Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell us of your Black Friday Tales & Treasures

I think it would be fun to read the interesting tales and bargains of the Black Friday shoppers here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not able to go out this year due to an injury to my leg, so DH and DS went to JoAnn's on their way to Bass Pro Shop and picked up two cartridges for me. New Testament and Florals Embellished, I won't be able to play with them until Christmas. I figure $26.99 per cartridge is a great deal compared to regular prices and the New Testament cartridge is a really new release, I wasn't sure it would even be there, so I'm happy.

I know others are getting Cricut machines at Great Deals, but I don't need a machine.

Now their off to play at Bass Pro, they're looking for jeans and fishing stuff.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I've wanted to get some Kraftin Kimmies stamps for a while but kept putting it off. I'm glad I waited, they're having a sitewide sale and I picked up pretty much everthing I wanted. The sale prices varied but a few were as much as 50% off.

Impression Obsession is also have a sale so I'm thinking about finally getting some of the Mega Mount stamps. I love 'tree' stamps and they have some georgous ones in the Mega Mounts.

Locally, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to deal with the crowds. It's 6:00 a.m here and several of the malls opened at midnight last night. I've been watching the news and it looks pretty scary out there.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have been debating about buying a Silhouette machine & have been watching ebay for a used SD model. This morning I saw a used one sold on ebay for $222. I found out I could get a Cameo for 20% off at OhMyCrafts ($216) with THANKS20 code & 30% off at Silhouette America with BLACK code, so I bought some accessories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I braved the crowds and was rewarded. I got nice warm wool socks at 50% off at Fred Meyers...I mean nice socks! At Joann's I got lots of fleece fabric for hats, flower pins and a jacket for 2.25/yard! And lastly I got a new pair of fiskers scissors for only 3.90...and no sales tax in Oregon

One older lady cut in the line and me being me, said "ma'am, there is only one line". She replied "Well I'm not going to wait forever" and glared at me. She did this in front of her grandchildren. Well, the register in the line she cut into went down, and she was still standing in the same place after I waited for 2 long transactions, then checked out and was out the door with a smile on my face for all my great savings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I did a big order at SP&Company today for some new stamps. Can't wait to get them. I wasn't really tempted by anything else this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

We didn't go to any big stores (I worked retail in college and HATE shopping) but we did go to two local businesses. Our paint your own pottery place had a no studio fee session this morning, so DD and I went and enjoyed some time together there. We stopped at the LSS on our way home, and they had some deals. I got a cute poinsettia stamp for $1, DD picked up a few things and we got a goodie bag because we were there soon enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Sounds like some good deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have greatly enjoyed window shopping online this year. Thanks to SCS, I learned about a couple of online stores that I'd never heard of and spent hours upon hours these past two or three days browsing their inventory.

At a few sites, I even went so far as to put a few things in my cart to see what the grand total would be including tax and shipping. But not once did I hit the "payment" button. It wasn't that I didn't want to, but money is really (and I mean REALLY) tight right now, and needs to go toward the more important things like food and the electric bill.

Oddly enough, I'm not feeling as "poor me" about the experience as I thought I would. Frankly, I didn't find this year's Black Friday "deals" to be all that tempting. I'm sorry, but 20% off on Black Friday isn't much of a bargain.

What I did get was a big list of dies and stamps that I'd like to get one day in the future. I even wrote down the stores and the regular prices so I can do a little comparison shopping after I finally land a job ... which I pray is soon!

I now have a short list of a few dies and two or three stamps that I'd like to eventually purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I finally ordered my Cameo! I am very excited about getting it. We started out not planning on going anywhere except ACMoore, the only thing we had to do was get there before the coupon expired.

DH ended up waking up super early(4am) so he went to Home Depot for some storage cabinets that were a great price and then Radio Shack. He also went to Walmart about 5 am and it was deserted.

After I got up, we went on to ACMoore, they had the cube storage on sale and I wanted to look at it. Ended up buying a couple of wreaths for the house and a couple of the Fiskars cutters that were 5.00.

Unfortunately I was looking for some house decor stuff that ACMoore didn't have. On to Joanns. They were packed! There weren't any carts in or outside the store! Wandered around in there, found a 2ft aluminum tree and some other small decorating stuff.

Since we still hadn't found everything we needed for the house, we went on to Michaels. They were still pretty busy at about 11:00 am. They had the Cube storage 50% off also, but still didn't see anything too exciting. I did find one of the Halloween trains marked down to 17.00 dollars. That was probably the best price of the day for Brick and Mortar stores since I was able to use the 30% off coupon.

So for two people who weren't going to do the Black Friday thing, we had a very full morning.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson

Last edited by ceramicat1; 11-25-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I got up at 4:30 am and have spen the ENTIRE day in my craft room stamping. I made
quite a few cards and I'm taking a break right now. Went to Michaels last nite, they sold out of the Cricut Expression2 in 2 minutes...Of course they only had 4 or 5 of them.
I am so tired of Michaels and their fabulous prices for cricut stuff only to be disappointed because they only have a couple. Should be a law that they have to issue a raincheck if they run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, Christmas is all about the grandkids, especially the younger ones. My daughter has 6 from ages 11 down to 4, so I'm always on the lookout for cute things for them.

Believe it or not, I found the best thing at Walgreens drugstore on Thanksgiving afternoon. There is a new cute pillow-type toy called Happy Nappers. Take a look to see how darling they are. Here's a link:

https://www.happynapper.com/?mid=1072641

Now, cute as they are, grandma can't pay $20 and buy multiples. So whoopee, Walgreens had them on a 1-day sale, Buy one, get one free. Getting something that cute and well made for $10 is the kind of bargain I love.

I picked up 6 of them, 2 dragons in their castle, and 4 ladybugs, and I'm delighted I found them on sale.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 854 Likes on 281 Posts

I got up and went to JoAnn's this morning. Was well worth it. I got over $350 worth of fabric and yarn and a few more incidentals for only $108. I would have gotten more but my bank account wouldn't allow it :-(
They had some great Christmas sizzix dies w/embossing folders for 75% off. I so wish I could have gotten the 2 that I wanted. Wouldn't have been a problem if DH had brought his paycheck home like he was supposed to. Oh well! At least I got what I originally went there for (flannel fabric and yarn for my SIL's Christmas present).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

Now, cute as they are, grandma can't pay $20 and buy multiples. So whoopee, Walgreens had them on a 1-day sale, Buy one, get one free. Getting something that cute and well made for $10 is the kind of bargain I love.
SCORE!! That is a Great deal! I've never seen those pillow toys before. But then, my "kids" are 24 and 32 and I don't yet have any grands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

My 7-year-old dd wants one of these so bad...missed this sale but I did get her a pogo stick at Walmart for $12...crazy girl wants a pillow pet/happy napper and a pogo stick makes me laugh

Quote:

For me, Christmas is all about the grandkids, especially the younger ones. My daughter has 6 from ages 11 down to 4, so I'm always on the lookout for cute things for them.

Believe it or not, I found the best thing at Walgreens drugstore on Thanksgiving afternoon. There is a new cute pillow-type toy called Happy Nappers. Take a look to see how darling they are. Here's a link:

I picked up 6 of them, 2 dragons in their castle, and 4 ladybugs, and I'm delighted I found them on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 805 Likes on 328 Posts

I used the coupon code (25%) and got two Flourishes stamps, a poppy and a floral with a hummingbird.
Poppy Patch Stamp Set
Humming Along

Then I found a Magenta book (used) I'd been wanting on Amazon for 1 cent! Of course shipping was 3.99 but still for $ dollars that's pretty good.

I also got a back issue of Somerset Studio that I didn't have, the Celtic Issue. I love that magazine's early years - up until 2002. After that is changed to become more modern/experimental or Avant-garde and I quit subscribing.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us of your Black Friday Tales & Treasures-magentabook.jpg   Tell us of your Black Friday Tales & Treasures-somersetceltic.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I did my damage online this morning! :lol:

I ended up placing 2 orders with JoAnns and then I bought dies from MFT and also Ellen Hutson too. I've been wanting to buy some Memory Box dies, so it was the perfect time to place an order at Ellen Hutson. Now the wait begins for the goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Those are Cute!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumcrazyView Post
I did my damage online this morning! :lol:

I ended up placing 2 orders with JoAnns and then I bought dies from MFT and also Ellen Hutson too. I've been wanting to buy some Memory Box dies, so it was the perfect time to place an order at Ellen Hutson. Now the wait begins for the goodies!
That's where I did the majority of my shopping. I ordered Memory Box from Ellen Hutson also. And ordered Sizzix from Joanns and Scrapmart.

― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Well, I guess I am one of the crazies! My Mom and I started out at Walmart at 9:15 last night, I didn't need/want anything with a big ticket so I wasn't worried about being trampled! LOL I got PJs for my two little ones (they are both 5), some shirts, and PJ pants for my oldest son(16), and PJ pants and a fleece jacket for my oldest daughter (14). I also got a BUNCH of DVDs from everyone's lists. I got DH some jeans and a few other things. Then, on to Kohls for my Mom to get gifts for all of the grandkids. I got a couple of things there too(including slippers for me hehe). We headed to Target which was a HUGE issue!! Took two hours to get through the winding checkout line!! We did it though!! After that we went back to Walmart for some small things (and it was like a ghost town!!) and to kill some time till Joann's opened. We were first in line at Joann's and I got two of the Iris paper carriers, a satchel, and a Halloween punch that was already on clearance. We headed to breakfast and then hit Menards where they had Cricut lite carts for $12.99... I got two . I got home around 9, headed to bed around 9:30, and got up at 3, showered, put on fresh jammies and have done NOTHING the rest of the day! LOL

Tomorrow we're cleaning the house, doing the laundry, getting the Christmas decorations started. I'm hoping to work on getting my Christmas cards finished too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #21  
dmo
Kookie Creator

Default Jo's Score!

I went to Jo's. Arrived a few minutes before the store opened, and stood in line. Once the doors opened I headed to the paper crafting area and searched for the "holiday Sizzix" stuff that was on the back page of their flyer for 75% off. Finally found it (hidden behind the pegboard with the curcuit tickets) even asked two store employees for help...misdirected me both times. Loaded my basket with items. Checked out the Tim Holtz dies (40% off) and added a few of those to my basket. Checked out using my 25% off everything coupon. They did not take the additional 25% off the 75% items but at 75% I'm not complaining. Total spent $68. Total saved $198.
SCORE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One older lady cut in the line and me being me, said "ma'am, there is only one line".

I hope you waved goodbye to her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I just received my Big Kick last month, so I'm in the stage of accumulating dies. I ordered a boatload of new dies from MFT, and with 20%off, plus a free stamp set, plus $15 off the total, plus freebies comin' my way, I'm super excited!

I may place an order at Unity before their sale is over, also.

I never do Black Friday store shopping...crowds are not my cuppa tea, and I would gladly pay double for the peace of mind, knowing that I'm not going to get trampled over silly stuff.

Today is Shop Local Saturday, and I plan on visiting the little shops in our historic downtown to support the local community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have never gone BF shopping. I always wanted too to see the melee. I got to go this year. It was a lot of fun. I didn't stand in line. I am not good with crowds. I did find some good deals. I got Art Noveau Cricut cartridge. I found a beautiful unadvertised laptop tonight. It was over 60% off. I put that in layaway to make payments slowly. I am a computer geek so my computers are usually over the top even when I build them. My DH surprised me with a Cricut Imagine. He wanted me to have one for a long time. It was a lot of fun this Black Friday melee but I want to be frugal again and enjoy my new pretty things, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I hit up six stores early Black Friday morning with my hubby and finished 4 1/2 hours later. Jo-Ann's was my only crafting stop. The Fiskars sale was the best! I bought a whole bunch of punches in the circle and square sizes that I didn't have, and a non-stick pair of small scissors that I wish I had when making Christmas cards. A couple of Spellbinders dies that they actually had in stock this time. A new plastic tote to hold all the punches I just bought. And a few fat quarter fabric bundles in solid colors that I always never seem to have when making quilts. I managed to keep that total just under $100. The fabric cutting line was really long, and good thing I didn't need any fleece or flannel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayide2View Post
I hit up six stores early Black Friday morning with my hubby and finished 4 1/2 hours later. Jo-Ann's was my only crafting stop. The Fiskars sale was the best! I bought a whole bunch of punches in the circle and square sizes that I didn't have, and a non-stick pair of small scissors that I wish I had when making Christmas cards. A couple of Spellbinders dies that they actually had in stock this time. A new plastic tote to hold all the punches I just bought. And a few fat quarter fabric bundles in solid colors that I always never seem to have when making quilts. I managed to keep that total just under $100. The fabric cutting line was really long, and good thing I didn't need any fleece or flannel.
Fabric lines are always crazy at JoAnn's on Black Friday. I told my DH fabrics would be crazy. He was really surprised about Black Friday fabric lines. I found some beautiful fabric I wanted. I ended up putting it back since the lines were so huge. That was around eight o'clock at night. You found some great deals. My JoAnn's didn't really have anything and I almost got mauled in the fabric department by a determined elderly lady, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

I went out Saturday afternoon and found most of the stores easy to get in and out of. I finished 90% of my shopping in one afternoon.

For me(!!!) I shopped online on Impression Obsession! Their 25% off sale hooked me in - I've been eyeing so many of their stamps and cut my wish list in half with my order. I'm still thinking about placing another order before their sale ends!!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

As far as crafty items (and me shopping, lol) I bought a Big Kick from ACMoore for $42, which I thought was pretty good. Been looking for one for a month, but with 50% off coupons they were always sold out by the time I got there...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougnatView Post
My 7-year-old dd wants one of these so bad...missed this sale but I did get her a pogo stick at Walmart for $12...crazy girl wants a pillow pet/happy napper and a pogo stick makes me laugh
Girl after my own heart! I wanted a pogo stick as a kid too! Finally got one and loved it! Had to practice to get it down, but so worth it once I figured it out! Lotsa fun for you! You gotta film her trying it out! LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I didn't realize they made pogo sticks anymore. I had one, too. And I remember loving the stilts that my dad made for me. They were only about 10" off the ground, but I remember feeling so tall when I walked around on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
Girl after my own heart! I wanted a pogo stick as a kid too! Finally got one and loved it! Had to practice to get it down, but so worth it once I figured it out! Lotsa fun for you! You gotta film her trying it out! LOL!
If you want some laughs (or Ohhhhs) type in "Pogostick fails" on Youtube. What I can't believe is there are "Professional Pogostickers"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #32  
neglecting the kids and housework

OK so MY Black Friday started when I got a call that my shift at Target was changing. SO I woke up Thursday a little before 8 and started cleaning and cooking for Thanksgiving and the fifteen people who'd be at my house. Then we ate and hung out and then I dozed for 20 minutes. Then I hung out some more and finally got ready to go to work at 11:30 that night. Doors opened at midnight. All in all the people that were there were really nice and happy to be out in the mix. I got home a little after 8 and went to bed after breakfast for about an hour. Then back up to get some sales going for my mom who needs a little mobility help and if I could walk up on ahead and grab the stuff off the shelves all the better. She got my son's' gifts and a few things for herself. Then more resting with the heating pad after we got back home. An hour later we went out with my brother and SIl for our Christmas trees. Finally at about 5:30 I could stand it no longer so I made the family dinner and I ate and went to bed :-)

I personally only bought one video game LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

I took advantage of the Flourishes sale/coupon code and bought some stamps I had been yearning for forever, plus those dies that make flowers when you roll them up! I tried doing them by hand and I don't seem to get it- they come apart and off :S
On Ebay, I found a single seller that had 3 things that had been on my wish list for quite some time- Scor Tape, versamarker and those punches you make wreathes and foliage with. I saved $12 on shipping
The big ticket item was also from Ebay- COPICS (sketch)! I got them for a little over $3 each, brand new. Now I own 107
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I got up and went to JoAnn's this morning. Was well worth it. I got over $350 worth of fabric and yarn and a few more incidentals for only $108. I would have gotten more but my bank account wouldn't allow it :-(
They had some great Christmas sizzix dies w/embossing folders for 75% off. I so wish I could have gotten the 2 that I wanted. Wouldn't have been a problem if DH had brought his paycheck home like he was supposed to. Oh well! At least I got what I originally went there for (flannel fabric and yarn for my SIL's Christmas present).
I got three of the sets that came with embossing folders. Not only were they 75% off, but the sale ad also had a coupon for 25% off your entire purchase and it included the sale items. So, I spent $36 and saved $146. Love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

An article I was a source for How to Avoid Overspending During the Holidays
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
I braved the crowds and was rewarded. I got nice warm wool socks at 50% off at Fred Meyers...I mean nice socks! At Joann's I got lots of fleece fabric for hats, flower pins and a jacket for 2.25/yard! And lastly I got a new pair of fiskers scissors for only 3.90...and no sales tax in Oregon

One older lady cut in the line and me being me, said "ma'am, there is only one line". She replied "Well I'm not going to wait forever" and glared at me. She did this in front of her grandchildren. Well, the register in the line she cut into went down, and she was still standing in the same place after I waited for 2 long transactions, then checked out and was out the door with a smile on my face for all my great savings.
How nervy of the line cutter. Merry Christmas. And good for you to feel that smile on your face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I love the word nervy. It always makes me smile. I agree that woman was nervy. Just because you hit the elderly stage doesn't give one an excuse to lose your manners.

I took advantage of one more Black Friday sale. I ordered a couple of stamps at VivaLasVegas. I waited because I was getting a new ISP provider today. My old providers was so wonky I was scared to order online.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

I wasn't going shopping, There wasn't nothing I really needed. But my DS wanted to go Thurs.night to Walmart. He said we could have quality time together shopping...so I went out with him only to find out his Girlfriend was there and they shopped together. I watched the crowds swarm in on some of the items. After the mad rush was kind of over, I went and got the Pyrex dishes and DS and I checked out (so did his GF and her parents) So I was home by 10:30. Slept in Friday morning..that was great! Then went to Menards and got 3 Cricut Cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie3View Post
One older lady cut in the line and me being me, said "ma'am, there is only one line".

I hope you waved goodbye to her!
This one is priceless....I bet she was fuming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

I got a cricut cake machine (not the mini) for $49.00!! Free shipping and the cartridges were 12.95. So, for the machine (which came with one cartridge) and four additional cartridges.....it was $100.49!!! Can't wait to get some fondant and have some fun.
Reply With Quote Likes