Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing paper scraps - how & how much?

I'm getting close to just throwing all my scraps out before it becomes a problem! I need some ideas on how you can keep track of printed paper (styles, colors, etc.) and plain cardstock. Any help out there?!? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I'm sure there are much better ideas out there but I keep my scraps in file folders (they are like little pocket folders). I picked them up at an office supply store and some at Wal-mart. I just write on the folder a color---red, black, brown, white, etc. and put my scraps in there. If it is something like my SU paper, I put the 8 1/2 x 11" in the folders (one color per folder) and then put those scraps in the folder with the full pieces. Then when I need a color I just pull out the appropriate folders and try to use my scraps first.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

(PS there are some great tutorials in the resources to use up scraps)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With the exception of my themed paper (Christmas, Camping, etc.) I sort my scraps by color: white, pink, red, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, gray, black.

Solids and prints, paper and cardstock, all go together in the 13"x13" zip-style bags. I have one bag for each color for paper that is at least 1"x12". (I'm a scrapbooker, so I like having strips that I can use on a page.) I have another bag for each color paper that is not 12" long, but at least 2"x3". The bags are loosely stored in two magazine holders. If I get so many scraps that they don't fit into the two holders, I'll start saving larger sizes or I'll get rid of some of my scraps whose color/designs I'm least likely to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #4  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I save every piece of scrap paper, I often use small pieces for sentiments. I keep dp scraps with the original dp packet, not very efficient for single sheets, but I usually buy packs of it.
8 1/2 x 11 card stock I store in hanging folder files in a file cabinet. the whole sheets in the hanging file and then behind the whole sheet I have manilla folders (the three tab kind) where I keep all my scrap pieces - I too pull that out first and see if I can use any before I cut into a whole sheet.
12x12 card stock I have standing in a closet shelf, the scraps from these I put in the hanging file system.
probably the only efficient system I have in my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have an accordian folder that I bought from Creative Memories. It measures 10" high by 12" long. I have a manilla file folder inside each section. I file my scraps by color and I check my file before I cut into a new piece of cardstock. The file folder makes it easy to pull out all scraps and leaf through them. Periodically, I pitch the tiny pieces that have fallen to the bottom of my file. I love this system - it's worked well for me for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I've found that all of my paper of the same color needs to be together, so I keep my scraps with the full sheets. All of my paper is stored in manilla folders. If I have lots of little scraps of a particular color, I'll throw the small scraps into a ziplock baggie, which stays with the main folder.

If I separate out my scraps, I never use them. Ever.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I have my SU cardstock in file folders with a ziploc bag in each folder for the scraps. Still too many, still too much but I know that if I need a scrap of Cherry Cobbler, it is with the full sized pieces of cardstock.

Funny story - when I first started papercrafting my husband knew I spent a lot of time (well....and money) at Michaels. He went Christmas shopping for me there and I can imagine him wandering the aisles wondering what to get for me. It was hard not to laugh when I opened up a package that contained.......a package of scraps! I am sure the people at the register were killing themselves laughing at this guy basically purchasing trash for his wife for Christmas! The sapphire earrings that year more than made up for the scraps and I still smile to myself every time I think of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

It seems the repeating idea is to use file folders and to keep the scraps by color. I like the idea of keeping an original sheet of cardstock with the file folder. I have a problem seeing the difference between some shades so that would help me make sure I use the right scrap for a sentiment.

I love all the ideas and APPRECIATE everyone's response. I knew this was the place to ask! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

ALL of my scraps (cardstock & patterned paper) go into hanging file folders. I have them sorted by color. Then when I'm creating I look to those folders FIRST before cutting new paper. It helps use up my scraps first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a one gallon ziplock bag in each color/folder for my SU card stock. This way, when I need something, even small, I just grab that bag.

As for the printed paper, geesh... I'm still trying to figure that out myself!!!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I have a large box of all the patterned paper scraps. When I am creating, I dump all of it out and look through it much the same as when I'm looking for the right embellishments. Its messy and needs cleanup after I finish but it works for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I store all my 12 by 12 paper in large plastic envelopes from Cropper Hopper and Paper Studio (at least I think those are the correct sources). I have my paper sorted by solid color, prints by color, and themes such as flowers or Holidays.

If I have scraps from either the prints or the themes, I place them in a clear page protector at the front of the plastic envelope. All of the full sheets are behind the page protector. I usually don't have as many of these scraps, so this works well for me.

All of my solid cardstock I place in large ziplock bags by color. I have a rolling cart type thing right next to where I stamp and all of the bags fit into the cart. I always start with my scraps and move to the plastic envelopes if I need larger pieces.

I also have found it helpful if I cut something with die cuts such as Nesties, to simply cut some extras from my scraps while I have it all out. I file those pieces in a photo storage box. It is great to be able to go to the box and grab a pre-cut oval when you need it.

I think that since my scraps are easy to get at, I use them more frequently. I continue to be amazed how many pieces get used that I originally wonder about throwing away. I know many people toss their scraps, but I find there is a lot of use in a bag of scraps. I also use my scraps to jot down a note, test a technique or stamp, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep all my scrap cardstock and designer paper in a couple of Ziplock baggies.

And I try to use it first before using any other paper. Then I start all over again.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Once again, great ideas! I'm going to have to get busy and go thru my scraps and get them organized. I'll probably save alot of paper by using your ideas!! Thanks - because we all know money is tight these days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

For my A Muse scraps, I keep them in drawers, that are a little larger than 8.5"x11", they are about 2.5" tall. I currently have 1 drawer for Solids & one for Patterns.

I have to admit, that I have found a few fun color combos, by seeing scraps laying together in my drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a little "bin" from walmart with a snap on lid, it's about the size of a shoe box only taller. So far, everythng fits in there nicely. I keep paper that is big enough to be punched which covers just about every scrap!! I probably should store by color, maybe that can be a weekend project for me Wonder if it's tall enough to put a file card between colors? Perfect, I was wondering what I was going to do this weekend (holding up the sarcasm sign) :rolleyes::p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I keep my Cardstock in hanging file folders too. But I use large cello bags (SU) in the front of each with the smaller scraps. The best I've used though are the cello bags that SU Cardstock used to come in ( with logo) and when I was a demonstrator you could buy them as supplies (need more if any of you demonstrators out there could help me) for 12x12 I have them in hanging files sorted by color or theme and use the packages they come in and then the SU cello bags inside that bag. Does all this rambling make sense? Anyway I like cello because it is thinner and my files are stuffed enough as it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Mine is super simple. I don't know if it would work for everybody.

I got a cute polka-dot bin from Target and I have three categories. Each color group is in one file folder. Yes they bulge and lay open but it doesn't matter. I have red, orange, pink, purple in one folder-yellow, green and blue in another and nuetrals in another.

It's next to my desk and I just look down and there are all the colors of the rainbow. Easy, easy-peasy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't. Well, I don't organize them. I have a small basket that's maybe 8 x 7 and 3 in. deep that hangs from a 3M command adhesive hook on the side of the DVD case that holds stamps. It hangs basically just behind me over my left shoulder while I'm working. Whenever I need a small piece, or even just not sure what pattern or color to use, I flip through it and usually find the perfect thing.

I don't save anything that isn't at least 2 x 3 in. unless it's a gorgeous pattern paper that I try to use every scrap of, or a good strip that may be only 1/2 or 1 in wide. Every now and then I sort through the basket and toss the smallest pieces if it's getting full.

I used to put all the scraps in a 12 x 12 x 2 in drawer that I could pull out and put on my desk if I wanted to, and for a short time I even filed them by color. But I find with the basket that I use them much more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I also subscribe to the hanging file folder system divided by color. Also I keep scrap vinyl in a folder within each color so I have quick acess to all of my vinyl (sticky back for die cutting) as well as paper. I combine PP and solid cardstock, I just sort by the most dominant color ;)

I like these crates because they stack, I have 3 and this one is on top with all of my scraps in it. The other two crates underneath hold stuff I do not need everyday such as fabric scraps and the kids school supplies. Hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Storing paper scraps - how & how much?-lweirich_craftystorage_scrapbookisalnd_papercrate.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

I also use a Cropper Hopper. I have one specifically for scraps, and another one for specific 12x12's that I do not want to cut up. I keep the one for scraps directly under my desk -- I found that I go to it first now before pulling out of my 12x12 stash, and it actually works great. I have a blog post that explains how I utilize this process including photos, which may help.

LoveLee Notes: SNT Tuesday - Organizing those Scraps

I use the value pack and sort by color, both for solids & patterns. I absolutely love it! I used to throw it all in a large bin, but I found that I missed so much digging through the bin and didn't use it as much. What a difference it made sorting it and having it readily available. Hope this is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

At first I had two snap-shut Iris containers, one filled w/solid scraps, another filled w/printed scraps. When those containers got pretty full and it was taking me longer to fish through them to find what I might want to use, I decided to try to better organize them. I purchased some snap-lock, sturdy, Sterlite totes w/handles from a discount store. They accomodated hanging folders. I sorted the solids by color families and put them in their respective, labeled files. I sorted the prints by subject (floral, words) or theme (Christmas, fall), and labeled the hanging folders accordingly. If I thought the dp scraps would be good for multiple occasion projects, I sorted that dp by color family. Each tote is labeled so I know what's in them. Having them organized like this, has saved me considerable time and has so far, worked good for me. I also use these totes to organize my die-cuts and punched pieces, which are sorted by name (i.e., "b" for birdcage," "c" for circle.) HAPPY CRAFTING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

When I first started my blog, I did a post about how I store my scraps. When I stumbled upon this lady's blog - I was SO EXCITED & knew this method was right up my alley.
Storing Those Scraps - New England Stamper

Here's my blog post about it - a couple notes as I've worked with this system for about a year & a half now - I keep large pieces of paper with other full size sheets of the same color and I also keep a gallon zip lock bag of 12" strips that I will pull from for strips or to border punch. Post is a few down... KariScrap: March 2011
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

well heres my take on it. first off anything smaller than 2x3 goes in a little tin bucket on my desk. all colors together. anything larger goes in a hanging file by color groups like reds and pinks, blues and greens. the reason i do this is because i am not totally dedicated to just stampin up paper. i love getting different colors at joanns or archivers. when i am on a project i pull the correct folder and get creative. i have found some really nice combos by doing this. i find i use alot more up. before i started this system i purged and gave a HUGE box of scraps to the nuns for their crafting. they waste nothing and i didnt feel guilty for gettin it gone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I have a set of 12" x 12" plastic drawers. One drawer for just white and cream, one for itty bitty bits and one for bigger pieces. I have a rule- if the drawer gets over full, I figure out which ones I like the least and throw them away. You always tell yourself, "Oh, I might need this 1/2" x 1/4" bit of mud brown card stock some day." Yeah, when? LOLOL!
-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. I use a clear over the door shoe bag. I use my scraps first b/c it's easy access and serves as a visual reminder. It's the one craft-thing my dh will help me with , sorting the scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I appreciate all the great ideas. I have a bunch of the sterilite 12 x 12 drawers. They stack very nicely. I have six sets tall so that is 18 drawers. One for Pink, then ROYGBIV, (actually the I and V are combined into Purple) one for cream, one for white, one for black and one for Greys. I skip a drawer in-between the colors and put pattern papers of the two colors combined into the middle drawer. So in-between the Pink and Red Drawer is the patterned papers for both pink AND red. Hope that makes sense.

All the smaller and cut pieces are in a zip lock baggie on the top of the drawer.

Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

All my SU card stock is stored in hanging file folders. I put a large Manilla envelope in each folder to hold all the scraps. This keeps the colors together and there's no guess work.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use gallon plastic storage bags. One for each color and its variations. One bag is used for designer paper and one is for metallics and glitters. I used to save every scrap but didn't often use them. I only save 2 X 3 inch and larger. Used to have all my scraps in a tub and then dig through them... they are now sorted and I can see them through the clear plastic bags. The bags are stored in a storage bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate to sound grumpy but I KNOW this topic has been done over and over and over... I've responded many times so if you search for 'paper scraps' I'm sure you will find a plethora of responses. I really like my system but I swear this topic was done, in the newsletter no less, about a month or two ago??
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I hate to sound grumpy but I KNOW this topic has been done over and over and over... I've responded many times so if you search for 'paper scraps' I'm sure you will find a plethora of responses. I really like my system but I swear this topic was done, in the newsletter no less, about a month or two ago??
I understand what you are saying--and I see the same complaint on many different types of forums. But if conversations that were already discussed were discouraged, there's were be very little conversation on forums like this.

Personally, I like it when a topic is reintroduced. It gives people a chance to post favorite old answers and to post new fresh ideas to old problems. Also, I'm not a newsletter reader. I prefer the more "personal" (LOL) touch that is available with forum discussions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To actually use your scraps...

The key is to make sure whatever system you use, your scraps are close at hand. Once I moved my file box (filled with large ziplok bags, divided by color) close to my work area, I find I am much more likely to dip into the scrap bags before grabbing a new piece of CS to cut up. Its working for me. DP is another challenge altogether!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Default Love to Stamp

I used to try to keep my scraps with the original packs of paper, but that just got to be a pain for me. So now I got a pretty photo box and I keep all my scraps in the photo box. If it's really, really small I still save it. I keep it in a separate smaller container. I'm sure most would just throw it out, but I also like to make my own paper, so that's why i keep even the smallest of pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Default Saving Scraps

I used to try to keep my scraps with the original packs of paper, but that just got to be a pain for me. So now I got a pretty photo box and I keep all my scraps in the photo box. If it's really, really small I still save it. I keep it in a separate smaller container. I'm sure most would just throw it out, but I also like to make my own paper, so that's why i keep even the smallest of pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #35  
Glitter Queen

I'm sorry you're grumpy Rebecca Ednie, but I think your response was just a little harsh. Some of us don't get to this web site very often and don't understand all the nuances. I also don't receive the newsletter, which I'll look into. A little patience and understanding would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
Then just past by.....why respond at all? I've enjoyed this thread. I know I see repeated topics but I just don't jump in on them if it's not something I want to discuss.

Oreodog....I've loved this thread and I've read all the great responses. This post made me sad ;(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

I too have enjoyed reading all the responses and have gathered some great ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i store all my paper pads in their orignal packaging or in a polypocket (the clear ones that go in a ring binder). then i put all my scraps apart from the very teeny tiny bits in the pocket with the orig pad/pack. that way i can see if i've got a suitable sized piece of paper before i cut into a larger piece. i know that if i put my scraps in a separate box i'd never look thru it to find a matching piece so keeping htem all together works for me.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

I got these folder books at the end of a school season a year or so ago. I use each folder for a color (one is pinks, one is reds, etc). It works well, however the binding is ripping on the one. I guess I over stuffed it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I also vote for the baggie kept in the hanging folder with the full sheet system. I'm newish to papercrafting and this seems to work quite well for me. Right now I mainly use SU paper because I'm making swaps for SU events. So, that system works very well. Once I start doing non-SU swaps and challenges, I'll starting using more of my collection of non-SU paper, and then I'll figure out what works best there. Right now the smallish amount of non-SU scraps go into a sterlite drawer.

I save almost every scrap. Two reasons for this...

First, I am with acrussell, on that scraps, no matter how small can be used for paper making. Since you have to break up the paper you throw into the blender anyways, using scraps means that part is taken care of already.

Second is a recent experience I had. I made 52 swaps for the SU regional this coming Saturday. On the swap is a butterfly, for which I made a body with head and antenna. It turned out really cute (see pic below). And I used less than a half of an 8.5x11 sheet of Early Espresso. I cut three med daisies (bigz die) for the bodies, then from the scraps I punched 52 antenna (EK Success Lg Butterfly punch, just the antenna portion, so I was using med-small scraps), then the remaining scraps I used with the new SU doily sizzlet, for just the very center circle for the head. I was using itty bitty pieces for the head, so after I die cut the original 3 med daisies, I didn't have to touch the other half of the 8.5x11 sheet of Early Espresso at all. So you just never know, when you'll be able to use the smallest scrap of paper.

Plus, I have a 5 yr old son, who seems to be quite crafty, so those scraps will get used up, one way or another.
Attached Thumbnails
Storing paper scraps - how & how much?-1-larger-off-card.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes