Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Selling cards - price???

I have been approached by someone who would like to purchase my cards. I would like to know your opinion re a dollar amount for each, or for a group of cards. Ideas?? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Tough question

There are so many things to take into account.....

Do you make simple cards -- stamped and colored?
or
Do you make elaborate cards -- lots of layers, ribbons and bling?

Do people where you live have generally high salaries?
or
Do you live out in the country like me -- lots of farmers here.

I have seen people selling their cards for only $1.50 each and I have seen $5.00 each and all the fractions between.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Do you know anyone in your area who goes to lots of craft sales? They might have a better idea than I do.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not sold cards, but I frequent another board where some people do sell their cards.

A gal recently had a little "card party" at a friend's office during the lunch hour. She posted pictures on her blog of how she set everything up in a little conference room.

Her cards are really cute and have embellishments and layers, not just simple cards. She sells her cards for $2 each and had great luck this time selling boxed sets of 10 cards for $20. I think she sold 75 cards at this party.

Here is a link to her blog if you would like to check out her presentation and get more details.

http://prdesigns.blogspot.com/

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

My MIL sells her cards for $3.50 each. No stamping, just those expensive Jolee's stickers and one layer of paper. I sell mine for $2.50 each or 5 for $10.00. I usually have a couple of layers plus embellishments. (And of course STAMPING!) I really think it depends on where you live.

HTH,
Krystal in CA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I own a gift shop. I sell my cards for $2.50 One layer plus embellishments and of course stamping. I also sell picture frames that I have scrapped. I get $10 for and 8x10 frame with a picture opening of a 4x6.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I ususally sell mine individually for $3 each or a package of 4 for $10. I usually have at least 2-3 layers and at least one embellishment.

I also agree though that this depends strongly on were you live. I'm in N. VA so prices here are always a little higher than in most places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I do $3 a piece (they are usually one of a kind type cards) and 6 for $10 for mass produced cards.

I thought I was high until I went to a couple of boutique stores and saw what hand made cards were going for (and what folks were getting for that $$).

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a really interesting question and I'm surprised at the responses only because I think you're all under valuing yourselves.

I've given some thought to selling cards and contemplated what would be a reasonable price. Feedback that I've received from friends and workmates suggest that I price them in line with store bought cards.

It's not unusual for us, in Canada, to pay $5.00 or even $6.00 for a card and people indicate they'd be willing to pay even more for a hand made card.

I agree that demographics play a role in setting a price point, but what would YOU pay for a store bought card? I'm pretty sure it's more than a couple of dollars? Sure, you can get dollar store cards for a dollar, and they LOOK like a dollar store card. There's no WOW in those.

So . . . . what do you think your WOW card is worth REALLY?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's a card I liked and enjoyed making, I'll sell it for 75 cents or $1 to a friend, and $3 or $4 to a stranger. If someone requests a specific card that I know I would hate making (like if they wanted purple cardstock for example, which I hate), I would charge $10 or decline. I charge based on how easy it would be for me to make it; not on the materials or time (I know, bad business, but I already have a full-time job).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #10  
Hot Mess

I sell mine for $3 each or 2 for $5
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I've been having quite a bit of success selling at my mom's work (she works in a medical imaging office, mammos, etc.) at $3 each or 4/$10. No one buys just one. HOWEVER, I only get $8 of the $10, because I've pledged to donate $0.50 from each card to breast cancer research.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been doing winter boutiques for 3 years and sell my cards for $2.50 each or 5 for $10. As mentioned before, people do spend more for a card in the store but then only buy one or two cards. I have people who buy 15 or 20 cards from me. I make cards throughout the year and always make 4 of each card. One I keep and three I sell. I make whatever I am in the mood for so some cards are elaborate and some are simple. They are all the same price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I work at a hospital. I have been selling my cards for $5 each. I have my regulars that put in their orders for birthday, anniversary and favorite color for the receipent. My regulars say they would rather give me $5 than give Hallmark $5 for more for a good card.

Sherry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

TFS everybody!

I have a friend who insists that I can sell my cards - He sure does have a lot more faith in me than I do. :rolleyes:

But I can say that it has been an idea in my head since I started seeing homemade cards in different places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
I think this is a really interesting question and I'm surprised at the responses only because I think you're all under valuing yourselves.

I've given some thought to selling cards and contemplated what would be a reasonable price. Feedback that I've received from friends and workmates suggest that I price them in line with store bought cards.

It's not unusual for us, in Canada, to pay $5.00 or even $6.00 for a card and people indicate they'd be willing to pay even more for a hand made card.

I agree that demographics play a role in setting a price point, but what would YOU pay for a store bought card? I'm pretty sure it's more than a couple of dollars? Sure, you can get dollar store cards for a dollar, and they LOOK like a dollar store card. There's no WOW in those.

So . . . . what do you think your WOW card is worth REALLY?

ITA!! I just started selling mine at a local salon and my pricing is $5 each and 3 for $12. My girlfriend hasn't even had time to put them out b/c they get purchased by the girls there before she can. I can't keep them there fast enough. I just make sure my presentation is good, these aren't too simple cards (several layers and embellishments), with matching stamped envies, all in a clear envelope. My cost is about $1.50 per card w/ packaging and included in that. Take a look at what Hallmark cards sell for, ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAshby126View Post
I ususally sell mine individually for $3 each or a package of 4 for $10. I usually have at least 2-3 layers and at least one embellishment.
I do the same exact thing! For what you would pay for a Hallmark card, I figure that my cards are much prettier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

i was asked to make cards as a fund raiser for a club i belong to...

that being said- she suggested i price them at $4.00. i would then keep $2.00 and donate $2.00

i wouldn't be making a lot of money here- but this would be a great way to raise money for my club... and i would be getting my name out there by including a business card with info to get more cards.

i think and hope this will end up benefiting both my club and my creative EGO!!! if you know what i mean.

i asked her if she thought $4.00 was too much and she said no way! she and her mother-in-law love the cards i make and at last club i sold 17 cards- i only charged them $2.00 a piece tho...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #18  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I was in a shop a year or so ago, that sold stamps and supplies, and also had a rack of cards, each one in a plastic sleeve, and included an envelope. They were nice, with embellishments, ribbon, maybe even a charm, and NONE of them were under $9 EACH.

I thought, you know what, these were "art" - definitely not dollar store cards, but you can buy a sheet of charms for $4-5 and put one on each card, some fiber, and make a mint.

Ever since then, I've thought people are undervaluing themselves when I read of people selling their cards for $1-2 each.

All you can get now for $1 even at Target is a flat printed card. The "nicer" ones are $4 and up.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree there are so many factors involved, especially where you are located and what people are willing to spend. I do craft shows and each time it is a hit or miss. I just depends what people are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes