Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping with little 'uns?

My daughter is 8. I love her to death. She is also an avid stamper. I enjoy stamping with her most of the time, too.

How many of you have kids who stamp with you? How old are they?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

My niece stamps with me. She is 7 now. She's been stamping with me for a couple of years now and loves it. My 11 year old niece likes to stamp too when she visits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

My sweet little granddaughter who was almost 5 came to spend two weeks with me last summer...she was so much fun to stamp with..even though she dropped a stamp that was inked with black stazon on to her new outfit from grandma...she has a perfect (upside down puppy on her shirt) Grandma should have known better..but no worries...it was cute. I had two identical desks in my stamp room and she declared the second desk hers and told me nobody should be sitting there when she isnt here....We made some cards for her to send home to her mom and other grandma. I miss her so much. Anyway, wonder if she will notice her desk is missing next time she visits...I revamped my stamp room and sold the desk...YIKES...I just might be in some hot water..'
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

My older daughter just turned 6 earlier this month and is my stamping pal. She has her own stamps and ink pads, but she's allowed to use mine as long as I'm with her. She's a cardmaker like me too and loves to make cards for her friends and family. I just got my Pink Slice the other day and plugged it in to charge and she's very excited to use that too.
Wish RAK Mentor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have three kids who like to stamp, too. They are 13, 11 and 6 (two girls and one boy.) I think my enthusiasm is contagious because I'm always showing them a new card I've made and then they want to make a card, too. My oldest daughter just turned 13 and decided that she wanted to make thank-you cards for all of her gifts. I was so tickled

My blog - Don't Crimp My Style
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

My son will be 3 this weekend. He love to do "activities" with me. I figured I needed to start him early
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Wow, what a thread. I have two grandsons-ages 4 and 2. We have our craft days, and it is ever so much fun! We stamp, play with play dough, color with markers, pencils, and crayons. They really enjoy their time crafting. I purchased Thomas and other train stamps that they use the most. We use kid friendly stamp pads. Colors have been contaminated, but who cares, we are making memories!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

do husbands count as little ones? I mean I gotta make food for him, clean up after him, and he does come and play paper, scissors, and glue with me occasionally....

On a side note, Jennifer McQuire always has video of her son crafting with her, so cute! can't wait to do that myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughters are 9 and 12. They've both stamped with me since I started five years ago. At first, they required a lot of supervision. They've both come a long way since then, and are now trusted with my supplies even if I'm not in the room with them. I used to really worry about them "using up" various supplies, especially patterned paper, rhinestones, ribbon, etc. But then I realized that I have sooooo much of everything that it's not really possible to use it up. So I relaxed about it and we're all a lot happier. They come up with some really neat things. My 9 year old makes little things for friends and teachers fairly often. For awhile it was bookmarks; lately it's little tiny cards (about 2x2 inches). Fun!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

my DD is 4 and stamps with me all the time She is allowed to use my stuff as long as I am sitting with her otherwise she does have her own that she is allowed to use all the time. She is an unofficial member of my hostess club too!! She pulls up a chair and makes all the projects with us every month.....she's pretty good too ;)

My SUO Blog~Merry Stamps
My blog~ Merry Musings

Do you love Tastefully Simple?? Click HERE for fabulous recipes and to browse the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

My Niece, who I watch during the week, is three and she stamps with me. I put her little table and chairs next to my table, she has her own stamps and ink. But she loves when I punch out shapes and she can glue stick them to her cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't have kids but I remember my mom getting me a stamp kit when i was about 7, I loved it it was so fun! I even remember embossing with the help of my mom and the iron. I even found some of my old stamps the otherday, it brought back great memories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My daughter learned to read and spell starting at 3 years old with alphabet stamps. She would stamp out a word, like "Cat" and the stamp a cat stamp and color it. We would do that for hours everyday. (Well, I would make cards.) She started kindergarten way ahead because of stamping! LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

3 wee folks, 10, 6 and 3. they all LOVE stamping, they have their own sets and get to share mine if I'm with them, little 6 year old lassie is particularly good, she's a finisher, 10 yr old starts things but doesn't always finish and the wee guy loves to stamp on himself...lol! any colour so long as it's blue!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I have a 5 year old niece and she loves to come to aunt mimi's and "scrapbook". She had her own set of colored pencils, stamps, markers and deco scissors, I recently got her punching too. She made all the adults in her life happy easter cards (for her I pick up the set of 10 cards and envelopes at the dollar store) the front is a solid color then she adds her own touch
Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I have three kids ages 11, 8 and 4 who enjoy stamping with me. The boys not so much anymore, but my 4 year old daughter loves to set up camp right beside me and "help" me make cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I started stamping when my kids were both really little. From about the age of 5 or 6, my daughter started going with me to Stampin Up workshops(when I was a customer.). Now, having been a demo for 5 years, and my DD is 13, she is a stamper as well as my assistant at my events. She even helps explain how to do things if I am busy assisting someone else. She also helps me pack up everything! Now I have my 11yr old son helping me now and then. She has her own desk and supplies in my room, and honestly, she treats me things better than some adults, but then again, I trained her to be that way. I love the time that I get to spend with her doing this and would be lost without her. It has gotten easier as she has gotten older...less messy too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #18  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 613 Likes on 432 Posts

My younger boys (10 and 5) stamp. The older one not as much as my little one. But he did design his birthday invite last year. He did a better job than I would have. My younger one loves to make and send cards to his grandmothers. My 16 year old son made a few cards for his girlfriend. My 3 year old niece has been making cards too. I stamp her images and she colors them, then we stick them to cards. My brother got a nice PINK riley card recently. She used bricklayer riley and colored him all one color--PINK! She only uses one color per image, they are so cute. I need to buy more postage stamps to mail all her cards! We have a lot of fun and that is what matters. I am always looking on bst here and clearance at the stores to add to their bucket of supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

My 5 year old son loves spending time in the studio with me. He is an amazing artist and he is so creative. My DD is 3 and she is more interested in messing. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My five year old nephew and three year old niece stamp with me when I visit, or when they come over. They have their very own Melissa and Doug stamp set with crappy ink pads. <grin> But I also share my clear stamps with them, and my good ink pads too. My nephew loves to stamp a few cars all in a row, and then he puts red on them (crayon or paint) so they are "on fire" and then he surrounds them with blue circles (water bombs). They also enjoy punching out "flowers" (scalloped circles) with the Marvy punches (they punch thin printer paper so it is not too difficult to press the punch. They also like to cut strips of (thin printer) paper with the paper trimmer. And they both LOVE LOVE LOVE stickles!!! The last time they visited, I gave my niece a bottle of pink stickles and my nephew a bottle of blue stickles. <grin>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

My dd and ds had stamps in hand at the age of two!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

My daughter is 4 1/2 and LOVES to stamp!! She is allowed to use my stuff, as long as she has someone down there with her. She also has some of her own stamps that she can use whenever. I love hearing the stories when her daddy has to stamp with her. "Mommy, daddy has no idea where anything goes." She usually has to show him the ropes- I guess I tought her well?? :-) I enjoy stamping with her....except for when she has a tantrum if something does not turn out how she wanted. Anyone else have stamping tantrums???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

My daughter is 3 yr 9 months and she loves to come stamp with me. I decided to set her up her own little table, and buy her dollar stamps and a few blocks and those kid ink pads and kid markers that all wash off easily. She gets up there and starts doing just like mommy, it is cute! The 9 month old however just wants to be held and rarely can sit and play by himself longer than about 20 minutes, so I don't get much done at one time unless one or both of them are asleep. I think my daughter is going to be quite the creative one though, and it will be interesting to see how she develops her skill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jexterraView Post
I enjoy stamping with her....except for when she has a tantrum if something does not turn out how she wanted. Anyone else have stamping tantrums???
lol I was wondering the exact same thing! My dd is 7 and tends to wear my patience a little thin. By the end of a "stamping session" I'm usually ready for a mental breakdown!

Right now she can only use my supplies with supervision, but I've started collecting supplies of her own for her to use any time.

Do you do planned crafts with them? Or do they just do their own thing beside you? I love that my daughter wants to be artistic and express herself ... we just end up in tantrums over things that don't look the way she wanted, because of course she didn't do it how I told her to, etc. Makes sharing my crafting time with her less enjoyable.

My 3 year old son however LOVES my Big Shot. I recently had to do 300 die cuts for a wedding invitation project. I showed him how to layout the pieces on the platform and he amused himself for hours turning the little crank. He also steals my punches ("pinches" as he calls them) hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Crafting with children gives them self confidence, worth and much love. It's pretty easy to give them crafting items but to craft with them you are giving of yourself. I have 4 grandchildren. 2 of each kind! My oldest did a lot of scrapbooking with me. They all have their own books. Also it's so neat to see their reactions when they look at their books. After all they are seeing themselves from a small child to present. I have scrapbooked drawings of theirs and little notes they would leave me. I have one grand daughter's name from the first time she ever wrote it. I mean these are memories that will last a lifetime for them. I am so blessed the good Lord let me have them in my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

When my husband and I got married 6 years ago my stepdaughter made a scrapbook of herself using the pictures that her dad had of her. I helped get her started and it really helped bond us - I got to learn about her history before I knew her. She is going to have her sweet 16 in a few weeks and we made her invitations with my mom helping us too.
My 3 year old daughter also loves to stamp. She has her own set of ink spots and can use any stamp she wants as long as I'm around. But her most favorite thing to do is to glue punched pieces onto her paper and then stamp on and around them. It's messy but she loves it and it keeps her occupied. My son is 19 months and I think he'll have to wait until he's about 3 to start. He hasn't learned how to share yet and daughter will have a meltdown if he tried to take something she was working on!

http://karlastamplab.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

My kids are 7 and 5, and they have been stamping with me since they could hold stamps in their hands. I don't even think they know you can buy cards in a store...they always make their own!
My 7 yo just fininshed his research project last night, and you guessed it...he used stamps combined with drawings for images on his poster. I love that my kids are crafty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

My Ds is only 26 months old, and has serious diffuculties with communication (verbal and non-verbal) so I have no idea when I will be able to start allowing him to play (papercrafts) with me. I spoke to his therapist recently about my desire to allow him in my craft room and how him easy stuff (even just coloring images)- but she doesn't recommend it yet. I tend to agree. He only recently learned how to color on paper and it was a big milestone (just scribble)- so now we do that everyday (at home) and then weekly with a therapist.

I am so looking forward to him being physical able to follow enough instructions to play a little with me in the craft room.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
My daughters are 9 and 12. They've both stamped with me since I started five years ago. At first, they required a lot of supervision. They've both come a long way since then, and are now trusted with my supplies even if I'm not in the room with them. I used to really worry about them "using up" various supplies, especially patterned paper, rhinestones, ribbon, etc. But then I realized that I have sooooo much of everything that it's not really possible to use it up. So I relaxed about it and we're all a lot happier. They come up with some really neat things. My 9 year old makes little things for friends and teachers fairly often. For awhile it was bookmarks; lately it's little tiny cards (about 2x2 inches). Fun!
This is me, too! My girls are 11 and 8 and they are sooooo creative that sometimes they put me to shame! After a while of monitoring what they use, I finally decided that it's only paper! And, as we all know, there will ALWAYS be more paper that appeals to us - it's not like the world is going to run out any time soon..LOL

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

My boys are 3 and 5 and we have been "doing craft time" together for two years now. I HAD to get them into it so I have time to do stuff. I am not a night owl so I don't like crafting after they go to bed.

They stamp sometimes, I'm actually out of washable ink so they are not stamping lately. They like to "do scissors" and they will cut all sorts of shapes then glue them back together to "make a card" and such. Or they just stand there and cut and cut and cut. Till there is a huge pile of small pieces of paper. Sometimes they color a bunch or "write". They love my punches.

Oh mine also sort all my buttons for me! I had them all mixed in huge tins but got glass jars and the boys totally sorted hundreds of buttons into colors for me!

Interestingly my 5 year old has a GREAT eye for cards. Often I'm making a card and he will say, "It needs something just here" and he's right! Or he will say, "I really like how the yellow and gray contrast but are still both soft" or something genious like that.

5 year old is in preschool. Every day they do this crazy activity where they cut out a bunch of shapes drawn on a piece of paper. he excells at this activity. Today I was in there with 3 year old and he did one too and even he was right on par with the other kids in class.

But mostly it's selfish for me, so I can have craft time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

My daughter will be 6 next month. She is our only child. I started scrapbooking and stamping just after she was born. The first couple of years I worked on projects after she went to bed. When she was around three, she took one of my scrapbooks off the shelf and started carefully looking at it, actually "oohing" and "aahing" about every little thing on the pages. At that point, I set up her own little desk and chair (right beside mine) and started collecting inexpensive tools of the trade for her. The desk and chairs are actually the ones her Daddy used when he was very young. She now has her own stamps, ink pads, colored pencils, markers, punches and all kinds of embellishments. She is more of a card maker at this point, making them for everyone, even if there's no special occasion. When my Creating Keepsakes magazine arrives each month, she and I pore over it together, thinking of new projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #32  
Inking Addict

I have six children, grown now, but I always let them work with me. It has paid off because they are so much better at things than I am. We just got our 14th grandbaby, and I hope she is like her cousins and sisters and knows that Grandma's craft room is always open. How else are we going to teach them creativity?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #33  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My teenage daughter likes to stamp with me, but my son is a punch kind of kid! He loves to use my scrap paper and my punches to make all kinds of cards and then he sends them to his grandparents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Default SU die cut stamp leftovers

I forgot to say that when SU! started die cutting their stamp sets, I kept the leftover rubber. My daughter uses it to draw perfect circles, rectangles, squares, flowers, etc., depending on what stamp set it's from--effective and indestructible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

my little guy is also 3 and he loves to "make a card with me".
A few weeks ago he climbed in bed with us and I asked what he wanted to do that day. He said play with daddy and make a card with you.
I wish creativity had been nurtured more when I was younger --- it wasn't until I was "grown-up" that I realized I could be creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My DD could care less but can scrap if she feels like it.. lol
Her DD(10) - my grand loves to stamp and scrap with me. She is picking up stuff in art class and can help me learn a few things too, just doesn't know the names of tools/techniques we use.
her son isnt interested he's 8. rather play air hockey!! LOL
My DIL is learning to both stamp and scrap
her girls 8,4 love to stamp and scrap when I will let them have some simple things to use. I was able to get some acid free construction paper so they are fine using that. lots of glue ges used with these two!! LOL
Thye will get the hang of it eventually but are having fun now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Mt 7 year old boy has stamped for two years. The day after I have a class, he makes all the projects if i have leftovers. He also makes projects out of scraps on my floor. I wish i were half as creative as he is. He prefers punch art to stamping.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #38  
Inking Addict

My dd(almost 4) loves to stamp with me. She loves die cuts, and glueing(sp?) them to papers, knows the name of most tools I use. She really loves to use my big shot, and gets mad when I try to help her. My son (11) use to be a lot more interested, but alas, really just likes football now. He loves the projects I make, though, and tells his friends I make our cards. They are amazed, and like when I give them handmade cards. I really think my dd will be pretty creative, or at least I hope so. DH can draw well, and I think she just inherited the creative gene. I really look forward to scrapping and stamping even more as she gets older.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

My DD is 4. She LOVES stamping (especially with the clear stamps so she can see what she's doing) and she loves to color images. She likes my markers, LOL, and lately she's done pastels with q-tips. She does a great job!

Oh, and she loves brads and setting eyelets. She actually has pretty good hammer aim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

My 8 year old daughter loves to play with my toys! She helps me punch, loves my Big Shot and has a drawer of her own paper, stamps and ink. She loves to make cards and started scrapbooking last summer. Although sometimes I don't get much done when we are together, it is a great way to spend some girl time just hanging out and sharing our projects with each other.
Reply With Quote Likes