Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #281  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontanaView Post
You've been busy, and you are very good at keeping track of what you have made. So far mine have been all cards, and one altered item. I am too lazy to figure out percentages, so I just wait until I have $20 worth and then add it in. I have big plans to do Target mailboxes and Hershey's nuggets for Valentines day, but I have yet to start.

By the way... What are drop spine boxes?
Sorry I've taken ages to reply I must have missed your comments so I do apologise Anne.

I found these drop spine boxes on The scrapbook lounge on craft tv weekly (or just tv weekly as it's now called) and they are perfect for storing things in - I made 2 for my ribbons and a third as part of a box set of notecards for a mother's day present. This is the link: http://sbl.tvweekly.com/player.php?9...c55f50d188x443

I love how sturdy they are and you can just make them so pretty. I'll have to upload some photos of mine sometime.

Vannessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #282  
Mad Swapper

[quote=stamptician;8086577]
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
Wow, so did I. Spent a ridiculous amount of money. Only God knows when or if I could ever use up all the supplies I have. Not to mention I purchased 3 of the "big guns" this year: Cricut, Cuttlebug, Design Runner, and the cartridges, embossing folders and other ammunition to make them work. I love the tools but, I can't believe I did this. And on top of that I'm a true hobbyist demo and I buy my minimums. So, I've got stamps, scrappin' kits, inks, etc. I want to do this budget thing but, I also have to commit to staying out of the LSS and just buying my supplies from SU. Cause I just can't give up SU. So, I have to come up with a # that will allow me too spend $100 a month on SU. This should be interesting.
/
wow, you have a lot of big toys. i get overwelmed with too many gadgets. I try to keep them to a minium. Now, my stamp set collection is another story...... I guess that is my weekness.
I like the budgeting idea. Maybe I can even trade or sell some of my less used sets to bring up my spending money.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #283  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Yes, SAB is going to be a killer! I am almost out of the red, but I have a $150 order ready. I guess I need to get down to business!
Me too!!! I just went thru the book and my order is over $200.... dude, I'm in trouble! :rolleyes:

On a more positive note, I got 3 valentine's done this weekend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #284  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I did really good this weekend! I was able to get away for the weekend and go to SU Regionals!!! I spent the weekend in LA with a friend who took me all over to scrapbooking stores. Knowing that I was starting this challenge on Feb 1st, I thought I did really well and didn't impulse buy I live in ID in a very small town and we don't really have any place to shop for supplies. I have to drive an hour to the near stamping/scrapbooking supply store. Anyhow...I thought $10.75 wasn't bad, even though I'm in the red:( I better get to stamping!
I hope all of you have a great week...and thanks for this fabulous challenge!
Hugs,
Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #285  
Polyshrink Goddess

$10.75 isn't bad at all - you can make that up in no time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #286  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmetelkoView Post
$10.75 isn't bad at all - you can make that up in no time!
I'm working on making it up I did 6 cards today. I have to wait until I get back home to "finish" them. I don't have sahara sand ink of any kind with me...grr. Where in So Cal are you? I've been here (San Diego/San Marcos) for the last month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #287  
Mad Swapper

I was bad today, I got the huge set of Prismas at Mike's. The 150 set I think? Now I don't even remember1 :confused: I did use a coupon tho!!

I plan on cranking out some major cards now that I have them though...that'll help me recoup from my debt! I'm going to do an all occasion card set for my sister...plus a box for them to go in....that's what, like $15 right there??? :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #288  
Kookie Creator

I hope this hasn't already been asked, but are we supposed to 'reset' our numbers for the new month or do we just keep on adding onto our Jan. stuff?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #289  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm planning to keep at it all year. Since I'm doing that, I've just kept adding to my January stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #290  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by karcher70View Post
I was bad today, I got the huge set of Prismas at Mike's. The 150 set I think? Now I don't even remember1 :confused: I did use a coupon tho!!

I plan on cranking out some major cards now that I have them though...that'll help me recoup from my debt! I'm going to do an all occasion card set for my sister...plus a box for them to go in....that's what, like $15 right there??? :rolleyes:
Not to be an enabler...but...did you get some OMS and blender stumps to go with your pencils? OK...nobody shoot me...but I was able to try out the copics at my friends house over the weekend and I wasn't impressed. I played and played and tried to blend and tried to wow myself and that didn't happen. The prismacolor pencils is still my favorite way to color
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #291  
Hardware Hotshot

Aaaaaahhh...I'm in the hole again! Glad to see I have some company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #292  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcstView Post
Aaaaaahhh...I'm in the hole again! Glad to see I have some company.
Oh my gawsh...you've made 258 cards??? You go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #293  
Polyshrink Goddess

Only $15 left in my bank, so I guess I need to get to work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 03:03 AM   #294  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
I don't know about everybody else, but I'm planning to keep at it all year. Since I'm doing that, I've just kept adding to my January stuff.
I plan to do the same. It doesn't really give me a good picture if I start it over each month. Besides, once I place my SAB order, it will take me at least a month to get out of the red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 04:02 AM   #295  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangegymnutView Post
Not to be an enabler...but...did you get some OMS and blender stumps to go with your pencils? OK...nobody shoot me...but I was able to try out the copics at my friends house over the weekend and I wasn't impressed. I played and played and tried to blend and tried to wow myself and that didn't happen. The prismacolor pencils is still my favorite way to color
I bought the Mona Lisa OMS and blender stumps last week :rolleyes:

I had every intention of just buying the single pencils in the colors I needed...of course, no one stocks all the colors. I checked out Dick Blick Online, and the shipping was pretty high, so I just bit the bullet and got the set from Mike's with a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #296  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I bought the Mona Lisa OMS and blender stumps last week :rolleyes:

I had every intention of just buying the single pencils in the colors I needed...of course, no one stocks all the colors. I checked out Dick Blick Online, and the shipping was pretty high, so I just bit the bullet and got the set from Mike's with a coupon!
I couldn't find Mona Lisa/Gamsol OMS in my teeny tiny town so I was using OMS from the paint section at walmart...ugh...it kept giving me an instant headache so I had to stop. I started using Mineral Oil and it worked well but took time to blend. I spent the weekend with a friend in L.A. and she had me tried Mona Lisa OMS and wow, what a difference! I love it! She sent me home with some My favorite blending stumps (I have several types) are the ones Em (from stamping bella) sells. They are fabulous! I hope you enjoy your pencils...I just love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 05:00 AM   #297  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I keep telling myself that the point of this exercise is AWARENESS of spending habits. I signed up as a SU! demo last week, put the money into my signature figures, and now I kind of regret doing that. However, I want to see how this all really plays out. I bought some stuff from SU to have a blow-out, invite-everyone-I-know, introductory workshop, plus I made my last trip to the regional LSS yesterday. I'm putting all that money into the signature figures because I want to really see the truth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 05:20 AM   #298  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

My favorite blending stumps (I have several types) are the ones Em (from stamping bella) sells. They are fabulous! I hope you enjoy your pencils...I just love mine!
I broke out my new toys last night and I'm in loooooove! I think I need better blending stumps tho. I'll check out Em's! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to post the 2 cards later that I did last night with them. They are so pretty!!

I also managed to do Roxie's sketch challenge last night too...so 3 more cards when into my total! Woo hoo! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #299  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I broke out my new toys last night and I'm in loooooove! I think I need better blending stumps tho. I'll check out Em's! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to post the 2 cards later that I did last night with them. They are so pretty!!

I also managed to do Roxie's sketch challenge last night too...so 3 more cards when into my total! Woo hoo! :p
Yeah! I'm glad you like them. I love them as well. The main thing with the stumps is to get the ones from Taiwan. I've bought ones from China that look like the ones from Taiwan and they just don't work as well. I don't know where Em gets the ones she sells but I know I know I've seen threads on here for buying stump groups (I think I'm saying the right thing). They are inexpensive from her, but shipping from Canada is expensive.

I'll have to take a peek in your gallery I did one card for the sketch challenge yesterday. Haven't posted it yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 AM   #300  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CicicaraView Post
I keep telling myself that the point of this exercise is AWARENESS of spending habits. I signed up as a SU! demo last week, put the money into my signature figures, and now I kind of regret doing that. However, I want to see how this all really plays out. I bought some stuff from SU to have a blow-out, invite-everyone-I-know, introductory workshop, plus I made my last trip to the regional LSS yesterday. I'm putting all that money into the signature figures because I want to really see the truth!
Hang in there! Mine will go skewed too, once I put in a SU! order.

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #301  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I've noticed several posts/signature lines where people are oopsing/stressing because they are in the red for this challenge. I think the point of this was to help us use up some of our stash, and think about our spending habits. I KNOW I'm going to up in the red during SAB, and I don't want to end up stressing about it. Since I've challenged myself to keep track all year, I am keeping a running total. I have decided that it doesn't matter if I go in the red periodically during the year; my goal is to make sure I'm in the black when Dec. 31st rolls around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #302  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

I am not sure I am reporting amounts correctly, but it feels logical to me. I am in the red so everytime I earn money, I make that amount smaller. Seem logical to you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #303  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorothyjaneView Post
I am not sure I am reporting amounts correctly, but it feels logical to me. I am in the red so everytime I earn money, I make that amount smaller. Seem logical to you?
Makes sense to me. I see that you're way ahead of me for making cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #304  
Polyshrink Goddess

With my spending I figure that this is just a good way for me to keep track. I am sure that I'll spend more than make more by the end of the year, but it will be nice to know how close I am to keeping up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 AM   #305  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

With my spending I figure that this is just a good way for me to keep track. I am sure that I'll spend more than make more by the end of the year, but it will be nice to know how close I am to keeping up!
Good point. I feel the same way.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #306  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
I've noticed several posts/signature lines where people are oopsing/stressing because they are in the red for this challenge. I think the point of this was to help us use up some of our stash, and think about our spending habits. I KNOW I'm going to up in the red during SAB, and I don't want to end up stressing about it. Since I've challenged myself to keep track all year, I am keeping a running total. I have decided that it doesn't matter if I go in the red periodically during the year; my goal is to make sure I'm in the black when Dec. 31st rolls around.

I agree with you on this. It has also motivated me to make more using my stash of stuff and put in the gallery too! I'm excited about the challenge because it helps me to remember not to just buy what I like but once I put it away, to use it. Will I ever be in the black? Who knows! This is the only area (besides shoes) that I spend money in a fashion that I consider to be frivolous (aka saw it, loved it, bought it) but the challenge helps me to be creative, not just dream of being creative. I force myself to make time for my hobby and for me!

pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #307  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ok...so question here. Today I was out shopping with the MIL...(she is such an enabler!) and I bought one of those OTT-Lite's (the natural light lamps). I was wondering...is that considered to be in my "spending"??? It's not really a tool to stamp with etc...thoughts and opinions please
I also got the cropadile Finally, I am in love with that thing! Oh and I went to this fabulous stamp store out here in CA called The Stamp Addict...oh my gawsh! They had the cutest stamps ever and the best sentiments!
I've convinced MIL to make her hubby a Valentine's Card when he's at work this week
Hugs,
Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #308  
Die Cut Diva

This thread has got me thinking about how I spend my money as well. I know there are a few SU retired sets that I reallywant and I have been looking on ebay and I said I will only soend a certain amount on them and I am constantly getting out bid, but I went to my LSS and they were having a fleamarket today and don't you know that I found like 2 of the 10 sets that I wanted and they were only $10 each. So thinking about what I was bidding on Ebay plus s&h, i saved myself like $25, which is good for me because then I would have to make twice as many cards as I will now. I find myself looking for better deals as well. I got a bottle of stickles ice, the one I really love and use a ton for $.50 when in my LSS is is $3.50 so saving $3.00 is pretty good on my pocketbook, I still got what I wanted and needed and I saved so that I can start getting into the black again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #309  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by pammersView Post
I agree with you on this. It has also motivated me to make more using my stash of stuff and put in the gallery too! I'm excited about the challenge because it helps me to remember not to just buy what I like but once I put it away, to use it. Will I ever be in the black? Who knows! This is the only area (besides shoes) that I spend money in a fashion that I consider to be frivolous (aka saw it, loved it, bought it) but the challenge helps me to be creative, not just dream of being creative. I force myself to make time for my hobby and for me!

pam
Another good point. The challenge is about making me use my stash of supplies and about making me be creative, not just DREAM of being creative. This is also one area I "saw it, loved it, bought it".

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #310  
Mad Swapper

Whew! I locked myself in my room and cranked out 12 cards and 3 gift bags yesterday! Creeping up outta the red....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #311  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Ok...so question here. Today I was out shopping with the MIL...(she is such an enabler!) and I bought one of those OTT-Lite's (the natural light lamps). I was wondering...is that considered to be in my "spending"??? It's not really a tool to stamp with etc...thoughts and opinions please
I also got the cropadile Finally, I am in love with that thing! Oh and I went to this fabulous stamp store out here in CA called The Stamp Addict...oh my gawsh! They had the cutest stamps ever and the best sentiments!
I've convinced MIL to make her hubby a Valentine's Card when he's at work this week
Hugs,
Tanya

I guess we can all interpret it however we want. I think that if I find the need to buy any new tools, I will count them in my total. I wondered about items to alter (tins, notebooks, etc.) and decided to put them in my total. If I ever get around to altering them, I will have to figure out how to count it.

On another note, I am proud to report that despite having the Sunday coupons in the car, I was able to drive right by AC Moore today! As you can see, I'm in the red with SAB, so I need to continue to resist the urge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #312  
Matboard Maniac

yeah!! I am finally in the black today! I just finished 21 cards tonight and have about 10 more that are prepped and will be finished when I use my background stamps! (I am weired...only bring out so many things at one time...)

I have a bunch of scrapping stuff laid out and have done 3 layouts in the past week and am ready to get a few more finished.

I have to hurry and get lots done b/c I have to have a super cleaning time soon for a Lia Sophia party in 2 weeks....all my scrapping is on half my dining room table so I can get things done while the kids play or eat or do waterpainting in their highchairs....but I need to be finished so I can feel good about putting it away for the party cleaning!

I will have to upload soon the cards and layouts that I have finished!

I am so glad that I am doing this !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #313  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I guess we can all interpret it however we want. I think that if I find the need to buy any new tools, I will count them in my total. I wondered about items to alter (tins, notebooks, etc.) and decided to put them in my total. If I ever get around to altering them, I will have to figure out how to count it.

On another note, I am proud to report that despite having the Sunday coupons in the car, I was able to drive right by AC Moore today! As you can see, I'm in the red with SAB, so I need to continue to resist the urge.

After much thinking...I decided to take the light out of my total. Since it's not a tool that is used to make cards with or used to do any type of embellishing with...and only used to help me see, I decided that's it's really not in what my I would consider my "play" money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #314  
Watercolor Wizard

Tanya,
Don't ask me why, but I had light box in my head. I can plainly see that you wrote Ott light in your post. I definitely wouldn't count the Ott light.
Now, could I borrow the lamp to see where my brains went?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 AM   #315  
Insane Embellisher

I agree that it is a great way to keep tabs on the impulse buying. I have checked myself countless times since starting this to keep from "stocking up" on random stuff. And I agree w/ the post about forcing myself to make time for my hobby. I made more cards in a month and a half than I did all year last year (minus wedding thank-yous). It is very encouraging. And awesome to know I am actually using stuff up. Now I need to come up a with a challenge for actually SENDING the cards I make. maybe a dollar for every three I send..... If I could exercise like Lynn, I could go hobby demo! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #316  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've made tons more cards this year already, also! My problem is trying to keep ahead now. I figure if I make the card it should be there on time, too. I just sent my last valentine's out Monday - probably won't make it! However, I'm starting St. Patrick's Day now!
This challenge does make me think twice and try to use my stash - which is huge!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #317  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

I've made tons more cards this year already, also! My problem is trying to keep ahead now. I figure if I make the card it should be there on time, too. I just sent my last valentine's out Monday - probably won't make it! However, I'm starting St. Patrick's Day now!
This challenge does make me think twice and try to use my stash - which is huge!!!!!
Congrats on making and SENDING out your Valentine's Day cards!!! For years, I have had the best intentions of doing a little something for my buddies at work and just never got around to it! This year, I actually made something! I made little boxes and decorated them with the Happy Heart Day elephant and tag stamp, used some great paper and filled them with Giradelli dark chocolate and Smashbox lipgloss. They loved the boxes more than the lipgloss!!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #318  
Mad Swapper

You ladies are making me feel better about the fact that my numbers are a bit out of whack since I splurged and ordered a couple of sets of Nestabilities. I thought one of the sets wouldn't process until next month, so it messed things up a bit. Oh well, this has made me think about my purchases, so it's a good thing. I know I will soon be in the black again.

Smiles,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #319  
Watercolor Wizard

Yeh!!! I finally sat down last night and made 8 scrapbook layouts! It's just a matter of finding the time! I may still be in the red, but I'm working on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #320  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Yeh!!! I finally sat down last night and made 8 scrapbook layouts! It's just a matter of finding the time! I may still be in the red, but I'm working on it.
That's great. It takes a while to make 8 scrapbook layouts. Way to go!

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes