Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegum girlView Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i need to remember that they are dutch and that is were copper wire came from, two dutch men fighting over a penny! ( not trying to hurt feelings here.)

LOL!! No hurt feelings here! ALL my grandmas are Dutch, so I feel your pain. My grandma one time "remembered" it was my birthday, hauled out her purse and gave me two bucks... I was SIXTEEN years old! I still laugh about it today. Six dollars to a Dutch grandma is like $20 to another. Your cards are wonderful BTW.

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=jpmayo;7454741]
A slap in the face is when you see your grandparents and they say "gee, you have gained some wieght"....yes it happened a couple of weeks ago...now that hurt;)

QUOTE]

actually thta happened to my mom a few months ago when she went to see her aunt. Aunt Clara really is loosing it and sees mom as a 16yo kid not a 44yo! She kept telling mom that she really had gotten fat lately. mom laughed if off because she new A. Clara is loosing her facualties. A. Clara also seemed to think she was marrying one of the men at teh home there , even tho he didnt know about it!!! One of teh nieces taht works at the home told her dad to go set A. Clara staight and he took care of taht.

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

I personally would not have charged my grandmother for the cards. I have a sister-in-law that everytime she comes over says she needs cards like a couple Thank Yous and says I can't afford to buy cards, could I have some of yours. Of course I give them to her, but I think this takes guts as my brother & her go out to eat at least 4 times a week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebasicscrapperView Post
I can somewhat relate to the above with my grandma but it was the reverse - I gave my Polish grandma a pair of nice slippers for Christmas one year and she let me know that she didn't need or want them and instead wanted a 6 pack of beer! LOL

Chelsey, your cards are gorgeous. I especially love the blue/brown color combo!

ROFL!!! Well, we need something to wash down our kielbasa and pierogi! LOL

Seriously, I think it's a generational thing. My mom was 83 this year and people that age are sometimes very hesitant to spend money on things. Don't take it to heart, Chelsey, think of it as, you gave your grandma a discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

You need to find validation and appreciation from others who do creative work and have a true appreciation for the work you do.

It's like me trying to admire the work of an auto mechanic. I am very pleased if he fixes my car for very little money and it runs great! I have no clue what he had to do or the knowledge he needed to fix it. He may be really pleased with himself for his diagnosing and repair skills and he can tell I'm not really interested in hearing what he had to do. All I seem to thank him for is the small bill and fast service! Should his feelings be hurt?

I've been selling crafts off and on for many years. I can tell you that sometimes I will not be very happy with something I have made and that will be the first thing that sells out. Sometimes, what I have made I am very pleased with and think people will want and I can't give them away. I've learned to just accept that people have different tastes or they might just be looking for something else. You can't take it personally. Learn to get the joy from the creative process and if you can sell some to help cover the expeses that just a big bonus!

In the gallery here, I look at how many views a card has, not how many comments. I feel pleased if people take the time to take a closer look at my cards, I'm not dependent on them taking the time to comment. If they do, that's just icing.

Good luck and keep up the beautiful work you are doing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Chelsey, i love your cards, and i love your name, it is my daughters name. don't worry about your grandmother, let it roll! i like the suggestion about putting your cards in a basket with a price on them. That way there is no question about what she should pay you for them.
and I'm still laughting about theresa's post. OMG your father in law sounds just like mine! lol I would have told him that the french script said jerk, and other things ykwim over and over again! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Your cards are drop dead gorgous! I'm a grandma and I'd pay extra for my g-kids. My 11 yr. old g-son just cleaned my van for me and I gave him $15.00 and his dad complained that I pay too much. That's what some g-mas do! Hey, he did a great job, top to bottom, end to end......I might want him to do it again!! lol I think the fact your g-ma didn't take time to show appreciation for the beautiful work you do is more the issue than the $2.00.

My parents are in their 80's and my dad keeps asking me if I make my cards on the computer!!! I have never once seen one of my cards on their mantle or displayed anywhere in their home, but they have Christmas cards from Billy Graham from the last 10 yrs. on display!! Go figure!! You'd think they were personal cards or something not the one of several 100 thousand the ministry sends out!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

some ppl just want the project, and they want to fly outta there immediately. Some don't really care how it's done, they just care that it's pretty, KWIM? I should know I'm making around 50 invites for a 15th b-day party for my dh's niece, and yup they will be free ;) I don't care as long as dh buys me more supplies ;) hehehe I'm evil of course cause I'm saying that the stuff is way much more than what I spent! Well.....don't judge me for being cruel! I must compensate for my labor somewhere, right? hehehe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_tacstamperView Post
Personally, I would have just given her the cards for free...it's your grandmother......
ditto
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

I cant bring myself to charge my family, it feels wrong to me. I dont have a large family, but my husband does and if someone wants a card or a gift or likes something then I just make it for them.

I just couldnt take money from a family member and then if I did I really couldnt complain about it.

We've all been poor and or starving students at some point and I know it's hard with families and all the weird dynamics but in the end it's 3 cards and your Grandma paid you for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Get out!! You are only 17 and you created those?!? Wow, you are so talented. Now, putting grandma aside from the situation I would absolutely agree those cards are worth $3 MINIMUM. I have only 'sold' one and that's cause I gave it to a coworker and she FORCED me to take money saying she asked for it to give to a friend. Good job....maybe you will be the youngest Dirty Dozen girl one of these days!!

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Reply With Quote Likes