Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to say something really negative here and I am sure I will get really flamed for this. But some of my favourite blogs have gone on to do stuff for certain companies and then the English language takes a beating. I don't speak like that, this person now all of a sudden has to speak like that and it bugs the heck out of me. So I discontinue that blog and move on to other ones.

Lorri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post
I am going to say something really negative here and I am sure I will get really flamed for this. But some of my favourite blogs have gone on to do stuff for certain companies and then the English language takes a beating. I don't speak like that, this person now all of a sudden has to speak like that and it bugs the heck out of me. So I discontinue that blog and move on to other ones.

Lorri
I hope you don't get flamed here for stating your opinion, because you stated the bottom line.... you just have to let go and move on. Nothing wrong with that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #43  
Gallery Gazer

I really don't mind the singular product theme of a blog - I am guilty of that being a TAC demo - since I like to see different ideas/styles and think, what can I do with the stamps I have on hand? I finally started unsubscribing to beautiful blogs where I loved to look at the cards but I realized, no way no how would I ever be able to take all the time to create something like that! My Google Reader runneth over! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have stopped reading several blogs because they became too commercial. Every other day the author would tout some product as the best thing they had ever seen and for a period of time that was the only product in their samples.

One of my former favorites used to share personal thoughts as motivators, and described actual techniques. But she hasn't said a word about herself or her family in forever and I certainly haven't seen a technique in even longer on her blog. It's even hard to find the entires amidst the ads all over the screen now.

I get sick of the product pushing - makes me feel like I am on a used car sales lot with a pushy sales guy who stopped listening to me after I said "hi my name is".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Well now I'm going to step in it.

I read tons of blogs. Actually I scan them. If I like the card, etc that is on there, then I'll actually read through the blog. I don't use Copics, but I don't really care if everyone else in the whole wide world uses them. Just cost too much for me. However almost every blog I scan uses them. It's like some kind of obsession or something.

But here's my thing: I don't think these bloggers are "slaves" to a company. They wanted to be on a DT. That was their thing. They wanted to showcase products that matched their style. Cool. I don't think I ever want to be on a DT because I don't want to get stuck with one style at all.

If it weren't for the DT members, how else would a company get their product out there for people to see? The blog hops are cool, especially Spellbinders. I don't see these people as being "slaves" to a company but as a marketing tool for that company. And, from what I can see, they truly enjoy those products and like using them. Otherwise, it would be silly, IMO, to have even tried out for the DT in the first place.

This has been my opinion. I now return you to your quandary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #46  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting thread. Lots of food for thought here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #47  
NwP
Kookie Creator

I definitely hear what the OP is saying. This doesn't happen all of the time, by any means, but it does happen. True, I can click away and that is that, but it is disappointing when this happens.

I don't have anything against design teams, or people who want to be on them. When talented people get free stuff in exchange for publicizing it to the rest of us, then we all win. I just don't like feeling that I am being sold something. When I read a blog and forget or don't realize in the first place that somebody is on a DT, that makes me willing to see more. When I look at a blog and know immediately that somebody is trying to move a product, then that person loses credibility as an artist/craftsperson.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

I am not nor have ever been on a DT.
Blogging has become a huge advertising media which is why Congress passed a law that says blogger must plainly state they get free products or compensation for the products they recommend. All of course try to soften this statement by saying they would not promote a product they don't love.

Some companies are generous with the products they give their bloggers and let them use their own creativity.
Other companies give them a couple of stamps or limited product and then tell the DT member what colors and theme they expect them to use. In my opinion This kills creativity . These companies choose the person for their DT because they had unique ideas and then they dictate what the person must design.

Some blogger have a store and of course want to sell their products so they not only use the same products over and over, but every other sentence has a link to their store.

I have stopped reading a few blogs for both of these reasons

I have no problem with DT members and love the ideas they share, but when I feel the advertising side has vastly overtaken the creative side I get bored and move on.
My 2�

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 10-14-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who is new to the Design Team world, I also find this interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #50  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
Well now I'm going to step in it.

I read tons of blogs. Actually I scan them. If I like the card, etc that is on there, then I'll actually read through the blog. I don't use Copics, but I don't really care if everyone else in the whole wide world uses them. Just cost too much for me. However almost every blog I scan uses them. It's like some kind of obsession or something.

But here's my thing: I don't think these bloggers are "slaves" to a company. They wanted to be on a DT. That was their thing. They wanted to showcase products that matched their style. Cool. I don't think I ever want to be on a DT because I don't want to get stuck with one style at all.

If it weren't for the DT members, how else would a company get their product out there for people to see? The blog hops are cool, especially Spellbinders. I don't see these people as being "slaves" to a company but as a marketing tool for that company. And, from what I can see, they truly enjoy those products and like using them. Otherwise, it would be silly, IMO, to have even tried out for the DT in the first place.

This has been my opinion. I now return you to your quandary.
You hit the nail on the head here IMO!

I am on a few teams, have been on one for almost 3 years- it's like family and there isn't any slavery going on! Just a desire to stamp with some of my favorite stamps around! ;)

I started with Spellbinders this year and am so excited for ALL the fun I am having! And yes, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the products I work with! Otherwise, it is point less... I do try to contain my excitement and try not to sound like a used car salesman when posting.

The flip side though, when you do share projects, if you don't spell some of the info out, you just get emails/comments about it later, so may as well just put all the info out there for any and every one!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't disappeared, i've been reading all posts with interest. Ok DT members, i'm begining to get a fuller picture, but as a few othr peeps have said some bloggers can't seem to do a post without making links to companies for every product used in the card. It must take so long to do this. Also the blogger seems to have swept all their old stuff aside in favour of the new company. I used to visit one particular blog excitedly wondering what she would come up with next, then suddenely every card was an Anya. I often wonder if she secretly has a yearning to ditch the blessed Anyas and get her old toys out. And yes there's the Blinking blinkies going on in the sidebars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #52  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

huh ... interesting thoughts and replies!

I've got to say that I am predominantly an SUO stamper because I love the product not because I'm solely trying to promote it as an SU demo. I always have been. I don't have tons of linking other than to the challenges I participate in and my "blinking" things are waaaaaaaaaay down in the bottom of my blog 'cause I really dislike blinking annoying things

I can't say that I have issue with any DT blogs as indicative of their styles, however. I find that really good artists vary up their projects enough that I always come back for more inspiration, regardless of any product brand/DT positions/etc.

When a style doesn't change -- for example -- an artist ALWAYS uses the same item on EVERY single project for over a year -- I just get sick of it ... we are all victim of following a trend of some sort for some time, just not forever.

oh well ... to each their own! Isn't there a saying that says something along the lines of:

You can please some of the people all of the time.
You can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please ALL the people ALL of the time ...

There's tons of variety out there for everyone .. and that's my two cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had more time to ponder this very interesting post.

I always took the time to link to products (no design team, nothing free) as a courtesy to my readers in the unlikely event that they looked at one of my creations and decided that they HAD to have the item I was using! It was very time consuming. Now I do it for the DTs I am on and randomly for other stuff.

There are some bloggers who only use products that they get for free or as part of a paid job. They are some of my favorite bloggers. Their work is outstanding. They could use the dust under my bed as a stamp and create something stunning.

I don't care if they blog once a month or every day. I dont' care it they get paid, in fact I hope they do and lots of it -- it would be nice if SOMEONE was making money at this!

I am not a huge fan of lots of lots and lots of overtly promotional material. A good stamper's work often speaks for itself. I see their work and immediately imagine that if only I had that product I could make something that wonderful! The magic of marketing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #54  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
A good stamper's work often speaks for itself.
Exactly.

I do get turned off by this type of wording, too... "OMG, did you see the latest release at _______? It is the bestest thing in all the world! How did we ever LIVE before this came out? RUN over there right now - you NEED it TOO!" Of course I'm exaggerating... a bit... heheh...

But if your work with that image or line or product sings - those who are inspired will follow.
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 10-14-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #55  

I think in general, too, linking to companies or product we use is a common courtesy to people who might want to check out what you have used.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #56  

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
huh ... interesting thoughts and replies!

I've got to say that I am predominantly an SUO stamper because I love the product not because I'm solely trying to promote it as an SU demo. I always have been. I don't have tons of linking other than to the challenges I participate in and my "blinking" things are waaaaaaaaaay down in the bottom of my blog 'cause I really dislike blinking annoying things

I can't say that I have issue with any DT blogs as indicative of their styles, however. I find that really good artists vary up their projects enough that I always come back for more inspiration, regardless of any product brand/DT positions/etc.

When a style doesn't change -- for example -- an artist ALWAYS uses the same item on EVERY single project for over a year -- I just get sick of it ... we are all victim of following a trend of some sort for some time, just not forever.

oh well ... to each their own! Isn't there a saying that says something along the lines of:

You can please some of the people all of the time.
You can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please ALL the people ALL of the time ...

There's tons of variety out there for everyone .. and that's my two cents
I heart you, Ren�e.

AND...You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. For the most part, however, you can't pick your friend's nose. LOL!

I have my blog faves and visit them regularly. Sometimes if they're on a DT, it can get repetitive with certain products, but then so do I with my SU stuff. I don't delete blogs from my reader, I just visit every once in awhile instead of every single time they post.

Advertising doesn't really bug me because I've been turned on to many a cool thing that has just been mentioned on a blog.

As for bloggers disappearing...I always try to warn my readers that my life will be crazy for awhile so I'll be back to post when I can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #57  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane speedView Post
I haven't disappeared, i've been reading all posts with interest. Ok DT members, i'm begining to get a fuller picture, but as a few othr peeps have said some bloggers can't seem to do a post without making links to companies for every product used in the card. It must take so long to do this. Also the blogger seems to have swept all their old stuff aside in favour of the new company. I used to visit one particular blog excitedly wondering what she would come up with next, then suddenely every card was an Anya. I often wonder if she secretly has a yearning to ditch the blessed Anyas and get her old toys out. And yes there's the Blinking blinkies going on in the sidebars.
I link because if not I get emails like crazy asking where to get stuff. I don't sell things on my blog. I make cards. It's similar to listing products when I upload to the gallery here... if I don't tell people what company things are I get PMs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #58  

(not PMS?)
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #59  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
(not PMS?)
Not anymore. Ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

It's really quite the conundrum, isn't it? The blogger has the right to post what they want on their own blog and the blog reader has the right to stop reading the blog if, for whatever reason, the blog content is no longer relevant and/or interesting to them. If that reason is the blogger being accepted to a DT has turned the blog reader off then doesn't it somewhat defeat the purpose for the stamp company being featured?
If a tree falls in a forest and all that??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #61  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think a blog is very personal, and people have them for different reasons. Mine is to share ideas and maybe inspire a person or two. Yes, I am and have been on design teams, but that doesn't mean that I'm not sharing my own ideas. And I'm certainly not a "slave" to any company. If someone doesn't like what I put on my blog, whether it's for a design team assignment or not, (s)he is completely free to move on to the next blog. As Ricky Nelson said, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." And it pleases me to share and (hopefully) inspire others. Just my 4 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I am very passionate about my cards and my DT work (some of my family members don't understand my enthusiasm - after all, it's just a card - people throw them away....) and I guess it's difficult to find a happy medium in being encouraging, enthusiastic and positive about what you want to "Show and Tell" when writing up a post. My cardmaking is an escape from an ongoing painful illness of 3+ years (which I have never mentioned on my Blog) - I don't know if I am over-enthusiastic but I really do feel genuinely very excited about my cardmaking - and I don't want to be all super-negative do a post to my readers and say "my pain is terrible today so no new posts till next week" 'cos I don't want sympathy or advice. My Blog is my fantasy world where all is happy and joyful - and it's free - I LOVE that it is free!! I do add links to my posts (which isn't hard) to the products for the Store I work for - because people email and ask where to find them at the online Store - and as a courtesy to the Store which I know they appreciate.

I also appreciate links in other people's Blogs because it saves me time in finding the product that I like. And I love the details - it helps me and I learn alot!! I guess with other Bloggers being super-excited about some new thing - well, it's OK 'cos if I don't want to read what they are saying, I just look at the pictures (bit like muting an ad on TV). Which I am sure lots of people do when they look at my Blog too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmm... I knew my blog needed a revamp.... but I'm not on a DT I just do it for love and somewhere to share back some of the inspiration I have received from a variety of sources over the years.

I have to admit I feel awkward blogging stamps from a company that still sells but several stampers went around the garden more than once waiting for orders... but they are what I bought and I buy to keep and keep using.

FWIW I updated my blog about 8 days straight recently - getting caught up with it and I think I was the only person to access it! I had to laugh. Oh well its there if anyone stumbles across it. :lol:

As for other blogs - it depends on my mood. I used to follow some blogs that were heavily into Tim Holtz and although I like his work the idolatry kinda puts me off so I don't tune into them as much because I already know what I'm going to get. So maybe that is as much as what the poster is saying is that if you already know what you are going to get when you click sometimes it can put you off clicking. I know it does for me and yet these people aren't over the top DT'ers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

quite the conundrum...having a personal blog and being on a DT (rarely free product, we only have occasional sponsors...we pretty much make up our own challenges and let anyone who wants to play along with us!)...i will say that my blog reflects a lot of what is currently in my interest...i went through the Anya phase...i was just really getting into copics (which i shunned forever it seems because i felt they were just "everywhere" and now i love my copic collection) and Anya's are fabulous (IMHO) to learn to color with...and their images are adorable...prior to the Anya invasion on my own blog (I know...she's everywhere! LOL!) I was back and forth with my styles...and just recently for several posts i was back into distressing and grunge and getting funky with it! the point of my long ramble...each person's blog is often a reflection of what they are spending a lot of time with...at that time. some people change their style up every few months and then that's a lot of what their posts will be. if they've received product from a company and they really enjoy the product...good chance that's what they will choose to play with more frequently...or at least until something else comes along that strikes their fancy. as a blog "viewer" i have also stopped visiting some blogs...more because of the changes within my own styles...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by laadeedaaView Post
..each person's blog is often a reflection of what they are spending a lot of time with...at that time. some people change their style up every few months and then that's a lot of what their posts will be. if they've received product from a company and they really enjoy the product...good chance that's what they will choose to play with more frequently...or at least until something else comes along that strikes their fancy. as a blog "viewer" i have also stopped visiting some blogs...more because of the changes within my own styles...
I think you may have hit on the source of some people's dissatisfaction with blogs they used to enjoy.
I have a current style and products I like using so I visit blogs that showcase cards in a style I am currently enjoying. If my favorite designers goes off in a different direction I lose interest in their blog. That designer will pick up visitors who like the new style of that designer .

I think because this is such a diversified hobby we do the " interest shuffle" when looking at blogs. Lose interest in some blogs and start watching other blogs LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I think you may have hit on the source of some people's dissatisfaction with blogs they used to enjoy.
I have a current style and products I like using so I visit blogs that showcase cards in a style I am currently enjoying. If my favorite designers goes off in a different direction I lose interest in their blog. That designer will pick up visitors who like the new style of that designer .

I think because this is such a diversified hobby we do the " interest shuffle" when looking at blogs. Lose interest in some blogs and start watching other blogs LOL
agree completely! as we each grow we develop new interests...or feel the pull of the latest trend or style...we feel the pull of those that are creating along similar threads...natural tendency
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #67  

It might be more about time than creativity.

I want to keep my blog unique so I only post original designs, techniques and tutorials but it takes a lot of time. Whenever I've been asked to do special features I know my blog suffers.

I need a clone that loves to work, cook and clean so I can just stamp & post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #68  
Kookie Creator

I think someone already said this, but here's my opinion. It's a bit disappointing when a blogger I like becomes a DT member for a stamp company that doesn't appeal to me. That said, I hold no grudge against the blogger. Good for her for being recognized amongst her peers as a valuable marketing asset for the company. If I'm still inspired or amused by what the blogger posts, I continue to follow the blog. If I'm not inspired or amused, and the blog becomes heavily skewed towards the company that doesn't appeal to my style, I move on. Same thing for those bloggers who now have Etsy shops. One of my former favorite bloggers now heavily uses the products she sells in her shop on her cards. Those products don't appeal to me. This blogger used to inspire me daily. Now I rarely find inspiration there (not her fault she likes and sells stuff I don't like), but I still like to read what she posts about her family life, so the blog stays in my Google Reader. There are other blogs that I find myself skimming more often, rather than reading, but I take that as a good thing. I spend too much time reading blogs, anyway.

I do understand what the OP is saying, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post

Lorri
I hear ya there...I can probably even guess the "certain companies" (but I won't)...the odd word or two would be okay but when the entire post is written in their new way of talking I start walking...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

I should also add that I am on a design team but I can use whatever I want to showcase the stamps from that company and only have to post something once a week. I chose to apply for this DT because they carry things that I use to make my cards.

I *hope* my blog is not of a kid the OP was mentioning. My blog is there purely for me as motivation to make a card or a papercraft so I can update my blog. If I leave it too long it forces me to sit down and get crafty. That was the original intention of my blog and will always be its main purpose.

The OP does make some very valid observations - I agree with just about everything she said. Some of the responses are very valid too and I'll continue to follow this thread with interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jactopView Post

I need a clone that loves to work, cook and clean so I can just stamp & post.

So funny!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I agree with the OP, and that's why my blog list changes frequently. Recently, Roni Johnson of Ink Stains (a great blog) addressed this issue, explaining what she does to avoid her blog's becoming only a promotional tool for the companies whose design teams she's on. To me she does a great balancing act, which is an even greater joy to her readers!
Oh my goodness...thank you so much

You're such a sweetie!!

I was really dreading this thread cause I worry about it and try really hard NOT to get into a rut.

Ink Stains
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #73  
Mad Swapper

What a great thread. And, I have to admit - guilty as charged. When I was a guest designer on Mo's Digital Pencil challenge blog for a month, I only had time that month to post my commitments to Mo. (Yep, full time job with travel, and all the time commitments and sweet amenities of a precious family.) I picked up on it myself that my blog was turning in a one-note Sally. So now I design for an on-line store with products from multiple manufacturers - so I still get to design with some variety. I've just been invited to another design time for a stamp manufacturer, so I'm going to have to really watch that it doesn't get too one-dimensional.

As for changing . . . I agree with what most everyone else has said. I still stay true to my style - whatever that is. So I'm selective about what design teams I apply for and have turned down a few. I get that the precious readers I have follow me because they like what they've seen so far, so I'd never risk losing them. And, I just don't do well or have fun trying something I don't really like myself. (I just can't do cats.)

Thanks to the OP for reminding me to stay true and shake it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with the OP. I have many blogs that I no longer follow or look at because the person is now on a design team and only makes cards with those products. Since I don't care for the digis or stamps they are promoting (think big eyed kids, kids without faces, goth or vampire type images.) I delete it from my Google Blog Reader list.

I hope those trends pass on soon....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #75  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

A personal blog is just that---people are free to come, visit, subscribe and unsubscribe as they see fit.

If a person is a slave to their dt---I would hope it is because they LOVE the dts they are part of. If so...wonderful. If not...their work will suffer.

As one poster said (I think it was Joan!)...there are some people in this industry who can make something gorgeous with dust....well said. I love all the talent I can find just a click away!!!!

In the end, it doesn't really matter if others love your work--as long as you love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I have been a SU demonstrator and just recently got invited onto a DT, which I am honored to be a part of. My personal blog is mainly for my pleasure and if others like it and want to become a follower, Great! BUT, I am not out to see how many followers I can acquire, and like Jeanne said, I link things only for the convenience of those who might be interested in the source. I left SU because of the blog issue to start with because I did not want those kinds of restrictions put on my personal work. I hope I have tried to stay somewhat lead to the images I love no matter what company they are produced by. I think of myself as a rubberstamp artist, and not a business minded promoter. If my blog is taking on this look that so many of you are discribing. I'm sorry, but I post what I want to post, it's my blog and fortunately there is the button you can click to leave it if it is not what you are interested in.I have found the more I come to use a stamp, the more I come to love it, and I think people are interested in seeing how many various ways one set can be used rather than how many different stamp sets I have in my huge collection. JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Hmmm... I knew my blog needed a revamp.... but I'm not on a DT I just do it for love and somewhere to share back some of the inspiration I have received from a variety of sources over the years.

I have to admit I feel awkward blogging stamps from a company that still sells but several stampers went around the garden more than once waiting for orders... but they are what I bought and I buy to keep and keep using.

FWIW I updated my blog about 8 days straight recently - getting caught up with it and I think I was the only person to access it! I had to laugh. Oh well its there if anyone stumbles across it. :lol:

As for other blogs - it depends on my mood. I used to follow some blogs that were heavily into Tim Holtz and although I like his work the idolatry kinda puts me off so I don't tune into them as much because I already know what I'm going to get. So maybe that is as much as what the poster is saying is that if you already know what you are going to get when you click sometimes it can put you off clicking. I know it does for me and yet these people aren't over the top DT'ers.
The only blog I follow about Tim Holtz is Tim Holtz. I have never been one to get into idolatry of anyone in the craft industry.

I was just reading through this thread again and realized that I have a blog. I completely forgot about it. That's how much attention I pay to it. A lot of it has to do with not knowing what I'm going to say or forgetting to take pictures of my stuff that I make to put on there.

I don't really "read" the blogs I subscribe to. I'd be cross-eyed if I did. I just check out the pictures and look at the supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonijjView Post
Oh my goodness...thank you so much

You're such a sweetie!!

I was really dreading this thread cause I worry about it and try really hard NOT to get into a rut.
Roni, your blog is a pleasure,
Your art work a treasure! L.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 - Your cards are beautiful. I just checked out (and subscribed to) your blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
I am on a couple of design teams that have images that suit my style but I use old reitred images that still are fun for me and many new ones from other companies as well. But...my blog is my blog and I create projects that make me happy, gives me stress relief and a creative outlet. I have a fairly limited style of stamping and limited time to play. If it doens't make me happy then it doesn't get done. Many people have joined and dropped my blog and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all. I figure they are on to blogs that fit their need at the time. Also, it is absolutely true that as we have growth in the craft of stamping we start finding our own unique style that feels just right for us. It may take time but it does happen. I think people that have little growth in own their stamping styles are ones that are ever changing trying to keep up with the latest new "trick" out there. For me....just give me a paint brush, reinkers, watercolor paper and an open line image to paint and to create a scene around and I am a happy girl. Boring for many but gives me joy. That's just about all anyone will ever find in my blog.
Kittie, I really appreciate what you said. Except, I am not on any DT's. But, my blog is my blog and I do what makes me happy. I am delighted if it brings joy to someone else as well, but the bottom line is I do it because I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes