Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #161  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received my pre-order yesterday and I am so pleased with what I got! In particular the SAB DSP, brad and ribbon pack and the matching stamp set. WOW! Great offerings in SAB this year! I'm thrilled with all the Big Shot items I ordered out of the mini too! Can't wait to make things with them!!!

Someone was talking about the price of the items and it catering to demonstrators - so interesting because the Demonstrator Facebook group that I'm a part of had several people complaining about how it caters to the customer. (I was scratching my head, like isn't that the whole point?) Anyway, I think that some people (demos and non-demos alike) just don't want to look for the good over the bad. I think it is good that ANYONE can earn the buttons or paper - if I was a customer and didn't like the stamp sets in SAB, I'd be thrilled with those choices.

I'll be back with links to my blog when I get some samples up so you guys can see!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #162  
Stampin' Fool

Right, that's it, SAB is cancelled! It is too difficult to please all the people all the time!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #163  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Well, the items that may have interested me are items I already own ( the two different embossing folders). I suppose that teaches me that in the future, I should not purchase when the new catty comes out, but wait a few months for the chance to get it for "free" during SAB.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of people happy with the alternatives. I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic for the SU that got me so excited over a dozen years ago. But with so many competing companies and cheaper deals, I guess I'm more selective these days.

Disclaimer here: I have not seen the new Occasions mini, and maybe it will knock my socks off! If it does, then I guess I'll be stocking up on "free" buttons and card stock! ;)
I can tell that you are disappointed. You said that you should wait to see if things from the catty go in the SAB catalog before buying them, and I can understand that. But, this is the first time that they have done this with the SAB offerings, and I suspect that like almost everything they do, they will change it up next year. Last year, they had SAB exclusive stamp sets, as well as some that you could get from the big catalog. I'm guessing that they saw a big response to this, justifying the change that we see now.
I was surprised last year at how many different choices they offered from the main catalog. I was equally surprised by the smaller amount of choices this year. I'm thinking that I will get get sets that I want, and don't already have, and then I will get the other fun things that they are offering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #164  
Mad Swapper

I love all the choices we have for SAB and I know my customers will too. The best thing is having a brand new Mini at the same time. My preorder is coming next Monday and I can't wait to see some of the new products! How can SAB be disappointing? Free is free, sounds great to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #165  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the two embossing folder last month as well so I was a bit disappointed about that, BUT, I can still earn other things that might be useful for me - ie - Brads/Ribbon packs, DSP, the cardstocks, and even the Kindness Matter Stamp Set (currently in big catty) so I am grateful!
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #166  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Sooo funny. Has anyone figured out why bacon??? I mean there must be something behind it...maybe bringing home the bacon?? Kind of like the goofy guy who has "Pay Me" tattoo'd on his hands....the only way I'd ever use a bacon stamp would be if I was doing a cooking themed card, and I don't usually do those.
Just a guess, but because it is the epitome of yummy-ness?:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #167  
Hardware Hotshot

I just pre-ordered a few things from the mini....I also got the ribbon/brad pack and dsp free.....hooray!!!! I love three of stamp sets that will be available during SAB that are out of the big catty and can't wait to get my hands on those also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #168  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came back to this thread to apologize for my negativity. I came down with the stomach flu right around the time I first read this thread, and it must have made me grumpy.

The SAB is fine, and I'm sure that there has to be something in there for just about everyone. I know that, for me, the Occasions mini is usually the best catalog that SU puts out every year. I look forward to seeing that in the near future!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #169  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I just came back to this thread to apologize for my negativity. I came down with the stomach flu right around the time I first read this thread, and it must have made me grumpy.

The SAB is fine, and I'm sure that there has to be something in there for just about everyone. I know that, for me, the Occasions mini is usually the best catalog that SU puts out every year. I look forward to seeing that in the near future!
Ugg... I hate getting sick. I hope you feel better soon.

I know you are a Christian. So, I'm sure you will be excited to see that they have a nice wooden religious Easter stamp in the Occasions mini. I know I was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #170  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Yuck, stuff sure has been going around it seems! I hope you are feeling much better now! Hugs!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #171  
Gallery Gazer

Thumbs up

Quote:

Bless you, I sure have had my moments of being negative as I am sure we all have. One thing about a negative comment, it sure gets the conversation going

I remember that I was negative more than a couple of times regarding the issue of starting the two catalogs a year!

Have a wonderful day.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #172  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for coming back. I hope the flu has gone and left you feeling much better!
And you're right ... the Occasions mini always seems to be awesome! (I like the Holiday mini ... but it tends to be so Christmas-oriented ... and the Occasions works for ... well ... all Occasions!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #174  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:

Sooo funny. Has anyone figured out why bacon??? I mean there must be something behind it...maybe bringing home the bacon?? Kind of like the goofy guy who has "Pay Me" tattoo'd on his hands....the only way I'd ever use a bacon stamp would be if I was doing a cooking themed card, and I don't usually do those.
maybe a Jewish guy who REALLY REALLY wanted to tick off his mom ( pork AND a tattoo???)

scratch that - there are hundreds of them, what is that about!?!?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #175  
Mad Swapper

The SAB is just okay, but the Occasions mini is indeed filled with goodies. Clearly, there are less choices this year in the SAB, but still some variety of products offered which is definitely better than the olden days of stamp sets only (because let's face it, those sets were all starting to look alike). It is what it is, SU can't hit a home run with every catalog/mini or other promotion, but overall their track record is pretty darn good - at least that is what the abundance of SU stamps sets and supplies in my craft room tells me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #176  

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the SAB designer paper! I'll be getting more of it for sure! I even made a Christmas card with it yesterday!

I am very happy with the choices this time. Love the stamp set, paper, and brad/ribbon bundle that all coordinate, the choices from the IBC, and the opportunity to get some free buttons or card stock if I decide I'm sick of free stamps!
Attached Thumbnails
Sale-a-bration 2012-img_8359-1280x1023-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #177  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Bacon has been a "thing" in the tecchie-nerd community for years. My dh is one. The slogan I hear all the time is "bacon is meat candy". Go to thinkgeek.com (I buy gifts for dh from them sometimes) and search for bacon. You can buy bacon lollipops, bacon frosting, bacon mints, bacon gum, bacon toothpaste, bacon popcorn, bacon hot sauce, bacon gumballs, bacon lip balm, bacon soap, bacon candles, bacon croutons, bacon jelly beans, baconnaise... not to mention the myriad tee-shirts, toys, wallets, bandages, socks, etc. (You guys hungry yet? hehehe)

My 14 yo dd got a bacon band aid from somewhere and thought it was the coolest thing. Stuck it on the bathroom mirror. (Unused! LOL) Then when I was sewing my dh's halloween costume-- Domo (if you are a tecchie-nerd or Japan fan you will know who that is!)-- I cut a mustache from the leftover brown fur for her (cause that's the other "thing" kids these days think is hilarious, right?) and she put it on the bacon band aid. So now my bathroom mirror has a bacon band-aid wearing a 'stache and my dd loves it. I just. don't. get. it. but whatever, I'm 40. :-)

Anyway it seems the bacon craze has been trickling down from the nerds to the mainstream. I think hipsters have gotta have something to do with it. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 AM   #178  
Kookie Creator

AHHH! I got my SAB and Ocassions Mini yesterday!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #179  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
There must be something wrong with me because I didn't see anything that makes my heart pound, gives me a thrill shiver, or even piques my interest. :-(

I think something is wrong with me, too, for similar reasons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #180  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I think something is wrong with me, too, for similar reasons.
It's OK if it doesn't make your heart pound right away. Some of the best love affairs start off slowly ... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #181  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can't wait to see the Occasions Mini

Quote:

I read your post and I don't think you sounded negative or critical at all. I just read it as matter-of-fact, that's your opinion and you just made a general statement. Nothing grumpy about it.

I happen to agree that the SAB is a dud. Non-eventful and boring. It certainly wouldn't entice me to become an SU demo. That's just my opinion.

I think sometimes people confuse an opinion with an invitation to argue, try to persuade you otherwise, convince you that you're wrong. Opinions are not right or wrong. Some people like cats, some like dogs, some like both. What's the big deal?

So, I am extra anxious to see the Occasions Mini and hope it gives me some AH moments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #182  

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
I read your post and I don't think you sounded negative or critical at all. I just read it as matter-of-fact, that's your opinion and you just made a general statement. Nothing grumpy about it.

I happen to agree that the SAB is a dud. Non-eventful and boring. It certainly wouldn't entice me to become an SU demo. That's just my opinion.

I think sometimes people confuse an opinion with an invitation to argue, try to persuade you otherwise, convince you that you're wrong. Opinions are not right or wrong. Some people like cats, some like dogs, some like both. What's the big deal?

So, I am extra anxious to see the Occasions Mini and hope it gives me some AH moments.

Surely SOMETHING in there will:-) I've started playing with a few things and I'm loving them....in fact I need to check the box that came tonight because something should be in there I didn't see!!!!! Uh-oh!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #183  

WOW!!! I'm glad I read this thread as it reminded me that I had ordered something from the mini with my CR order and it was under some packing paper. I totally almost threw the box out!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #184  
Kookie Creator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #185  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I am not a demo and love Stampin Up products. That said, SAB is a dud again. It has been for the last few years. Stumps me. If you want to entice people to buy, don't you want to give them something exciting????!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #186  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I am not a demo and love Stampin Up products. That said, SAB is a dud again. It has been for the last few years. Stumps me. If you want to entice people to buy, don't you want to give them something exciting????!!!
Joanne - I can accept that you don't like the SAB choices ... but I guess my question then becomes ... what would you find 'exciting'? What type of products? styles?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #187  
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=not2shabbydesigns;19026149]I read your post and I don't think you sounded negative or critical at all. I just read it as matter-of-fact, that's your opinion and you just made a general statement. Nothing grumpy about it.

===================

Well stated. One sees this happening quite a bit on CE (a different opinion=invitation to argue or persuade otherwise). I am an avid shopper and buyer of Stampin Up products. I will continue to be. SAB is still a dud.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #188  
Kookie Creator

Yep, I'm with the rest of you... SAB is a dud in my opinion too. It's certainly not going to entice me to spend $50+ to "earn" anything. I do like the Occasions mini though, and will be getting a few of the goodies in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #189  
Die Cut Diva

Question

I was so excited to see the Occasions cattie...die and stamp combos.. love it..but then I looked at the prices... Awww just too much! I can get Spellbinders and Justrite sets for a half or a third less.... and Hero Arts are coming out with a new line... but there is one stamp in the SAB that I like so.. hummm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #190  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniestamperView Post
I was so excited to see the Occasions cattie...die and stamp combos.. love it..but then I looked at the prices... Awww just too much! I can get Spellbinders and Justrite sets for a half or a third less.... and Hero Arts are coming out with a new line... but there is one stamp in the SAB that I like so.. hummm
I've been scooping up quite a few Spellbinders at JoAnn Fabric with their 50% off coupons=12.50 post coupon. Quite a deal and lots of sizes and options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #191  
Hardware Hotshot

The new Hero Arts stamp sets with matching Sizzix dies are super cute are really affordable at $25 for the set. BUT, if you have a 30% off coupon for Archivers, you can snag one for just $17.50! I have one in my hand right now that has five stamps and five matching dies. That price is hard to beat. And if you have a store nearby, you'll pay NO shipping and handling. I'm steering away from big catalog companies these days because of the outrageous shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #192  
Polyshrink Goddess

The SAB catalog is, in my opinion, just OK. But the prices on so many of the SU stamp sets have gotten crazy expensive, I think. Too often lately I find that I'd only want to get one or two of the stamps in a set and but at the prices SU charges for the set I can't justify buying the entire set. There is so much competition among stamp companies...and all these companies seem to produce the same sorts of images that I can almost always find a stamp like the one(s) that I like in an SU stamp set at a price that won't break my budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #193  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

I'm not an SU demo, but I have spent close to $2000 for SU products over the past two and a half years. I have always been excited about their products and stuff, but I have to admit, once I got the paper copy of the SAB and mini in my hands, this one doesn't do a lot for me. Now, after having said that, that's happened before and then my demo shows me something really cool and then it begins.....:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #194  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not a SU demo, but another demo - and really, prices on everything is going up. I don't like some of the prices on the stuff I sell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #195  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I do love me some SU ribbons
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #196  
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieLPView Post
The SAB catalog is, in my opinion, just OK. But the prices on so many of the SU stamp sets have gotten crazy expensive, I think. Too often lately I find that I'd only want to get one or two of the stamps in a set and but at the prices SU charges for the set I can't justify buying the entire set. There is so much competition among stamp companies...and all these companies seem to produce the same sorts of images that I can almost always find a stamp like the one(s) that I like in an SU stamp set at a price that won't break my budget.
Ditto..I feel the same way ...and if you have a lot of stamps you really don't want anymore big sets of stamps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #197  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Now, after having said that, that's happened before and then my demo shows me something really cool and then it begins.....:p
I couldn't agree more--whenever I get a new SU catalog or mini, I gravitate toward certain stamp sets and styles...but after seeing how my demonstrator uses items, I often change my mind and fall in love with things I hadn't looked at too carefully before. Last year, before choosing my SAB items, I went through the gallery here to see how people used the various sets, and ended up getting completely different things than I thought I would.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #198  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
[/COLOR]

Surely SOMETHING in there will:-) I've started playing with a few things and I'm loving them....in fact I need to check the box that came tonight because something should be in there I didn't see!!!!! Uh-oh!
LOVE the Wedding Words wheel. I'm getting that one. I think it will make pretty gift card holders for wedding presents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #199  

Quote:

LOVE the Wedding Words wheel. I'm getting that one. I think it will make pretty gift card holders for wedding presents.
That's a good idea! I'm trying to resist but I like the wheel and the set....

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #200  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapmomoftwinsView Post
I couldn't agree more--whenever I get a new SU catalog or mini, I gravitate toward certain stamp sets and styles...but after seeing how my demonstrator uses items, I often change my mind and fall in love with things I hadn't looked at too carefully before. Last year, before choosing my SAB items, I went through the gallery here to see how people used the various sets, and ended up getting completely different things than I thought I would.
I have done the same thing!
Reply With Quote Likes