Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which setter is better??

I want to get one of the new setters you don't use with a hammer.
Provo crafts have one and so does Making Memories.
Which one works best?
thanks
j-me
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Hi-
I have the Provocraft Silent setter and it works great on the SU eyelets. You have to push harder to set the others that are a harder metal-but it works. I am not happy with the zip up case and the foam form that they have put in it. The zipper has come apart because the case fits so tightly around the foam form. I have also had the tips fall out because the foam has stretched-I'm afraid I'll lose them. Also the whole case is big compared to the size of the tool-I like things a little more compact. In other words...the tool works great, but the packaging could be better.
I just bought my sister the MM setter. The tin is about the same size and also has foam inserts to hold the tips. Probably will get loose also over time. You do get one extra tip - a large setting tip that is not in the provocraft kit.
There are a couple other differences I see. One is in the handle shape. I like the shape of the provocraft better- it is larger and distributes the pressure over a larger area on your palm, instead of a smaller area.
Also, the MM one has a heavy duty spring in the handle that must be compressed before you can cut your hole or set the eyelet-it takes a little more effort-I like the Provocraft one better in that respect also.
You do get a mat that is twice as big with the MM setter.
I do like the MM setting tips better, but not the hole punches. The MM(punch) tips are short and taper quickly, whereas the Provocraft ones are longer and the taper is less. I can see that the MM steep taper could be a problem if you push too much - the hole will get stretched -and may be too large then.
Overall, I guess I like the provocraft setter better, although I will probably put it in another container eventually.
Hope this helps,
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I have the Better Setter and like it......no tips to lose. It can be too powerful for the SU eyelets though......I just set them with my Fiskar 1/16" handheld punch. You can search the web for better setter and his website has pictures. I have the set that has three tools (each about 6" long). I use one (purple/red) most of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen them both in action. I chose the Silent Setter because it is, well, silent. The MM setter makes noise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I have two systems. One is the Silent Setter as mentioned above. I love it! Although you have to use it on a solid surface, as with any setter. My "work" table gives somewhat, so I occasionally have to get down on the floor. LOL I also have a hammer/setter set (the "old fashioned" way LOL) that I use for some eyelets that are too hard for the silent setter. But I have small children and I wanted the Silent Setter because....well....it's SILENT! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #6  
One TOT Mom

I got the MM setter and I am really happy with it so far. I makes a very quite click sound to let you know the it has set or punched, but by no means is it loud. Much quiter and quicker than the constant hammering!! I have not tried any others. I got the MM one b/c they carry it at Michaels and I had the 50% off coupon! To me that was a deal maker! I have not been able to find any other silent setter on sale for that price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Default thanks

Thank you for saving me $$ and making my choice easier..
Silent Setter it is!!

J-me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do you guys think SU will have a setter in their new catalog? 16 more days till we find out!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default eyelet setters

Well " I love my Clik-it" it the best I've used. I alway hated using the old way with my hammer. and since I'm stamper that likes to stamp after Dh has gone to bed, my clik-it works super well for this
But We all have our opinoin and whatever works for me might not work for you. So I would try someone elses to see if you like it before buying it.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes