Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp Clubs

How many of you are in stamp clubs? I quit my club because my job relocated and I couldn't afford the $25 order, plus tax and shipping (SU club) on unemployment. I usually ended up paying about $40 - $45. With that being said, I haven't purchased any stamps or cardstock since December 2010. For those who aren't in stamp clubs, how do you stay in the know? Where do you purchase your supplies? Help......
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I attended a stamp club briefly when I first started making cards. It was at an SU Demo's house in my neighborhood. She was a lovely person and had these camps every couple of weeks.

I enjoyed the first few I went to, but quickly decided I didn't really like having everything pre-cut and pre-planned to make several cards. That just didn't seem very creative to me. But I've always been a "do-it-yourself" girl, lol.

I started coming to these forums, reading lots of stuff and looking at the gallery and the blogs of very talented people.

I am retired, so can get on my computer anytime I want. I check out SCS every day, several times. I keep enjoying it, and keep learning new techniques, and finding out about everything new. Usually before it's even in the stores!

I love learning on my own from all the talented stampers here, by reading on the internet, checking out all the wonderful tutorials here, and also on Youtube.

I purchase supplies from lots of different places, local craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby, from the featured companies here on SCS, and from many independent stamp companies that sell on the internet.

Papertrey Ink is one of my favorites. They sell high quality clear stamps and other stamping supplies and have a new release every month that is much anticipated. Here's a link to this month's new release:

Papertrey Ink - Quality Photopolymer Stamps with Coordinating Cardstock, Ink and Ribbon!

I have no desire to attend classes or camps.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 09-19-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I have been in a stamp club (SU) for the past 7 mos...ours is $25 as well and we rotate the hostess rewards. It's working well for me in terms of building up my tools and such. Stamp sets, not so much. There have actually been months where I've filled in with a single pen so I don't go to much over the $25 (sorry club buddies!) except for this month. I'm the hostess and went crazy on my wish list and the new mini.

Now, about the things we make....my friend that runs it is AMAZINGLY creative and actually has us stamping, cutting, scoring, etc so we learn the technique. Some nights we're there for 3 1/2 to 4 hours!! This month she went crazy on Halloween cards and projects....we did 6 if you can believe it!! I just can't imagine ever getting bored of the things we make each month, but I'm sure I'll reach the point of not needing anything. The way I figure it is...even at $25/mos, it's less than I was spending at the big box stores and my LSS (when they were around) for random stuff that doesn't coordinate.

To answer your question about staying in the know...I pretty much stalked SCS for a couple years. (As you can see, I've just worked up the guts to start commenting/posting. Lol!!) When I loved something that was referenced in a card/project, I googled and ordered it online.

Hope that helps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

You might check around for stamp clubs that are cheaper. I used to go to free stamp club workshops (with an SU demonstrator) where we'd make 2-3 projects per month, and those of us who were actually in the club were only asked to spend $15 a month (although I usually spent more). We took turns getting the hostess credits. The workshops were free to everyone, not just those in the stamp club, so it was great for those who couldn't afford to do a monthly commitment. Maybe you can find a demo in your area who offers a club or workshops for less than $25 a month? I always felt like $15 a month was a great deal.

My current SU demo charges $15 for workshops but we usually make 8 cards (of 4 different designs) at hers, so we get a lot for our $15 (with no expectation that we make a purchase). That is one way I keep up with what SU offers. I also get a lot of ideas online and use the SU website to see new products. For non-SU items, I shop the online and locally. We used to have a great LSS here but it's recently closed. I tend to watch for coupons and then go to Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Joann (and when I'm near an Archivers, I go there). I feel I can get what I need through them and online stores, and then I try to get to an SU workshop or place an order every few months.

I also read a lot of stamping blogs and watch online tutorials to get ideas. Between those and the SCS site, I feel I am staying up-to-date. I like the fact that I can get quite a variety of ideas and see a lot of different products by learning online from so many great stampers!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

See if you can find someone who offers classes in your area. I know I work a lot of new items into my classes.

I do have hostess clubs and the monthly amount varies with the number of participants. If you can find a group with 10 or more members, your monthly cost is likely to be lower. Alternatively, there may be an option to participate in an every-other-month club. Same premise with the cost as you want to be able to reach the figure for hostess benefits.

Make sense?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely go demo shopping in your area. Not every demo has the same kinds of clubs and classes. Check the demo locator and send out some requests for information on their classes. I bet there will be one who has an event that fits your needs.

My clubs run every other month with a $25 commitment. I also allow non-club members to come and they can place an order or pay a supply fee for the projects. We do 3 projects each time usually 1 technique, one fun fold and then using a new tool/product. I know not everyone has time to check out the internet for ideas so I try to come up with a variety of projects that they can go home and make themselves without having to wade through all the information online.

I also do stamp-a-stacks where the cards are basic but well designed and they make 5 each of 2 designs. Some of my ladies just come for that so they can have cards on hand---they don't stamp other than this event.

I hope you can find a good fit somewhere.

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 460 Likes on 349 Posts

I belong to a stamp club with no money involved. We meet once a month and each member prepares a project to share shoebox style.There are no vendor restrictions. The one rule is quality material only. It works great for us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I am in a stamp club that only meets once a quarter--once a month or more is too much for me. We rotate the hostess earnings each time and that works well for our group. Since we have 8 people in the group now, our purchase requirement is only $21.50 each which is very attainable for a quarter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

There are 4 or 5 demos in my area that do not have "clubs". We just go when and if we can. Some people order, some do not. The demo keeps the hostess benefits. No minimums and we made 6 cards at some and 10 cards at others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

We meet at our demo's house once a month. We give her $10 and make ten cards that she has designed or CASE'd. We even have snacks, although we've been taking turns bringing something. We also take turns as hostess. Only four of us and we've become great friends, so it's more of a time to get together and have some fun. We usually all put in an order after class, but it isn't required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get together with stamping friends. Buy your stuff at Michaels/JoAnn's or local stamp store - or over the 'net

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I belong to a stamp club that meets once a month. It's not a shopping club. A different member has the program each month and brings the projects.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I belong to a club. Started in January 2010. We meet once a month at our SU demo's club. We make four cards and then have to spend $25 on SU items which is not hard to do. I enjoy it very much and would never think of quitting! She always has such great ideas for us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
We meet at our demo's house once a month. We give her $10 and make ten cards that she has designed or CASE'd. We even have snacks, although we've been taking turns bringing something. We also take turns as hostess. Only four of us and we've become great friends, so it's more of a time to get together and have some fun. We usually all put in an order after class, but it isn't required.
We take turns being hostess in my club too. Hostess as in getting a hostess set and $20 to buy out of the catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I was in a great montly stamp group for almost 3 years. It became more of a girls night out with crafts. I loved it and it was at our SU demo's house.
We moved and I did not have any real contacts in our new location.
However, my friend and demo always sent me the latest and greatest catalog or crack-a-log as we called it, so I could see all the new "stuff".
I am able to order SU products online and I love the convienence of that.
Like all the others I online shop at other suppliers. I love stalking stuff out here on SCS and follow links to folks blogs for new ideas.
I have gone to a few stamp-a-stacks or one day stamp events with my friends.
That way I can pick and choose the timeframe and the frequency that I spend my money...snicker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

This is a great thread -- I love hearing about the clubs people belong/belonged to and how they work.

For the last several years I have had "Stamp Camp Clubs" where my ladies commit to attend my monthly camps for a certain amount of time but they never are required to purchase anything. Instead, I charge a nominal fee to cover my time and supplies for the many projects we make each month. This works for them as most of them do not want to commit to spending lots of money for product they may not even need that month. They like purchasing on their terms. As a club member they get their catalog free, a gift from me, and I have monthly specials IF they want to take advantage of them. Anyone can attend my stamp camps but my club members get VIP treatment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always order from a demo without being part of a club. Keep on the lookout for other stamping groups. I have a monthly free stamp and scrap night that started out at my church but is now in my home since I now have a studio. Watch at your local library too; some demos do classes there for small fees to cover materials. I LOVE joining in the challenges here on Splitcoast. It keeps me energized and you'll get lots of great ideas...many of the ladies use sneak peek or current materials so you can see what's out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Our stamp club is a non-shopping kinda thing and we "meet" monthly. I'm in SC and the rest of the "members" are in Indiana. We decide on a theme for each month. I send my sister kits for each of them to reproduce my card/project, & she collects and sends me their kits. They swap hostessing duties. If I'm not working on Stamp Club day, we chat via text or on-line messaging while we stamp. It's a way for us to play together even though we're miles apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think staying in the know and purchasing supplies are two different questions.

I purchase supplies everywhere and anywhere. This last week I even used a "plastic net" that came off a duty free bottle I had purchased.

To stay in the know I blog hop - if SU is definitely your thing there are loads of SU blogs. If you are open to more than SU there are still loads of blogs. The gallery here is good but truthfully finding blogs you like in style and content.

And FWIW I wonder what being "in the know" is? There are plenty of resources here for techniques and trends are only trends to makers - most card receipients don't have a clue if you have used a retired stamp and/or color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Thanks ladies....I live in the Kansas City, Mo area...anyone know of any SU clubs or Demos...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

What a small world...I'm in Kansas City quite often! I live near Wichita (Kansas) and a good friend of mine is a demo in Wichita. If you don't find someone closer to you, I'd be happy to give you her info.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the SU site and click demo locator. You can search your address and get the nearest 10 demos to you. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to fit your style!

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in a club but found the required spending to be somewhat burdensome. This was a club where everyone had to buy $30 or something for six months, and for one month, you got to be the hostess and get the hostess rewards. I found it was better for me to just make one big wish list and buy everything on my own (be my own hostess) whenever it was time for Sale-abration.

As far as being in the know, I've found that I can browse SCS's Products and Tools forum: Splitcoaststampers Stamping Tool & Product Talk Forum: Cuttlebug, Cricut, Crop-a-dile, Stampendous & More FAQs
and find pretty much anything I want to buy. Over the years I've saved a whole bunch of bookmarks of online stamping and stamping supplies stores, and which ones have free shipping over a certain amount. I buy most of my supplies online. Once in a long while I go to Michael's with a coupon, but that is maybe once every six months.

I did keep going to stamping classes for $10 a class. But I only went to find a stamping friend. Once I found her, I quit going, and now I go to my friend's house to stamp for free.

If I had to move, I'd do the same thing again - find a stamp class/club and stay with it until I became friendly enough with someone to stamp with for free at each other's homes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I am a demo and I have done a lot of clubs. I do 6 month clubs. Cost is $30 a month including shipping and tax. You get to pick out $25 worth of goodies each month. If you go over, you just pay the additional as well. Then during one of the months you get to be hostess and pick out some hostess goodies! I also do a 4 month marker club. It is a great way to get all the markers! Plus earn some hostess goodies! I also do ribbon shares! A great way to stock up on Stampin' Up! ribbon without buying a full roll of each ribbon! I have lots of people in my clubs who are not local! It is a great way to set a monthly SU! budget, as well as earn some free goodies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcherylView Post
Thanks ladies....I live in the Kansas City, Mo area...anyone know of any SU clubs or Demos...?
Mine is east of Topeka. pM me if you want info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by , weimsView Post
Mine is east of Topeka. pM me if you want info
Are you east of Topeka as in Lawrence by any chance? I'm looking for a demo and wondered if yours could use an extra customer. I'm close to Topeka myself and have been looking for a new demo. Mine doesn't do any demos or clubs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

For those of you who love to get together and stamp, find a demonstrator who offers stamp camps or special classes. These are generally fee-based where you just pay a fee to make lots of projects and are not required to purchase any product (unless you want to). You are also not required to attend every month but just when you can. This is a great way to keep on stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
I belong to a stamp club that meets once a month. It's not a shopping club. A different member has the program each month and brings the projects.
This is the type of stamp club I wish I could find. I once was involved with a monthly "club" that had 2 SU demos at it and I felt like they were "fighting" over me and who was going to get my order, when, I thought I was making friends. Unfortunately, I think I was just seen as a "customer" and not as a friend, so I quit going. I wanted to get together with people who enjoyed the same hobby and who would share with each other ideas, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Cainp, I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Do you have a couple of friends who also like to stamp? Just start your own club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a terrible way for demos to act. So sorry. I agree - start your own club that requires buying NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Recently, I wanted to make several cards for my mom during her cancer treatments, and asked a few close stamping friends if they had any sentiments I could borrow, so all the cards didn't just say "Thinking of you." They responded by loaning me several sets of stamps, and I had such a good time using sets that I hadn't tried before. It really got my creative juices flowing and it didn't cost a dime. I really recommend swapping stamps with friends and then meeting to swap back and show what you made.
I have also belonged to stamp clubs in the past. My demonstrator is not doing one at the moment, and I think I spend just as much, if not more, now! I am lucky to have a demonstrator who is constantly teaching us new techniques at all her make and takes, so I learn from her as well as all the great posts here on SCS!

Brooke
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

I was in a stamp club and always looked forward to going, I thought my demo was a friend but, found out the hard way that she was just using me and probably a few of the others in the group as well. She borrowed something of mine and after 9 months of me asking for it, she got mad and pretty much kicked me out. I would love to find a demo that enjoys teaching and sharing their love and knowledge, and meeting new people that enjoy crafting. I don't think she lasted long as a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been participating in a SU group for nearly 2 years, meeting monthly. We pay the SU demonstrator $10 - she supplies everything for us to complete the 3 projects we do each month. We also take turns hosting, and whoever hosts for that month doesn't need to pay the $10 to the SU demonstrator. We have no minimum purchase requirement. From what I was told, each SU demonstrator chooses how they set up the meetings. From reading what I just did in this thread I guess that's true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Check out some of your local stores. You have the big chains: Michael's, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, etc. Also look for a locally owned stamp/scrapbook store. I have found that the locally owned store by me is more up to date on things, than the big box stores.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

To help find out what's new I go to Barnes and Noble and get a giant cup of coffee, grab every papercrafting related magazine there is, and sit back and enjoy myself. I keep a small notebook and pen with me and when I read about a product/company that interests me I write down their website for checking out further later, after I get home. I don't have a laptop so I have to use the old fashioned paper & pen trick. LOL

Also, I'm lucky that I have easy access (if you call an hour's drive easy access) to Archiver's. It seems to me they always have the latest everything! They have an online annex store now, too, which is a valuable resource for keeping up on what's new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

I'm in a stamping club. We meet every month and same as a few others, spend $25 and alternate the hostess benefits. My demo is a good friend of mine so that helps but she also has a deal where you don't have to be part of the "group" to come and stamp. Just pay $5 for the supplies (we make at least 4 cards each time) She also has a newsletter and a facebook page for her SU stuff. Maybe you can find a demo like that? The newsletter tells you what's new and all.

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

I am in a stamp club and yes it is SU; however, I wish there were other ones out there besides Close to My Heart and Making Memories. I am in the stamp club for social reasons....great time with friends and I like that product is cut, designed, techniques are taught. This is great when I don't have time to make my own cards. I prefer to get together with friends at my house (I am not a demo) and have them use my supplies and create whatever we want and how many of whatever. I look online at other blogs and have not restricted myself to SCS. There is a lot more out there. I buy card magazines. I attend professional classes when I am able. I find my ideas even by looking at colors around me...like color combos from fabric, textures from furniture in my own home, card types (buckle cards, tri- fold cards,etc.) from just trying new things. Think outside the box.

As for supplies, I am not loyal to any one company. At one time I was only into SU, until I started attending scrapbooking conventions, etc....then realized there is a whole world out there besides SU with even better products. You can also find some stamp stores with unique stamps and Free demonstrations and relatively cheap classes for very professional looking cards not using stamps at all. Now that's thinking outside the box.
Reply With Quote Likes