Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stamp Sets....how do you organize and store them????

Do you have them on shelves, in cubbies, what?

I'd like to get them all organized so they are easy to access and within reach when I'm ready to stamp.

Can't wait to hear all your brilliant ideas. :razz:

"Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west." Isaiah 43:5
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have a whole bunch of sets so mine are easy to organize. I have them like books in a book shelf, stickers facing out so I can see what's what. They're in a credenza that has two doors on either side of the open shelves in my stamp area so it holds lots of other stuff too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I label my boxes on the front edge with a label maker so I can easily see the names. Then I have them stacked on shelves. They are sorted by size and then stacked alphabetically. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

My current stamps (I am a demo) are stored bookcase style on 2 shelves above my desk. Retired sets that I still use are in a cabinet close by; Holiday stamps are stored in an iris cart. Nothing's put away too far from me, lol!

I do compartmentalize a bit...alphas together, sentiment sets together, then everything else. Within these categories the sets are alphabetical.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In their cases, on shelves, behind my work counter. Label faces outward, they are grouped according to category: nature, friendship, floral, masculine, alphas, sentiments, seasonal/holidays, celebrations/parties, all-occasion, backgrounds.

I would alphabetize them within those categories, but because they are stacked on top of each other, this can pose some balancing problems. ;) So, I just stack them by box size, larger on the bottom, smaller towards the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 07:29 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

Great question, I am always wondering how people store everything.. I am a very organized person, but I can't seem to organize my craft supplies so that I don't make a complete mess every time I craft!

I bought a plastic drawer container from BJs, it is rainbow and it is perfect, I took all my SU stamps out of their containers (aaahhh) and arranged all the stamps by category in each drawer. Each drawer is about 2 inches deep and it is perfect for one layer of stamps. I put the drawer right near my craft table and so far it is perfect!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I stamp each stamp set on a index file that is 5x5. I then place a letter on the index file and have plastic heavy duty organizational pieces with drawers. I place letters on each drawer and match the stamp set to the letter on the index card to the letter on the drawer. I also place a small letter on the box of the stamp set so when I take the set out of the drawer I know which drawer it goes back in. I am thinking of placing a sticker on the outside of the drawers that also say by name what set is in each drawer. I am a bit of an organizational freak!!!! I love to do it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 07:45 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I have found keeping them in categories helps me find them quicker. Like, flowers, birthday, alphabets, etc.
I like the drawers and I also have shelves. I'm not so organized, so a little bit of organization helps me tremendously!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my gosh, you guys have great ideas. I"m new to this all and since I am obsessed right now with collecting all these wonderful SU sets, I'm hoping to find a way to organize it all so I'm not spending half of time hunting a particular set or trying to keep my desk cleared so I have room to work : )

Thanks a million!

"Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west." Isaiah 43:5
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by misswendyk
I bought a plastic drawer container from BJs, it is rainbow and it is perfect, I took all my SU stamps out of their containers (aaahhh) and arranged all the stamps by category in each drawer. Each drawer is about 2 inches deep and it is perfect for one layer of stamps. I put the drawer right near my craft table and so far it is perfect!!
GAAA! You took them out of the containers?!!?? Won't lightining strike you soon? I'm really glad that works for you, but I think my stampin' OCD would kick in! :razz: Ok, I know for certain it would! I'm trying to ease myself into the idea of stacking my backgrounds together outside of their cases. Not there yet, but really it DOES make more sense!

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jennifer, you are hilarious!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #12  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them on shelves on my pegboard. They are in alphabetical order by box size but I do have a seperate spot for:
bg stamps
alphabets
verses/card insides

I keep my seasonal ones in an iris cart and rotate them out for the season.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
In their cases, on shelves, behind my work counter. Label faces outward, they are grouped according to category: nature, friendship, floral, masculine, alphas, sentiments, seasonal/holidays, celebrations/parties, all-occasion, backgrounds.

I would alphabetize them within those categories, but because they are stacked on top of each other, this can pose some balancing problems. ;) So, I just stack them by box size, larger on the bottom, smaller towards the top.

So, do you have a binder where you have stamped all of them? How do you organize that? I am still working on a binder, and so far I have it alphabetical. However, categories make sense. I see lots of people have letters and numbers to get them back where they belong. You just make sure that a Christmas set goes back in the Christmas area?

Oh, by the way, my stamp area is currently my dining room. My stamp sets are in plastic bins (and some are in SU boxes). I definitely do not recommend this idea. I am thinking that I need shelves. I just can't put them in my DR.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I have my stamps in their original boxes in an old storage dresser my dad had in his fabric store when I was a kid. The drawers are about two and a half inches deep. There are nine drawers so there is a lot of room for stamps and other assorted embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I keep mine in baskets with the name showing on top. I just like the way baskets look. However, I'm running out of room to put the baskets...sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have mine book style on shelves. I find it easier to access them and put them back. When I stack them I find it hard to get at them. I do write the name of the stamp set on masking tape so I can see it better. I find the labels SU has to small for me to see. I don't have any particular order for them but I try do store them by size of box.

Last week I did take my backgrounds out of the box because of the pretty picture in SS.

Funny thought I do work in a library. Strange I haven't at least alphabetized them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in the process of moving to an Unmounted system. Storing the sets in CD cases, stamping an index for the cover. I'malso working on making an index in a binder, based on type- flower, animals, words, backgrounds, etc. Having the binder is like having my own catalog of what I own, since I always seem to forget about something if it's stacked on the bottom.
I am amazed at the amount of room I am saving my storing them UM in the CD case! And CD storage units are cheap and easy to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have three nesting baskets which I laid on their side on the top shelf of a bookcase. My stamp sets which are current are all located in those baskets (small ones on top, mid size and large on bottom). Works great, I can see all the names with the labels on the outside. I also add to the labels with SAB or HOST so I know those sets are limited... My background stamps are always on the top of my desk - I only have two. Next month I will have about 9 more so I will have to come up with something. This bookcase is directly to the left of my desk (which is an old kitchen counter cabinet with a pull out workspace - found in my old houses' garage which I saved!) and the rest of the bookcase holds my inks, a box of ribbons and other random supplies. I just bought a labeler - so look out!

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Mine are out of the boxes and my walls are lined with stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #20  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenny4wheel
GAAA! You took them out of the containers?!!?? Won't lightining strike you soon? ...I think my stampin' OCD would kick in! ... I'm trying to ease myself into the idea of stacking my backgrounds together outside of their cases.
OMG-I was thinking the same thing! How would you know what stamps go where... with what set... It would FREAK me out. But I did take all my background stamps out of their box homes this past weekend - and labeled the ends!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jael
Mine are out of the boxes and my walls are lined with stamps.

I'd love for you to post a photo of this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
I am thinking that I need shelves. I just can't put them in my DR.
Whyever not? ;) Aren't you a dedicated stamper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Ha -- I categorize mine exactly the same as Julie, except in Iris carts underneath my stamping table (8-ft, I think)! There's a lot of unused space under that table that I couldn't let go to waste (plus, I don't have any other place to store them)! I have 4 carts, 3 drawers each FULL! Labels are on the front of each drawer, telling the category.

Then out of season, holiday & baby (my least used) sets are stored in another room in another 4-drawer Iris cart. The sets are stacked so I can see the sides/ends of the boxes with their names on them, alphabatized within category. If the sets are retired, they get bright red sticker on the end of the box, telling the year they retired -- but they stay with everyone else in that category.

Current mini catalog sets, along with Itty Bitty Backgrounds (I just read that thread, too, LOL!), stay stacked on the end of my stamp table, since I tend to use those the most during the current selling period.

HTH -- have fun organizing . . . you have a lot of great ideas here!

Last edited by StamperSharon; 03-27-2006 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I have mine all stacked on top of the white wire crates (Target, holds 12x12 papers) by size. I'm not a demo, so the retired ones are mixed in with the current ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I keep my stored on a 5 tier book shelf. I organize them by the size of the container they come in. It seems to work for me just fine.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I made a copy of the stamps before I mount them on the blocks, the whole page together. Then I have a notebook that has them numbered. I have that corresponding number on the stamp set itself. Then I can look at the picture in the notebook and go to the stamp with that number on it. I store the stamps in numerical order. The notebook is by category. As I add stamps I just keep going up in numbers. When, and if I retire a set, then I just put the new stamp picture with the old number. I have them stacked flat on books shelfs. I do have alphabets separate. I have over 90 stamps. Iknow that is not much for some, but this system helps when someone new is using my stamping place.

Good luck.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes