Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU! and unmounted stamps

Does anyone think SU! might offer unmounted (rubber), as well as, the wood mounted in this catalog? Just curious to hear opinions on whether this might be a possibility. I'm thinking that since CTMH has their acrylix and a lot of people are going to unmounted for space reasons that there is a possibility. It really wouldn't change anything for them to do that except they would probably need to offer acrylic blocks and a mounting system also, which I'm sure they would. So what do you think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 08:04 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I don't think they will...I have no idea though...I personally think that they will stay with only with wood because of the nice crisp image the wood/rubber combo gives. I have heard sooooo many complaints about the "mooshieness" of the other stamps. I also think that the wood stamps are going to maintain the value longer and also age better, due to wear and tear of peeling and sticking the unmounted all the time....JMO

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have wondered for a long time why they have not done this. I have heard that wood mounts make a much bigger profit, but I would think they would make up for that by bringing all the UM people on board. I have several friends who, now and then, buy SU and do not mount them. They do this rarely though, because of the expense is so much more. I love UM's for the storage capacity. I would be beyond delighted if they made this move. Just think how much cheaper they would be to ship and I would bet they would move through the mail much faster too! Crossed fingers that they do this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I have some non-SU! stamps that are unmounted. I hate them! I would much rather have rubber permanently mounted on a wood block with a sticker on it than fiddle with the unmounteds any day. While I understand the space saving concept, I make space for the things I like;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 03:32 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really hope they don't do this. I have some unmounted's and acrylics and the image is not as crisp. Some you can't use Stazon of Versamark. Please don't change a thing.

lynette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

What I meant is do you think they will offer the option of buying stamps as they are now and also buying just the rubber (unmounted)? I don't mean acrylic (clear), just a not mounted option for those that are converting to unmounted. Some companies sell the rubber image (unmounted) and then a mounted version. The mounted does cost more because of the wood and label and the unmounted which is just the rubber (sometimes with a cushion and sometimes without - depends on the company) costs less. Personally, I think if they did this it would be a good move on the company's part because they would be meeting the demand of those converting to unmounted, but still giving those that want wood-mounted the option of having it that way, too. I don't think that the image would suffer at all since it is still rubber, just gives the person the ability of storing in less space. So, in summary, I'm not talking clear (acrylic) images, but rubber just not mounted (no wood blocks included).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
I have wondered for a long time why they have not done this. I have heard that wood mounts make a much bigger profit, but I would think they would make up for that by bringing all the UM people on board. I have several friends who, now and then, buy SU and do not mount them. They do this rarely though, because of the expense is so much more. I love UM's for the storage capacity. I would be beyond delighted if they made this move. Just think how much cheaper they would be to ship and I would bet they would move through the mail much faster too! Crossed fingers that they do this
I actually just bought some CTMH stamp sets and they cost the same or more than sets SU! sells (but I HAD to have them, lol) and they only came with the rubber image part. No foam, no blocks. So acrylic blocks had to be purchased seperately I found my total bill to be bigger than what I expected. The stamp sets are not any cheaper even though they come without foam or wood. IMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoe
I actually just bought some CTMH stamp sets and they cost the same or more than sets SU! sells (but I HAD to have them, lol) and they only came with the rubber image part. No foam, no blocks. So acrylic blocks had to be purchased seperately I found my total bill to be bigger than what I expected. The stamp sets are not any cheaper even though they come without foam or wood. IMO
I'm not very familiar with CTMH, but I am a demo for The Angel Company. Our unmounted sets are significantly cheaper than the wood mounted ones. You only need to buy the acrylic blocks once, so they pay for themselves with only a couple purchases of unmounted stamps.

I also have to say that I see NO DIFFERENCE in the crispness of the stamped image of mounteds v unmounteds as long as the stamps themselves are rubber.

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE my TAC unmounted ( I have never used CTMH) I can not see any difference in the stamped image, and I use my stamps more because they are all stored on my desk in a CD container and I don't have to move to use them.
I think SU would draw a lot of my friends who love the UM's if they were to switch.
Also, the stamp sets I have through TAC about half the price of my WM's (SU!). I bought an accrylic handle set for only $5.95 and won't NEED to get anymore unless I want to.

Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hope Stampin' Up stays with rubber and wood! I've heard too many people complain about the CTMH stamps. I can't imagine having to mount a stamp everytime I want to use it! I just want to pick up my stamp and go. Also, the wood just feels right in my hand. I just don't think I could make the switch.

Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebra
I'm not very familiar with CTMH, but I am a demo for The Angel Company. Our unmounted sets are significantly cheaper than the wood mounted ones. You only need to buy the acrylic blocks once, so they pay for themselves with only a couple purchases of unmounted stamps.

I also have to say that I see NO DIFFERENCE in the crispness of the stamped image of mounteds v unmounteds as long as the stamps themselves are rubber.

Debra
Well said Debra, I LOVE unmounted rubber stamps that TAC offers! They have improved greatly on their images...I am SO EXCITED TO SEE what they have this next year. When is it coming? I think they come out a little earlier than SU! does?

I am an avid SU! and TAC user and I truely love them both. If I had realized the ease of the static mount system earlier...I would have converted my SU! stamps over...I hope hope hope SU! offers unmounted this year!!! (I don't think they will, but I hope!!!)
Walnut Creek, California
email: [email protected]

Know someone who is buying or selling real estate? Relocating to the Bay Area? Let me know, I LOVE referrals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackay121104
I am SO EXCITED TO SEE what they have this next year. When is it coming? I think they come out a little earlier than SU! does?
The new TAC catty is released at seminar which is June 30-July 2. I can't wait
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:08 AM   #13  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I hope they stay wood mounted!! I have used the acrylic blocks at a friends house, and they seem a bit ackward to use! Just my opinion though.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would just die if SU! went unmounted! That's the main reason I don't buy from some of the other companies. All my stamps fit on a little three-shelf bookcase under the window in the corner of my room, and I just do not have the patience to mount and unmount every time I want to switch to another stamp set or image.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default acrylic stamps

I have used some of the ctmh stamps..they are more expensive because
you have to buy different size blocks for the stamp set..i purchased a set and it needed three different size blocks..so the set by the time I got
done was over 30.00 and now I have used them only a few times..and
they dont stick to the block..so i learned I have to soak them and
let them dry..it;s more work to remount each time you want to change
I am learning to love wood stamps since I am new to this..
I just have to learn to cut them a little better..I also keep hearing alot
of SU people purchasing CTMH ..i think in the long run they will
come back to using wood..there are alot easier and faster when you
just want to sit down and stamp..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm thinking if they offered the option to suit both types of stampers - those that love wood-mounted could buy that way, but also offer unmounted for those that want to use acrylic blocks. And in both cases keep offering rubber images (NOT clear acrylic, but what they have now) either way. This would be wonderful for everyone. Plus they would hit both markets. I'm still on the fence about which I prefer. I have both, but the cost and space savings might sway me to unmounted. It is different and if you started out wood mounted (as I did) then it is a change. I'm just speculating about what might be new in the catalog and I think this is a possiblity. Especially since other direct sales stamp companies offer this option it is possible that SU! might follow suit. I go with the images first and SU! suits my taste best, so it really doesn't matter to me since the design is my first consideration. I'll continue to buy SU! with maybe a few other companies if they offer something I like, but the majority of my stamps are SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love love love my wood mounted sets from SU. I also have a few UM ones from the TAC and I just received my first sets of CTMH arcrylic ones. What can I say!!! I am enjoying them all.

I think the wood mounted ones will stand the test of time better, so if you are planning on keeping and loving your stamps like I am, I very happy that SU has so far decided to stay with the wood mounted system. My concern with the unmounted ones is that taking them on and off the blocks will add more stress to the foam and rubber over time. I'm not sure how the Arcrylix will hold up over time either and I'm not sure if they would stand up to some of the techniques like bleaching and dipping in molten UTEE. I have yet to investigate that aspect of using Acrylix.

Just my 2 cents.
Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I was wondering the same thing recently. I think it could easily be done, since they could just sell the rubber sheets to those interested in getting unmounted stamps, and add some EZ-Mount, static organization sheets and acrylic handles at the end of the catty.
I agree, though, that if they offer the unmounted option, they should keep the regular kits as well (with the wood handles) so that people can select the option they prefer.
I wonder what's SU's take on unmounted.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Question

i don't remember if it was at convention last year or regionals...i think it was convention...shelli said SU would NOT be going to UM or acrylic. why change a good thing? i personally hope we don't switch. (& why would shelli say one thing & do another???)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Default Mounted or Unmounted

I think I remember way back when Stampin up was offered unmounted too. AM I wrong? BY the way I love my TAC stamps. My son cut me some acrylic handles at the shop where he works so there was minimal cost. I use the easy mount system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 05:01 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't know that SU! ever offered UM, but they did have an option of buying either WM or foam mounted. Foam was cheaper, but didn't stamp as well.

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STAMPS

The one reason I went with TAC is because of the choice, WM or U-M, For me I love the unmouted stamps, Cost, Space.
I own wood mounted stamps SU, and others...But find it hard to store them.
When I stamp a image I can not tell the different in whether it was from a un-mounted stamp or a wood mounted stamp.

I started out with Wood mounted stamps long time ago.............
But I really like the Unmounted one much better!

But we all Have our opinon.......Which is what makes the world go round.

Spoiler

Last edited by jeanstamping2; 04-27-2005 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 01:41 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Um or Mounted

I am a demo for TAC and I love UM. I do have a few issues with the CTMH stamps and not sure that I would purchase anymore of those. But TAC rubber is just like SU and is great. I have Unmounted all my SU stamps and find that I use them more now. So far I have 3 large notebooks with all my storage boards in them. I can flip through the boards and get great ideas. The other upside is that my husband only sees a couple of notebooks and not piles of SU boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 01:44 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Smile

Good idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 03:08 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi! Just thought I'd clear up some misconceptions that I saw posted about the CTMH sets. We keep hearing people say you can't do this with them, or you can't do that, but, you can!

First off...to get rid of the squished look, don't press so hard on your stamps. The acrylics do not need the amount of pressure to stamp that the rubber does. That's why things are looking squished.

Yes, they do cost more to get started because of the need to purchase the blocks. You do not have to have every block tho. Just a few general sizes. Did you know that you can mount your stamps on both sides of the blocks so that you don't have to keep unmounting and remounting them when doing projects? You can also mount small ones on the ends of the blocks. As for the blocks feeling different...yes, some companies do...I have a set from another company, and they are rough around the edges and hurt my hands, but, it's a block size that we don't carry. Our blocks have the finger grips and are the same thickness as wood mounts, so feel the same in hand.

As for price, our sets have 4 price points, $10.95, $13.95, $18.95 and $22.95, so many are cheaper than wood mount sets.

You may use Stazon and Versamark on the acrylics. They, of course, will discolor a bit with the Stazon. But, for me anyway, it's not a big deal. Just shows I used my stamps

As for techniques, you can do embossed velvet stamping, so they definitely take the heat. When the stamps were tested before release, they were put in a hot frying pan, through the dishwasher, into the freezer, and many other tests, and they came out just fine. Bleach does not hurt them either. Just wash when finished, like you would with rubber.

As for not being sticky, or losing their stickiness, yes, just wash them with some dish liquid and let the dry naturally. Don't wipe with a towel, as it will leave link. Also, if you have hand lotion on your hands and touch the front or backs of the stamps, it will leave a greasiness that will make it so the stamp won't stick, or the ink won't take. I'm sure it would be the same way with rubber, if you were to handle them the same way.

I hope this helps with any questions. If anybody ever has any CTMH questions, please feel free to drop me a note.

Suz
Sr. Executive Manager
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I LOVE my T.A.C. unmounted stamps. The rubber is the same as my SU stamps except I don't have it attached to the wooden blocks. Once you buy the mounts (an assortment for $15.00 and your pretty much set for life) you no longer need to purchase anything but the lovely stamps. The stamp designs are varied and exciting. I can't wait for the new catalog to come out!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink un-mounted

I also love my stamps un-mounted. I have un-mounted all my SU stamps and of course all my TAC stamps are un-mounted.
In HIm,
SHawna TAC demo # 565

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
I would just die if SU! went unmounted! That's the main reason I don't buy from some of the other companies.
You said it Rachel.... that's exactly how I feel.

I use to belong to a CTMH monthly stamp club. When CTMH switched to acrylics I quit buying the stamps, I just didn't like using them at club. I rather have wood!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I really love stampin up's artwork. They are awsome. But this issue could be a breaking point for me. I plan to stick with my demoship for another year. I LOVE the craft pads and must have EVERY ONE, including the retired ones. When I'm done collecting those, I'll re-evaluate.

My sister is becoming a TAC demo and I may just buy from her and have an occasional stampin up party, because I do love the artwork. But I think it would be NO SWEAT off stampin up's back to add an unmounted option-- not acrylic, but unmounted rubber.

But in the end, I just can't justify spending 75 dollars for a complete alphabet when I can get it other places for 20 (14 if I get it from club stamp...).

I respect those who prefer wood mounts. I do like the look and feel of wood. I love it and wood mounted stamps have a classic beauty and convenience. And I would be disgusted with Stampin Up if they just abandoned wood mounted stamps and forced everyone to go unmounted. It's all about offering choice.

But I can't afford a stamp room or a bigger house. The one shelf I have for stamps is FULL and I don't have room for more. And I can't part with a single set. What's a girl to do? EZ MOUNT.

I sometimes think this issue gets clouded for the people who love wood mounts. They seem to think that if Stampin Up does what so many have called for-- offer the OPTION to buy the rubber unmounted-- that it will lead to the demise of wood mounted stamps and they get nostalgic and sad. But that is just not true. I have customers who say they will NOT go unmounted and they have the room to store the wood. Wonderful. I have others who are on the fence and would like to have more stamps, but feel that the stamps are taking over their house. I think Stampin Up has the capacity to serve both (especially since they just built a HUGE new distribution center).

I'm talking to the wrong people. I should be writing this to stampin up. LOL. I'm far too passionate about this issue. Please don't take this as a slam on Stampin Up. I wouldn't still be a demo if they weren't just totally awsome in so many ways....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 04:33 AM   #30  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Default Un mounted

I think stampysister has hit on something. I don't think we will se unmounted rubber this year BUT maybe next year. This year they have just moved into the new facility etc (still some shipping porblems going on) so there isn't enought company
energy" to go into something as big as a new stamp line just now. BUT I do thik it is coming.........

I also would like to say that I am a SU! demo but I also buy TAC unmounted. I have to buy long distance cause I can't get anyone out her to sign up for TAC. Never CTMH. I notice that CTMH no longer has any 4 x 6 background stamps either. guess they don't work in that mushy material they now use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 06:03 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
I notice that CTMH no longer has any 4 x 6 background stamps either. guess they don't work in that mushy material they now use.
You can see thru the acrylic so you can make your background as large as you need it by lining it up. I'm assuming that's why they are smaller now-not that they are "mushy!" If you are getting a mushy image try not pressing as hard and use the foam underneath the paper you are stamping on. hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm an SU demo, and personally wouldn't mind the option of buying unmounted. I don't have any and have never tried them, but it's always good to have the option. I also just bought a few CTMH sets recently and like the acrylic. I haven't used them enough to say that I would totally want to go to acrylic, but I like them because I can see where I'm going with the image. I was getting 'mushy' edges, but now that I now about not pressing so hard and using the foam, I can't wait to get home to try them again.

Shelly made it very clear during last year's convention that we would not be going to unmounted or acrylic, so I don't look for either of those changes any time soon.

JMO, Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Last year at convention Shelley stated they would never go to the unmounted system. I hope she holds true to her word. I like the convenience of being able to grab a box of stamps, throw my image on the card and go. Much better for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have always been a wood-mounted snob, too, but my friend just had a CTMH party so i bought one of their alphabet sets and have to say that I love it! I love being able to spell out a name of saying right on the block--no trying to line up the letters or use that stamp-a-majig (that I hate- too impatient!). And lining up words or using part of a stamp is a breeze because you can see through them- I am impressed! K.
Reply With Quote Likes