Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a lover of both lines. I am in a stamper 10 group with SU and a stampin class with TAC. I buy both of their stamps. More of the TAC embellishments but all SU paper and markers.
For my blocks for the TAC stamps, my husband got a sheet of clear acrylic and cut blocks for me in the sizes I told him. Instead of paying 15.00 for a set of 4 I paid 5.00 for about 12 of them. You can even use a CD case if nessecsary. You do NOT need to tape them to the blocks. They just cling all by themselves.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beside CD cases (for the frugal shopper! ;) ) you can use tic tac containers, other small plastic mint containers, the flat bottom of a glass or glass mug, (you can also mount the unmounted SU wheels on a straight sided glass and just roll away!) the bottom of a pyrex measuring glass--- Don't get me wrong the CD case works great too, but you want to make sure you help it out by presing lightly over the back of the image. If you mount your stamp smack dab in the middle of the CD case, the plastic is thin enough that it will bend a little when you press to stamp the image and I often miss out on the middles of my images that way. It's a great way to pack a quick car kit though- put your stamp inside the CD case for easy storage and mounting block in one (or place a small stamp inside an empty tic tac container) grad a small palette ink spot or 6 with a small pair of scissors, a stick of glue, a couple coloring pencils and some pre cut card fronts- I'm good to go! I have hours of stamping in one 6 X 8 clamshell box! The box doubles as another mounting surface as well! And for travelers on the go- I always use the bad for stamps baby wipe, mostly because they come in those small handy pouches. I do make sure to "reclean" my things when I get home to get the conditioning benefits of the stamp brand cleaners. How fun is that!

And yes again to agreeing with the previous post- you don't need anything to mount the TAC stamps- they cling to glass and pastic by themselves. They are rubber stamps just like SU and have the foam backing like SU- they are not like the acrylic stamps that have no foam backing. The only difference between SU and TAC foam is that the SU foam is sticky on both sides (one stick for the rubber stamp, the other stick for the wooden blocks) and TAC are just sticky on one side (stick for the rubber stamp and smooth and clingy for the acrylic block)
Amanda Allison - TAC angel #3779
Lovin every minute of it!
www.amandaallison.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #43  
Crimping Master

How much are the starter kits for both companies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

TAC's starter kit runs $150 plus $20 shipping and tax. But right now, if you sign up during August, TAC is running a new recruit special called TWO to Treasure. You get the Level C and Level D hostess sets for free! :grin: It's a sweet deal!

You can see those sets here:
http://theangelcompany.net/images/Fu...ndDHostess.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

The TAC kit is $150 plus tax and shipping, which usually brings it up to about 180 all together. The SU set is $199 plus tax and shipping.

Beyond just the flat out price, though, you just get really different things in each kit. Here's from a SU poster...
Quote:

There are five stamp sets (your choices at particular price levels), one wheel of your choice, wheel cartridge of your choice, five inkpads of your color choice, one package of neutral CS (your choice), two packages of any color family CS 8.5x11 (your choice of color family). No changes available on the rest of the kit: one black inkpad, the pastels, VersaMark, SU's double-sided adhesive (SNAIL, like Mono), a wheel handle, the craft & rubber scissors, the stampin' scrub & mist, plus catalogs and business supplies.

That's the basic starter kit for $199
The TAC kit gives you 7 stamp kits at different prices of your choice, your choice of either Tombow or Impress markers, 5 paper collections (2 designer, 2 wing it and 1 soar with it) of your choice from the front of the catalog, and then the "set" of : acrylic block start kit, black ink pad, white cardstock, and then a set of cardstock and paper elements (read- pop-out embellishments). You also get the current stamp of the month, a set of "booking" stamps that are only avaiable to demos and all your business supplies- which include catalogs, postcards, order forms, a training DVD (which you might find very useful ;) ) and then they also have the special now through AUg 31 of the additional 2 sets.

So if you look you see that the kits are pretty different- If you got the SU kit you could pretty much start having parties the next day- The TAC kit would require a bit more by way of supplies... mainly cardstock. The paper is beautiful and you can always layer that onto white cardstock, but most people like to start from a colored cardstock base, and that you would have to buy in addition to the kit. You also just get the black inkpad- no colors. Which sounds not as nice, but the black is what I use 99.75% of the time, so thats not as dissappointing as it might sound.

So TAC more stamps and more paper collections, SU more $, more cardstock and more ink colors and more hardware (wheel, stampin scrubber, etc)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandaallison12345View Post
Well, my vote is with TAC! I love the stamps, but love the demo pack even more. The low low minimums, the monthly contests, the "angels only" section of the website has some great advice and product reviews, plus they have a signing bonus of 2 free hostess sets (the level C and D sets) for signing before August 31. Great deals- lots of fun- I love it!

That being said- the products are quite a bit different. Besides the obvious difference of the stamps themselves, almost all TAC cardstock has a white core- SU is colored throughout.

Unlike SU, TAC has no signature brands really- which leads to more transparency of product perhaps, but doesn't give the overall arch of color matching that SU has. For instance, although the markers may be the same for both companies, TAC clearly marks the brand while SU gives you the matching colors. This allows TAC to give more variety of colors (while also allowing you to scope out a better deal at your local craft store!), but doesn't allow them to offer a stamp pad, marker, ribbon, cardstock, brad, and paper flower all in an identical color. If color matching is your thing, you might lean towards SU.

SU has a better punch selection (I know that is terribly disloyal, but there you have it) TAC has great clever lever punches- they work as well as the SU- and I really think the clever lever design is the best overall for punches, but SU has a better selection and more "nesting" shapes.

TAC does not sell stamping wheels. SU does- they also have the individual ink cartridges with a variety of their colors to use in the stampin wheels.

So now some $ comparisons- SU minimums are $1200 a year (or $300 a quarter) and TAC are $300 a year (or $100 every four months)

Accessories in both catalogs are comparable- a little higher here, a little lower there. Cardstock a bit cheaper for SU, embellishments like brads and such often cheaper for TAC. But for stamps- forget about it! Sample sets- SU Wild About You (set of 8 ) 23.95, TAC Wild For You (set of 11!) 19.95. These sets are pretty close- both have a lion, giraffe, penguin, bird, wild for/about you script, flower and elephant in pretty much the same style. Then SU gives you an alligator and TAC gives you a zebra, butterfly, ostrich and another text "you bring out the animal in me". Both sets have stamps of about the same size. At 19.95 this set is pretty much the most expensive you'll find in the TAC catalog- SU has sets well into the 30's. Another comparison is the TAC set Camping (set of 12) for 19.95 and the SU set Happy Camper (set of 10) for 31.95. Again- mostly the same style, with many of the same stamp scenes, both have a bear, 2 trees, a sleeping bag, a boot, a log fire, SU has a camper- TAC has a tent, and then SU adds a cat-tail, a smoke swirl, a lantern, and a bucket of something- TAC has some stars, buzzing bees, a swiss army knife, a fishing poll, and the block script "camping". The look on these is not as close as the previous example, but they're pretty darn close.

Then there is the angel policy- SU has a pretty strict angel policy, TAC has a very lenient one. This will probably only make a real difference to you, however, if you actually plan to sell cards. If you just like to do the demos and mail things out to your friends and family- the angel policy doesn't really matter. If you want to sell cards at boutiques or other stores, or if you want to do a lot of mixed media where you'll be stamping on glass or clay- then you're going to get into a lot of bother over the SU angel policy.

Besides that the general "feel" of the companies is also a bit different. TAC sells stamps- they focus on the stamps- that's really it. I mean they do have a line of specialty papers (which I love incidently), but the rest of the stuff in the catalog you can often find in your local craft store. It is added to the catalog as a convienence to you and there is a lot of color matching tips and hard to find supplies, but they focus on selling really great inexpensive but high quality stamps.

SU sells a "package". They have a signature color line that is easily identifiable to anyone who's stamped for more than a week. Everything is specifically choosen to coordinate with everything else. Their stamps are just as high quality as TAC, but their focus seems to be not just on the stamps, but also on the mixability of their other products.

And after alllllll that- the two single most important things before you decide will be 1) your personal preference for the basic styles of stamps and 2) your choice of upline! Try and meet or talk to your upline before you make any big decisions- they can really make or break your start up. A good upline will help you out and give advice, technique know-how, tips, and be in communication. A bad one will just let you drift on your own- which can be very discouraging. As you are a "stamping virgin" as you phrased it your upline will be even more important- you'll want someone who is really willing to invest some time with you to make sure you're comfortable with your techniques and products. Good luck! HTH!

The Angel Company use to sell stamping Wheels, But when TAC went to Unmounted only this is when they got rid of the Stamping Wheels. Cause they were considered mounted stamps.

I choose TAC for a couple of Reason, for one I had been selling cards and wnated to find a company that had a Angel Policy. And I Also liked the minimum that TAC had verse the other Stamp companies out there.

I use both wood mounted and unmounted rubber stamps.
But I really enjoy the unmounted Rubber stamps much better.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Do you have to be a demo to sell cards with TAC images?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

No...anyone can sell anything they make! That's what is so great about their angel policy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin RView Post
Do you have to be a demo to sell cards with TAC images?

Thanks

Robin, You do not need to be a demo in order to sell cards.

Anyone using TAC stamps may sell their handstamped items anywhere.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the fast response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #51  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

The TAC kit is $150 plus tax and shipping, which usually brings it up to about 180 all together. The SU set is $199 plus tax and shipping.

Beyond just the flat out price, though, you just get really different things in each kit. Here's from a SU poster...

The TAC kit gives you 7 stamp kits at different prices of your choice, your choice of either Tombow or Impress markers, 5 paper collections (2 designer, 2 wing it and 1 soar with it) of your choice from the front of the catalog, and then the "set" of : acrylic block start kit, black ink pad, white cardstock, and then a set of cardstock and paper elements (read- pop-out embellishments). You also get the current stamp of the month, a set of "booking" stamps that are only avaiable to demos and all your business supplies- which include catalogs, postcards, order forms, a training DVD (which you might find very useful ;) ) and then they also have the special now through AUg 31 of the additional 2 sets.

So if you look you see that the kits are pretty different- If you got the SU kit you could pretty much start having parties the next day- The TAC kit would require a bit more by way of supplies... mainly cardstock. The paper is beautiful and you can always layer that onto white cardstock, but most people like to start from a colored cardstock base, and that you would have to buy in addition to the kit. You also just get the black inkpad- no colors. Which sounds not as nice, but the black is what I use 99.75% of the time, so thats not as dissappointing as it might sound.

So TAC more stamps and more paper collections, SU more $, more cardstock and more ink colors and more hardware (wheel, stampin scrubber, etc)
I think this is a great point. The SU kit is really put together for someone to go out and start a business. Oddly- TAC is put together more for someone who wants a sampler of their products- GREAT for hobbyists like myself. But it doesn't even have an adhesive in it!! What were they thinking? You couldn't hold any sort of workshop without that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I think this is a great point. The SU kit is really put together for someone to go out and start a business. Oddly- TAC is put together more for someone who wants a sampler of their products- GREAT for hobbyists like myself. But it doesn't even have an adhesive in it!! What were they thinking? You couldn't hold any sort of workshop without that
I think that the key words in you post were a "sampler of THEIR products". I think that TAC tried to keep the cost as low as possible with the kit to make it more affordable- and to do that they porpusfully designed the kit to give you what you can only get from TAC- their stamps, their special paper collections etc.

I actual like that they DON'T add in the "regular" stuff. Most people who sign have been stamping for a while, or at least long enough to have a small stash of glues and cardstocks- it's almost like TAC gives me permission to use my own things as well as their signature products. It's one of the reasons I love it so much- why spend oodles of money on a signature labeled tombow snail style adhesive, when I can buy the exact same thing for less cost originally and no shipping charge. I feel comfortable selling the TAC stamps and paper collection- I love them and I honestly believe other people will love them as well. I do not want to try and sell them special logo items that are exactly what you'd find in your local craft store or even wal-mart for premium prices with extra shipping fees. No fun! It's what I keep mentioning about the transparency of the TAC products. I think a lot of people end up buying from a company because they aren't sure that the quality will be the same and they don't want to be disappointed if they switch to what in fact may turn out to be the "parent" brand. TAC doesn't pretend to use anything other than what they use- palette ink is labeled palette ink- tombow marker is labeled tombow marker- aquacolor crayon... you get the idea I really appreciate that- I know that wherever I go, the tombow snail will be the same high quality as... the other tombow snail!

So I think that the starter pack reflects my general idea- that TAC sells stamps and signature paper collections, and the rest is really just there for convienence factor. It also means that if you do have to run out and buy glue, you're buying from the same market as your customers- it's always nice to know what everyone else has! That's how you know what you have to offer that they won't get in town!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #53  
Crimping Master

Thats good to know. I want to get stuff in my starket kit that I CANT pick up at my local Michaels or JoAnns. I want more stamps and tools. I can get the regular stuff at M's or JoAnns and use a coupon ;)

I cant wait to see both catalogs but right now, TAC is looking pretty good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=amandaallison12345;6751176]The TAC kit is $150 plus tax and shipping, which usually brings it up to about 180 all together. The SU set is $199 plus tax and shipping.

Just want to let you know, there is not extra shipping charge for the SU starter kit. You pay $199 plus tax. No shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=Ellibelle;6754511]
Quote:

Just want to let you know, there is not extra shipping charge for the SU starter kit. You pay $199 plus tax. No shipping.
Thats not a big difference, its the minimums that may be the deal breaker.
$1200 vs. $300.

Once I see the products, it will all boil down to which I like the best.

I cant wait for my cattys ;)
I'll be by the door everyday waiting for my mail lady.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie 50View Post
Im a newbie to this stamping addiction. SCS is really BAD for me!

I haven't seen a TAC catty nor a SU catty.

All I have are a few wood rubber stamps, a few clear stamps and Bellas (of course).

I am on the fence about becoming a hobby demo for either TAC or SU.
I like rubber stamps like the bellas that I just stick to a acrylic block with my double sided tape and I am ready to go. After browsing the SU on line catalog, Im confused :confused: (keep in mind, Im a stamping virgin).

With SU stamps do I have to cut them, stick them on something and then mount them on a wood block? How about TAC stamps?

Which company is better and why?

Thanks
Hi Barbie,
I'm a long time SU customer on the verge of becoming a TAC demo. I will always be a SU customer, but here are the factors in my decision to go with TAC.

1) The angel policy. I like that I can sell cards with TAC images at a craft mall, consignment shop, internet--whatever I choose. SU's angel policy is extremely restrictive--only temporary locations, like craft shows. Craft shows are fun, I did them for lots of years. But I don't want to stamp all year with the chance to sell my items over the course of a couple of days.

2) Price. I saw a SU set in the new mini catalog that I would love to have that is over $30! I know they haven't increased their prices in a long time, but it seems really expensive. I know a lot of people compare the SU set prices with the cost of individual sets at LSS. But shouldn't theirs cost a lot less considering that they don't have all of the expenses associated with a brick and mortar store and employees? SU demos only earn 20% and the customer pays shipping and handlig.

3) Storage. After years of being a SU customer, storage space is becoming an issue. The ease of unmounted storage is very appealing to me.

4) Competition. There are LOTS of SU demos in my area. When I called TAC to find a demo, the closest one lived over 30 min. from me.

5) Minimum requirements. SU--$300 per quarter. TAC--$100 every 4 months.
I have 4 kids, so there are certain times of the year that I wouldn't be able to put in as much time in my business.

All that being said, here are the sticky points for me:

Color Coordination. I love SU's matching cardstocks, inks and markers.

Cool Factor. I'll admit it--it's cooler to be a SU demo. But now that I've turned 41, I'm pretty much over the whole "cool" thing. Besides that, I see TAC as a growing company that is working to get better all the time.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I'm sure you'll love it either way. Please let us know which way you end up going!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Barbie-
Like the other ladies, it comes down to personal preference but also the minimums, etc.
I am a hobby demo, newly signed up for TAC. I fought with the decision between TAC and SU but there are tons of SU demos around here and if I decide to do more than hobby, it would be hard. Plus, TAC is more reasonably priced for comparable stamps (meaning, images, quality not type of mount obviously .
That being said, my SIL is a SU demo. I am still and will be an avid customer for some things- paper, ink, and of course, sets I like that there are not similar ones with TAC. Just like if I see something I like from stampinbella or stampendous or whoever... I buy what I like. As some people call it, equal opportunity stamper.
However, for my personal preference and to help better meet the needs of my group, TAC is much lower priced and has great quality and style of stamps. I do hope they move toward a similar matching ink/cardstock program like SU. Even then, I love some of of SU's stuff still!

Good Luck- I know what it is like to wait at the door for the catty!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #58  
Forum Fanatic

When I signed up with SU, I didn't even know about TAC, or I might have signed up with them first. With SU, it is almost like the best time to sign up is right when you begin stamping (like I did, at the first event I hostessed) - I have had a lot of long time SU user customers say they wished they had signed up earlier because they already have the scissors, scrubber, mist, chalks, etc. and don't want to have to pay for it all over again in the starter kit. SU had a mini starter kit temporarily, I think it was $99 but it looked like it was all forms; none of my customers were interested.

If TAC's starter kit is missing a lot of tools it might have more of an allure to long standing stampers, who have the tools already but love the opportunity to join a great company and get stamps at a discount, at least for themselves, and with lower minimums to maintain, it is easier to be a hobby demo.

I love stamps from both companies, but I do LOVE SU's color coordination. Saves SO much guesswork and makes the cards so much prettier IMO. If you go with TAC you may wish to find a SU demo who likes TAC anyway and see if you can work out an arrangement where you swap TAC stamps (which you get for a discount) for SU paper/ink (which she gets for a discount).

Have fun with your decision!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #59  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomof4View Post
Hi Barbie,

Cool Factor. I'll admit it--it's cooler to be a SU demo. But now that I've turned 41, I'm pretty much over the whole "cool" thing. Besides that, I see TAC as a growing company that is working to get better all the time.

Lisa
I think it's pretty darn cool to be a TAC demo! I've actually considered making a halo and wings. Think it'd fly at funshops? :rolleyes:
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #60  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just enjoying the SU vs TAC discussion.. I am neither.. but the cool factor of being an SU demo never ever entered my mind!!! Here on the West Coast in Canada, many have never even heard of SU!!! - or TAC!!! Metro There is no cool factor!!! I've been stamping for about? 8 years and hadn't heard of SU til about 3 years ago when I visited a cousin on the prairies in Canada. I see SU as a company for those that live in outlying areas and can't / don't use ebay,don't have access to LSS , classes at independent outlets etc. As for SU colouring matching system...well, the paper is so flat!!! Surely people can do there own colouring matching in the stores??
I like texture and therefore I use Bazzil. I find the fact that one must purchase an entire set of SU stamps to be very expensive and not my style...

I'd prefer to purchase what I like, from where I like.

I feel with SU , you really pay a lot...much more than a LSS or on ebay.. TAC doesn't exist to my knowledge here in Vancouver. I think it would be nice.

I do like SU whisper white paper... works really well for gamsol and primsa work, as well as being sturdy enough for watercolouring ( just minimal though).

SU or TAC cool????

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 02:58 AM   #61  
Glitter Guru

Deborah, we are hoping that TAC will soon make the move into Canada. Right now we're just in the US. We'll keep you posted!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #62  
Mad Swapper

I have almost every Palette ink color and I never have a problem with "matching". I love Palettes and refuse to buy any more SU inkpads. Just my preference. My SU inks just sit there. I am not a thought out stamper - meaning I pick a stamp, pick a paper and see where it leads me. What I love about Palettes is no matter which color I pick, I can do any water coloring or gamsol technique and my ink won't run/smear. I also love Stickles and using Masking Fluid, but quickly learned that I can't use my SU inks with them, the ink runs at the first hint of moisture. :(

I haven't tried TAC's cardstock yet, but I need too. I am an SU paper junkie as I love the colors and weight. But my Palettes work great with them.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #63  
Crimping Master

Thumbs up IT'S HERE!!

It got here today!!! I got my very first SU catty. :p :mrgreen:

I couldn't believe it. She said she had sent it on Saturday, and it got here today!!!

Now thats service!

I'm off to play.

I wonder if my TAC catty will be here tomorrow?
Im closer to finding out which it will be, SU or TAC?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 AM   #64  
Crimping Master

The cool factor. That's interesting. I never thought about that, but when I tell people about TAC and tell them it's based in Salina, KS, everyone around here thinks that's pretty cool! I'm only 1 hour away from Salina!!! ;-) They're also interested in hearing more because everyone has heard about SU, CM and such, but not about TAC.

Also going to add...the August special for demos adds almost $60 to the Starter Kit. So...instead of getting $308 worth of product for $150 you're getting $368 for $150! ;-)

Enjoy your decision making!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I'm just enjoying the SU vs TAC discussion.. I am neither.. but the cool factor of being an SU demo never ever entered my mind!!! Here on the West Coast in Canada, many have never even heard of SU!!! - or TAC!!! Metro There is no cool factor!!! I've been stamping for about? 8 years and hadn't heard of SU til about 3 years ago when I visited a cousin on the prairies in Canada. I see SU as a company for those that live in outlying areas and can't / don't use ebay,don't have access to LSS , classes at independent outlets etc. As for SU colouring matching system...well, the paper is so flat!!! Surely people can do there own colouring matching in the stores??
I like texture and therefore I use Bazzil. I find the fact that one must purchase an entire set of SU stamps to be very expensive and not my style...

I'd prefer to purchase what I like, from where I like.

I feel with SU , you really pay a lot...much more than a LSS or on ebay.. TAC doesn't exist to my knowledge here in Vancouver. I think it would be nice.

I do like SU whisper white paper... works really well for gamsol and primsa work, as well as being sturdy enough for watercolouring ( just minimal though).

SU or TAC cool????

That might be one good reason that some people love SU and TAC, but I live just outside of Indianapolis. We have lots of LSS. I don't know if it's because of having 4 kids, but I generally dislike going out to shop. It takes me a looong time to make my selections, so having a catalog that I can pull out any time I want to is very useful for me.

For me, I think it has a lot to do with the whole workshop experience. I enjoy stamping with other women. Learning new tips and techniques, getting compliments (my husband isn't too interested in my stamping) and honest critiques is great. I'm an equal opportunity stamper, but I generally like to stick a couple of product lines.

And maybe using the word "cool", was going a little too far. But it feels that way in our tiny, little SCS corner of the world.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:03 AM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was actually considering switching to TAC once I drop from SU, what really gives me to think though is how would I hold a TAC workshop or classes. What I found in the catalog, you can't buy larger packs of same CS, they only come assorted (Bazzill) and the ones you can buy as single color are too thin (IMO) for a card base. I would have a hard time getting card projects ready for classes or workshops.
Also, the shipping price is another thing. I have a hard time spending 6.95 for shipping on a 30.00 order. I know it is only $3.00 more than SU's shipping price, but it does keep me from ordering right now and I am affraid if I were a demo, potential costumers might feel the same.
But if you can combine multiple orders I guess it would not be as bad in that case, as I believe it would still be just 10% on orders of 69.95.
Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

The shipping did go up a bit...but unless you are just getting a few things, the way postage rates have shot up lately, it seems pretty reasonable. But I must admit I was a bit worried about it at first.

On the other hand, our stamps and other accessories have stayed the same price wise so many of our stamps are in the $10.95-$15.95 range -- and that's for a set of stamps. Still a good deal, over all...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #68  
Mad Swapper

Wow, I'm really enjoying this discussion. I recently received a TAC catalog and all I can say is Wow! I have been on the fence as to whether or not I wanted to be a demo, since I love stamping/papercrafting and I buy so much stuff anyway. I shyed away from being an SU demo, though, because a) all of my friends that stamp use the same demo, and I wouldn't want to draw business away from her, b) the minimums are so high, c) I'd have to use SU products exclusively, and I like to mix and match, and possibly the biggest factor, d)I have gone completely unmounted and I don't think I could demo SU stamps that are unmounted.

But now that I see the TAC catalog, and seeing how awesome the sets are, they're MUCH cheaper in both product and minimums, and I can use many of the products I currently use without having to buy the exclusive labeling. I love that many of the products in the TAC catalog are items that can be picked up at my LSS. Of course, if I demo, I'll buy from TAC to support my business. But hey.. I'm all for a deal and using coupons! That way I can put my focus mainly on the stamps and paper. Oh and did I mention I've gone completely unmounted? I love that I wouldn't have to pay for all that wood I'm just getting rid of anyway. I have to say I just might sign up with TAC this month.

Don't get me wrong... SU is what flamed my passion for stamping. I always have and always will LOVE their products and will continue using and buying from them. But for convenience and financial reasons and as far as being a Demo goes, for me TAC seems to be the route to take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

wow...i can't believe how many TAC fans there are!! i can't say i've ever used TAC, but i could never EVER live without stampin up!!!! $100 a month is not a hard minimum to make at all. you could do that between yourself and 2 customers, if all you bought was one set, one ink and one paper every month. I *heard* that TAC paper is white through the inside, which SU is not. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors stampin up has, and I love their "in color" idea every year. they have everything you need to make cards or scrapbooks. they have designer series paper that matches lots of the stamp sets. (not sure if TAC does)

search the gallery for "SUO" and you will find cards made with JUST SU products. do a search for maybe TAC and you can find things made with TAC stamps. that should help you decide! HTH!

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

the ones you can buy as single color are too thin (IMO) for a card base.
You have to make sure that when you pick out cardstock from TAC that you are getting the 80#. Most of the choices ARE 80#, but some are 65#. All SU cardstock is also 80#. The 65#, you're right, is not intended for a card base. It's used mainly for layering multiple colors and for use in scrapbooking. Often the 80# when layered 4 or 5 deep gets really clunky and heavy, so TAC offers the thinner paper to keep the cards light and to keep your scrapbook layouts thinner and flatter. I buy both weights, but when you get one by accident it can be a big surprise! I had almost convinced myself they only sent me the top half of the sheet and I was thinking to myself "what the heck!" My friend is a scrapbooking purist and she only ever uses papers and 65# cardstock on her books- she could explain (in great detail I might add) the reasons you want flatter scrapbooks- the main reason being if your layout if too thick or bumpy it can make impressions (dents) on the pictures on the opposite page when the scrapbook is closed. I personally like lots of brads and tags and what nots on my pages, but that's why TAC is great something for everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #71  
Matboard Maniac

I have so much love for SU! It was the first stamp company I got introduced to. But on Friday I placed an order with TAC. I'm also weighing the options on which stamp company I want to be a hobby demo for. (FYI there is also Close To My Heart)

And color me suprised when my TAC order arrived in the mail THIS MORNING. I love SU! to death but I think if I ever saw a order that fast from them I would die of shock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I was actually considering switching to TAC once I drop from SU, what really gives me to think though is how would I hold a TAC workshop or classes. What I found in the catalog, you can't buy larger packs of same CS, they only come assorted (Bazzill) and the ones you can buy as single color are too thin (IMO) for a card base. I would have a hard time getting card projects ready for classes or workshops.
Also, the shipping price is another thing. I have a hard time spending 6.95 for shipping on a 30.00 order. I know it is only $3.00 more than SU's shipping price, but it does keep me from ordering right now and I am affraid if I were a demo, potential costumers might feel the same.
But if you can combine multiple orders I guess it would not be as bad in that case, as I believe it would still be just 10% on orders of 69.95.

Good luck with your decision.

The $6.95 minimum is per order that is submitted to TAC - not per customer. So for workshops I only charge each customer 10% of the order for shipping. If customers are giving me small orders I will still only charge the 10% and then combine them together for a single order submitted to TAC. Hope that helps explaing the shipping charges better.

rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp2stamp2View Post
The $6.95 minimum is per order that is submitted to TAC - not per customer. So for workshops I only charge each customer 10% of the order for shipping. If customers are giving me small orders I will still only charge the 10% and then combine them together for a single order submitted to TAC. Hope that helps explaing the shipping charges better.

rita
Wow, right when I was on the brink of thinking that TAC was almost perfect for me, there was a bump in the road! Thanks for giving us this information, Rita!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #74  
Crimping Master

Here's a question that doesnt belong here, but since you have all been so helpful...;)

All those wonderful images in the gallery that look perfect, are those scanned images?

I finally did my very first card (excited). I did a rush job and its not even in focus. I posted to the gallery anyways, too excited not to post (hope I did it right, NEWBIES!!!!!)

I hope they get better with time and easier....it took me 2 days!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #75  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For me, I think it has a lot to do with the whole workshop experience. I enjoy stamping with other women. Learning new tips and techniques, getting compliments (my husband isn't too interested in my stamping) and honest critiques is great. I'm an equal opportunity stamper, but I generally like to stick a couple of product lines.

Yes, I too enjoy getting together to stamp with others, but I find SU is not needed for that... I have a couple of friends I get together with each week, and we stamp together...also, around me are several stamping stores that offer high quality classes - none of them SU.. I also participated in a once a month stamping class/ club last year - about 10 ladies ... and again, it was not SU based.. But I do understand what you are saying. I really like to shop around for my stuff - particularily on ebay - so I never have to leave the house for that.

But - I can see the many attractions of SU to people as well. Everything in one catty, paper, adhesives etc etc - but the for the adhesives and such prices are a killer in SU. And - there are soo soo many more shades of bazzil paper in LSS!

I do have all of their markers, but I see SU as just one more company. I like stampendous, Penny Black, House Mouse, Inky Antics, Hero Arts, MFT, really any company that makes a stamp I like!!

I'll look very foward to seeing TAC come to Canada! Keep me posted!

I do know a couple of Su demo's - and they are very pleasant people.

I guess I just like a lot of variety and good prices!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Here's a question that doesnt belong here, but since you have all been so helpful...;)

All those wonderful images in the gallery that look perfect, are those scanned images?

I finally did my very first card (excited). I did a rush job and its not even in focus. I posted to the gallery anyways, too excited not to post (hope I did it right, NEWBIES!!!!!)

I know some have a light box to take pictures of their cards. For the ones in my gallery I just placed them in my office on a flat surface and took pictures of them. But there is A LOT of light in here (8 florescent bulbs in a office that fits 2 desks) so I'm sure that makes a difference.

I've scanned stamped images as well (my index card for Seasonal Whimsy) and that turned out fine as well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #77  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Some of the images in the gallery are scanned, and some are photographed. A lot of the ladies who are on design teams have perfected photographing cards. It provides a lot more depth than scanning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #78  
Proud Fan Club Member

All my Cards are taken with a Camera. I have a couple of good lights in my stamping area, that I use.

I also have a White Background to filter out what I don't want in it.

When I download my photo's into my computer. I have a couple of Photo's software programs I use.

One let's me Crop by photo's and the other one let's Brighten it up or down.

And Let's me put Text, Watermarks, any many more things.

If you want to check out my gallery sometime.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #79  
Crimping Master

My gallery isn't very big because either i don't have time or I forget...but I take photos, don't scan them. If they're too crooked, I adjust that by degrees in Elements.

For the paper weight--make sure you use 80# for the card base, then it will be heavy enough. The majority of our CS *is* 80# so you should be able to be okay on that.

As far as not buying in bulk....here's what I do...sometimes I have everything the same color if it's something I *can* buy in bulk. If not, I offer the gals in the class a few different shades that work with the project we're doing. They LOVE having options and often choose colors I wouldn't have chosen because they may not be the one *I* like the best. It also helps me get rid of the colors in the Bazzill packs that I personally tend not to use as much.

HTH! :-)
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #80  
Crimping Master

Default IT'S HERE!!!

My TAC catty is here!!!!

WOW, now Im really confused :confused:

I'm taking it with me to work today. So many great things.

Very similar, yet different to SU.

How about those SU wheels? I think I love those but I've read a few posts where people are removing them from the wheel. Are they not practical while mounted?
Reply With Quote Likes