Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Snail adhesive is fantastic!

Maybe I am a bit slow on the uptake but......in the past 6 weeks, I acquired my first-ever SU demonstrator and so happy that I did I have seen people use the SU Snail adhesive on videos so this was one of my first purchases from my demo. Oh my gosh - why didn't I buy this product years ago??? As someone that has predominantly used doublesided tape for my cardmaking, boy, is this product such a timesaver and so easy to use - I it!

I also bought some Dazzling Diamonds Glitter cardstock and my demo said I can colour it with ink and I just tried that this afternoon. Yay - it works perfectly and now I can match my glitter cardstock to whatever I am working on.

Just HAD to share my little bit of happiness
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I love snail adhesive. I buy a different brand, but was lucky enough to be introduced to it by a friend when I started cardmaking as a hobby. It is soooo much quicker than tape! I do still use double-sided tape for ribbon and heavier layers.

Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing nicer than finding things that really work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a snail type by tombow, that is repositional, love it, mostly for small items. I also have ATG with permanent glue and also a glue glider pro with both repositional and permanent refills, love how you can change out tape in one easy motion and it adheres and stops so easy on paper application.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Jocelyn,

I don't want to rain on your happiness, but there are a number of threads here on SCS where people have found that the snail runner isn't good for long-term adhesion. It was the only adhesive I used in early cardmaking days. A couple of years later, I went back to those first projects to look them over, and every panel had fallen off, even though I had used the adhesive on every edge and some in the middle. They had been stored in my house, where humidity is controlled. I hoped that the cards I had sent to other people hadn't fallen apart as well.

Now I only use the Tombow snail tape for temporary stuff, like holding down the ends of ribbon for a minute and freeing up my fingers until I can get the permanent adhesive applied.

Best of luck with your new purchases!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,411 Likes on 533 Posts

It's the little things that make life happy! . I, too, love using Snail adhesive. Isn't it great when something so simple can make you grin big?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've received cards from friends who have used the snail adhesive (Tombow or SU) and the layers have fallen apart after a short time. It's nice to use while you're making your projects because it flows smoothly and gives precise control. But how do you feel about your card falling apart in your recipient's hands?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two SU! demos (one is the other's upline) and I don't see them very often. Maybe the snail adhesive has improved since they last mentioned it, but about five years ago, the downline demo told us (a class) that the snail adhesive is not very good, and so we weren't going to use it in the classes, even though she did have to use it for actual SU! parties. Whenever I go to one of these parties, I take the card I made there (she demonstrates four cards and all of us make the fourth one) and I used to take it apart at home and re-adhere everything. It got so eventually I simply just took my ATG gun with me to any SU! party (and not just me, but the other guests did too).

The upline demo has her own ATG gun - she uses it in all of her classes. I've never been to a party with the upline demo, since the downline demo is my main demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I've used snail for years. After I got an ATG i use that at home, but I still use snails when I go to SU classes. Two sided tape drives me bonkers. A number of my friends use it at the classes we go to, but it's not for me.

I don't use SU because I don't want to run out and not be at a class for awhile to order. I think what I use is cheaper and there's no S&H. I think it adheres better too.

I've had them stay together for years! I have a rather large stash of cards I've made over the years at classes and send them out when I don't have time to make one. They are always holding tight!

Maybe they don't hold together forever while the ATG might hold a bit longer, but for classes I go to it's snail all the way!

Glad you found this tool and like it!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 08-03-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbenjamView Post
Jocelyn,

I don't want to rain on your happiness, but there are a number of threads here on SCS where people have found that the snail runner isn't good for long-term adhesion. It was the only adhesive I used in early cardmaking days. A couple of years later, I went back to those first projects to look them over, and every panel had fallen off, even though I had used the adhesive on every edge and some in the middle. They had been stored in my house, where humidity is controlled. I hoped that the cards I had sent to other people hadn't fallen apart as well.

Now I only use the Tombow snail tape for temporary stuff, like holding down the ends of ribbon for a minute and freeing up my fingers until I can get the permanent adhesive applied.

Best of luck with your new purchases!

Mary
Noooooooooooo! I have had issues with cards falling apart in the past. I was using a doublesided tape which said on the pack: acid free - but in less than a year, anything that I still had that used the tape, had fallen apart and the tape was yellow! I still have some reels of the tape and it has gone all yellow so I am sure if wasn't my cardstock or papers. So I changed my doublesided tape brand.

I am really glad that you told me or I would be so cheesed off. I don't have much luck with adhesives. I was using Tombow Mono glue for a while but I just find glue so messy and prefer something that isn't liquid...sigh....:( I just checked out the price of an ATG gun in Australia and it's $40 here for a 1/2 inch or the 1/4 inch wide one and the refills are $11.95. That's alot of money. Are they worth it? And are they easy to use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #11  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Jocelyn,

Stampin Up recently introduced 'Fast Fuse' which is a stronger 'snail' adhesive, so maybe you got 'Fast Fuse'?

I have an ATG gun and, darn it, it's just SO BIG !! I have only used it a few times but I know it's a great product. I have small hands and it's really difficult for me to use the ATG - very cumbersome :( And I've also had some problems with the ATG tape breaking. I'm sure my ATG issues are 'user error'. I probably just need to 'bite the bullet' and practice with my ATG...

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 08-03-2014 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you so much for the information - I will check the Fast Fuse out with my demo. I have small hands too and my hands are no longer strong so I don't find the thought of using the ATG very appealing - it looks so cumbersome in videos that I have seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I just checked out the price of an ATG gun in Australia and it's $40 here for a 1/2 inch or the 1/4 inch wide one and the refills are $11.95. That's alot of money. Are they worth it? And are they easy to use?
Do you have a store you can go to that does professional framing? They use ATG guns. They might let you try it out and hold it.

The gun is a great tool but there is learning a curve. I have two ATG guns. I have the 1/4 inch & the 1/2 inch. I do really love them, especially the 1/2 inch. I still use the tape without the gun. You don't need a gun. I use my guns for big projects. I still use tape runners and ATG tape without the gun for small projects. I like the control.

I have small weak hands. I can hold the guns with no problem. I am also left handed but I do hold the gun with my right hand.

I am editing because I forgot a great tip I learned recently. Apply a glue stick the back of your project and then use your tape runner. Your project will not fall apart. I learned that tip from a bookbinding artist. I can't remember who at the moment.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I use a snail type by tombow too.

I also have used the SU snail and my layers had fallen off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

My favorite adhesive is Tombow Mono Multi (aka Green Glue). It's especially good when you're adhering layers that have been embossed. If you use just a very thin line around the edges (about 1/8" from the edge) of the cardstock, it doesn't get on your hands. I keep mine point end down in the middle of a stack of 3 rolls of washi tape. :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I used to belong to an SU stamp club were the demo insisted that we had to buy Su snail adhesive for the club nights.

Sorry to say but every card I made at club night the layers fell apart. That stuff does NOT hold. Unless Su has changed the formula, I would be very careful. It usually took a month or so for the cards to fall apart.

I now only use Tombow Mono Multi glue- green cap for all my card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #17  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Stampin Up's 'snail' was Tombow. I'm guessing the issues may be why SU has gone to 'fast fuse'.

I personally use Tombow snail and have only had an occasional 'fall off', but one 'fall off' may be one too many ;)

Right now I have a drawer full of Tombow snail refills and I'll use them, but when they're gone, I don't think I'll buy them again. There are just too many extremely reliable glue products out there.

I have recently started using mono multi if I have a concern re: the tombow snail and i love this mono multi

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 08-04-2014 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Fast Fuse! I love it! Won't buy snail any more!

http://www.scraptavie.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I've never found a snail that holds, though it is useful for classes where you are just making something for the technique and can be restuck later if it falls apart and is not bing sent to someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Do you have a store you can go to that does professional framing? They use ATG guns. They might let you try it out and hold it.

The gun is a great tool but there is learning a curve. I have two ATG guns. I have the 1/4 inch & the 1/2 inch. I do really love them, especially the 1/2 inch. I still use the tape without the gun. You don't need a gun. I use my guns for big projects. I still use tape runners and ATG tape without the gun for small projects. I like the control.

I have small weak hands. I can hold the guns with no problem. I am also left handed but I do hold the gun with my right hand.

I am editing because I forgot a great tip I learned recently. Apply a glue stick the back of your project and then use your tape runner. Your project will not fall apart. I learned that tip from a bookbinding artist. I can't remember who at the moment.
Thanks for the tip about the glue stick I don't know of any framers around here (small town) but as I am going to a Craft Show in a few weeks, I might see if one of the Traders has an ATG that I could try out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

I have never used Snail (heard too many negative things about it!) but I just tried Fast Fuse for the first time. Love it! It seems wonderful for those times when an ATG is too cumbersome. Also Fast Fuse refills are basically the same price per foot as the Snail refills (the initial item is more with FF) so why ever use Snail?! You could check out an ATG gun at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Just open the box, take out the gun and see how it feels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Hi Katie, I am in Australia so we don't have Michaels etc. - nor any equivalent craft stores anywhere near me (they have all closed :(). I am going to buy some Fast Fuse from my SU Demonstrator as I tried some at a SU Stand at the Craft Show I went to 2 weeks ago. Didn't take long to get the knack of using it which was good. I don't feel I have wasted my money getting the snail adhesive as I am temporarily sticking things to my cutting board (after first removing some of the 'stickiness') when I need to hold something which is alot easier than using removable tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 02:09 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Hmmmmmmm.......I wonder why my cards made with snails stay together??? Weird. The best I've found is Ad-Tech, but I've had great luck with Elmer's snails from Wal-Mart.

Like I said I do use an ATG at home. My cards I made at classes stay together for years. I DON'T use the dotted snails. They do fall apart. I always have used lots of adhesive. All four sides and lines throughout the middle too. I do this while using my ATG too.

Also, I have seen smaller ATG's, but I don't remember the brand. I know Kristina Werner used one in her videos for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the Tombow 'snail'. My cards stick together (some for going on 5 years or more).

I do burnish the layers using a bone folder for good adhesion. I cover all 4 sides and an X in the middle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you have hit on that you need to use an appropriate amount of adhesive or maybe go into overkill.

Honestly, I know some people put a couple of strips and call it done, but I guess from all my years of watching DIY shows, the more points of permanent contact with an appropriate adhesive, the more stable the bond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I think you have hit on that you need to use an appropriate amount of adhesive or maybe go into overkill.

Honestly, I know some people put a couple of strips and call it done, but I guess from all my years of watching DIY shows, the more points of permanent contact with an appropriate adhesive, the more stable the bond.
Agree! I never realized I put quite a bit of adhesive on until I started watching videos where just a few swipes of snail were used.

I have just always thought you put LOTS on. Never realized there was any other option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Wouldn't it be great to just have ONE adhesive that worked for everything!! I have quite a stash of different types of adhesive - wet and dry: I think I could open a shop!
Reply With Quote Likes