Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sad night of die cutting.....

After probably 15+ years, I lost one of the plates that came with my Cuttlebug. I was working on my Christmas card ideas tonight and the plate let out a loud crack. Not the normal groaning cracking sounds, but a very loud snap. Rest In Peace beloved plate. You’ve served me well through the years. On the edges of the plate I can still see marks from the postage stamp edged die that came with it. Maybe I need to pull out that die and make a card in remembrance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Oh my, I always hate it when I have to toss something away, even when I've gotten more life out of than I could have expected. A friend of mine had a sizzix plate crack like this, but she just kept using the two pieces that were left, haha! Just had to use it with smaller dies. I can't bear the thought of being without my Sizzix Big Shot plates, so I always buy extras to keep on hand.
Rest in peace Cuttlebug plate...you had a good run.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 06:54 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

You might want to search out and purchase additional plates (assuming that you can find any) since it was announced in April 2019 that the Cuttlebug was being discontinued.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know about E-Bay USA, but on E-Bay UK, there are many people selling generic replacement plates for various machines. You could also try local hardware store- keep your broken plate as an example- who would stock and cut perspex sheets to size for you. I say to take your broken plate as example, as the perspex itself comes in a variety of thicknesses, so they'll need to measure your broken one - or even your remaining one if you've already tossed it. However, our E-Bay the sellers do say which machines they cut for, so then it's not a problem.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 07-06-2020 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

There was a thread some where on here about making your own plates. Maybe in the original thread about the cuttlebug being discontinued.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Try

Cuttle Bug "B" Plates - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

OR

Cricut discontinuing Cuttlebug - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I no longer own a Cuttlebug, but I do have a Big Shot foldaway (love it) and I have been using a cutting mat in mine as a top plate without any problems. This idea is not originally mine, but in truth, the WRMK Evolution Advanced used cutting mats (and I had one of those). At any rate, I think cutting mats work better with intricate dies (I use the mat with the die facing up into it) than the acrylic plates and lasts way longer. I'm still on the first cutting mat and its been almost a year of cutting intricate dies with plenty of life to go.

I would measure the thickness of the cutting plate in millimeters (since this is how I've seen cutting mats sold). I believe the Cuttlebug plates are the same thickness as the Big Shot: 3mm. Then just find a cutting mat that thick and either find a size that's a little shy of 6" x 8" or cut one down (I've used heavy duty craft shears, but the TH snips should work). I found a 12 x 9 mat that I cut into two pads. I still use the acrylic plate as my do-not cut plate, on the bottom or top depending on the sandwich for added stability. The bonus: cutting mats are easily accessible and will last far longer. In fact, when my beloved cutting mat started to curl in a particularly tight sandwich, I placed a paper towel on top, and used my iron on medium setting to relax it-- it's now flat like the day I purchased it and I don't have to worry about it cracking because it is made of flexible material.

I hope this helps you get years more out of your Cuttlebug without having to spend a lot on replacement plates.

Best,
Doreen

P.S RIP Cuttlebug plate, trustworthy crafting pal, you are gone, but not forgotten ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Oh, no! How sad! My plate cracked after 12 years but I kept it to use with smaller dies. My CB is going on 16 years and has never had a problem. I love that little green machine! I also love it because the day I got it, I raced home from the craft store with my then 4 year old, 2 year old, and newborn to put the younger two down for their naps. Then, my 4 year old and I spent their nap time playing with it, cranking out all kinds of fun die-cut and embossed pieces. I gave them all to her to craft with. It was such a pleasant, sweet afternoon with the two of us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the information but my plate supply is fine. My ex-husband works at a plastic business and has been supplying me with acrylic blocks for stamping and with polycarbonate plates for die cutting. I’ve just been hoarding the new ones until absolutely necessary. I texted him this same picture last night and he immediately offered to get me more. Just sad to see it finally crack after so long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine had a sizzix plate crack like this, but she just kept using the two pieces that were left, haha! Just had to use it with smaller dies. I can't bear the thought of being without my Sizzix Big Shot plates, so I always buy extras to keep on hand.

Karen[/QUOTE]
I did the same thing, used the half plates and got a lot of use out of them. 😁
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I am impressed you got 16 years out of it! Mine never last that long. (big shot)

Dont feel bad. It is a testament to a LOT of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2020, 06:32 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

So sorry for your loss.... mine cracked a couple of years ago so I just took the broken piece to the local hardware store. They measured the thickness and cut me a new piece from their plexiglass stock. Works just fine and it was only a couple of bucks as opposed to the other alternative $$$$$$. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2020, 02:14 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

RIP plate. You had a long and beautiful life. :(

The Cuttlebug was the best die cutting machine ever on the market. I miss mine. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,995 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51
View Post

You might want to search out and purchase additional plates (assuming that you can find any) since it was announced in April 2019 that the Cuttlebug was being discontinued.

I didn’t know this! I still use mine, but also use a big shot. My big shot is in worse shape than my old green Cuttlebug, which I think I have had Almost 20 years! But I did get new plates somewhere along the line. I like the embossing on it rather than the Big Shot.

Sad they are dis-continuing it. But I will use mine till it dies! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up I just started using self-healing mat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gdoreen
View Post

Hi, I no longer own a Cuttlebug, but I do have a Big Shot foldaway (love it) and I have been using a cutting mat in mine as a top plate without any problems. This idea is not originally mine, but in truth, the WRMK Evolution Advanced used cutting mats (and I had one of those). At any rate, I think cutting mats work better with intricate dies (I use the mat with the die facing up into it) than the acrylic plates and lasts way longer. I'm still on the first cutting mat and its been almost a year of cutting intricate dies with plenty of life to go.

I would measure the thickness of the cutting plate in millimeters (since this is how I've seen cutting mats sold). I believe the Cuttlebug plates are the same thickness as the Big Shot: 3mm. Then just find a cutting mat that thick and either find a size that's a little shy of 6" x 8" or cut one down (I've used heavy duty craft shears, but the TH snips should work). I found a 12 x 9 mat that I cut into two pads. I still use the acrylic plate as my do-not cut plate, on the bottom or top depending on the sandwich for added stability. The bonus: cutting mats are easily accessible and will last far longer. In fact, when my beloved cutting mat started to curl in a particularly tight sandwich, I placed a paper towel on top, and used my iron on medium setting to relax it-- it's now flat like the day I purchased it and I don't have to worry about it cracking because it is made of flexible material.

I hope this helps you get years more out of your Cuttlebug without having to spend a lot on replacement plates.

Best,
Doreen

P.S RIP Cuttlebug plate, trustworthy crafting pal, you are gone, but not forgotten

Doreen, I read about this a while back and bought some self-healing cutting mats. My husband cut them to size for me last week and I am thrilled with the results. Intricate dies cut perfectly, there is less or almost no snapping and popping, and the plates are staying straight. Cutting into the cutting mat means you don’t cut into the cutting plates, so I expect them to last forever. I think the cost savings will be pretty good on not replacing the cutting plates. So far I am really happy with the difference. I am using these in my Empress Mini and my full size Gemini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Where can I find self healing mats that are thick enough to be used as a cutting plate. The Fiskars mat that is on my craft desk is a lot thinner than my Big Shot plates. This sounds like a really good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Default AccuQuilt GO! Cutting Mat; 6-inch-by-12-inch

I use AccuQuilt GO! Cutting Mat; 6-inch-by-12-inch

as my cutting plate in my Big Shot. I turn it over each time. I've been using it for many years. Just clean it every once in a while. I received this information from a thread here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Cinful. I'll have to look around for that mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodly Creations
View Post

A friend of mine had a sizzix plate crack like this, but she just kept using the two pieces that were left, haha! Just had to use it with smaller dies. I can't bear the thought of being without my Sizzix Big Shot plates, so I always buy extras to keep on hand.

Karen

I recently had a plate crack in half as well and plan on using the two smaller pieces for smaller items.

That being said, I do have a set of back-up plates as well "just in case." I also bought an "almost new" Cuttlebug at a yardsale a year or so ago. Again--just in case!

I do have a Big Shot also, but for some reason I just always reach for my Cuttlebug. Love that little guy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Default On Amazon

Quote:

Originally Posted by tawna21
View Post

Where can I find self healing mats that are thick enough to be used as a cutting plate. The Fiskars mat that is on my craft desk is a lot thinner than my Big Shot plates. This sounds like a really good idea.

The brand I bought is Bremen. I bought a clear one that I don’t see available anymore, but they also carry the green. I don’t use it instead of the cutting plates, I use it with the cutting plates instead of any of the shims or magnetic plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 04:56 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

My C plate broke in half after only a few uses. I had the original Cuttlebug but had so many problems with the plates. I donated it to an assisted living home and bought the Gemini Jr. True, when the electric goes out I can't die cut... but I also have the original Diamond Press and the Craft Buddy. Both are small, but so are most of my dies.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes