care or just don't "get it".
I agree. Some of my family/friends are in awe of my cards and save them, don't want to use the ones that I gift to them, etc. They regularly receive sets of cards and other handmade goodies from me as gifts! :mrgreen: While others are like, "oh, you made this ..." as if they are trying to figure out what crazy disease I have that possess me to make such a thing! They get a basic handmade card with their plain, store-bought, more appreciated by them, gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Some people appreciate it, some people don't care or just don't "get it". The latter stop getting handmade cards from me!

Like others have said, I don't write directly on the card, I use another sheet of paper so that the recipient can use the card again.
Do you make any notation in the card or on your note to 'allow' them to re-card your card? Otherwise, I wonder if they would consider it.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

You're a better person than I am... it would have been the last time I gave her *anything* at all!!! Geez, some people!

I agree with the poster about people being "card worthy". I know several who are not... meaning if they get a card from me, it's from the dollar store. Only those "worthy" of a handmade creation (meaning, the ones that I know will actually appreciate it) will get one from me!

ETA: I ordered one of those personalized stamps from SU and had it made to say "This better not go in the trash!" I stamp that on the back of the envelope of every handmade card I send!

Last edited by memory_lane; 03-26-2008 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added last line
Reply With Quote Likes