Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Scraps...

Just curious...what is the smallest scrap of paper you keep? I'm getting ready to do my yearly purge of the "big blue tub o'scraps" that is under my scrappy desk and I am just curious what others think is worthy of saving. Thanks for your replies!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 3" square goes into my scrap box. I keep ones the size of a 1/4 page or so in folders with the CS that color, and anything smaller goes into a little box that I rifle through when I need a punch or little piece for something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I am trying to get better about not saving the tiniest of scraps, but if I can punch on it, I tend to save it (so sometimes just an inch or two of paper). That often means small strips of paper get saved, and then they just get out of control. I am getting better about "shopping" my scrap paper box before pulling out new paper, and that has helped me reduce the amount of scraps I have at any time.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have all of my SU c/s in hanging folders, each color has it's own folder, and it's in sequence by color, i.e. ROYGBIV and Neutral. And light to dark. Yeah.. just a bit ****. I keep a gallon size ziplock in each folder for scraps of that color, so I don't have just a bag of misc. c/s scraps.

My rule of thumb is if I can get the word window punch stamped out of it, it is saved in the ziplock.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Sigh.....I apparently have no limits....Great question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

While I was waiting for replies, I made my first pass through my tub and got rid of a wastebasket (a smallish one) full of scraps. It felt really, really good. I even got rid of some larger pieces that I just know I won't use and frankly, nobody else would either. I went through my large paper stacks earlier this year and donated a bunch of that to friends and my son's school. I guess I'm in a bit of a cleaning mood. My scraps look much better. I'm sure there's still some that could go.....I sure do have some very strange colors in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I don't keep anything itty bitty, except when it somes to white and cream, for the most part. Those two colors in particular, I will keep even if it is just big enough for a small word/sentiment. Then, when I need a small piece, I start by digging through the scrap pile.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

About 1/4 sheet on most cardstock, something special, I might save something smaller...Small pieces I try to punch something out of it and I take all my scraps and the punched pieces to the pre-school where my Niece teaches...The kids have a great time with everything!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I used to save scraps, and scraps of scraps. Then when I had to pack up all my craft stuff I gave it all away to a friend of mine.

Now, while I am making cards I put all the scraps in a plastic bag hanging on my worktable. Once it's full and I'm done with that card binge, everything smaller than a card front goes in the recycle bin.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson

Last edited by ceramicat1; 11-14-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a pizza box for scraps that are at least 2" wide and 12" across (for scrapbook pages).

I have another pizza box with scraps that aren't 12" long, but at least 4"x4" square.

And I have a zip-style bag in this pizza box that I recently started using for small pieces of white cardstock, pieces that are big enough for a small stamped sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

I like kphorse's suggestion of punching and then taking the punchies to the pre-school. I recently purged my tin of saved punched pieces and diecuts, including it in a bag of stuff I FreeCycled. I had an email from the person who took it saying how much she and her daughter were enjoying it. I keep too many scraps because I hate waste but I've got more realistic over the years .
Sometimes I'll pull out some suitable scraps and make up a big sheet of paper to use for serendipity squares - Serendipity Scraps by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I admit I keep the teeny tiny scraps. I use a lot of tiny punches so if I can make a tiny punch shape from it then I save it. I do use those scraps a lot. I also like to make card mosaics so I save those tiny scraps to glue on cardstock and make my own pattern backgrounds. I learned that trick from one of the OP's here. I save all the tiny pieces in a small sandwich bag.

All my other scraps are in a larger bag. I "shop" from my bags constantly and weed through it constantly so it's always inspiring and not tiring.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I just had a clean out of my scrap binder - and trimmed the edges of all the pieces so they were all nice and squarish, and even. Kept those colours that I know I will use - especially black.
The other pieces, I punched out 3x different shapes from the rest and put them in a baggie.
I then looked at all those scraps from the punched out pieces, and punched small stars and put them in a baggie. Donated them all to a local kindy I pass on my way to work.
The teacher was very happy with me

(just posted this on my blog as well this week)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

It really depends on the paper or card. If it is something I know I will use I keep scraps of about 4x4 inches but if it is something I will not use I throw it regardless of the size. Plain White card scraps I punch shapes out of it and save them in a "Shapes" box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I seem to be the abnormal because my scraps must be 3 to 4 inches. All SU paper scraps go right back into the plastic bag that my paper came in which makes life easier. All other scraps go into a large plastic accordian folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

After reading all these replies, I'm glad I cleaned out as much as I did. I feel better knowing that others purge quite often, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I only have the larger punches, so anything that will work for a sentiment or a punch goes in the basket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Unfortunately for my storage problem, I save even the smallest scrap! There have been so many times when I needed just the smallest bit and there it was in my scrap case. Wish I could purge more but I can't seem to throw them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

No smaller than 3x3. I will punch smaller pieces into iniches but usually they just into the trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to save everything! I must have saved some of those pieces for 5+ years and had a HUGE amount. Then one day I realized I rarely if ever used the smaller pieces. I purged and now I save only pieces of white, brown, black cardstock in usable sizes, say 3 x 4". Then recently I had a friend who directs a preschool ask me save her ANY scraps to use in her school--cardstock and designer paper. She says they can use small pieces to make designs (mosiacs-type) and larger pieces for other projects. I had never thought about using my punches on some of the pieces and giving them to her to use in teaching shapes or just for different shapes until I read a couple of the comments here. Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a tosser. If it's less than 1/4 sheet of cardstock or anything else, it goes. I find that I actually USE my scraps more if I have less of them. So by saving every little bit, I waste more. :oops:

My LSS has a box that anyone can put scraps in or take scraps out of. I generally toss all of my scraps in there after a crop. At home, they just get recycled.

I'm a SLOOOOOW stamper/scrapper and I figure that I generally toss about 1 package of CS a YEAR. So yeah, for $7, I'm not willing to deal with the mess of keeping it all.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I'm a tosser. If it's less than 1/4 sheet of cardstock or anything else, it goes. I find that I actually USE my scraps more if I have less of them. So by saving every little bit, I waste more. :oops:

My LSS has a box that anyone can put scraps in or take scraps out of. I generally toss all of my scraps in there after a crop. At home, they just get recycled.

I'm a SLOOOOOW stamper/scrapper and I figure that I generally toss about 1 package of CS a YEAR. So yeah, for $7, I'm not willing to deal with the mess of keeping it all.
When you think of it in terms of $7 a year, it's hardly worth keeping!! Thanks for putting a price on storage....this will stick with me when I'm trying to decide if something is worth keeping or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairsingerView Post
I am trying to get better about not saving the tiniest of scraps, but if I can punch on it, I tend to save it (so sometimes just an inch or two of paper). That often means small strips of paper get saved, and then they just get out of control. I am getting better about "shopping" my scrap paper box before pulling out new paper, and that has helped me reduce the amount of scraps I have at any time.
Ditto to everything she said! I also keep mine in a gallon sized zip bag and thats on top of my shelf of paper so I grab it first to use.

But yes, I tend to save practically every scrap cuz I think I can get a punch out of it...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 807 Likes on 329 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
Just curious...what is the smallest scrap of paper you keep? I'm getting ready to do my yearly purge of the "big blue tub o'scraps" that is under my scrappy desk and I am just curious what others think is worthy of saving. Thanks for your replies!
I save strips left after cutting out cards. Even if they are 1/4 inch wide and 4-5 inches long. I use them to make Bargello and paper quilting cards. Tutorial
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I finished my Thanksgiving cards today and except for the card base, I used scraps - 15 cards and my scrap boxes are a tiny bit less full. Now if I can only keep this up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post

Same here! Back when I used SU cardstock, I kept all the scraps in their individual folders. When I started using cardstock from a different company I took all my zippie bags with SU paper and scraps and sold them in bulk by color family. That was actually nice to be able to see some $ for scrap paper. But I don't want to manage those piles anymore, so anything less than 1/4 of a sheet gets tossed. My file folders are MUCH easier to manage now which makes me more likely to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I have hard time coming up with something to do with all the scraps. The Bargello technique will use the strips pretty fast, but I'm at a loss with all the mismatched pieces in my scrap drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #28  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I won't keep less than a 1/4 of sheet of paper, unless it's a piece of patterned paper that I love and know that I will use it. Otherwise, I just get more cluttered up than I am...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just sold a bunch of corner bookmarks at a craft fair and ALL of them were made with 4" and 2 3/4s scraps! So, I am going to say; 4" square is my golden number!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, I could NEVER throw away a piece of CS that was just a bit smaller than 1/4 sheet! I am very good at using my scraps though so I feel justified in keeping them. I have a 3 tiered system. I have Cropper Hopper paper files that have a half sized pocket on each side. Filed by colour family, I save large pieces on one side and less than 1/3-1/2 sheet on the other. Really small pieces go in a 'file' I made by adhering PTi clear stamp boxes together and decorating them. I have one section for ROY, GBP, white/ivory, Kraft/black/brown and one for DP and odd stuff like metallic and scraps of chipboard.

I certainly don't use up all the tiny pieces but I do reach in there fairly often. I never cut paper for a mat or even a card base without checking for already cut pieces first. My kids know they can use any paper in the small pieces file and have fun cutting them up or crafting with them. I also use them for small accent/sentiment tags and sentiment strips or blocks. Perfect for all those little die cuts too like tabs, Flourishes, leaves, flowers, hearts, stars etc. I have tons of PTI dies and many are tiny like the baby clothes.

I also keep thin, long strips for certain techniques. They stand up in a tall thin jar so are very easy to store. I KNOW I've saved a ton of money over the years in Cardstock. I wish I knew someone nearby who is an 'only save a 1/4 sheet or larger' person!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post

Just wanted to note that before you purge by sending your unused/unloved scraps to the trash, let me tell you what I do every couple of years. When I get overwlemed with scraps I pull them all out, put them into a shipping bos, take a picture, and sell it on ebay as a "paper salad" I have been shocked how much money I can sell my "trash" Not sure what the buyers are using them for, but I'm thrilled to get them out of my house, keep them out of the landfill, and earn a bit of extra cash to replenish my paper stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

When it comes to paper scraps, I am a pack rat! I save everything except the very tiny pieces that are less then 1/4 inch...WHY....I love to make mosaics and the smallest pieces are perfect for this. I trim off my larger pieces to make them "fit" into my over-sized bags. I store scraps in two hanging file folders (both on wheels) and sort the scraps based on color. I have a solid and patterned bag for each color, filed alphabetically by color. I gather all my scraps after a project and sort into the matching file, then roll my files back under my table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

I did a blog post early in the year about what works for me on scraps. Check it out here
KariScrap: Storing Those Pesky Paper Scraps

Also, I tend to mass produce whatever I'm making and had a ton of lilac & mellow moss scraps from my SIL's wedding invites, and a ton of black pieces about 2"x8.5" from the Halloween treats I made. Recently, I was putting together kits to work on with my sorority alumnae group (mainly non-crafters) for OWH cards and I realized if I could create a card using those, it would use up a bunch of scraps quickly... Very handy.

One last thing that I've started doing is if I have really nice paper and odd shaped scraps (example - after die cutting the big butterflies from Stampin Up!) I'll immediately punch small punches (hearts, flowers, butterflies) and store them in the Itty Bitty Boxes from Staples (love those!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I keep anything that's not a small sliver! but i keep my scraps with the original paper pads so that it matches whatever i've chosen. i know i wouldn't search thru a big box of scraps but if i choose a paper from the pad adn then want a small piece of coordinating paper i can see what i've got in an appropriate size before cutting into a full sheet.

i keep my paper pads (up to UK a4/US letter size) in the polypockets (the opnes that go in ring binders) and i keep my 12x12 off-cuts in them too inside the paper packs.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

If it's a color I use alot or a size I can do a layer with I keep it otherwise it's gone. I keep all my scraps, anything that is cut from a full sheet, in accordian folders according to color, Red, orange, black etc. I found I use them more that way, I make myself go to the file before I pull out a full sheet. I do need to go through my green folder (most used color) and get rid of some as it's SO FULL. I tend to save my white/ivory scraps more but don't go through those as much so will have to purge that also, the worst part is so many are different shades as I have so many different brands I've collected through the years. So does one separate the white shades too? White, really white, kinda white, dirty white? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #36  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 807 Likes on 329 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESSView Post
Just wanted to note that before you purge by sending your unused/unloved scraps to the trash, let me tell you what I do every couple of years. When I get overwlemed with scraps I pull them all out, put them into a shipping bos, take a picture, and sell it on ebay as a "paper salad" I have been shocked how much money I can sell my "trash" Not sure what the buyers are using them for, but I'm thrilled to get them out of my house, keep them out of the landfill, and earn a bit of extra cash to replenish my paper stash.
OMGosh, that is genius!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ask any primary teacher, or even h.s. art teacher if they want scraps. I left some behind in my classroom when I retired, and the young teacher moving in was thrilled. Schools buy basic colors (if that), and the designer paper and out-of-the-ordinary colors we are fortunate to have delight the kids. I saw some beautiful spring collages made with my scraps. It's a fun way to recycle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrzaworskiView Post
I have all of my SU c/s in hanging folders, each color has it's own folder, and it's in sequence by color, i.e. ROYGBIV and Neutral. And light to dark. Yeah.. just a bit ****. I keep a gallon size ziplock in each folder for scraps of that color, so I don't have just a bag of misc. c/s scraps.

My rule of thumb is if I can get the word window punch stamped out of it, it is saved in the ziplock.
This is what I do except that I use an accordion file for each color family of scraps. This is right next to the individual accordion files of full and half sheets of the same colors. I always check there first. I save things 2" or better, unless it is a 1/2" or better strip that can be used for a greeting.

If the scrap is fancy paper (which I have very little of), I cut it to 1" squares for quilt or mosaic cards. If they re big enough, they get cut into 1 1/2" squares for a cool card a friend showed me that uses 4 per card. These go into clam shell boxes. Any larger pieces of fancy paper go right in with the larger pieces of the same stuff.

Was feeling pretty good about my system, until I read the post about saving the tiny strips for bargello. I always have a heck of a time trimming those thin strips (and yes, I have tried a paper shredder and I'm terrible at it as they come out at an angle---had to use them for paper beads!) Now I will think a way to save those thin strips---maybe another clam shell box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #39  
Inking Addict

No smaller than approximately 3" x 3"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

I'm also a quilter, and this question just came up on one of the forums I frequent. I didn't use to save a lot of scraps, until someone pointed out that the scraps of fabric cost just as much as the yardage does... and that can be pretty pricey!
Card stock isn't as expensive, obviously, but I tend to think twice before I throw out any reasonable size - say 1"x 1 1/2"... I have all of my scraps in clear containers, sorted by colour family - and I usually check there first when I need anything smaller than a quarter of a page.
Reply With Quote Likes