Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamps on the Bookshelf

I've seen that some of you orgainze your stamps on a bookshelf and I am wondering how you organize them?

I tried alphabetically, but they didn't stack nicely because the sizes of sets are different.

What do you do?

Thanks! I finally have my own stamping space and I can't wait to play.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I just stack mine according to size of the box they come in after labeling the end of the box with a black sharpie so I can see the name clearly. If I stacked them alphabetically, they wouldn't last very long stacked that way cuz they would quickly get messed up. Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I store them on their sides like books. I just keep the edges even at the front so all the set names are easily read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

Mine are sorted first by box size, then alpha. You can see photos in my gallery if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Mine are sorted by type (alphabet, animals, sentiments etc.) then flat with the stamp set name facing out.

I JUST organized them this way this weekend, so I'm not sure how it's going to work out - but so far I've been able to go directly to the "type" of stamp I wanted.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best

kj in al
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

At the moment I sort mine by case size. But I am about to go in super organizing mode so that may change
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:22 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

i do box size too (keeping the alphabet sets together) and i stand my background stamps on their sides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I organize by type. Flowers, Sentiments, Geometric,Stamps I don't care if the kids use, Animals, Alphabets,...it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

All of my stamps and SU cases are in "project cases" from Office Depot and are on shelves. The cases are labeled....Fall,Halloween,Thanksgiving,Christmas,e tc. also Alphabets,Sentiments, BG stamps...florals,foliage,vintage,etc. They are also labeled if SU or non SU. Also by stamp company(A Muse, Art Impressions,Lockhart,etc.) The cases can get expensive (they are 7.00 each),but they hold alot of stamps. I just bought 3 more yesterday.I have 60 cases now.But I've bought them gradually over the last few years. I have to be organized...this works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
All of my stamps and SU cases are in "project cases" from Office Depot and are on shelves. The cases are labeled....Fall,Halloween,Thanksgiving,Christmas,e tc. also Alphabets,Sentiments, BG stamps...florals,foliage,vintage,etc. They are also labeled if SU or non SU. Also by stamp company(A Muse, Art Impressions,Lockhart,etc.) The cases can get expensive (they are 7.00 each),but they hold alot of stamps. I just bought 3 more yesterday.I have 60 cases now.But I've bought them gradually over the last few years. I have to be organized...this works for me.
This sounded interesting to me. I'm not quite sure what a project case is though. Do you have a picture you could share? Also, do you take the stamps out of their own cases and just mix & match in the project case?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulWomanView Post
This sounded interesting to me. I'm not quite sure what a project case is though. Do you have a picture you could share? Also, do you take the stamps out of their own cases and just mix & match in the project case?
This is a link to Office Depot and the cases......

http://www.officedepot.com/browse.do?Nr=200000&N=201563

I leave the SU stamps in their original cases and then put them in the project cases.

I'll have to see if I have some pics already,if not I'll try & take some later and send them to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I also sort my stamps by type first. Words & sentiments, floral & nature, backgrounds, and misc. I do have sections for seasonal items too such as christmas, valentine, fall, winter, birthday. Then within these, I have them sorted by size with the labels facing out. Isn't it funny how we each have our own style and obsesive compulsions!?!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I store them in home made wooden trays, which go in a DVD unit. I sort them by company.
I have pictures of the DVD unit on my blog, but they are from last year, the unit is completely filled with storage trays now...
http://stampingmathilda.blogspot.com...amp-tower
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

wow! What a great idea - one that I'm going to lift from you for all my wooden stamps! LOL I love love love the tray idea and can't wait to get hubby to build some for me this winter! (He doesn't know it yet <g>)

Now that I have my SU stamps the way I want them (they are stored on a bread rack I found at a thrift store and are arranged by stamp type, then size with the set name facing out) I have been hurting my head trying to think of a way to store the massive amount of wooden stamps I have. Right now some are on shelves on my wall, others are in a wooden storage box, and the rest are in a cardboard drawer thingy - which btw is almost full.

Kj
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I bought small plastic boxes from Walmart/Target. I labeled them all by subject (ie shoes, school, flowers, birthday, etc) and put all of my indiv. and stamp sets in them. The SU sets that have a variety of stamps inside are stacked on other shelves by size
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

On multiple bookcases by type, box size, and some alphabetically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks everyone.

I sorted them by size and then alphabetically. I can stack about 9 sets in one stack that way.

It works well. I just have to remember to remove every set above the one I'm going for, then take the one I want and put them all back.

But I can find each set pronto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #18  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkleView Post
Thanks everyone.

I sorted them by size and then alphabetically. I can stack about 9 sets in one stack that way.

It works well. I just have to remember to remove every set above the one I'm going for, then take the one I want and put them all back.

But I can find each set pronto!
Based on past "messes" I know myself well enough to realize that my sets have to be stored vertically (even though fewer sets will fit in the same space). I usually work until I'm too tired to do "one more thing" and that includes putting things away. (bad habits but no harm is done).

So, I am in the process of making an index binder (which I wanted to do anyway) which will be alphabetical and by type. But the sets themselves will be stored in numerical order. My reasoning is that most of my future acquisitions are likely to have higher numbers so they can just go at the end of the shelf instead of fitting them in-between sets to keep them alphabetized.

However, once a set has retired it will be stored alphabetically in a wide 3-drawer plastic cart (next to the bookcase with the current sets). I have 1-1/2 drawers filled but can stack another cart (without the wheels) on top of it as I don't plan to need either cart to be mobile.

A key factor in this working for me is to have both the item number and set name visible from two sides (one side will show on the bookshelf and a different side will show in the cart.) I found it easiest (although it takes some time) to cut up a printout of my Excel Inventory sheet and tape it to the cases. Since I have to this for over 40 sets using my P-Touch would take too long (plus when I decided to embark on this project it was almost Midnight and I was almost out of label tape).

The main thing to remember is that different methods work for different folks and if you choose one that doesn't work, permit yourself to try another way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

20,000? Oh my gosh. Even in CD cases, this must take up a remarkable amount of room!!!!! Do you have a photo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I store them on their sides like books. I just keep the edges even at the front so all the set names are easily read.
This is what I do, also. I've tried other methods of storage (by case size, by style, etc.) but this has worked best for me! I also have an index of my stamp sets in a binder so I can easily find the stamp I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGrinchHereView Post
This is what I do, also. I've tried other methods of storage (by case size, by style, etc.) but this has worked best for me! I also have an index of my stamp sets in a binder so I can easily find the stamp I need.
Wallace and Grommet!! LOL, we've loved these two since my husband used to bring home their little short movies about 13 years ago or so. So funny, lol!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do put my alphabetically, except for alphabet sets and Christmas sets. I tend to think in terms of sets, not just type of image, so that's just easier for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Alphabetically for me, but by first letter only. I don't try to sub alphabetize since I only have to scan down the list of names for that letter. I put the larger boxes for that letter toward the bottom (sometimes). The only snaffoo is that sometimes I have a "not yet senior" moment and forget the name of the set.. *&OU*&)()&^%%! I hate that!

I tried doing the sideways thing but the sets would fall when I had more than one out and it aggravated me too much to have to use two hands to put them back... I know... I'm just too lazy!

One of these days, I'm gonna make myself a notebook with the images on each page.... but not today... did I mention that I'm lazy?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #23  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
Alphabetically for me, but by first letter only. I don't try to sub alphabetize since I only have to scan down the list of names for that letter. I put the larger boxes for that letter toward the bottom (sometimes). The only snaffoo is that sometimes I have a "not yet senior" moment and forget the name of the set.. *&OU*&)()&^%%! I hate that!

I tried doing the sideways thing but the sets would fall when I had more than one out and it aggravated me too much to have to use two hands to put them back... I know... I'm just too lazy!

One of these days, I'm gonna make myself a notebook with the images on each page.... but not today... did I mention that I'm lazy?!
Very good point about sliding sets ... I'm lazy too but found it just as frustrating (to me) as needing 2 hands to remove (and replace) sets from a pile.

Pushing the vertical set cases up is easier for me .

Love threads like this because there is always something to learn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #24  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I do mine by size and then alphabetically but I'm not super-**** about it. When they go back, they go back on top of the right stack.

I actually have been putting my non-retired sets at the tops of their stack. (My retired sets get a red dot on the case.) This way it's quicker for me to grab the new ones.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

My sister-in-law gave me this idea...
With her craft table against the wall, she put two glass blocks at each end with a narrow shelf board sitting on top of them. The stamp sets then sit on their side under the shelf. I did this in my craft room also. On top of the shelf I stack the background stamps, smaller stamp sets (on their sides as well) and then all my punches. All the sets are labeled so it's easy to find the one you're looking for, and everything is right there in front of me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #26  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by masrokaView Post
My sister-in-law gave me this idea...
With her craft table against the wall, she put two glass blocks at each end with a narrow shelf board sitting on top of them. The stamp sets then sit on their side under the shelf. I did this in my craft room also. On top of the shelf I stack the background stamps, smaller stamp sets (on their sides as well) and then all my punches. All the sets are labeled so it's easy to find the one you're looking for, and everything is right there in front of me.
hmmm, I don't think my 400 or so sets would fit there.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I do place mine on shelves alphabetically (sort of) I stack them by A - B - C, etc., but not strict alpha as I stack the biggest on the bottom and the smallest on the top. Works pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Right now I have like size cases together on their ends in shoeboxes and placed on shelves in an armoire. It isnt the easiest to find a set now but I plan on making a master list with which will have what stamp sets are in each shoebox (with the shoeboxes numbered) and taping it to the inside of one of the doors. And probably putting an index card with the list of sets in the box on the front just for convenience. Its just about finding the time! Because the cases are the same size, I am able to stack two shoeboxes high on each shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I stack my cases by size with holiday and alphabet in separate stacks. I also have made and index of all my stamps. I printed out the index of all my SU sets and put them in page protectors. Then I purchased some plastic pocket dividers and put the print outs of some of the cards using that stamp set in the pocket. That way when I need some inspiration I can just look in the binder. I have set up a binder in the same way for techniques I want to try.
Thanks for all the info in this wonderful site.
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I forgot my non SU stamps I just stamped on a piece of paper and included them as well in the binder.
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkleView Post
I've seen that some of you orgainze your stamps on a bookshelf and I am wondering how you organize them?

I tried alphabetically, but they didn't stack nicely because the sizes of sets are different.

What do you do?

Thanks! I finally have my own stamping space and I can't wait to play.
I can't wait to play either.

I have so few so I don't have to worry about that yet. Right now they are stacked by style.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

When I get a SU stamp set, I take them out of the container and then stamp each stamp in that set on an index card. Then I put the index card in the empty SU container and store those containers in my basement.

The stamps themselves are held in those plastic drawer bins you can get at Walmart and each drawer is labeled. Some of my labels are Animals, Architectural, Alphabets, Floral, Plants, People, Toys, Children, Shapes, Bugs, Borders, Buckles, Swirls, Words, Friendship, Love, all the individual holidays, Cartoons, House Mouse, Scenic, Vacation, Sports, Fishing and Hunting, Vehicles, Frames, Backgrounds, Dogs and Cats, Horses and Deer, School, Anniversary, Thinking of You, Thank You, Birthday, Angels, Teddy Bears, Tags, Music, Writing, Furniture, States, Buildings, It goes on and on. It really helps. I don't want to waste my stamping time looking for what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #33  
Inking Addict

Default Stamp storage

I store my stamps in a scrapbook cart that I got at Container Store (no affiliatioin). It has 6 shelves and each shelf has a lidded container that slides into it. The whole thing is on casters which make it easy to move around when I want to rearrange the craft room.

I sort my stamps by category - flowers, trees & leaves, holidays & special occasions, words, critters, other. I don't worry about keeping the sets together. I use most of the larger boxes for pencil and pen storage (also in drawers in a unit that's on casters.

When I get new stamps I stamp the image onto transparency sheets with permanent ink, make a note of the manufacturer and the name of the stamp and code numbers, if those are present on the stamp. I keep the transparencies in a binder, sorted by category (same as the stamps). When I'm planning a project I pull the binder and use the images on the sheets to decide which stamp to use and how to place it. Works nicely! I've also been known to take the binder with me to stamp shows so I can make sure that I'm not duplicating stamps that I already have and to get sizes and designs that go with what I already have. sab
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Talking Organization Freak

OK - so here is my organizational run down - I am an SU! demo, so the first thing I do is separate retired and current sets, then by size, all alphas and backgrounds together. HOstess sets together. Then by type - sentiments, flowers, kids, holiday, etc.: My husband and I purchased kitchen wall cabinets for my craft room (along with 4 drawer kitchen floor cabinets, which have 3" deep drawers, making them perfect for my stuff!) The wall cabinets are just deep enough to fit the largest SU! stamp storage cases. HOpe this helps!! mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabknitsView Post
I store my stamps in a scrapbook cart that I got at Container Store (no affiliatioin). It has 6 shelves and each shelf has a lidded container that slides into it. The whole thing is on casters which make it easy to move around when I want to rearrange the craft room.

I sort my stamps by category - flowers, trees & leaves, holidays & special occasions, words, critters, other. I don't worry about keeping the sets together. I use most of the larger boxes for pencil and pen storage (also in drawers in a unit that's on casters.

When I get new stamps I stamp the image onto transparency sheets with permanent ink, make a note of the manufacturer and the name of the stamp and code numbers, if those are present on the stamp. I keep the transparencies in a binder, sorted by category (same as the stamps). When I'm planning a project I pull the binder and use the images on the sheets to decide which stamp to use and how to place it. Works nicely! I've also been known to take the binder with me to stamp shows so I can make sure that I'm not duplicating stamps that I already have and to get sizes and designs that go with what I already have. sab
What a GREAT idea with the transparencies. But they are SO expensive!!

Do you have a picture of the cart?

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Basket Trays from Target

I found some very sturdy tray baskets from Target. Slide these in pantry type cabinets with extra shelving cut to fit. Each basket is a "category" and still organizing that and stamp sets are on their side with the name up. I keep a copy of the set in the shell as well as card fronts or color copies of anything I'm especially happy with or have found on this site that I want to try.

I also keep a three ring binder above my work area with copies of each set and not SU set to remind me of the stamps I have as well as the stamps a fellow stampin addict owns (her's are copied on white paper, mine on a color, my daughters on another color)

Like some of the ideas here and am reorganizing as the collection continues to grow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been storing my stamp sets in those wooden shoe cubbies (I think they have 9 spaces for shoes, some have more, some less). Most of the sets fit very nicely in there. I have them on their sides, and I label the sides so I can see them. The big sets are the problem but on one of the cubbies that I bought (get them at Target, WalMart) I pulled out one of the horizontal shelves and made the cubbie holes twice as bit. So the big sets fit into those slots just fine. I also moved some of my big sets to smaller boxes, because some just didn't need a great big box like they came in. I don't have a ton of sets (well it seems like a ton to me but to some of you people, its not) but it works fine. Backgrounds fit in there too, but I'm probably going to move them to a shelf now because I can use the room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

Lightbulb Here's an idea I am trying...

I am keeping a reference note book with stamped images of my stamp sets. Here's what I do:

When I get a new set, I stamp a page of all the stamps included in that set on a piece of paper, note the set name on the page and assign it a number.

Put that number on the stamp set box also. Put it on your shelf in numerical order or in bins with designated numbers. Since I am blessed with many roll around bins from a previous adventure, I use them for stamps now. I label my bins with the range of numbers are in them. I have a huge work surface I got for free from where I used to work so the bins live under there out of my way.

When I look for a christmas tree, etc. I just look through my binder and see a stamp I want to use, find the bin and stamp set with that number and pull it out of the bin. This way I can compare images without having to drag out all of my stamps. This is also great for crops and open workshops. Customers can find images they want to use without me having to go through my stamps. Time may change my method as my collection grows, but for now, it works.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Okay, I just spent three days organizing my stamp sets....@ 135 sets--I first stamped each set onto plain copy paper, then I sorted by flowers, nature, sentiments, ect. I put the copies of each category into three ring binder, separating each section by a different piece of colored cardstock. I then punched circles from all the different colored cardstock (the same colors I used for each category in my binder) and taped the appropriate color to the inside of the case (on one of the sides) and then I store them in large baskets on wire-metal shelves (the kind they use in commerical kitchens). I then tied ribbon of the matching color to the handles of the baskets. Maybe sounds confusing, but is working great for me. So now when I know I want to use a flower set, I look through my three ring binder in the flower section (which is Green Galore) find the set that I want to use and then go to the basket with the green ribbons tied to the handle and quite easily find the set I am looking for. Each basket holds @ 18 - 20 sets. By having the color code (punched CS cirle) on the case, it makes it easier to make sure it gets put back into the right basket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Right now my SU! sets are in a dresser. I have 3 drawers filled and am quickly running out of room there. I need to come up with something better! All my non-SU! stamps are thrown in a couple boxes right now... they'll also be organized better at some point!
Reply With Quote Likes