Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending cards - just for the heck of it. Who's with me?

Reading several threads lately, I realized that I'm not alone in making cards but never sending them out. Sounds like there are a lot of cards sitting in boxes in craft rooms, complete and lovely but unused.

I have made a decision that I'm going to send more cards, just for the heck of it. I have so far, sent one last week to a couple who is just getting their relationship started, and another this week to a friend who cancelled her wedding. The cards do a lot more good going to new homes than sitting in my craft room.

My new goal is to send at least one card each week for no particular reason. Who else is with me?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

What a great idea...I LOVE it. I have so many cards upstairs that are just sitting there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I worry if my cards are going to a good home. It's frustrating to think of all that time spent, and maybe the card goes in the trash. Perhaps I could include an appropriate sized frame or shadowbox so The card stays pretty. Or one of those things that is temperature and humidity controlled. Or a GPS so I know if they take it anywhere. Our cards do become our children in a way.....J/K on everything but the first 2 and last sentences........I'm not that nutty.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #4  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

I think this is a great idea! I will try it with you, one card a week whether there is a traditional card 'event' or not. Sounds completely doable (is that a word?). Thanks for a wonderful idea!

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I send so many to the troops and supply my church ministry and two swim teams AND a basket at my hubbys office so I NEVER have an extra card when I need one. I am always raiding my stash for one of these things...lol. It is fun sending the cards out ladies.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been sending out cards for no reason to my nephew and niece for a while now. My goal is one card per kid per day but so far I have failed massively and it's more like one card per kid per WEEK. Sometimes I manage to send cards twice a week. I also never have a card when I need one. They have all been sent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been on a mission to send out "cheer-up" cards to my unemployed friends. They really enjoy the pick up and I get to use up all these cards I keep making! It is a win-win situation because then we both feel good!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a "rotating" list of about 30 or so people that I send cards to for no occasion. They all love getting the cards, and I enjoy making and sending them. I mean, who doesn't like to get something personal in the mail that's NOT a bill, or addressed to "Occupant."

The people on the list include friends, relatives, and sometimes people here and there that I'm only slightly acquainted with that I think would enjoy receiving a card.

For example, there is a very sweet elderly widow who lives across the street from my daughter. I don't really know her, except to wave when I visit my dd. But she always brings little holiday treats over for my daughter's 6 children, so I send her cards.

Send those cards out, gals, and bring a little sunshine to someone's day!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Operation Write Home is an excellent place to donate cards for the troops! They give them out to the troops so that they can write home and they appreciate them SO much! Here's the link if anyone is interested:

Operation Write Home
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Default I agree, I've been doing the

same thing since the first of the year. I've run out of people to send to so I went on a couple scrapbook websites and said that if someone emailed my their address or left a comment on my blog, I would send them a card. I sent 10 cards in the last two days. Same go's here, if you want to leave your address on my or blog or email it to me I'll send a card. I am having so much fun sending them. I had someone tell me to use the phone book, but that seemed weird and who knows if they would appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I love sending a card just because. I just need to learn to make them quicker--it is always good to get good mail from anyone. Even anonymous cards are fun too. I send some of those too---just a thinking of you or whatever. Don't save them--send them. It will bring a smile to someones day I guarantee it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Sounds like a great idea. One card a week is definitely possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great idea! Count me in. I do send my aunt, who is in poor health, cards on a regular basis to let her know she is in my thoughts. I think I will send some to people who I think about, but rarely see, to just let them know I still think of them fondly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Yeah! I'm so glad that you're with me.

eaparham - I don't worry about that. My MIL keeps all of them I've given her in a box. My sister has one displayed in her hall bathroom. Coworkers have them on their bulletin boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Well you have all inspired me !! dmaggt .. what a lovely idea to send to your Aunt.. it made me think of my Grandma who is 93 .. I think I will send her a card just to let her know I am thinking of her.

I do the birthday thing at my job .. They were buying cards and I sent a list around asking people their favorite colors, what they were interested in etc .. and now I make a card totally personalized for them !!! One Girl put hers in a frame on her desk !!! That was a big honor and now the other girls can't wait til their birthday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I am totally in on this fantastic idea, as soon as I find the top surface of my table!!! I will start tomorrow, or maybe the next day, for sure on Monday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Totally loving this idea! I'm on board!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Default Agreed!

I was cleaning my office and found about 50 various cards. It was like seeing an old friend as I took the time to revisit each one and remember the set, color, inspiration. I came on here looking for RAK's...does anyone still list those? I love the idea of sending cards to people I know "just because" and also the Operation Write Home link.
This site is always inspiring!
Thank you for the uplift and the great ideas!!
My goal is to write and address 7 cards to mail on Monday! I always love getting mail and I think other people do, too!
Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm usually looking for anyone who is not feeling well to send cards to, single or widowed people don't get enough cards either

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
Reading several threads lately, I realized that I'm not alone in making cards but never sending them out. Sounds like there are a lot of cards sitting in boxes in craft rooms, complete and lovely but unused.

I have made a decision that I'm going to send more cards, just for the heck of it. I have so far, sent one last week to a couple who is just getting their relationship started, and another this week to a friend who cancelled her wedding. The cards do a lot more good going to new homes than sitting in my craft room.

My new goal is to send at least one card each week for no particular reason. Who else is with me?

ME!!! I like to send cards just because!! And I like to get them, too!!
I try to keep my stash of cards in a managable order. And all the more to make more, right??!!

jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm in, too! I do occasionally send cards for no special reason, but not as often as I could. I know plenty of people who I'm sure would appreciate the little pick-me-up once in a while; actually, that's probably true of anyone. I think I'll try to start with a goal of two per week. And if I start sending more cards, that means I'll "have" to make more cards.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Suggestions...

Here on Splitcoast:

Need a Lift forum.Card Requests

Receive a Card, Send a Card

Or join the RAK group (click on your profile and find group Memberships) You can then download a list of hundreds and hundreds of Splitcoast members w/addresses and birthdays.
After your RAK membership is accepted, you can also open this thread and donate cards for children who spend much of their time in hospitals. More info about Cole's Foundation.
John 3:16

Last edited by GarnetJ; 04-11-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I only make a card when I need one, so I don't have any sitting around except the ones I make at my monthly SU workshop. It's nice to use those when I have a time crunch.

I was a card angel for about a year. You send a card to someone with cancer about once a week. Just google "card angels". It's a wonderful way send a little sunshine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaparhamView Post
I worry if my cards are going to a good home. It's frustrating to think of all that time spent, and maybe the card goes in the trash. Perhaps I could include an appropriate sized frame or shadowbox so The card stays pretty. Or one of those things that is temperature and humidity controlled. Or a GPS so I know if they take it anywhere. Our cards do become our children in a way.....J/K on everything but the first 2 and last sentences........I'm not that nutty.
I have come up with a solution that seems to be working well and is appreciated.

I send the card and a clean, unused white envelope in a clear envelope (from Amber - see here: http://www.clearenvelopesambershaw.com/ and also sold by Amber on ebay). I package it such that the front of the card is visible on the back of the clear envelope. The front of the white envelope is visible on the front of the clear envelope. Then also on the front I put a label with the address, a label with our return address and the stamp (all stickers). I do not put any extra postage on it and so far all of them have gone through without being postage due. I put the flap of the clear envelope on the front right so that it doesn't interfere with the presentation of the card and can easily be opened as its not under the return address label.

Inside I enclose a small piece of paper that says:
This is a "green" card. Remove the white inner liner and reuse the card with the enclosed envelope. Enjoy!

Inside the card, my message is written/printed on a piece of paper that is attached with temporary adhesive and easily removable. Of all of them that I have tried, I found scrapbooking tape to work the best but if someone knows of something better, I'd love to hear about it!

If you do this, at least 2 people get to enjoy your beautiful work of art. Some people really like that they get to reuse card. Others can't part with it and I'm ok with that too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I donate cards to our local Hospice (they have a sale table in their foyer), an animal shelter (keep them on the front desk and ask for a donation in exchange), and Chemoangels, which is a most amazing group. Please look here: http://www.chemoangels.net/
I send a card each week to someone undergoing chemotherapy and also to a senior shut-in lady in another country (also through Chemoangels). I was going to opt out of this second obligation until I got the most wonderful letter from this old lady's daughter telling me how much my cards meant to her, how they brightened her room and made her happy, how she looked forward to her weekly 'happy mail', and that my cards were strung up on a line around her room - she called it her 'private art gallery'. I was so touched that of course I couldn't then stop! It's nice to know I've put a smile on someone's face every week. If I send cards to someone who is not a cardmaker and may like to use the card to on-send it, I leave the inside blank and put this verse on a separate piece of paper (can't remember where the verse came from - a website somewhere or maybe even on SCC?):
I didn't sign this card before I sent it off to you ...
Instead it holds my warmest thoughts, invisible but true.
And if you find a time you need
to brighten someone's day,
then take this card and sign it, and send it on its way.
(Include a blank envelope.)
Happy Fan Club member.

Last edited by Tilly; 04-15-2010 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: postscript
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I never have extra cards sitting around. I love sending cards to my family and friends. I have two good friends in Fla and I try to send them both cards ofter. Once a month maybe. All of my aunts are elderly and I try to send them cards and I do make other paper crafts for them. Like books with my BIA. I think the idea of sending a card a week is great and I will try to do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TillyView Post
I donate cards to our local Hospice (they have a sale table in their foyer), an animal shelter (keep them on the front desk and ask for a donation in exchange), and Chemoangels, which is a most amazing group. Please look here: http://www.chemoangels.net/
I send a card each week to someone undergoing chemotherapy and also to a senior shut-in lady in another country (also through Chemoangels). I was going to opt out of this second obligation until I got the most wonderful letter from this old lady's daughter telling me how much my cards meant to her, how they brightened her room and made her happy, how she looked forward to her weekly 'happy mail', and that my cards were strung up on a line around her room - she called it her 'private art gallery'. I was so touched that of course I couldn't then stop! It's nice to know I've put a smile on someone's face every week. If I send cards to someone who is not a cardmaker and may like to use the card to on-send it, I leave the inside blank and put this verse on a separate piece of paper (can't remember where the verse came from - a website somewhere or maybe even on SCC?):
Awwwwwwwww!!! It is so AWESOME when you have concrete proof that recipients not only like your cards, but treasure them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TillyView Post
What a wonderful story! (and I love your quote, too!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Most of the cards I send to anyone are "Just Because" or "Thinking of You". I make my cards peronalized to the receiver. I don't expect them to keep it for forever, it's a card.

The other ideas mentioned here are very nice. I don't know that I could send a card to a total stranger.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I need to do this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I love the idea! I just sent my Mom a card to tell her I'm looking forward to my parents visit this summer and a few to my Sis just because. I think those kinds of surprises in the mail box are so much more fun ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

If someone is willing to send a card to lil ole me in the UK i'm quite willing to post to the US It's almost like having a penpal!
xxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I love this idea...I just don't know who to send them to. Most of my family lives close (and many of them don't get into handmade things anyway) so that's out...

I was thinking of posting a "do you want a card" type thing on my blog to send them to people who would like one but not sure if people would think it was wierd.

I make LOTS of cards and have tons sitting around in bags or piles just taking up room. I really need to find something to do with them.

Ink Stains
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

I like to send cards to my friends just out of the blue. For no other reason than to let them know i'm thinking about them and that I'm glad they're my friend

No point on keeping my cards around unused, I take a picture so I have them saved on my computer but they don't take up physical space in my house.

Check out my blog! www.sunfaeriecreations.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #35  
NwP
Kookie Creator

I used to send cards to my grandmother, too bad she passed away before I started making my own. :(

BUT I do occasionally see in the paper where a family will host a 'card shower' for an elderly relative (usually a grandma or great-aunt having a 90th birthday, that type of thing) and will publish an address. I am always tempted to send a nice card and just sign my first name, without including an address. I figure the lady having the party will just assume that it is somebody she knew a while ago but whose last name escapes her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Ronijj....You certainly could send to your family even though they live close. It's as if you're looking for them to respond with a card to you. Just send a card for no reason. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

No, I don't expect a card in return...it's just when I see them often (once or twice a week) I don't know if they'd think I was nuts for sending one but I'll give it a try and see what happens

Ink Stains
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Ronijj~
I found Operation Write Home. A super website and organization that ships handmade cards to troops oversees so that they may write to their loved ones. I do not have any family or friends in the military, but I came across this website and decided to donate. I have a ton of leftover cards and eventhough my family is close and I am so blessed that they are, I am sure many oversees are missing theirs. Just a thought. I think there are some other similar organizations, too. Also, there is a "Receive A Card, Send a Card" forum on SCS. Fun! Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaparhamView Post
Funny, but true! I know there are only a few people who save my cards (like my mom and kids, for whom I have made boxes expressly for this purpose!). However, if a card brings a few moments of enjoyment to someone, sits on her counter for a few days, and gets thrown away, I've grown OK with that.

I have some extra cards I'm going to try selling at the garage sale for my local scrapbooking store. Last time I received about $100 of store credit, just for my cards alone. I never thought of selling finished product there, but it worked out well!
Reply With Quote Likes