Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #81  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this thread! It was always my fave on the demo side before i retired. I never notice the funny stamps, but I did notice the bees. I thought they were astronauts or something. I like sock monkey ok, at least there ARE sock monkey toys. There is no such toy as a Build A Roo. p 63. I think the D is for Dog and C is for Cat are cute, but I would never buy them, cause of the sorry your pet died sentiments...too creepy.

Still sad that there is no new coffee set. Hellooooo my craft addiction is fueled by my coffee addiction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #82  
Kookie Creator

I am REALLY psyched there is a Butterfly punch, and it matches "Flight of the Butterfly" perfectly!!

I earned this set free back when they had a promotion and I've yet to even mount it - simply because I didn't know what to do with it. But now that there is a matching punch, I am ALL over it! I LOVE stamps with matching punches.

There are def. a few new "must have" punches in the new catty. This is by far one of SU's best catty's YET.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #83  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Unmounted

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I know exactly what you mean, Emily.... it's a reason I'd love to buy without blocks and hopefully save a bit of $$.

A lot of people will try to compare SU sets to singles you might buy -- yes, people will pay $7 or $8 for a single stamp. BUT -- when you break down SU sets (not Courage in particular), it's usually a group of maybe 4 stamps that coordinate with eachother, and at least one is something pretty simple. I will pay $7 or $8 or $10 for a wood-mounted stamp that's a gorgeous image that I "can't live without (LOL)" !! Not for a little sentiment or decorative element.

The prices are high on stamp sets and that often leads me to second-guess my decision to buy. I completely agree about "Courage" though - I love that image. But, eek - it is a lot of $$!
I try to buy my stamps unmounted also, but SU does not offer them this way. I have emailed them asking for this to be an option and let the customer decide, shipping would be a lot less. I hope that more people send them emails requesting the unmounted option.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #84  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
LOL, for me it's got to be that animal set with the swollen heads -- f-REAKY! :p

I'm glad we can laugh about this stuff! Makes me wonder what other funny oddities people find from the various stamp companies! :mrgreen:
The animals with the hydrocephalic heads are weird! I finally got my catalog today...not too many sets I want but there's plenty of great accessories and papers on my wish list! Love the in colors!

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #85  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post

Is the teacher one new? I'm going to have to check that one out; I'm the OCD proofreader in our house (and on SCS, but fortunately only in my head, although can I mention that isles are in the ocean and aisles are in stores?).
The set is called Teacher's Pet. The one's that drive me INSANE are your and you're; their, there, and they're; and two, to, and too. It doesn't bug me too much in kids because it takes some time to learn and remember, but it certainly does in adults! I even know another teacher that doesn't use "you're and your" correctly. ARGH! I mean, seriously, I know for a fact that we start teaching these in grade 1 and 2... I really don't understand why it's so difficult?? Okay, I'm done ranting now. Sorry!

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins

Last edited by puppydoggrins; 06-27-2009 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #86  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I just read through all the posts and these are too fuuny!!

=jendem19;14488361] There is no such toy as a Build A Roo. p 63. ![/quote]

Oh I didn't get was supposed to be a toy - I hought it was called "Build a Roo" because you "build" the image by adding items to the pocket. Boy, I missed that completly.

Has to be an Ostrich because there is not one self respecting Flamingo that would have a butt that big!

Santa in shorts is scary - but gee, maybe he'd share his brownies and egg nog!

Really want the trailer for loads of love but not all the other stuff in the set. I'll get it just so I can have the trailer cus I love my little truck.

Never thought about that "Friend Good" was the Monster not the Dr. I've allways called the monster Frankenstein!!

I can't wait to see what more we find once more people have the catty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #87  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't realize Frankenstein wasn't the monster either! And I've thought about getting that set but I probably won't now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #88  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I didn't realize Frankenstein wasn't the monster either! And I've thought about getting that set but I probably won't now!
I do have the set and have used it and none of my buddies realized the difference. I used my Frankie stamp from Whippersnapper and they loved it. I wouldn't worry about it and "what if the Hokey Pokey really is what's all about?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #89  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppydoggrinsView Post
The set is called Teacher's Pet. The one's that drive me INSANE are your and you're; their, there, and they're; and two, to, and too. It doesn't bug me too much in kids because it takes some time to learn and remember, but it certainly does in adults! I even know another teacher that doesn't use "you're and your" correctly. ARGH! I mean, seriously, I know for a fact that we start teaching these in grade 1 and 2... I really don't understand why it's so difficult?? Okay, I'm done ranting now. Sorry!
How about unnecessary apostrophes? So many "birthday's" and "demo's"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Okay... I'll lend a hand as I am really really good at talking myself out of stamp sets for the slightest reason, and then looking for a back door to rationalize myself into a purchase!!

Yes, it was Dr. Frankenstein and the monster was... the monster, I believe. SO... just imagine, that Dr. Frankenstein is learning how to speak "monster talk" (a form of "baby talk") to the monster... he's just speaking so that the monster can understand him ... very simply. So, really, Dr. Frankenstein could have said it!!

Does that help? I'll still maybe get the pooping giraffe. I like the style of the animals. . . and it can look a little less childish than Wild About You or Zoofari. Sigh. It's a really good thing that we have this catalog for a year!! Decisions, decisions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
How about unnecessary apostrophes? So many "birthday's" and "demo's"!
We should have our own club!! I agonize when I post to make sure I haven't made a grammatical slip.... and then I read some of the posts and wonder why I bother LOL!!! Oh, right.... that OCD thing ;)

(Do you ever post something and then edit it just to add punctuation?!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #92  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Quote:

YES!! And some days, I wish I could edit other posts with punctuation or spelling mistakes in them because they drive me crazy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #93  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Or, even worse...when it's too late to edit!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #94  
Gallery Gazer

and ne1 that talks in txt talk, i just skip ovr, u know? I mean, you're on a keyboard, how long does the "y" and "o" take to press?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #95  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My big "who would buy" in the catty is "Yippee Kaiyay Holiday", page 42.

Also, I didn't buy last year, but definitely wanted "Font of you", page 46 BUT it is not in the new catty and wasn't on the retiring list. What gives?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #96  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicholeCView Post
YES!! And some days, I wish I could edit other posts with punctuation or spelling mistakes in them because they drive me crazy!!
This is to funny....(hee hee, you know I really mean too)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #97  
Rubber Obsessor

I am enjoying the read this morning, ladies! Way too funny! I will be happy with catty in hand as well. I will definitely look at the stamps differently.
Have a great Sunday! subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #98  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I finally have my catalog in my own possession... but haven't had a chance to look with a really critical eye yet.

But that set Whoo's Your Valentine? I totally don't get "Chew, chew, I like you!" Why not stick with "Choo, choo???" Hmmmm..... Love "fishes, wishes & kisses" but not sure why LOL!!

The first few times through the catalog, I tend to only see what I like... down the road, I'll probably look at ones I passed over and find something "hmmmm"-worthy LOL!!

This time 'round, I have to say I think they 'done good.'

Oh - almost forgot. Awhile back talking about retiring sets, a lot of people seemed to be tired of Loads of Love. Now there's an add-on set for it! I bet people will love the camper. I think the trailer could have all sorts of things piled up on it. Do you all like the Loads of Fun set?
Love the Loads of Love set. My dh just brought home an ATV last night, so that new accessory set is on my list. LOL

kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #99  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to ruin the set for anyone else. Blame it on my English prof the first year of university. She made us read it. What a horrible book! It was one of those classics that make you wonder why the heck anyone would even recommend it to anyone else, let alone deem it a classic!

Angela

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #100  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

We should have our own club!! I agonize when I post to make sure I haven't made a grammatical slip.... and then I read some of the posts and wonder why I bother LOL!!! Oh, right.... that OCD thing ;)

YES!!! I've also done it to change the way I've worded things. I'm so glad I'm not alone in my insanity!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #101  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppydoggrinsView Post
Sock monkeys are scary!!!! I don't know why, but they creep me out. Then again, maybe I'm just a big ol' weirdo!!

Angela
Me too!!! I didn't like it when it came out.....BUT, my DD LOVES it and wants me to put it on our "have to get it!" list. LOL. Oh dear...

I have to say, for full disclosure, that I'm a "hobby" demo. I just got my catty, w/my pre-order , day B4 yesterday and, like some others have said, I like it much more than some of the more recent ones. I love the InColor this time and splurged on it ALL. I'm so glad there are matching markers -- finally! It's very pretty in 'real life'.

I think a lot of this catalogue is quite nice.
Hope you all can get your hands on one soon.

Now, as for one that makes me say, "hmmmmm??"
I will have to say the Arizona/Cowgirl set sure does! I don't like it at all.
I live in AZ and a set with chilies, sahuaros, etc would have been something I'd normally be really interested in, especially if it did NOT have Kokopellis. LOL However, this set is just awful. JMHO!

Cheers,
Stacy
Stampin' blog here

Last edited by Aznewmom; 06-28-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #102  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaggtView Post
My big "who would buy" in the catty is "Yippee Kaiyay Holiday", page 42.
I totally agree, the cowboy riding the Easter Bunny weirds me out. "Happy Easter Buckaroo!" No thanks!

Wellness Wishes- I completely agree about that sick dog. It's also a really weird set as a whole. The roughly drawn bandaid, the creepy dog, and then the really fancy script. I just wouldn't have put those 3 together.

Something my sister pointed out- The Canadian card is done in red, white, but mostly blue. Ummm, we've got no blue on our flag...

Nature's Nest- it has nice enough illustrations, but again, what an odd, eclectic mix of images- a peacock feather, a nest full of eggs, a dragonfly, a tortoise, and a seashell. At least they go together better than Wellness Wishes.

The price of I Heart Lists, um 38.95 CDN, really? It takes up as much page space as the one to the right Favorite Things, which is $7.00 less!

Other than those, I'm quite happy with the new catalog. I really like how they've used the new colours in it and there are a lot of fun sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jendem19View Post
Thanks for this thread! It was always my fave on the demo side before i retired. I never notice the funny stamps, but I did notice the bees. I thought they were astronauts or something. I like sock monkey ok, at least there ARE sock monkey toys. There is no such toy as a Build A Roo. p 63. I think the D is for Dog and C is for Cat are cute, but I would never buy them, cause of the sorry your pet died sentiments...too creepy.

Still sad that there is no new coffee set. Hellooooo my craft addiction is fueled by my coffee addiction!
Why does Build-A-Roo have to be a toy? I think it's because you can put different things in his pouch.

The pet sympathy sets were needed. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #104  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Quote:

I thought the movie was called Frankenstein and the title was used. Oops.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

The Build-a-Roo set is in the Australian catalog, so I don't think it's meant to be a toy...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #106  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post
Why does Build-A-Roo have to be a toy? I think it's because you can put different things in his pouch.

The pet sympathy sets were needed. I don't see anything wrong with it.
The Build-A-Roo set is soooo cute ... and I agree about the pet sympathy sets - they are first on my list to get ... I really like both of them and personally dont find the sentiments "creepy" at all ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #107  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Okay... I'll lend a hand as I am really really good at talking myself out of stamp sets for the slightest reason, and then looking for a back door to rationalize myself into a purchase!!

Yes, it was Dr. Frankenstein and the monster was... the monster, I believe. SO... just imagine, that Dr. Frankenstein is learning how to speak "monster talk" (a form of "baby talk") to the monster... he's just speaking so that the monster can understand him ... very simply. So, really, Dr. Frankenstein could have said it!!

Does that help? I'll still maybe get the pooping giraffe. I like the style of the animals. . . and it can look a little less childish than Wild About You or Zoofari. Sigh. It's a really good thing that we have this catalog for a year!! Decisions, decisions.

Sure, that makes perfect sense!!! Thanks!!! I also like the Hokey Pokey saying and Ward Cleaver's quote! I like the HP saying partly because I've worked with kids all my life....teaching preschool, then kindergarten and also as an early childhood specialist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicholeCView Post
I edit mine all the time! Then sometimes I still see where I made a mistake. I'll see signs or posters around town with mistakes and I want to take a black marker and fix them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

For the cat and dog -- I think pet sympathy ideas have been oft requested and they were trying to answer that... doesn't bug me either although I already have pet sympathy sentiments!!

Build-a-Roo, yes, originally an Aussie set and I traded a friend for it so I've got that one! Cute.

And I think that if the "Frankenstein" part can me a book title to you - then go for it ;)!!

I'm guessing that all of these "odd combination" sets must be on purpose .... there's even a level 1 hostess set like that (different holidays). I'm guessing the strategy is to make more sets multi-purpose - good for beginning stampers. But sometimes... like the little western set... it isn't executed as well as in other sets. JMHO ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #110  
Kookie Creator

OHHHHH. Ok, Build A Roo. I guess that is why I just didn't get it. I felt like it was supposed to be something I recognized, but really it is just a kangaroo. With an incredibly adaptable pouch. Still not so much my favorite, but at least it is just ME, not the SET that is screwy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #111  
Kookie Creator

I know that skulls are in "fashion" right now, but there are more than ever in this catalog and they creep me out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #112  
Matboard Maniac

Are they ever going to have any cute dogs again? I have not liked any of them for the last 3 years. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #113  
Mad Swapper

I didn't see a teacher's set with typos. Where is that? And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that giraffe is weird...like something you see on a drug trip or something!

Here's the email I just sent my demo...

My thoughts on the catty:

First of all, it feels weird. Whatever coating is on the cover stock feels really strange and makes me not want to hold it. I know, weird.

On the whole, I really like the way the catalog looks! It was a great idea to showcase several of the DSP's by using them as category dividers!

I'm liking the stamp sets in the style of the medallion and the stamp/paper that's the background on the cover (frilly, shabby chic, contemporary). And there are several sets where I like only one or two images (aaarg...don't want to buy a whole set for just one stamp...example: Framed with Love on pg. 119 - I like the image first row, second from the right but not really that interested in the rest).

Some of the kit things (wedding, pirates, princesses) are a really great idea! I'm not interested at this point, but I think they're great!

What's with all the birds? I wonder if anyone's counted up the number of birds. They are everywhere!

Now, what do you think of the animals in Animal Stories (pg. 11)? Something about that horse - wait, it's a giraffe...I see the little horn-thing on top - well giraffe/horse, it's still kinda creepy.

Wonder why there are so few background stamps? A page and a half? Didn't see that one coming (though I would have if I went through the retiring list!)

The tips throughout are really fun.

And are all the rubber stamps die cut now? The prices seem really high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #114  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Not SU...but when I was a CTMH demo there was a set that had a stamp with lips in it. The lips were just an outline with an x in the middle. No matter how I looked at that stamp...it looked like a sphincter! LOL. My upline said I better keep that thought to myself or else none of my customers would buy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #115  
Embossing Fanatic

it's the malnourished my little pony i feel so sorry for !
love the catalog.
not so many neqw flower type stamps.
love the number of priced sets for under $25.....or even under $20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #116  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Oh no! I liked that giraffe because it looked sassy. But now that I went back, I see what you mean. I guess I can take that set off the list. But, I like the other new animal set better anyway (on page 72). Now that flamingo IS sassy! :mrgreen:
Surely that bird is an ostrich!! or is it really a flamingo!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #117  
Polyshrink Goddess

I could not understand why they made the cover puke yellow. I'm so sorry, but that is what it looks like to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #118  
Mad Swapper

I think the cover is that new curry color. I kinda like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #119  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Oh no! I liked that giraffe because it looked sassy. But now that I went back, I see what you mean. I guess I can take that set off the list. But, I like the other new animal set better anyway (on page 72). Now that flamingo IS sassy! :mrgreen:
I showed my hubby what everyone is saying about the giraffe. He said that he saw what we meant, and that it sure looked like the elephant stepped in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #120  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmarthView Post
First of all, it feels weird. Whatever coating is on the cover stock feels really strange and makes me not want to hold it. I know, weird.
I never noticed the cover's feel until I read your comment. Then I ran my hand over it and I see what you mean. One good thing is that it makes the catalog not so slippery. I noticed that last night when I set it on the Sunday paper that was on small stack of magazines - it didn't slide off. Even now, I tugged at it on my desk and the clipboard with paper on it that is underneath moved with the catalog. Personally, that's a good thing for me. Less chance of the cover getting bent because a dog (or cat) knocked it off something.

Reply With Quote Likes