Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #281  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the cards that are uploaded, especially when the recipe is included.
I don't mind the link to blogs. I've enjoyed surfing around on them.

What I hate, is when someone asks for help or directions and is given the link to a blog where the directions are for sale. If someone wants to sell ideas, pay for an ad. Seems very tacky to me.

example:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #282  
Die Cut Diva

Location: I'm actually lost... if you find me, could you let me know where I am??

Ty Julie! I've been thinking about posting something about people with no details... and not just those with blogs (I actually like visiting the blogs... I learn a lot from them). I get soooooooooo frustrated when I see something in the gallery that I love and have no idea what stamp set they used, or what technique or what colors! I know this is really mean (move over BadSherry... not that BadSherry is mean... just the name!!) but most of the time if I was going to leave a comment... I won't! If they can't take a few minutes to fill out the description, then why should I take the time to leave a detailed comment?! I RARELY if ever just say "beautiful" or whatever... I tell them what I like about their creation. The sad thing about this is that I don't think the majority of these people even visit the forums. :( Oh well... I feel better now that I vented!

Last edited by SassiAngel; 05-29-2008 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #283  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I agree with Debi, it's very frustrating that they can't take the time to leave the information about the card that they have uploaded and they want us to look at, so why should I take the time to go to their blog, although like others I enjoy looking at the blogs and learn a lot from them.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #284  
Insane Embellisher

Well said! I really don't like to even look at cards without a recipe. Seems I always NEED to know who manufactued the stamp. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #285  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Emily made a great point, which I wanted to reiterate, and which I am afraid I overlooked in my OP, and subsequent others, due to my lack of viewing things from a perspective other than my own.

I regret not considering her points below. Because she's right. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterPixieView Post
Hi Ladies!

This thread caught my eye and I just wanted to pop in with a reminder. Not everybody who uploads to SCS has the time or is aware at how much people like the full list of items used to create a project. Many times the link to their blog is because the project requires many steps, and it's easier to read it that way.

SCS does not require full information for gallery uploads.

When considering contacting a person by PM to direct them to this thread, please take into account that they may just be doing what they see done in the gallery. It may be hurtful to a person to be directed here instead of having a friendly contact. However, being a past Gallery Moderator, I don't feel it is necessary to contact people for not including information or for providing blog links.

I know it's frustrating when you really want to know what was used, especially now with so many stamp companies around. So instead of PMing to direct them here, PM them to ask what they used. Many times they are happy to share with you and, as I mentioned before, they are just unaware that people really do appreciate the information being included when uploading.

Let's keep SCS a happy place, and take into consideration the feelings of the person uploading.

Thank you!
And, for that, I humbly apologize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #286  
Cardstock Collector

JulieHRR

I don't think you owe anyone an apology. If a stamper has the time and desire to share a card, it shouldn't be too much trouble to fill out the recipe. It doesn't have to be extremely detailed. As said previoulsy by others, the details, if they are many, can be left to be found on a blog.

It really is disappointing to find a card that you love without any info on it at all. Oftentimes the picture that is shown is inaccurate as to the color and some of the details can't be seen well and a simple recipe can clear up many questions.

I too agree with lamepaw and Debbie, I won't go to a blog for detailed info if the main ingredients can't be listed with the upload. It also keeps me from favoriting an item.

Thanks for letting me vent -- I do feel better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #287  
Kookie Creator

One thing that I find amazing is the way that SCS is such a "hub" for our community... bloggers are creating challenges and encouraging folks to fill the galleries, including special tags for their creations so that they might be found together when searching... and these are all forms of promotion -- both for SCS and for the bloggers...

So -- the thing is, we need to find the balance. the way to "take the High Road" and to ensure we are not taking advantage of resources and letting people down, right?

Getting exposure, here or on our blogs makes us more likely to be on Design Teams and possibly to get published... so it is "all promotion" -- but we can certainly be nice, happy, and comply with TOS, I hope.

I am betting that very few are making money stamping (when you put in all that we purchase and give away!) but if I get to the point where I am ever doing that -- it will be a JOY to take out an ad on SCS and to support it in that manner.

And I do want to say that offering a tutorial on something is a gift to the viewer if it is well done -- and I love it when in addition to the recipe, someone tells me that they have done a tutorial and I can view it elsewhere. Yes, it does establish that person and blog as another place to go for wonderful things... yes, that might increase their traffic -- but I found the reference HERE, on SCS... so I hope that we won't get too hot under the collar about folks pointing to tutorials elsewhere. After all, only so many tutorials get printed by SCS... so I come here first and jump for joy when I can dig deeper with a full tutorial elsewhere if it is offered.
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #288  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I indeed have noticed the lack of "tack" among the SCS members alot in the last week or so. I thought maybe people where to busy at first...but it seems to be on the rise.

Maybe a mass e-mail needs to be sent to every member and non-member to either fill out the recipe or drop out. I know that maybe harsh, but rules are rules. I do not always want to go to another site to get information when it should be right in front of us. It is not real hard to to spend a few extra minutes and keystrokes to be informative.

I am kind of new to this (one year or so) and may be out of line. But that is my personal feelings.

PS If you are a proud SCS member, you should doublely want to include all information.

busybeestampin ~ Fan Club Member ~ Stampin' Up! demonstrator

blog ~ busybeestampin

QFTD206 ~ FS236
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #289  
Cardstock Collector

Wink

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! These are two things are urk me beyond words. I am offended when I have to go to extra trouble to click into another blog site just because someone is too "lazy" to post that info on SC. It defeats the purpose of the whole concept. As well, if I want to be sold too I would like to know in advance if that is happening. I get beyond frustrated when I go into a website and it is a company. This is no place to peddle your wares without a proper ad. It is taking advantage of SC and disrespectful to the other members. Thanks Julie for finally addressing this situation. It has been bugging me for a long time but like other busy people I just haven't taken the time to say anything. One of the things I appreciate about SC is that your looking out for your constituency and it is one of the biggest reasons I joined because I want to support that kind of company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #290  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kind of easy to tell those that haven't read the entire thread.

It's been posted several times in this thread now, by the PTB (Powers That Be) who run this site AND by adorable Julie herself that there is no such rule that states anybody has to "fill in the recipe" when they upload. There are rules, yes. No promotional uploads (aka "see my blog" with no other info). No non-stamping/scrapping pictures (no pics of the family unless the're ON a scrapped page, lol), things like that.

SCS was created as a friendly environment for everyone that wanted to share in this addictive hobby. We support each other. We don't tell each other that their contribution isn't good enough, or isn't even "enough." So, if you see a picture that's been uploaded with no info, but otherwise it obeys the rules, don't worry about it! If you don't want to comment, don't. But don't feel like you have the right to bully someone into obeying YOUR idea of the rules. If you think it's disrespectful or wrong in any way, by all means use the "Report this post" button. The PTB will take any action that's necessary, if action indeed needs to be taken. But don't feel like being rude is your right. Perhaps we could ALL "take the high road" and let people follow their own hearts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #291  
Cardstock Collector

An Apology

For any of you who read my comments and were offended, I am truly sorry. BetsyZ felt I was bullying people and that was not my intention at all. I love SCS and appreciate all who take the time to be a part of SCS. So, very sorry. Also thanks to BetsyZ for taking the time to email me on this matter. Vickie

Last edited by Avalon; 07-16-2008 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #292  
Glitter Queen

Thanks much. If there's no info and only a link -- it's on to the next picture. I may miss out on a lot, but . . .
Thank you to those who do fill out the information as best as you can. It is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #293  

Avolon, I do not think you ar a bully...just speaking the truth and I fully agree.

MSBetsyZ, I agree with you as well.

If you want to include your blog, etc. that is fine, I have the option of checking it out and seeing your other work. But you should write about the challenge of the day in the SCS spot.

blog ~ busybeestampin

QFTD206 ~ FS236
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #294  
Cardstock Collector

Default All in this together

busybeestamper:

Thanks for your support. You are correct that we are all in this together to make it a better place. I will work on being more tackful the next time I blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #295  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am so new at stamping! I have some stamps I don't know who made them! I got them on sale or at various stores. That's why I haven't started a gallery yet, I don't know the paper vendor, or the stamp vendor, but I have learned by lurking on SCS! So now I am starting to keep track a little better so when I do get up the nerve to start a gallery, I will try to have the helpful information those of you speak of here! Don't know if any will want to case mine yet though, too new!! hehe

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #296  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am sort of new here... and I typically put what I know about what I use. What I mean by this is, I don't keep the paper by company. I keep it by color. So if I don't know for sure who's paper it is, I may just not say.
But stamps and embellies & stuff, I list.
So my question is... is this more about not wanting people to post to look at their blogs or about wanting info about what they use.
Not everyone likes leaving recipes, and since so many of us use the same products... is it really of the UTMOST importance.
I just left another thread where folks are telling others not to leave comments if a person doesn't leave a recipe.
I find it mean spirited, not encouraging and sad to act that way as we are all crafters and so many people are at different levels...
it discourages folks.
My unsolicited two cents...
em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #297  
Glitter Queen

My beef isn't with those who don't know what products or paper they are using, (I have tons of stuff out of the package with no clue where it came from,) it is with those who do know, but only put the "recipe" on their personal blog, leaving those looking at their sample on SCS with only a link to their blog. I'm all for leaving a link, but not as the only info on the sample.

I am amazed at the talent that is gathered here, keep up the outstanding work, but not the free self-advertizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #298  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Newbie appreciates gallery

Thanks to all that post their cards in the gallery. As a newbie, I use the gallery to get ideas or at least get my creativity started. Hopefully one day I'll be able to post something of my own in the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #299  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Kind of easy to tell those that haven't read the entire thread.

It's been posted several times in this thread now, by the PTB (Powers That Be) who run this site AND by adorable Julie herself that there is no such rule that states anybody has to "fill in the recipe" when they upload. There are rules, yes. No promotional uploads (aka "see my blog" with no other info). No non-stamping/scrapping pictures (no pics of the family unless the're ON a scrapped page, lol), things like that.

SCS was created as a friendly environment for everyone that wanted to share in this addictive hobby. We support each other. We don't tell each other that their contribution isn't good enough, or isn't even "enough." So, if you see a picture that's been uploaded with no info, but otherwise it obeys the rules, don't worry about it! If you don't want to comment, don't. But don't feel like you have the right to bully someone into obeying YOUR idea of the rules. If you think it's disrespectful or wrong in any way, by all means use the "Report this post" button. The PTB will take any action that's necessary, if action indeed needs to be taken. But don't feel like being rude is your right. Perhaps we could ALL "take the high road" and let people follow their own hearts.
I am glad to hear there is NO set rule and that it is friendly. It didn't exactly feel friendly as a newer/less experienced stamper. I kept thinking... if you like their stamp and they didn't put it, ask them... but don't BULLY someone into doing it your way.
I do get the slant against self advertizing, etc... but wow... this thread is scary and eye opening at the same time. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #300  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinemView Post
I am sort of new here... and I typically put what I know about what I use. What I mean by this is, I don't keep the paper by company. I keep it by color. So if I don't know for sure who's paper it is, I may just not say.
But stamps and embellies & stuff, I list.
So my question is... is this more about not wanting people to post to look at their blogs or about wanting info about what they use.
Not everyone likes leaving recipes, and since so many of us use the same products... is it really of the UTMOST importance.
I just left another thread where folks are telling others not to leave comments if a person doesn't leave a recipe.
I find it mean spirited, not encouraging and sad to act that way as we are all crafters and so many people are at different levels...
it discourages folks.
My unsolicited two cents...
em
Hi, Em.

There is no requirement by SCS that folks include recipe info with their uploads here.

Speaking personally, I know that beginners greatly appreciate the info and find it helpful; in addition, including it helps reduce the volume of emails I would otherwise consume lots of time answering, if I didn't.

So, to make it easy, I copy the recipe info from my blog and paste it into the description box when I upload the design here.

I include a direct link to that project on my blog, as an option for viewers, if they want more explicit details and instructions.

The only thing that should be avoided in a gallery upload is promotional/advertising use or language (otherwise known as "pimping"). ;)

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #301  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you Julie!
I usually copy the "recipe" from my blog too. As it is easy to do that way.
It is quite a WOW of a post.. and quite negative, which is not at all what I had heard about SCS folks... It may deter great folks from staying around.
But anyway... I sure appreciate your clarification.
em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #302  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you, I really hate when I get to a cool card and get redirected to the blog...I would rather learn about it all on SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #303  
Crimping Master

Location: Born in Montreal, grew up in New Brunswick, now live in Mississauga, ON Canada

I just stumbled onto this thread and read through most of it. Some very good points were made about including enough information with their galley uploads so that members are not nudged into going into a blog.

Lately I've gleaned a lot of tutorial information from various blogs and uploaded cards to the gallery using what I've learned. One thing I like to do in those cases is to provide a bare-bones recipe and include a link to that tutorial/blog/youtube video, especially the videos.

That blogger provided a tutorial free of charge to all and sundry, investing plenty of time and, in some cases, money, to maintain their site. I feel that the least I can do in return is direct a few clicks to their blog to help defray their costs. In a few cases, commenters have thanked me for providing the link to these tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:51 AM   #304  

This is all fine, except there is no reason the person can't spend just a few minutes putting in the colors, ink, accessories, etc. If there is a special technique, put it in the blog and say so, I would be more than happy to go to get that. But when you are asked to do a simple thing, why make more work for the person that may just want to know colors, ink, etc! They are not asking much. I have found many cards intersting and will pursue farther. I do check out blogs...but not for colors, ink, etc. And neither should we have to chase after this.

I don't think of this complaint as negative so much as try and follow simple rules that are requested.

blog ~ busybeestampin

QFTD206 ~ FS236

Last edited by pawallen142; 10-12-2008 at 05:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #305  
Watercolor Wizard

I agree totally - I find is disconcerting when I look at a posted card and find no "recipe" for it. I don't think this venue was intended for a way for bloggers to advertise their sites. When posting we are specifically asked for the specifics for our cards and should provide that information for lookers. For years I "took" for Splitcoast and recently starting "giving" back and enjoy doing so and accept that it's my responsibility to let others know what I used or where I got my idea from (casing). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #306  
Inking Addict

Default thanks

thanks for posting that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #307  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Blogs

I have to say it again I LOVE BLOGS and I get tired of people complaining about them. I do get annoyed when there is nothing on a card and no link to a blog. At least if there is the link to the blog I can get the information I need and more. I was directed to a blog just the other night and I was on there for about 3 hours and enjoyed it very much and also learned many things. I don't have a blog myself but try to remember there are many wonderful things on the blogs that you won't see in the galleries and the people that have them do put allot of time and effort in them to share their wonderful talent.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #308  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I've got a question as far as "recipes" go: I uploaded a card earlier tonight and had all the info I needed for the recipe, but it never gave me the space where to put that information. I had previously uploaded a card and was able to enter the information, but for some reason, not on the one I did tonight. Can you help me out with this? And is it still possible to add?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #309  

I don't want you to feel dumb or anything...you upload the picture with minimal information...the next page you fill in to "recipe" information. If you somehow by past this just go back to your picture and hit edit and put in the information. It took me a few times to get the hang of it!

blog ~ busybeestampin

QFTD206 ~ FS236
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #310  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Actually, I just retried the edit again now and it will let me enter the recipe information now. I did try earlier to edit and at that time, for some reason, it would not put up the table to let me enter it. Thanks for getting me to try it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #311  
Kookie Creator

That's good to know about the recipe list for your cards. I might start posting some of my cards.

But I don't have a blog. I'm not that computer savvy. Although my dh is.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #312  

I hope you do. We all are are a bit shy at first. But I have discovered as with everything in life. Some will love your card and some will not. We all have varied tastes and that is what makes this world great.

blog ~ busybeestampin

QFTD206 ~ FS236
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #313  
#1 Gas Bagger

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellytheMommyView Post
I am glad to hear that SCS wants people to include the recipe in their post. I like to have a link to a blog in case I want to check it out, but I don't like having to go to a separate page every time I just want to see what supply was used on a project.

Well said.

MY BLOG....kittyKatkorners

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #314  
Kookie Creator

Well. I have started my blog. And also posting my cards on here as well. And I put all the ingredients that I use to make my card on here and my blog.

I just think that it's good karma to do it that way.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #315  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a new stamper I am thrilled to see this. I can't tell you how often I have visited the gallery's only to find no info.

Thanks for requiring this!!!!

Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #316  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

I just stumbled on this thread tonight and have been reading through the posts. My first thought was WOW.... I'm not alone in finding it frustrating when the only info provided is a link to a blog where stuff is for sale and you have to scroll through heaps of ads and other stuff to find any info about a card.

I have always posted a recipe and a brief (and oftentimes not so brief LOL) explanation about what inspired me to make the card (usually a challenge or a family event requiring a card or scrapbook page, or a VSN event, or just a whim!).

I started a blog a few months ago, but quite honestly, you'll find more of my work in my SCS gallery than you'll ever find on my blog. I put a link to my blog in my gallery entry only when I have a very lengthy or detailed explanation (I'm good at that -- being longwinded ;) -- ) about something I did on the card, or some technique I used or whatever. And it usually comes as an edit added later. Yikes, I post HERE first, and then MAYBE it'll get put on my blog. In my naivete, I guess I didn't realize that folks often do it the other way around!

I've only been a member of SCS since August and in that time, I swear, I've gotten the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in card making and stamping from this fabulous site, from all the resources and tutorials and info I've found here, from PM's when I've asked questions and gotten thoughtful answers, from reading others' gallery information, as well as from the many blogs I've visited.

But like so many others who've posted here, I, too, find it frustrating when someone hasn't taken a few minutes to give just the bare bones info in the gallery. This is such a fabulous, sharing and caring site, and the opportunities given to us as members of SCS are almost impossible to quantify. I feel an enormous sense of obligation to fill in those little boxes when I upload to the gallery. It seems such a small thing to do in exchange for all I get in return.

I also have a stash of paper and stamps that are "no-name".... I'm not afraid to admit it... I just write, source unknown, or scrap (I have scraps and scraps and scraps galore). But when I can, I give detailed source information. I try to include all the things I'm looking for when I visit someone else's gallery and see a card I really like.

I guess this is a longwinded way of saying that we post in the gallery to share and communicate our work with others. Part of that sharing is with a picture, and part of that is with words. I can respect someone saying that they have absolutely no clue where this yard sale find of a stamp is from, but I'd really like them to tell me if the card is made for a specific challenge, uses a specific technique, or is CASE'd.

Just my 22 and a half cents..... inflation AND recession at work here.... I used to give 25 cents worth. >
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #317  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

just a timely bump to the top
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #318  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
just a timely bump to the top
Because....?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #319  
Mad Swapper

Just another "timely bump to the top."

Why? Because in the cards I've been clicking on, it seems as though many peeps still aren't listing even the basics. I've got nothing against visiting blogs, but sometimes I want "just the facts, ma'am." lol

To Splitcoast Administrators: Isn't there any way to require filling in the recipe fields as part of the upload process? I mean if people are going to showcase their work here for free, I don't think asking for a little info. on how they created it (without actually having to leave the site) is unreasonable.

Just sayin' ...

~ Debra

Inspired Creativity Through the Ideas of Others

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #320  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will never click on a blog link to see the details. I got a VERY NASTY virus from doing just that last fall from a Gallery blog link here at SCS
It is so easy to use Cut & paste from their blog link to their gallery post.

I will not not leave a comment or favorite a card that has no info.
It is a common courtesy to provide. We should not have take time to PM someone asking what supplies are used.

Then some wonder as to why they have no comments or favorites.
Reply With Quote Likes