Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requests for stamped images

A couple of times now, I have been asked if I would stamp some images and send them to a member of SCS. Either just to be nice because someone is out of work or because the stamp was discontinued and they are willing to swap images. Just wanted if anyone has any opinion on doing this. I was really surprised both times that I was asked.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #2  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Yes, I've been asked before...not really surprised.

A great way to get stamped images is to join the WRAK (Wish RAK) forum!
Request to join the RAK group, once approved, join WRAK.
You fill other stampers' wishes to earn wishes to wish for what YOU want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Usually I'll play in the PIF stamped images threads, wish rak, or I'll trade for some images. Only one time I had someone ask me to stamp them some images and I was more than happy to stamp them for her. I'm glad to share what I have because I know that there are some who don’t have very many stamps and maybe they can't afford to purchase new ones, especially in today's economy.

On the flip side....if someone is asking you to stamp like 50 of the same image then they really should just purchase the stamp. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Am curious....What in particular surprised you? Did you think it was cheeky and was it someone you had previously corresponded with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I think I've been asked once, and offered twice in cases when a stamp was not available to purchase. I do like to respect copyright, but when it's not available to buy, I don't get hung up over that.
One of the situations in which I offered, I got a lovely little clear stamp back as a thank-you , although with international postage I had said I really wasn't looking for anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always am happy to stamp a few images for others. I usually send 6 or 8 images. That way they get a feel for them and some have liked them so much they went ahead and bought that exact stamp for themselves.
I know myself I have been introduced and bought so many stamps because of the images someone else stamped for me. I play Wish RAK and I LOVE it! I also participate in image swaps.

Wish RAK is a great way to try images before you buy them. Some I did really like and then tried but decided I would not use the stamp like I thought. Other images well I have many that had to buy after trying them.
So sharing images is a great way to be introduced to a company as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have done this and cut die cuts out for people before. I think it is a great way to get hold of things you know you'll only use that one time, or will help you decide if you want to buy the stamp or die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

I've been on SCS for a while now but haven't been uploading cards in my gallery for very long. I didn't know about Wish RAK and wasn't sure about the copyright. It just surprised me when I was asked to send her some images. I guess it's a common thing - thanks for letting me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

There is just one exception to the "it's okay to share" rule - digital stamps. Most companies who offer digital stamps don't want you to include their images in any such image swap, or even to stamp them for your friends. (You can check their Terms of Use (TOU) if you're not sure.) I try to respect that, but otherwise I think the general consensus is that it's fine to send a few images to someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #10  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

And I know that Hambo Stamps doesn't want images to be shared.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia_77View Post
There is just one exception to the "it's okay to share" rule - digital stamps. Most companies who offer digital stamps don't want you to include their images in any such image swap, or even to stamp them for your friends. (You can check their Terms of Use (TOU) if you're not sure.) I try to respect that, but otherwise I think the general consensus is that it's fine to send a few images to someone.
Yes MOST DIGI stamps are not allowed to share at all. Not even for a friend in their TOS.
The only rubber stamp company that we cannot use in Wish RAK is Hambo Stamps. They had a upset about it. So I had a stamping with friends evening and gave them all my Hambo stamps and no longer own any. A few things were said that made me decide that I cannot support them as a company any longer.

But now other companies actually love Wish Rak. Many stampers have been turned onto new companies. I know I found Whiff Of Joy, Sarah Kay, GinaK, Sugar Nellie and a few others through Wish Rak. I see a company naem and I get curious so I have to check out and then I get hooked!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #12  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get this request quite frequently. In fact, there are two requests sitting in my inbox right now.

If the image they are requesting comes from one of my design team sets, then I cannot, under obligation to the company I work for, send images. That is basically taking money out of the stamp companies pockets.

If the image is from a stamp that I personally purchased (non-digi), then I generally oblige. It may take me a week or so, but I always let the person know that it will take that long as I try to group those type of activities together.

We have such a unique community here. Sharing makes the world go around .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

My experience is different. I commented on how much I loved an image used on a card in the gallery and the artist contacted me and offered to send me some stamped images of it. I was so surprised and of course I took her up on it, in return I had her look at my gallery and I stamped some for her.

...no matter where you are, there you are! my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I recently posted on the ISO thread and received some images from 2 very generous ladies here. I was looking to swap images but neither one needed images. I was very pleased with the images and am glad that we all have this site to share and swap!!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I was lucky enough to have a member of SCS offer to send me some stamped images after I had commented on a lovely card she had made. I thought it was lovely of her, especially as I am in Australia. In turn I offered to send her some of my images and she was happy to get them. Naturally digital images that people buy shouldn't be shared, but what about some of the digital "freebies" I have downloaded, would there be anything against me sending one of those to someone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan RView Post
I was lucky enough to have a member of SCS offer to send me some stamped images after I had commented on a lovely card she had made. I thought it was lovely of her, especially as I am in Australia. In turn I offered to send her some of my images and she was happy to get them. Naturally digital images that people buy shouldn't be shared, but what about some of the digital "freebies" I have downloaded, would there be anything against me sending one of those to someone?
We are not supposed to share the free ones either. It's usually posted not to share and that we are asked to direct others to the website so that they can download it themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

I am on a UK forum which used to have a lively image swap corner. Then the moderator of the site posted the following: "Please note that the swapping of stamped images typically contravenes the Angel policy of rubber stamp manufacturers, and we therefore request that users of the docrafts site do not use the forum, gallery or private massages to organize this type of image swap. We thank you for your understanding in this matter.". While this may only be the site not wanting to be seen hosting swaps, a lot of members tried to get clarification on the whole idea and it all got as clear as mud! (As one can buy stamped images on eBay I'm still not sure either...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

It is definitely against angel policies to sell stamped images (like those you see on ebay). I doubt there is any stamp company that says it is okay to sell stamped images created from their stamps. No money is going to the illustrator or manufacturer of the image (only to the unscrupulous sellers of the stamped images).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Opinions on this topic will vary widely. ;)

Any company is within their rights to protect their copyrights; this is their livelihood after all. And, I respect that.

I personally prefer to support the illustrator and stamp company by purchasing their stamps and do not engage in image swapping at all.

I also don't see the difference between sharing hand-stamped images or digital images, frankly. But, again, that is a matter of opinion.

Whatever a company's policy is, I will graciously abide by it, since I'm not the creator or owner of the artwork itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

It is a grey area, as I see it. For what it's worth, any swapping I have done has just confirmed to me that I NEED a particular stamp set. I don't really see how this differs from lending the actual set and definitely makes more sense with online friends. I know that I have borrowed a set or two (or twenty) from real life friends when I just needed it for a particular project but it didn't make economic sense to purchase the whole set. Until I find that money tree...

Ren�e

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I would also be happy to stamp any images if somebody wants/likes them and vice versa is also true - I wouldn't mind if somebody wants to send me some stamped images. To me it is sharing - just like I wouldn't mind sharing something with my neighbor. To me it is akin to sharing a stamp with a neighbor - would I do that? yes I would. In this case, due to the distance I can't share the stamp so I don't mind sharing the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

Any company is within their rights to protect their copyrights; this is their livelihood after all. And, I respect that.

I personally prefer to support the illustrator and stamp company by purchasing their stamps and do not engage in image swapping at all.

I also don't see the difference between sharing hand-stamped images or digital images, frankly. But, again, that is a matter of opinion.

Whatever a company's policy is, I will graciously abide by it, since I'm not the creator or owner of the artwork itself.
I agree.

There isn't any difference in my opinion between sharing a digi image and a stamp image. I've seen some not so nice views shared on stamp companies that resist image swapping. I don't believe it's fair to respect digi stamp companies wishes yet slam a rubber stamp company for the same policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
Yes MOST DIGI stamps are not allowed to share at all. Not even for a friend in their TOS.
The only rubber stamp company that we cannot use in Wish RAK is Hambo Stamps. They had a upset about it. So I had a stamping with friends evening and gave them all my Hambo stamps and no longer own any. A few things were said that made me decide that I cannot support them as a company any longer.

But now other companies actually love Wish Rak. Many stampers have been turned onto new companies. I know I found Whiff Of Joy, Sarah Kay, GinaK, Sugar Nellie and a few others through Wish Rak. I see a company naem and I get curious so I have to check out and then I get hooked!!!
That's disappointing news. I have been away from RAK/WRAK for several months due to some personal type stuff but was about ready to get back into it this Spring. I have purchased a small number of Hambos, but yeah, I guess I will have to rethink that policy in the future.

like so many others I have found new stamp companies strictly through WRAK.. My original universe was SU! only.. I truly had no idea there was anybody else out there and when I asked to receive some general images like Christmas or manly, I was amazed at the selection and now my collection includes many companies that I never would have been exposed to without WRAK.

Many of our stamping Sistren( is that a word?!) in Oz and GB and even Canada don't have easy access to some companies so I always am happy to send some images to brighten someone's day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I have a neighbor who is into card making etc and we often borrow each others stamps, nesties etc. Neither of us are making any profit from our hobby, just making cards for family and friends. I can't see the diff between lending her my actual stamp or stamping a couple of images for her. Another SCS member (a felllow Australian) kindly did a little swap of images with me and she sent me some House Mouse. I have often looked at those and wondered if I would really like them. I am hooked! LOL. I am now trying to decide which House Mice/Mouses to buy! So I guess this happens quite often and that's good for the stamp companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

ITA. As per usual with most of your posts. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes