Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2018, 04:28 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Removing index stickers from SU stamps

Hi all I don't use the index stickers on the SU stamps due to their design flaws, but there are pre-owned sets I have acquired that came with the stickers already there. When I peel them off, there is still adhesive stuck on the back - does anyone know how can I safely remove that? I don't want to ruin the cling part so I am not really up for experimenting. Any ideas or tried-and-true solutions? Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Hmmmm ... a couple of ideas to consider:
  • It's possible that peeling off the index sticker would pull off chunks/bits of the foam. If that happens, one would need to remove all of the foam, use some Un-Do or similar to remove the clumpy junk, then apply the cleaned rubber to EZ-Mount foam (available online)
  • Or ... apply a thin layer of Aleene's Tack It Over & Over adhesive to the index sticker. Allow drying time before using the stamp on your acrylic block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

You should be able to remove the sticky residue with UnDu as well. Apply just a few drops, and then you should be able to rub off the adhesive with your finger. I've never had any damage done to my stamps using this method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! I have not used UnDu before, I will have to look that up. I had thought about just peeling the rubber off and using EZ Mount but they are cut so nice and pretty from SU - If I try to do it, it for sure won't be as "clean" as it is now. Off to look up UnDu!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Thanks! I have not used UnDu before, I will have to look that up. I had thought about just peeling the rubber off and using EZ Mount but they are cut so nice and pretty from SU - If I try to do it, it for sure won't be as "clean" as it is now. Off to look up UnDu!!!
'Goo-Gone' is another one .... has a citrus oil scent, & lasts near forever. These are also great for getting the icky-sticky from industrial package tape off the backs of dies, price tag sticklers off any non-porous items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain!!! This drives me bonkers with the image stickers too. When I buy used sets and the stickers are already on them - the edges at times are curling off when I get them. I now always ask in advance if the stickers are adhered or not. I hate going through the whole ordeal of removing them or trying to get them to stick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 10:58 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the new Voc un-du as well as the original. The original cannot be sold in California and I miss it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, I 'm surprised to hear they won't come off easily for you. All the ones I've bought used, and all the ones I bought myself and put the stickers on (before I wised up and stopped doing that!) -- I just peel the sticker right off of the foam! They just come right off with no residue left behind.I wonder if it's a humidity thing? I live in a dry area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SU cling stickers been a problem from the get go. Wouldn’t you think SU would have fixed the problem by now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
... also wondered if it made a difference how long the stickers were on for - the ones where I put the stickers on in the beginning were only on for a short time so they came right off...

Hmm I'd think no... some of the ones I removed the stickers from were sets that I bought right when SU started doing clear-mount, so those are as old as they get (just SU I mean).

Hopefully you'll find an easy solution that won't wreck your foam! I definitely prefer clear-mount (or photopolymer) over wood mounted nowadays. I'm currently sorting through all my stamps on a big purge, and the wood ones I decide to keep I might be taking those off the blocks as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having trouble picturing this. So, do you all leave the sticker off and leave the thick paper that covers the sticky cushion in place or what? How do you stick the stamp to the block?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
I'm having trouble picturing this. So, do you all leave the sticker off and leave the thick paper that covers the sticky cushion in place or what? How do you stick the stamp to the block?

If you leave the sheet of stickers just as they are, as in don't use them, and then just pop out one the rubber cling stamps - they stick the block SOOO WELL!!! Yes you do have to pull off the white sheet to expose the cling side of the stamp. I toss out the white covering and use them like any other stamp.

Some people keep the rubber sheet and place the images back onto it and some keep the stamps loose. I keep the rubber sheet and place the stamps back into it.

So ultimately - leave the stickers off, pull of the white backing, and voila. You have a cling stamp that actually adheres to the block.

It does suck not having the image, and for some reason, SU won't fix it. Some people have work arounds, but I just don't bother anymore.

Last edited by Catherine773; 02-05-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
No, you take that brown paper off the stamp. That exposes the cling material. Then do not add the sticker.

Then they work just like any other cling-mounted set that doesn't already have the image indexed on it (like Unity's, for instance)-- they cling. It isn't exactly adhesive on the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Emily and Catherine, I meant to say the stamps from wood mount stamps where the stamps have not been mounted yet. If I remove the brown backing then all that would be left is the very sticky part that is meant to glue the cushion and stamp to the block. Is the only solution to separate the rubber from the cushion and mount it on another piece of mounting foam? TIA

Reply With Quote Likes