Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrapbooking

Keeping your scrapbook safe. Creating and sharing them is a joy for you and a gift to future generation of your family and friends. So why not make sure that your scrapbook is safe after you are gone. Why not share your legacy with the person you love. You can sit down with that person and share what on its paper already and talk about detail and experiences of your scrapbook.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,127 Likes on 508 Posts

Sounds like it's bringing you joy! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to Splitcoast!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to share - I have been scrapbooking for about 15 years now, and more often than not lately, I wonder why I do it. I finish the books, put them on the shelf, and most of the time they just sit there, unloved, unopened. I even mentioned to my husband that I might just give it up as no one seems to appreciate it.

But every once in a while, one of my family will make an offhand comment about an event, and someone else will disagree. They then run to the scrapbooks to confirm or deny the issue.

This just happened the past week in my house - my 21 yo daughter and 16 yo son had a dispute about a fact of our old (and deceased) dog, and got the book out to verify. And all of a sudden, the two of them were sitting on the couch side by side, going over every one of the 20 scrapbooks I have done in succession. Now, these two normally either fight like cat and dog, or the 16 yo would rather be playing his xbox or disappear into his cave - er, I mean room - than sit with his sister. But there they were, laughing and remembering all of the times of their lives. As they finished one book, my son would get up (unasked), take the one they just finished away, and get the next one out. They sat there for at least two hours poring over them.

My husband turned to me and said "and that's why you scrapbook"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flash&Rusty, what a great story!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,392 Likes on 522 Posts

This just happened to me yesterday! My brother and his wife could not remember the first home we stayed in on our Lake Placid vacation 10 years ago, so I whipped out the album with those layouts. The funny thing is that while none of the photos actually had very prominent details of the vacation home, it was the close-up photo of my (then) toddler girls dancing with my mother that made everything return to his memory! He remembered that night of dancing and laughing in the living room and that made him remember everything else....all because of a scrapbooked photo. I *HEART* scrapbooking!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang!! These stories almost make me want to scrapbook! < pause > No wait, it makes me want you guys to scrapbook FOR me!! I made one scrapbook and it was sooooooooooooo hard. I started a second one and got four pages done but never finished it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Default scarpbooking

Hi Sophie, sorry I am late getting to you.I will like to see start scrapbooking.Its a lot of fun. I stared scrapbooking with a friend, she invited to go to a stampin up party and that how I get started scarpbooking.Here friends and me all made party stampinup for 6 years. Know my daughter and I scrapbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps when I am retired I will give scrapbooking a try again - by then my beloved nieces and nephews might have children and I could do scrapbooks for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

These stories are inspiring! I love the idea of giving/being given one as a gift Might have to give it a whirl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #10  

Yes, try it! My aunt gave me a bunch of my grandparents' photos and asked me to make an album for their 60th wedding anniversary. I had a WONDERFUL time creating it, as it made me see my grandparents as having a young life prior to me and the other grandchildren. This July they will celebrate 65 years of marriage and everyone still loves looking at the album.

I also made one of my maternal grandfather's WWII service. I had all his photos from WWII developed -WoW! Unfortunately, he had already passed when I did that so I don't know the stories behind the pictures (and some I would have LOVED an explanation for ;) ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Wow, that's such a lovely idea. It must have been a really interesting project to see your grandparents in a different light.

I made my housemate a kind of scrapbook at the end of university, with photos and illustrations. Really enjoyed that, but found myself struggling to fill the pages after I'd run out of photos... Any ideas for anything other than photos to use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maps, ticket stubs, bar coasters, branded napkins, matchbook covers, pages from a visitors guidebook of places you went to, school art/projects (pics if they are 3-D), lyrics to favorite song - anything that represents a feeling, time or place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #13  

I second Karen3000's ideas. I love to write, so I journal a lot on my layouts, but I also love to include bits and pieces of things I pick up on our trips. Also, you could try scrapbooking a smaller size, like 8x8 or 6x6...not so much space to fill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by amystampView Post
Wow, that's such a lovely idea. It must have been a really interesting project to see your grandparents in a different light.

I made my housemate a kind of scrapbook at the end of university, with photos and illustrations. Really enjoyed that, but found myself struggling to fill the pages after I'd run out of photos... Any ideas for anything other than photos to use?
I have written letters and used them in scrapbooks. Once, I wrote a letter to my mom on the 10th anniversary of her death and talked about all the changes that have happened in that time. I wrote a similar letter to my father on his 25th anniversary of his death, and I wrote a letter for a particular Thanksgiving - my father in law was near death in the hospital (he survived, and is still kicking 3 years later at the ripe old age of 90!) and normally during that time period we would have oodles of pictures because it is also my daughter's birthday around that weekend. I started the letter "Normally, you would expect to see lots of photos for Meaghan's birthday and our regular Thanksgiving Day bash. Well, we have much to be thankful for - and not a single picture to show for it."

Perhaps you can take some photos of buildings around campus that you and your housemate have frequented - be it classrooms, labs, libraries or gathering places - and spent countless hours at. Or perhaps you too could write a letter outlining some of your fondest memories, funniest (or saddest) events, etc. Maybe you can get some of your mutual friends to write letters or short notes and include them....
Reply With Quote Likes