Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #81  
Hot Mess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Michaels won't have the MS stuff out till the 26th. They have fliers at the checkout saying so. I am anxious to see her stuff (I am a secret Martha fan!!) I hope they plan on having special sales on her stuff.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #82  
Pearl-ExPert

I went to Michaels today. There were 4 people working very hard on the Martha Stewart aisle. All of the prices were up and some of her items were stocked but only a few. What I saw I liked. I am excited to see all of her products and I am sure that they will all be there by Friday. So I will be stopping there again on Friday. As for the employees wearing white gloves.......they weren't in the Michales I shop in. There were more new items by other companies as well. I really like that Michaels has finally changed thier product selection. However, they probably will not be offering new products weekly like my 3 LSS will. Too many stores and not enough money.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #83  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobi
do any of you wonder if Martha is on splitcoast?? hehehehehe....
She's looking at us from the ad at the top of the page!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #84  
Matboard Maniac

see the add at the top of page 2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #85  
Hot Mess

Her ad at the top is a little skeery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

I saw that humongous scrapbook and thought who in the world would use that. Let alone lift it. Nothing much caught my eye either but they didn't have everything out yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #87  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflower05
see the add at the top of page 2
That is toooo funny! I went last night and saw a few things out. However, for the money, I would rather support my LSS. Like I said, her stuff is nice and I do like what she does. As for the jail time, what did the men from ENRON get? Nothing. She is one of the many who have done something wrong but one of the few to actually serve time for her crime. I admire that she did it without putting up a huge legal battle that would tie up the courts for years. IMHO, anyway.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

I went to Michael today, and they have the new line of Martha Stewart out, I had one big question,

Why is the paper 18x18?
THe sheets are huge, I can't imagine why I would buy sheets of paper that big. KWIM. I didn't look at them too well, I just wondered.....

The Paper Gourmet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

the stuff was out in winnipeg wiggy..just no stamps ..yet..they still had boxes to unpack tho.
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #90  
Insane Embellisher

I saw the new Martha things today. They are nice, but the thing that excites me most about it is that Michael's FINALLY got in something new!

Click here...I dare you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #91  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Was the cashier serious about the "white cotton

glove" thing or was she joking? If it's true, there's no way Martha can make sure that everyone was using the gloves, and most employees probably won't use them. I don't like Martha either. I think she's a snob.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #92  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivekids7
I went to Michael today, and they have the new line of Martha Stewart out, I had one big question,
Why is the paper 18x18?
THe sheets are huge, I can't imagine why I would buy sheets of paper that big. KWIM. I didn't look at them too well, I just wondered.....
She is also gearing towards making larger papercrafts and gift bags, etc, so the big paper may be for that. A friend told me that she has been making gift bags on her show, so that may be why!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #93  
Hardware Hotshot

I wish I had read this post before yesterday when we went to Springfield (MO) to the Michael's there. I noticed they put all the Martha stuff on the first two counters.. it wasn't roped off or anything.. I am not a fan so I just walked on by.. I should've went down the aisle and touched a few things! ha ha..

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #94  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just came back from my M's and they didn't have any of the new Martha stuff out yet. They said that by Friday it would all be out. NO clear $ stamps either. Somebody came in earlier and bought all of the ones they had just put out! I told the manager they need to start a limit---share the wealth! Little good that will do!

MYBlog
Designer for Deedee's Digis
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

My Michaels had all the Martha Stewart stuff out today. There was a lot of pretty stuff there. I asked the cashier why you couldn't use a coupon and she told me that the Martha Stewart Inc had told them that they couldn't mark it down or let people use coupons on it. I don't dislike Martha Stewart but come on....is she hurting for money that bad that she can't let the people that bought her products at K Mart and watch her television shows use a coupon on her products? My mom said, that's it, we're not buying anything else Martha Stewart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #96  
Inky OceanGazer

well...our Michael's had all its Martha stuff out today.....It is all very pretty, but I found that much of it is 'done'......just need to be attached......not quite as creative in essence as I was expecting...... I generally like Martha's style....have had some some of her punches for years......but must say I was a bit disappointed....however, on the bright side ours seemed to also have more K and Co stuff which was fabulous.
Inky Ocean Gazer (my original blog I can no longer get into)
The Inky Ocean Gazer 2 (my new simple blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #97  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm cracking up about the white gloves when I first read it I thought no way. I stopped by to see if the Martha stuff was out at our M's today (it wasn't) just empty shelves that have been wallpapered with her name. As I was looking around they had a pair of white gloves sitting on the boxes that needed to be unpacked. This is TOO funny!! I really like Martha but seriously that is INSANE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #98  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimastamper
glove" thing or was she joking? If it's true, there's no way Martha can make sure that everyone was using the gloves, and most employees probably won't use them. I don't like Martha either. I think she's a snob.

Kim
Yes, she was serious! She said the gloves came with the merchandising stuff and they were instructed to use them when handling the MS merchandise and doing the product set. The ? is whether or not the employees did use them, or just had a good laugh!
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #99  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by propecia
My Michaels won't have the MS stuff out till the 26th. They have fliers at the checkout saying so. I am anxious to see her stuff (I am a secret Martha fan!!) I hope they plan on having special sales on her stuff.
From what I hear, Martha has also asked that her items NOT be discounted.

Just thought I'd add the the craziness
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #100  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
My Michaels had all the Martha Stewart stuff out today. There was a lot of pretty stuff there. I asked the cashier why you couldn't use a coupon and she told me that the Martha Stewart Inc had told them that they couldn't mark it down or let people use coupons on it. I don't dislike Martha Stewart but come on....is she hurting for money that bad that she can't let the people that bought her products at K Mart and watch her television shows use a coupon on her products? My mom said, that's it, we're not buying anything else Martha Stewart.
Never mind :} I see someone else already mentioned it :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #101  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
Sorry but a lot of the digs made at her is because she is a white collar criminal and didn't serve near as much time as she should have. I wasn't going to get into it, but frankly celebrity jail time doesn't sit well with me.
The only reason she was sent to jail was BECAUSE she was a celebrity.. No one else in the world would have got time for what she did.. anyway!

I've always had the opinion that M's is crap. their stamps are cheap, cheap thin (and expensive) paper, over-priced cuttlebug stuff... maybe this Martha lady will bring some class to the joint.. i'm hoping so. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #102  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgrohall
I'm thinking that maybe for the opening - they won't take coupons, but after the first few weeks - they will?

It could be wishful thinking!
Nope...no coupons for Martha's stuff. My Michaels register person said she doesn't want to be associated with 'discount' items. So what is she doing selling at KMart and Michaels? Both are known for being low cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #103  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Wall Street Journal Article

There is a big long article on this on the front page of the Wall Street Journal today. Since the WSJ doesn't link it's articles for non-subscribers I'll except the relevant parts:

"On May 1, Martha Steward Living (MSL) Omnimedia will roll out a line of more than 650 products aimed at the legions of hobbyists who assemple elaborate scrapbooks. It's the company's biggest merchandising initiative since it teamed up with Kmart storest in 1997, and it represents a strategic shift toward licensing its brand and selling via the Internet"

"What does the domestic-arts maven see in a dowdy industry where merchandise is sold in cluttered stores stacked floor to ceiling with pipe cleaners, Styrofoam balls, glue sticks, beads and fake flowers?"

"Paper crafts may sound like a quaint pursuit," says CEO Susan Lyne. "But it's actually a rapidly growning business" Preserving photographs and memorabilia in decorated albums - enthusiasts call it scrapbooking - has grown into a nearly $3 billion industry, according to the CHA. MSL hopes to ring up enough sales of $1.69 colored markers, $4.99 bottles of glitter and other merchandise to generaly $100 million of sales within three years."

More in another post...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #104  
Hardware Hotshot

Default WSJ article cont'd

"To succeed, Ms. Stewart will have to connect with a far-flung world of customers, including legions of Middle Americans who may never have used her tips on home decor or holiday cooking. She put her designers to work coming up with new twists on such mundane products as scrapbooks, ribbon and cardboard boxes. Her executives went looking for a retail partner whose stores didn't look like a mess. (???) And Ms. Stewart herself hit the road to try to woo some hard-core crafters.

"The crafts business, in some ways, is eccentric. Even outlets operated by big craft chains often resemble Main Street hardware stores from a bygone era, with oddball items stacked inefficiently in a dusty jumble. Suppliers are a hodgepodge, ranging from the office supply giant 3M Co, to a two-person company that sells a single item, Baby Tooth Album Inc.

"Scrapbooking draws a diverse crown, crossing age groups and ethnicity, and is particularly popular in smaller communities. It's possible that crafts and scrapbooking enthusiasts will view Ms. Stewart's glitzy Manhattan media company, along with her exacting recommendations for doing things, with a measure of suspicion.

""I'm not sure people want to bring a brand into their scrapbook," says Shelly Izen, the owner of Scrapbook Fever, a crafts store in Salem Ore. "Martha's stuff looks pretty, but crafters are strong-willed (ya think?) and don't want to be told what to do. Martha's stuff seems very 'do it this way or no way'"

More in another post. Stuff in italics and parenthese are mine. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #105  
Hardware Hotshot

Default WSJ Article cont'd.

This is highly excerpted - the actual article was much longer...

"Ms. Lyne says the crafts push will lend itself to Internet promotion and merchandising. Scrapbooks are often assembled communally, with aficionados hosting "cropping parties". MarthaStewart.com aims to both sell scrapbook supplies and serve as an online forum for crafters. Users will be able to post videos and photos of their projects, view craft-related video tips from Ms. Stewart's show, and download instructions."

"To protect it's brand, Ms. Marino sought an exclusive partnership with a specialty retailer. The company decided that two national chains - Jo-Ann Stores and Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. - were too downscale, according to two executives involved in the matter.

MSL executives opened negotiations with Michael's Sotres, which has 920 stores in the US and Canada. In exchange for a commitment from Michael's to reduce clutter by reorganizing shelves, MSL named the retailer the exclusive bricks-and-morter outlet for its merchandise, at least until the fall."

Then the article talked a bit about the merchandise, but I don't want to take up any more space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

If i wasn't so chicken sh-- i would write a letter to the editor of the WSJ and give him a piece of my mind. it's people like them who discredit our work, thinking we're dowdy housewives playing with pipe-cleaners and styrofoam balls for fun. GOD!!!!!! the comment regarding "mundane products such as scrapbooks, ribbon etc" really pisses me off!! i hope the author of this article catches some major flack for his hurtful (and WRONG) opinion of scrapbookers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #107  
Hardware Hotshot

sorry about all the typos... :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobi
If i wasn't so chicken sh-- i would write a letter to the editor of the WSJ and give him a piece of my mind. it's people like them who discredit our work, thinking we're dowdy housewives playing with pipe-cleaners and styrofoam balls for fun. GOD!!!!!! the comment regarding "mundane products such as scrapbooks, ribbon etc" really pisses me off!! i hope the author of this article catches some major flack for his hurtful (and WRONG) opinion of scrapbookers...
The guys (and I do mean guys) who write this stuff have obviously never seen this site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #109  
Forum Fanatic

WOW...................that article really ticked me off!!! Ya some of it was true - but DOWDY?????????????? AURGH!!! *shakes fist at whoever wrote that article*

Ina way it did give me a laugh - it just made it all sound like a big joke!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #110  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx stamper
that is TOO funny!
I'm going there the first day just to touch everything and put it back an inch from where it was.
Oh my gosh...if I could only be a fly on the wall to watch that!!! How funny! I like Martha...although she is a bit haughty. I hope her stuff is as good as all of the hype!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #111  
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah, I forgot to include the headline of the article:

"Dowdy Craft Business Gets Martha Stewart Makeover"

:twisted:

But ladies, I don't think we can hold Martha responsible for the way this article described our "mundane" flowers.

I think we should shower the author with Primas!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #112  
Die Cut Diva

WOW on that article. Sheesh.

BTW In my mind Michaels has always been kinda "downscale". I would think Archivers would be a more appropriate store for Martha's line of products.

Don't get me wrong, it is nice to see all this new stuff at Michaels and I like Martha. I like her LIVING mag and sometimes like to watch her show when I run across it. I am looking forward to seeing her products. But I think the choice of Michaels is really odd considering the perpetual coupons. They created that culture of always having a coupon in hand and these days they are restricting it. Seems like an odd fit to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #113  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, just to let everyone know...the white gloves were only to be worn while putting the Martha signs up that are above the aisle and not during the entire time the aisles were being stocked with her products. The signs are made of a shiny plastic and fingerprints would've been left all over them. Still a little crazy if you ask me! I do have to say the products are kinda nice, especially the punches. Stinks though, that you can't use a coupon on any of her stuff. I don't see that changing anytime soon, although I heard she will run specials on her stuff from time to time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #114  
Stampin' Fool

I apologize if I've missed the answer to this question. Will the MS line ever be available on her web-store or anyplace else on-line?

I'm looking forward to seeing some new fresh "stuff." As a home stamper, I can use whatever I want to use. I just choose a lot of SU products most of the time. FWIW, I can't wait to see what's new in SU and I hate all of you that already can get a peek at it! (not really. just spoofin', as my dad would say.) Aaaaannnnyyyywaaaayyy. I want to shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #115  
Kookie Creator

I just left one of my Michaels and found the Martha Stewart collection so very pretty. There is a nice selection of everything. The colors are lovely and frankly I couldn't care less whose name is on it, just so I like it, I can use it and it makes me happy and the gals who recieve the cards I make for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #116  
Stampin' Fool

Inquiring minds want to know if you bought anything and what it was.

Sara, living vicariously through others who live closer to a Michaels than I
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #117  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara in WI
I apologize if I've missed the answer to this question. Will the MS line ever be available on her web-store or anyplace else on-line?

I'm looking forward to seeing some new fresh "stuff." As a home stamper, I can use whatever I want to use. I just choose a lot of SU products most of the time. FWIW, I can't wait to see what's new in SU and I hate all of you that already can get a peek at it! (not really. just spoofin', as my dad would say.) Aaaaannnnyyyywaaaayyy. I want to shop!
I believe that the WSJ article hinted that the items will probably eventually be on her site, maybe fall?

The WSJ article really pissed me off!!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #118  
Stampin' Fool

Tell us what you *really* think, Nancy! tee hee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #119  
Compulsive Stamper

I love Martha's style!

I'm even admitting that I DVR her show everyday. When I can't find anything to watch in TV, I'll catch up on a couple of episodes. (I just love her TV set! It's gorgeous!) Honestly, for me, part of the fun is hearing some of the things she says that makes her seem so out-of-touch with the way most people live their lives. She mentioned her "Garden Manager" the other day. Garden Manager? We all have one of these, don't we? I didn't get offended by it or put off by it. She's paying these people. I couldn't care less how she lives her life.

I will be at Michael's and will more than likely love her products because I usually do. I will more than likely love the colors because I usually love her color schemes.

People will either buy it or they won't. She'll still make lots of money off of the product line. I think part of not accepting coupons is to make it seem like a better quality right off the bat. Personally, I think it's a marketing strategy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #120  
Kookie Creator

let me just say that the projected $100 million in 3 years will not have one red penny of my money. never liked her, never will. jmho.

it's gonna be a good day tater! ~ Ron White
Reply With Quote Likes