Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell Your Cards? How much do you charge?

Hi,

I've been selling some of my cards as fundraisers for the church camp fund. I'm interested to know if any of the rest of you sell your cards. How much do you charge? Do you charge different amounts for different cards?

At first I was just glad somebody liked my cards :-) Now, I'm realizing just how much money and effort I put into not only each card, but also each new design.

I'm open to your thoughts and grateful for you help.

Thanks!
Shirley
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Default Morning Thoughts

Hi,

Good morning! Lots of people have read, but no one has responded. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

I sell my cards $3 each or 4 for $10 plus envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I only sell my cards to friends; I can't seem to make enough to sell what with sending to relatives and friends for birthdays and holidays, etc. So I just make what friends request and I usually sell them for between three and five dollars. I've heard (here on scs) that people only ask for $2 and less for a card! I think that's insane! My cards are little pieces of artwork and I'd like to ask more than $5 but I don't have the guts! The really super nice artwork cards at the card store are sometimes more than that and I think mine are better than those! Anyway, good luck and I hope you make big bucks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I don't sell a lot, but when I do I charge �3.50, which is about $5.50 at today's rate. I've been charging that for 3 years now, so I suppose I could put it up to �4, especially since people say they'd pay more, but I'm not in it for the money, it's just a way of passing on a few and paying for some more stash. Some are fancier and some are plainer, but I think one price is easier, and evens out in the end.
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sell (any my best friend) sell most of our cards for $2. each. Once in a while one will get marked higher, but most cards are $2. I understand that they should be more (or I am told they should be more), but I like the fact that I am selling them and people are asking for more and more of them. I don't want to price myself out of selling. I don't want to make and make cards and they sit, I would rather see them go. My sister takes them to her place of employment and they buy and buy and want more and more, plus I recently took on 3 candle stores that have requested cards, and I sell to them for $2 and they sell for more, but I really don't know how much. I know I will have to raise my price some day, but right now I'm going to stay at $2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

i get $2.25 for the notecard size and that includes an envelope...some are $3.50 to $4.00...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only cards I have sold recently were custom requests - I charge $10 for a card I really, really do not want to make, and have threatened to charge $20 for the card if they insist that it be made with images and colours that I detest or don't have (hasn't happened yet; they always back down). Otherwise, I have charged $3 a card for cards that were a joy for me to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell mine at an artist's co-op for $4.00 to $5.50. The co-op is in a tourist town so I have no problem getting this. At craft shows, I sell the exact same cards for #2.50 and hardly sell any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I'd suggest considering the following:

Figure out a rough estimate of cost of supplies and the amount of time it takes you to make them. Then factor in the going rate for similar items in your area. You don't want to under sell yourself but you may not want to be the one selling your cards much higher than the competition--that is unless you can truly get that amount and have the cards move steadily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I sell my cards for $3 and $3.50.

Diane

Fan Club Member
My Neglected Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell most of mine for $3.00 each. I sell thousands! That is not an exaggeration. I sell at some of the local high schools. Some of my teacher friends sell them there. I supply two swim teams with at least 1000 each in the fall for fund raisers...(I sell these a might bit cheaper) My hubby sells them at work. He always has a basket of at least 100 on his desk. He sells about $75.00 or so per week. I am ALWAYS getting requests for custom cards for weddings and showers but usually turn these down. I just dont have as much fun doing stuff I have to stress about. Anyway, I am a very busy little bee getting the cards ready for the swim team fund raisers and also I still do my soldier project. I am nearly to 22,000 cards sent now.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Wow!! That's incredible. I'm not sure if I am more impressed with making that many cards or selling them. Kudos to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I sell most of mine for $3.00 each. I sell thousands! That is not an exaggeration. I sell at some of the local high schools. Some of my teacher friends sell them there. I supply two swim teams with at least 1000 each in the fall for fund raisers...(I sell these a might bit cheaper) My hubby sells them at work. He always has a basket of at least 100 on his desk. He sells about $75.00 or so per week. I am ALWAYS getting requests for custom cards for weddings and showers but usually turn these down. I just dont have as much fun doing stuff I have to stress about. Anyway, I am a very busy little bee getting the cards ready for the swim team fund raisers and also I still do my soldier project. I am nearly to 22,000 cards sent now.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I sell my cards at a local artisan's co-op for $3.00 and $4.00 a card depending on the type of card/amount of extras,etc. People seem to love them and feel they are worth the price to get a handmade card that is unique. I purchased clear envelopes from Papermart on-line 1,000 for $28.00 and put a paper envelope and the card inside to protect them when people look at them. I got the invitation size envelopes at Staples and stamp a cute little hedgehog from SU that says "handstamped" on each envelope- it's cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell mine to friends and co-workers---most are $2.50, some $3.50. I was selling them in our local gourmet deli for $4.50/$5.50---those sales would go in spurts. The owner really loved them and she bought a lot. I always wondered if the price was too steep, but she told me not to lower my price. It's a tiny place and very crowded; I think with more space we could have done better! There was barely enough room for my rack, let alone to stand and shop!

I bought this awesome rack for $35; I couldn't believe my good luck! (A gift shop was going out of business.) The rack is white, has 2 tiers, spins, and has 64 slots---it is way cool. I package the cards, with envelope, in clear a envelope.

This is interesting to get everyones' input. I have recently been thinking of raising my prices. My skills have improved and I like to make more elaborate cards now. I'm not willing to sell one of those for $2.50.

Have seen some funny things, too. I have seen someone hold one of my cards in their hand admiring it out loud---then they turn it over and see the price. Next, they toss it back in the basket! Kind of cracks me up! People will pay way more for a Hallmark run off a printing press... Silly people!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mostly all the $$$ I make goes into the soldier project. The adhesives, envelopes and postage are enough to break the bank. Last year in NOVE & DEC I made over $2000 each month. Hoping to do better this year.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH...One more thing...I also purchased one of the tall racks to put my cards in for the church I attend. They sell my cards in their bookshop and all the proceeds to directly into the building fund...I guess I didnt realize how many places I supply...lol...but all my kids are grown and gone...last one just started at Pensacola Christian College... Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been asked to make 75 wedding invitations. Should I factor in the cost of supplies and labor on each card? Normally I sell my regular cards for $3 dollars and while these cards will be simple I had to travel far and wide to get all the supplies together. I have purchased $130 in supplies alone. What would be a reasonable amount I should charge??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
I have been asked to make 75 wedding invitations. Should I factor in the cost of supplies and labor on each card? Normally I sell my regular cards for $3 dollars and while these cards will be simple I had to travel far and wide to get all the supplies together. I have purchased $130 in supplies alone. What would be a reasonable amount I should charge??
Personally, I would, but then again I don't sell my cards - handmade wedding invitations are time consuming and not necessarily cost effective if people are doing it to keep costs down.

I would give the buyer and itemised list and copies of relevant parts of reciepts and then add my time for stamping and assembly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I made some invitations for a 50th wedding anniversary and I charged $3 each plus the cost of materials. I had to buy gold metallic ribbon and gold metallic cardstock and nicer envelopes than I had on hand. I only made 30 and they were for my DIL's folks so I didn't charge for labor.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Default hooking myself to this thread

Just want to keep track of what people are getting for their cards. My friend wants me to sell some of mine at a very nice gift shop in a resort area. I am kind of embarrased by it but as I read all of your experiences I get my courage up.

So far I have sold cards for $3.50, $4.00 and $4.50 depending on the work, embellishments or cost of the paper. When I use the metallic papers I have to sell them for more to cover the added cost of the paper.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=138562
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I sell mine for $3.50 or 4 for $12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a flat rate of $3 per card. If I am asked to make a very specific difficult card with expensive embelishments I will charge more. As far as larger orders for showers and weddings I find that most request fairly simple designs but large quantities I will give a slight price break maybe $2.50 each. However for the most part it seems like everything goes for $3 each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Great for all of you that sold cards or sells cards. I have only sold a couple (during Valentine's Day) when I helped out at my friend's flower shop. She closed the shop down right after that busy week and now I don't have a place to sell them. I sold 2 at $5 each. I wished I had more time to stamp but I was helping her in her shop for quite a long time that week. I didn't get paid, she offered but I didn't know what to charge her and she said she was in financial trouble. I figure, I'm helping someone in need and eventually hope something nice will come my way when I need it. ;-) But I think the joy of someone actually picking out my cards out of the rack of other cards was really something. Kinda wish she kept the shop. Don't know where to sell my cards anymore. But then again, I don't make them fast enough of them to sell. There so many birthdays, thank yous, get wells, deaths, holidays, etc. But if there are suggestions on where to sell them, I might make more effort to stamp more. Hehehe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Blessings.
Highjacking -- how on earth do you have a life????? If I make 3-4 in a morning/evening I feel like I've really accomplished something. Please post some of your creations to your gallery. We'd love to see them.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Just recently I made some cards for a craft fair our garden club was in. 99% of them were of a botanical nature but I threw in a couple of Sassy Suzie's and they went immediately :>) I sold a total of 26!!!!! For the first try, I didn't think that was bad. They were in a card jacket and had an envelope. I had them price $2.50 each or 3 for $7.00.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I would charge $400 to $500, depending on if the buyer is a friend or not, and how good of one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

For all you card sellers out there --

Do you decorate the inside of the card with images? a verse? a layer of cardstock? to make it more like a regular greeting card.

I'm thinking about selling my cards..

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wellll......these days I think my card projects are my life. My two sisters here are stampers too so they make cards for me. I have some friends too who come and we just sit for an afternoon and make cards and have fun. We share our creations with each other and it doesnt matter what the receiver does with the cards. My two sisters assist me by making 100's of remounts for the soldiers and then making cards to assist my card ministry and other sales areas...I love to make cards. I also have a lovely lady friend who assist me by providing many of the materials I need to keep these projects going. I just never have time to load into my gallery. I think there are like 6 cards there from like 2 years ago. I have been feverishly working on cards for the two swim teams I supply. They are not as elaborate as some I make but last year they sold like hotcakes. I have nearly 1000 on the shelf ready to go and need to get that figure doubled. It is really great money when you can find a project like this to do. The best thing is I make what I want to make and they sell them. If anyone else wants to get in on the swim team or the like projects check with your local schools that have sports teams they are always looking for something new for a fund raiser. I know I could do many more teams if I had more hours in a day. For the swim teams only I make bunches of cards like an assembly line and sell them to the team for $2.00 each. That is a lump sum from each team at the end of their sale of nearly $2000 each. I do not make them take what doesnt sell. I keep them for the next season or use them for one of the other projects. At this time I project in the Nove-Dec time frame I will double what I did last year just on the swim teams alone. Should easily clear $4000.00. That will buy a lot of supplies and postage for my soldier project. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky62View Post
For all you card sellers out there --

Do you decorate the inside of the card with images? a verse? a layer of cardstock? to make it more like a regular greeting card.

I'm thinking about selling my cards..
So far I have only sold to friends, and acquaintances. I just put whatever the ask for on the inside. Normally I do actually decorate the inside with a co-ordinating image and a layer of cardstock. I normally leave out the verse just because I don't have any verse (for the inside) stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh...I forgot to tell you...my hubby said to me one day...I wish I had a U Suck card to give to someone...I made one...It was such a huge hit...I have sold lots of those in different places...some blank on the inside some not. I try not to get too far over into the dark side....dont want to be too naughty. I even have made some that say "U Bite" These however do NOT go to the schools or swim teams. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

4 each or 3 for 10! I actually sold 9 yesterday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I have some friends too who come and we just sit for an afternoon and make cards and have fun. We share our creations with each other and it doesnt matter what the receiver does with the cards.
I am so envious!! This would be lovely - sitting for an afternoon, just making cards and having fun!! The only time I get to do this is during a once-a-month workshop, and then it is only for two hours.
Reply With Quote Likes