Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
They will be in a strange environment, so they will explore everywhere they can get to. Close your doors. I ALWAYS closed my cats in the laundry room at night, with food, litter box and nightlight. As new kittens I added a ticking clock. I had no complaints. If you don't restrain them, they will wander at night and wake you up, just because they want to. Your dog may get territorial with the strangers in her house.
Cats will never act like dogs, so don't expect obedience.
I second this. I locked my kittens up in the bathroom at night. They had everything they needed in there plus each other. I could hear them in there tearing every thing up and was grateful it was in a tiled bathroom. Minimal damage. Then keep a squirt bottle of water handy to train them from shredding your expensive stuff LOL.

At 7 months old, they will be brave enough to jump onto everything and young enough to do it all night long. They are fun at this age.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Thank you for the advice! I would not have thought to contain them in one room for a night, but that is an excellent idea. Fortunately, our house is small and one story with a basement, so they won't be too far out of hearing and sight. My mom said they may spend their time hiding from our dog, rather than exploring. She has scratching posts for them that she has trained them to use.

We did have a cat a few years ago that someone had abandoned at church camp as a newborn. We had him for two years and he was/is an outdoor cat (our neighbor has him now since they took a strong liking to each other) and he never gave us problems in our home. Maybe it was because he got all his energy out and scratching done outside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muscrat....he's a cutie. I've got a color caddy I'll trade for him. Each pays own shipping. Deal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #44  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

I think I'll keep him. Shipping would cost me a fortune since he's about nineteen pounds! LOL. He's a big boy. Not fat, just long. And I would miss the times he climbs up on my lap and chew on my nose! Even with that awful kitty breath!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Willie Boy is huge...he probably weighs 22-23 pounds. He's big boned and very fat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cat usually gets fed in the morning and when I get home from work. Yesterday, she had already had her daily allotment when she "summoned" me to fill the bowl for the third time. I added a few kibbles but no, she looked at me and swiped at the cabinet door where the food was. Somehow she thought she was being cheated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I think I'm listing him on the B/S/T forum!
Funny. Maybe we could trade for a couple weeks and see how similar ours are.
:lol:
Mine got up on top of the speaker to knock and break and ornament from the tree. Had to move the tree one way and the speaker the other to stop that habit. Now she walks over to the tree, brushes against it and looks over at me. Naughty! Then I give her a face full of water if she starts eating it and doesn't listen to the NO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

oh my! What a fun thread! The antics are hilarious (only because it is happening to someone else). What amazes me is how loudly the kitties can gallop through the hallway at night. No stealthy footsteps (or catsteps).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #49  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Spider and Crash the cats

Our cats - Crash and Spider - are very funny beasts. Spider loves when I stamp because she thinks it is a festival of scraps just for her. I typically haul everything out and work at the kitchen table because it is a good height for me. I get little paper and ribbon trimmings all over the floor, which makes Spider happy. She thinks they are for her to chase and she has a great time scattering them all over the floor. Right now, she is taking them over to the tree to bury them in the tree skirt. Crash sits under the table and watches everything drop to the floor. She usually ends up with glitter or embossing powder on her and then she sparkles for days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Raising hand....happened here a couple weeks ago.

I now closed the craft room door and most other crafts are hanging too high for him to reach.
::scratches head, ponders: What is this door on the craft room you speak of? ::wonders about Mom Cave design::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #51  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'd like to know how ccharrad's cats got their names! LOL So cute!

The door....is because my craft room is a shared old bedroom. Shared with DH for his gun cabinet, but I have 90% of the room! He's okay with that, so I am too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
My cat sleeps. And eats. And sleeps. Wanders around outside periodically. Sleeps. Eats.
That's about it.
Except for that time he brought a live squirrel into the house......
Yeah, our Kitty is half PETA cat, too. Catch and release. And by release, it isn't ever outside. More like Oooh, shiny new inside playboy for the dog and me!

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Crash is named after one of my favorite Dave Matthews Band songs and Kevin Costner's character in Bull Durham. Spider is so named because when we gt her when she was a tiny kitten, she climbed up my leg like a spider monkey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
Thanks Brenda! The canned air is the perfect solution. I will pick some up today when I'm in town.

I love him fully and completely, my little orange and white tabby, Ziggy Stardust.....but he's not the smartest cat I've ever had.
Be VERY careful with canned air. It is exceptionally cold and burns like a son-of-a-gun in any close proximity. I know this because a stupid person I'm no longer in contact with thought it would be funny if....he was also stupid in an number of other levels. Trust me your Sam was smarter than he.

I know you aren't planning on being close to him when you shoot it his way. Just wanted to let you know potential danger with the stuff.

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #55  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccharradView Post
Crash is named after one of my favorite Dave Matthews Band songs and Kevin Costner's character in Bull Durham. Spider is so named because when we gt her when she was a tiny kitten, she climbed up my leg like a spider monkey.
I was picturing Crash named after what he did to your Christmas tree! LOL And Spider is just a cute name for a cute kitty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #56  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 772 Likes on 556 Posts

I don't have a kitty now, but have lots of memories of our yellow tiger kitty named Ti-gr-gr-r! My DH named him T i double grr R. He was an indoor/outdoor kitty. He was sweet and so much fun, but could also take care of himself outside. I remember the day we saw him chasing several neighborhood dogs across the yard .... what a tough kitty he was!

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #57  
Kookie Creator

I've decided today that our older Siamese (12) that our older Tuxedo brought home one day actually is showing signs of late onset bi-polar disease (note: tongue in cheek, and not making light of anyone who lives with same for reals - I know the struggles!) All day he's been snuggling up to me for a few minutes purring and being content, then all of a sudden: whoooooosh! off and running. Then for a change, snuggling up toour dog (Golden/Malmute mix) which makes her VERY nervous, then whooooosh! off to go conquer some other perceived evil intruder, bounding all other. I believe we might need to consult feline psych Dr. for prn for lithium...he's rapid-cycling...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #58  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Mine did the tap tap tap thing trying to knock my watercolor water cup off my desk yesterday, and instead knocked the black inkpad onto the floor - yes - wait for it - inkpad side down!

We lock them in the bedroom with us at night and have sleep trained them- ish. My little black cat sleeps on me without moving forever. My tortie loves to sing the song of her people occasionally. If we let them roam free our house would be destroyed every night I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
We lock them in the bedroom with us at night and have sleep trained them- ish. My little black cat sleeps on me without moving forever. My tortie loves to sing the song of her people occasionally. If we let them roam free our house would be destroyed every night I'm sure.
How in the world did you get them to settle down in your room? Sometimes she comes in and has slept on the bed for most of the night, but usually she is not able to settle down. She wants to play, bite, destroy ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member

We tried letting him stay in our room but he usually ends up sleeping with his butt on my head. Not fun. If I lift up the blanket he climbs underneath but wants to bite my fingers instead if sleeping. Then I hear him climbing on the desk and he claws at the corner of my sheets and tears holes in them. So he gets locked out of the bedroom now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Mine did the tap tap tap thing trying to knock my watercolor water cup off my desk yesterday, and instead knocked the black inkpad onto the floor - yes - wait for it - inkpad side down!
A cat always lands on his/her paws...and ink pads always land ink side down. There's a scientific corollary...but I can't quote it just now. And if you were watercoloring it was either StayzOn, VersaFine, or Ranger Archival. Fun. Hope it wasn't on carpet!

Heading to bed with both the canine and feline furballs now. Everyone have a good evening!

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #62  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Our poor Christmas Tree probably won't make it another week...it looked real pretty for 20 minutes...now 2 weeks later there are 6 branches out, lights hanging down, ornaments on the floor...and somehow the tree has moved about a foot to the left from where it was. Hmmm, my little guy thinks it's a toy.

Oh - and boxes... no box is too small or so he thinks.

Funny thing is that our girl is the one who still has her front claws and could rip our boy to shreds but she's too scared of everything to realize she could...and he has no fear of anything.

Gotta love the furry children. ;)
Attached Thumbnails
So what is your cat up to?-dscn1552.jpg   So what is your cat up to?-boots.jpg   So what is your cat up to?-tree-update-2.jpg   So what is your cat up to?-box.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:34 AM   #63  
Proud Fan Club Member

Zella, your kitty sounds and looks like mine. He still tries to fit into an empty soda box but most of him hangs out. And I took my tree down after he knocked it over for the third or fourth time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:39 AM   #64  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mis.tyView Post
How in the world did you get them to settle down in your room? Sometimes she comes in and has slept on the bed for most of the night, but usually she is not able to settle down. She wants to play, bite, destroy ...
One of them took no training at all.

The other one we had to go through the 14 day Jackson Galaxy sleep training. Play with them till they're exhausted before bed, feed them, and then don't react AT ALL if there are any shenanigans - no yelling, no squirting with water, nothing. Cats don't distinguish between positive and negative behavior, so you're actually rewarding them if you holler at them, and also damage your relationship a bit.

It's a hard 14 days but it really changed the behavior.

Kathy - Splotchy sleeps on my carotid artery - I feel your pain. I'm glad it's only a 7 pound cat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #65  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

One of them took no training at all.

The other one we had to go through the 14 day Jackson Galaxy sleep training. Play with them till they're exhausted before bed, feed them, and then don't react AT ALL if there are any shenanigans - no yelling, no squirting with water, nothing. Cats don't distinguish between positive and negative behavior, so you're actually rewarding them if you holler at them, and also damage your relationship a bit.

It's a hard 14 days but it really changed the behavior.

Kathy - Splotchy sleeps on my carotid artery - I feel your pain. I'm glad it's only a 7 pound cat.
My kitty is about 19 lbs, so sitting on my head is definitely not going to work! LOL He's not fat, he's so long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

If I lift up the blanket he climbs underneath but wants to bite my fingers instead if sleeping.
My kitty Gilly does this too on cold nights, and it's the cutest thing ever! She really burrows in, and she's better than a warming pad. Of course, 7 pounds laying across my ankles or calves as she makes a warm nest for herself on top of the comforter is not so fun...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #67  
Proud Fan Club Member

He loves when I get big SU orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #68  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts
Smile

My cat who has never paid any attention to the Christmas lights actually bit into one and broke the bulb!!! I was gone at the time, and fortunately had unplugged it,because I saw a comment about someone's cat being killed while chewing on the Christmas tree lights! What are the odds of that?
So now, NO Christmas lights again! So thankful my cat is alright. Was a little bummed not to have lights, but would rather have my furry buddy anyday over some lights!!! It just really surprised me, because he'd never shown an interest in them before; just batted at the ornaments.
I did make some safer kitty ornaments to add to the tree; using glitter paper and my cricut.

Here's the perpetrator of the crime...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #69  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

He loves when I get big SU orders.
Oh, he is ADORABLE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #70  
Glitter Guru

Heart

How could I get mad at him?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #71  
Proud Fan Club Member

Awww! You can't stay mad with a face like that! DS sent me a text today with a picture of his grams cat. He says the cat was hanging out watching movies with him, and then took a cat nap! I'll see if I can find the pic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #72  
Proud Fan Club Member

Found it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #73  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Awww! What a cutie! They look so cute when they sleep with their back feet up at their head!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #74  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Came home from work tonight...another tree branch down. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #75  
Proud Fan Club Member

Another one bites the dust!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #76  
Crimping Master

I love this thread. Reading about all the things that are destroyed, the bad habits and getting onto the counters, taking down the Christmas tree over and over, chewing and clawing on things, night time antics keeping everyone awake... I realize my 2 feral kitties are pretty good over all. Thanks for the new perspective.

You all have the patience of Job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #77  

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Awww! What a cutie! They look so cute when they sleep with their back feet up at their head!

It's the Pike Position! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #78  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

While I don't have a cat, my small parrot is seriously mischievous. I was stamping index cards with my MISTI the other day, and he jumped on the stamps right after I had inked them.

The bottom of his foot was Tuxedo black for the rest of the day.

If you think cats are bad, try disciplining a bird who can fly! We have to use a ladder sometimes to get him down off the top of the kitchen cabinets -- especially when he's in a mood to bite the cabinet moldings.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #79  
Proud Fan Club Member

He's so cute! Maybe you can track him by following the bird prints from the ink pads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #80  
Glitter Guru

He is so pretty!
Pike Position! lol.. That's a good one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
While I don't have a cat, my small parrot is seriously mischievous. I was stamping index cards with my MISTI the other day, and he jumped on the stamps right after I had inked them.

The bottom of his foot was Tuxedo black for the rest of the day.

If you think cats are bad, try disciplining a bird who can fly! We have to use a ladder sometimes to get him down off the top of the kitchen cabinets -- especially when he's in a mood to bite the cabinet moldings.

Reply With Quote Likes