Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is such a bad hobby for people like me ...

I am an all-or-nothing kind of person. I swore I would never get into stamping (although I have been scrapbooking for 6 years) because I would feel I have to "have it all." I only started stamping last summer, but today I am so sad that I didn't already buy the St. Pat's stamps (could have made some cute things to give the kids this morning!). I feel like I missed out on a good opportunity and it's driving me nuts!

I know a lot of people get obsessed about their hobbies. I know a lot of you own a lot of stuff. But I feel totally compelled to buy as much as I can as quickly as I can. I am literally stressing about the new catalogue coming out this summer because I am worried there are sets that I haven't bought yet that will be retiring and then I'll feel I need to BUY THEM ALL!!!!!! Just in case, ya know???

I can still keep it in perspective -- I haven't completely lost it, though. And to my credit, I DO use everything I have bought. (I know a lady who has ten times what I have already and it all sits in her room, untouched. She's generous and lends it all to anyone who asks, but that's a huge investment for someone to just go giving it all away, isn't it?)

Anyone else feel like this? I'm not surprised at myself because this is just how I am. I'm not irresponsible with my money -- I won't spend money we don't have. (Not too often, anyway! LOL!Just kidding!!!!!)

Do you ever get to the point where you've got enough and you can look at the catalogue and say, "I'll pass on that." Because every time I open that book (or worse, look at the forum here), I am filling out another order form!!

Do I need an intervention?? :lol:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I know what you mean because for the last year I have felt the same way while maintaining fiscal responsibility. I have passed on one or two sets along the way. I didn't get lovely as a tree this month even though it was half off, and so far I am still surviving . . . I did get shapes and shadows and seaside sketches.

I just had a customer who is my CM dealer and she said she wanted to get off on the right foot so she had a first time order that rivaled my stamping collection after I had been doing it for about a year, but she knows she can do so much with what she has where I was limited in the beginning.

I say go for it, as long as you don't end up in the poor house, for me it is my creative outlet and I became a hobby demo to help. I also work part time so I don't feel bad about the money I spend . . . . hubby is supportive anyways, it just helps me feel better about it.

Kinda long, hope that helps
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Prairie Stamper: You make me laugh! The only thing good about this new obsession of mine (yep, I'm new too) is that unlike anything else I've undertaken, I didn't have to (get to?) buy the "appropriate" clothes to go with it. So think of the money we save!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

hey - if you are using it all, there is absolutely nothing to feel bad about. i think it's great!
Marni - SCS #14788 and SU Demo
My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. Thornton Wilder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

There does come a point when you CAN actually "pass" on some sets/accessories...I too, am one of those people who wants it all, needs it all and hoards it all...I finally have been able to start USING my paper and such...in my scrapbooks and on cards because what good is it just sitting on the rack? But it's so pretty...love to hoard the paper :oops:

I love Jolee's Boutique stickers (have a ton) and I finally sorted them and actually use them. (This is huge for me...you are talking to a person that has stickers from the 70's, still on their backing, tucked neatly in the plastic sticker holders, where they have remained sice I got them as a kid!)

So, eventually, you will get to a point where you can see potential in a stamp set, but then look at your collection and say, hummm I caould do that with this instead of buying out the entire catalogue.

That being said, if you see something on the retiring list that you absolutely love, get it. You'll use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I pm'd you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I justify my "just have to have it" purchases by reminding myself that I use this hobby to give to others. I give away 95 percent of what I stamp to others to brighten their days. It's a win-win situation: I get to buy lots of goodies to play and they get a card or gift to brighten their day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

PrarieStamper, You are probably one of your demo's favorite customers. It would be to your advantage, though, to sign up as a demo (if you're not already) for the discount and the opportunity to earn things for FREE!

I am a collector. I like to have "all or nothing" as you put it. It drove me crazy when my husband bought Spy Kids 3 (because he wanted to see it) and we didn't have 1 or 2. My first urge was to go out and get the others. I can sympathize with you.

I've been a demo for almost three years and I'm to the point where I have a great collection of stamps built up and get to enjoy buying more accessories now. The March sale isn't killing me, either. I have three of the six sets, and the three I don't have aren't of interest to me and I can't imagine why I'd *NEED* them at any point in the future. I have plenty that will work just as well as they do, so I'm OK. What I'm trying to say is that this need to have it all immediately will die down. My collection of stamps has everything in it that I think I'll used and I make it a point to use what I have. I hate to "waste" money and space by getting sets I won't use.

Don't worry, you'll get over it! Just enjoy what you have and don't feel bad you didn't make your kids St. Patty's day cards. There is always next year, or if you have a minute or two before they come home from school, you can stamp them a green card using hearts. Here's one I did that would work great for this holiday:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

There does come a time when you can (or have to) pass on a really neat stamp set. I try to limit myself to those I just HAVE to have. The ones I get really excited about. Think of it as a challenge to do more with what you have. For example a heart stamp can make a four leaf clover if you stamp it four times together and add a stem. See you can make cute St. Pats cards with the set you bought for wedding cards! It also helps that I can spend $ 15-20 and get embellishments or accessories if I pass on that set that is cute, but not really unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #10  
KLF
Kookie Creator

Have you priced a really nice greeting card lately? I was feeling guilty a few years ago after I had sent nothing but hand-stamped cards for about 4 years. Then I went in to a store to buy a wedding card for a relative of my husband's that I had never even met. Was I shocked to see the price of a nice but fairly modest Hallmark card! I now feel that my hobby is saving me so much money on greeting cards, gift bags, etc. that I can afford to indulge myself (reasonably).

At least, that's the excuse I give my husband when I head off on another buying spree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default Bad hobby or just need invigorating rush?

Maybe stamping is like a mini creative rush and sometimes buying is a mini rush too.You had a small goal to learn to stamp. So, you bought alot of stamps.Rush!! So, think about it- If you have a collection of stamp sets that you can use for lots of things you have achieved your goal and at some point you do not need it all. It is invigorating at some point to create with what you've collected. So, stop and take a good look at your stash- You have good taste after all, you picked out the great stuff! Show what you can do with all your pretty colors,paper and stamps. Once in a while a real different must have set will come along! What a fun creative rush then!You do not need everthing!Do you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Stamping as a hobby -at some point you will have enough basic stuff- that is, if it is a hobby! Happiness and stamping is not about owning all the latest stuff. Remember:You have good taste- You picked out the great basic stuff- use it. RE-Supply. A little fun creativity is a happy thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Default St. Patty's alternatives

I've been stamping for a couple of years, and I remember feeling just like you. As soon as I was introduced to SU, I fell in love, and wanted so much, that I signed up as soon as I could! At least that way I could write off my expenses! Now I feel like my collectiion has grown to a point where I don't "need" all the sets I really just want.

So, the answer to your question is, No, you don't need an intervention. I'd say as long as your hobby is not getting in the way of your daily life or causing any negative energy (ie. a mad husband or too much stuff for your space), then your okay!

Don't feel bad about missing out on your St. Patty's Day card. Take Lizziestamps' advice and make a St. Patty's Day Card using tthe color green and hearts. Here's one I made with the old Ronald McDonald House set, Heart & Home, just in case you have that one!

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

PrairieStamper wrote:
Quote:

And to my credit, I DO use everything I have bought. (I know a lady who has ten times what I have already and it all sits in her room, untouched. She's generous and lends it all to anyone who asks, but that's a huge investment for someone to just go giving it all away, isn't it?)
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I had to take a good look at your name to see if I might possibly know you. My husband keeps asking why I have to buy so much new stuff when I don't use the stuff I have. I WILL use it one day - soon, I hope! It's just that between taking care of a sick baby, trying to keep the house clean and my family fed, and catching up on the great ideas on SCS....well, there's not much time left to stamp. But I still fell like I HAVE to get everything, because I am also an all-or-nothing person. And I plan to one day have time to stamp to my hearts' content. There are times when it seems to be an obsession to get more and more stuff
:mrgreen: but I'm working on controlling that!

So, if you DO need an intervention, then so do most of us. Hey, maybe we could all get together for one big intervention and call it, oh, I don't know... a "Stamp Party!" Oh, and bring the catalogue and your mastercard cuz you'll surely discover some stuff that you NEED. :lol:

(Do you get the idea that I really don't want help for my problem?) :oops:

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 04:02 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Default Stamper's 12 step program

I had to laugh when I read this because this is SO[u] me!! I will say, though, that in the approx 8 years that I've been stamping now, I've gotten much better. I'm continually trying to clean out the stuff that I just had to have when I was first getting started, but now look at and wonder what I was thinking. The nice thing about SU is at least you'll have stuff that goes together - I don't know how many single image stamps I bought without thinking about how they'd work with what I already had.

By the way, this post also made me think of this:

STAMPER'S 12 STEP PROGRAM:
1. I confess that my love for stamps is out of control--I need help.
2. Irealize that stamps rule my life and threaten my household budget.
3. I resolve to find out if there is life outside of stamps.
4. I promise to make an honest inventory of all my stamps and supplies.
5. I will tell my family the "real" cost of my addiction.
6. I stand ready to give away some of my stamps to healthy stampers.
7. I promise not to lure any more friends into the dangers of stamping.
8. I will not spend all my time online searching card samples or chatting with fellow stampers.
9. I will apologize to friends and family who have slept in the basement because the guest room is full of stamps.
10. I will buy all my greeting cards at a store.
11. I will read inspirational material about others who have remained un-inked.
12. I will celebrate my new recovery with copies of the latest stamping magazines--maybe an ink pad, some paper, a punch, fibers, eyelets, embossing powder....
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes