Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen TruemanView Post
I know what you mean. I've been looking lately. I work at a hospital and trying to make sympathy cards that don't speak of heaven, prayers, etc is very difficult. You have to be very generic, especially these days when folks are so easily offended.
Karen - here are a couple I've found that I really like:

Quietfire Design - Perhaps they are not stars

River City Rubber Works: Eskimo Folklore, Wood Mounted Rubber Stamp

River City Rubber Works: May You Find Comfort, Wood Mounted Rubber Stamp

Not religious, but still appropriate. (The ones from River City Rubberworks are also available unmounted)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I make cards for my assistant minister to take to our elderly shut-ins. I make them as cheerful as I can and the only sentiment is "THINKING OF YOU" - I think this sentiment says it all.
Wish all of you "fun" people on this thread lived close enough that I could sit and stamp w/you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

My biggest complaint lately is the great birthday sets I love but half the stamps are for "belated". I have never sent a belated birthday card, and don't want to waste my money on a set that is half belated. In fact, I think belated birthday cards just might offend me.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
I don't use religious stamps very often, I do have a few specialty sets for those people that I make cards for that ARE very religious. I use alot of discretion when I use a religious symbol and/or verse. The same way I use alot of discretion before using any military or political themed stamp. Before I give a card to someone using any of the above stamps I have to know them well enough to know that any reference to religion/military/politics will not offend.

Having said that - this is exactly the reason I will NOT shop at Hobby Lobby. I have no desire to have to wind my way around crucifixes and listen to "The Old Rugged Cross" being piped over the speaker system. I find it insensitive, intrusive and entirely unnecessary. So instead of writing hate mail to the company, I simply don't go there. Problem solved.

What Hobby Lobby do you go too? I have been shopping at my local Hobby Lobby for a year now and Never heard Religous Music or seen any indecation in decor that they are a Religous company, untill I tried to go shopping there on a Sunday and they were closed.

You are missing some good stuff there! Good Prices and good coupons too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could make the same argument for any stamp set. I often find sets include stamps I'll never use. Maybe it's a dopey sentiment. Maybe it's a couple of images. Maybe it's a tricycle in with a bunch of bicycles. Sometimes I like the images and not the sentiments in the set. Sometimes I like the sentiment but not the images. At this point, I have to love most, if not all, of the images in a set before I buy it. One of these days I need to weed out all of the individual stamps that came with a set that I know I will never use.

Stamp manufacturers know they are taking risks when they sell sets for this very reason. We talk with our wallets. If they make bad combinations, people won't buy their sets.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
What a nice gesture it would be in this tough economy to give your unwanted stamps (of any kind) to someone who would love them instead of throwing them away...

Just a thought

Nicely said, Lydia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #47  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:

Having said that - this is exactly the reason I will NOT shop at Hobby Lobby. I have no desire to have to wind my way around crucifixes and listen to "The Old Rugged Cross" being piped over the speaker system. I find it insensitive, intrusive and entirely unnecessary. So instead of writing hate mail to the company, I simply don't go there. Problem solved.
i've always known i've had a hearing loss (i'm legally deaf in my right ear and almost there in my left)

but i have NEVER heard music at Hobby Lobby in ANY of the stores that i've been too.:oops:

i guess i'm worse off than i thought i was:eek:

now if i could just tune out dh as well! haha!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #48  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I finally started buying sets for the stamps I liked instead of avoiding sets because of stamps I wouldn't use. Two of my favorite SU sets have ridiculous words in my opinion. Garden Silhouettes has "lovely" and "charm" and Baroque Motifs has "kind" and cherish." Would love "thinking of you" or "take care" or "thank you."

For the original poster, I think you would easily be able to sell or trade your Scripture stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

It seems the problem for you can be solved very easily, quit buying the Christian stamps you do no like instead of knocking them! For years a lot of us have waited for wonderful companies to come forward and make Christian stamps! I love them!

From one Christian *Bible Thumper* to another...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
LOL, I'm a teacher by trade, but restrained myself from putting my red pen all over the computer monitor. ;)
go ahead, mark up your monitor. Here's one for you - mispelling. be sure to include grammer, captilization and punctuation errors too

haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sheena, It only makes sense, dont you think, that if you are offended by religious/spiritual sentiments, you dont purchase them. I think it's fairly easy to understand, by virtue of the spiritual sentiments we see so often on SCS, that perhaps more than not like spiritual sentiments.

It's interesting to me to understand why you would bring this to the forums area. I see you have not yet started your own gallery and have left very few comments on your fellow stampers' cards, so it would suggest you are not necessarily into making cards as one might think from reading your comments.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
[/COLOR]

What Hobby Lobby do you go too? I have been shopping at my local Hobby Lobby for a year now and Never heard Religous Music or seen any indecation in decor that they are a Religous company, untill I tried to go shopping there on a Sunday and they were closed.
I travel a lot and visit Hobby Lobby stores across the country because there isn't one in my town. They are closed on Sundays so employees can worship with their families. Most stores have that sentiment posted right on the glass doors and windows near the door (same as Chic-fil-A). They are allowed to play the music that their corporate office creates, or play a local Christian station, or nothing at all. Their merchandise is a lot like any other home decor/craft store - not "preachy" or "churchy" at all. I like shopping there when I can, just not on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #53  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne RyanView Post
Sheena, It only makes sense, dont you think, that if you are offended by religious/spiritual sentiments, you dont purchase them. I think it's fairly easy to understand, by virtue of the spiritual sentiments we see so often on SCS, that perhaps more than not like spiritual sentiments.

It's interesting to me to understand why you would bring this to the forums area. I see you have not yet started your own gallery and have left very few comments on your fellow stampers' cards, so it would suggest you are not necessarily into making cards as one might think from reading your comments.
To her and I'm sure other people it is fustrating to come across a stamp set (not an individual stamp) where you like some of the images and sentiments, but then there are religious ones added into it that you have no use for because you are not religious or they are no of pertaining to your faith. Yes she can find other companies, but that doesn't mean she can't express her fustration. Just because she doesn't have a gallery and leave few comments doesn't mean she isn't into make cards. I don't have a gallery and don't really comment, so I guess that means I am not really into making cards.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

I am not religious and don't have anyone in my life, bar ONE friend, who is. whenever I get a set with a religious saying in it, (or once I got a whole sheet of stickers from a DT) I give it to her!

She teaches bible study and Sunday school at her church and has lots of uses for Christian craft items!

I bet someone would benefit from your generosity, but having said that, I totally agree with you and a couple other people that mentioned the "friend" sayings. I am annoyed by any useless sentiments in a perfectly good set of images. I dislike "Enjoy" or "Spring" or obviously anything religious and it really irks me to have a totally useless stamp. You can't please everyone all the time, so I just find a home for the ones I really dislike, and live with the ones I will likely not use because I obviously liked the set enough to by it for SOME reason?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #55  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,182 Posts

I was just talking with a friend the other day and saying how I wish there were more scripture stamps available! I have to agree with those who said we all buy sets that have one or two stamps in them we will never use. Do they offend me? No, I just let them sit, lonely in those clam shells. Would anything have been said if you wanted religious stamps and they threw in some non-religious stamps? Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #56  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne RyanView Post

Companies offer what sells.

I completely understand the sympathy set problem, and I was ALL OVER the new set in the SU! Occasions Mini, page 13, Thanks for Caring - NO mention of religion or God! I couldn't wait to buy it. It is hard to find a set like this.

I just wanted to point out that your last paragraph is definitely an invalid assumption. I know a lot of people here that stamp but have no gallery.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #57  
Inking Addict

I find this thread HILARIOUS!

Why on earth would anyone complain about religious stamps? I mean, actually complain? Really??

I'm not an animal lover, and I wouldn't by a stamp set with animals dressd in clothes, but I certainly wouldn't consider boycotting the entire company because they chose to make a set for others! How closed minded for a company, or person in sales, to be so one sided. Look at how many sets have ZERO religious sentiments or graphics! I think the odds are in your favor to find lots of sets that you love and not be put off from them.

Maybe I just don't have that much time on my hands to start fuming about a company because of their right to market their merchandise the way they want. Or maybe I'm just too lazy to look for additional stamp sets.

Good thing I like the alphabet, otherwise I'd never be able to write without being offended!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #58  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaSheldon1View Post
I find this thread HILARIOUS!

Why on earth would anyone complain about religious stamps? I mean, actually complain? Really??
Well, that's why we have all these tons of forums. What might interest one person might seem crazy to another.

I see this thread as one person's vent about something bugging them. I hope she isn't really offended at Christian verses in stamp sets, I don't use them either, but they don't offend me, and I'd never stop buying from a company just because of a few sentiments, if I liked other stuff they did. I'm a Stampin' Up! girl, myself, and I know they incorporate a lot of religious stuff, I just don't buy those sets. But it doesn't "offend" me either.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #59  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts
Smile

I'm glad that there are so many companies out there where everyone can find what they like. I am a Christian, and I believe everyone has a right to their own beliefs. God gave us free will. I hope your family members did not turn you against Christianity. I have noticed a real anti-Christian atmosphere in the past few years, and I hope it doesn't affect what I can or cannot purchase, as I have the right to purchase what I love also. There are a lot of legalistic types of people that have turned many against Christianity and that saddens me. I think it is better to be a good example of what a Christian is (as it sounds like your husband does) than to try to force my beliefs on others. That being said, I do not believe that I have to be "tolerant" of other's beliefs, if they are not tolerant of mine. I was really pleased with CTMH's Christmas stamps this past winter. I bought two Nativity sets, and loved the Christian sentiments also. I did notice on some of the sets there was a mixture of religious and non-religious sentiments and that made for a good mix.
I did want to say though, that I understand how unpleasant experiences with family or others can sour a person against certain things. There are even certain songs I cannot stand to hear, because they make me sad, reminding me of difficult times in life. And there are certain people I do not wish to be around, because they are unpleasant and bring negativity with them. That being said, I hope noone has soured you against having a relationship with Christ. I cannot stand to hear people say that if you don't go to church, you'll go to h*** or if you don't get baptized, you'll go to ***, etc... Those types of statements not only are not true, but they turn many people away from Christianity. I have been around hypocrits at church also, and it helps me to remember that the only one on this Earth who was never a sinner was Christ. And we do not get to heaven through our own works. If that were the case, none of us could make it. Please don't let the legalists and hypocrits get you down! You have your own spirtual journey. There was a time in my life when I was younger, that I felt very similar to what you are feeling. We all have to find our own way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

I love M&M's candies. I think they taste yummy and they're pretty to put into my vintage candy dish and set on my sideboard. But I don't like the red ones. They make my tongue itch. Do I stop buying M&M candies? NO WAY! :lol: I just pick out the red ones and give those to my kids.

Not much difference in stamp sets. There are going to be stamps in sets that really "grab" you and then there are the ones that rub you the wrong way.

I'd just offer the ones you don't want up for sale...someone will be looking for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

I went back and re-read the original post - she never said anything about boycotting any company because they made religious stamps, she was venting her frustration that several companies had sets she really liked except for the religious sentiments that were added and she wouldn't buy a set that included those sentiments.

No different than me waffling back and forth on whether I really want to choose the Bliss set from the SAB catalog because even though I love the flourish that comes with it, in what alternate universe am I ever going to have a suitable occasion to use the word "Bliss"? And the set would be free, so what do I care that I won't use one of the stamps? But it still irks me

Shopping at Hobby Lobby - I don't care if they play religious music (although I've never noticed that at the ones I've been to), and I actually admire a company that is committed enough to their Christian values that they are not open on what would probably be a pretty profitable day for them. As long as the workers aren't sprinkling me with holy water and following behind me praying loudly for my eternal soul, no big deal.

And Oney, you can send me all your red m&m's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I'm glad that there are so many companies out there where everyone can find what they like. I am a Christian, and I believe everyone has a right to their own beliefs. God gave us free will. I hope your family members did not turn you against Christianity. I have noticed a real anti-Christian atmosphere in the past few years, and I hope it doesn't affect what I can or cannot purchase, as I have the right to purchase what I love also. There are a lot of legalistic types of people that have turned many against Christianity and that saddens me. I think it is better to be a good example of what a Christian is (as it sounds like your husband does) than to try to force my beliefs on others. That being said, I do not believe that I have to be "tolerant" of other's beliefs, if they are not tolerant of mine. I was really pleased with CTMH's Christmas stamps this past winter. I bought two Nativity sets, and loved the Christian sentiments also. I did notice on some of the sets there was a mixture of religious and non-religious sentiments and that made for a good mix.
I did want to say though, that I understand how unpleasant experiences with family or others can sour a person against certain things. There are even certain songs I cannot stand to hear, because they make me sad, reminding me of difficult times in life. And there are certain people I do not wish to be around, because they are unpleasant and bring negativity with them. That being said, I hope noone has soured you against having a relationship with Christ. I cannot stand to hear people say that if you don't go to church, you'll go to h*** or if you don't get baptized, you'll go to ***, etc... Those types of statements not only are not true, but they turn many people away from Christianity. I have been around hypocrits at church also, and it helps me to remember that the only one on this Earth who was never a sinner was Christ. And we do not get to heaven through our own works. If that were the case, none of us could make it. Please don't let the legalists and hypocrits get you down! You have your own spirtual journey. There was a time in my life when I was younger, that I felt very similar to what you are feeling. We all have to find our own way.
Spoken like a true Lutheran (whether you are one or not)! Ask me how I know...

And if you're not, I still second what you said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow...I was never attacking christrians in my rant...In my orginal posting I was ranting over stamp sets having a couple religious verses along with regular verses. I hate to spend money on things I will never use on a stamp. To the person that says becasue I don't have a gallery I am not into making cards all that much, you are very wrong...Iove to stamp and make cards and even scrapbook alittle I come to SCS for the forum and to check out the gallery some..I am not a good picture taker nor do I have a desire at this time to learn PSP to make my pictures of my cards look better- so I don't bother with uploading them to a gallery. I play in my craft room daily and love my hobby.I am very sorry I upset so many people that was never my intention and for this I apolized.

One really good suggestion was to see if someone would be willing to split the stamp set I really want.

sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I went back and re-read the original post - she never said anything about boycotting any company because they made religious stamps, she was venting her frustration that several companies had sets she really liked except for the religious sentiments that were added and she wouldn't buy a set that included those sentiments.

No different than me waffling back and forth on whether I really want to choose the Bliss set from the SAB catalog because even though I love the flourish that comes with it, in what alternate universe am I ever going to have a suitable occasion to use the word "Bliss"? And the set would be free, so what do I care that I won't use one of the stamps? But it still irks me

Shopping at Hobby Lobby - I don't care if they play religious music (although I've never noticed that at the ones I've been to), and I actually admire a company that is committed enough to their Christian values that they are not open on what would probably be a pretty profitable day for them. As long as the workers aren't sprinkling me with holy water and following behind me praying loudly for my eternal soul, no big deal.

I thought the same thing about the Bliss set... But I've actually used the stamp now! For a workshop I made treat bags and put a chocolate bar inside and stamped that on top since I figured it was one of the few places where "Bliss" fit! I felt like I had accomplished something by actually USING a stamp I thought I never would. LOL

Re: Hobby Lobby - I don't think the ones I've been to play any music, or if they do I can't hear it. I actually hate any music in stores, mostly because the only time I notice it is during the holidays when it's the same songs in every store over and over and over...

And I'm sorry if I took what the OP said wrong, where she said "time to look for other companies" is what made me assume that she wouldn't be buying from the companies with mixed sentiment sets anymore. My mistake. At any rate, you will definitely find people who want the stamps you don't want. I know lots of people who love the little girl "Princess" type stamps that I loathe. :-) Wouldn't this site be boring if we all only liked the same things?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
I thought the same thing about the Bliss set... But I've actually used the stamp now! For a workshop I made treat bags and put a chocolate bar inside and stamped that on top since I figured it was one of the few places where "Bliss" fit! I felt like I had accomplished something by actually USING a stamp I thought I never would. LOL

At any rate, you will definitely find people who want the stamps you don't want. I know lots of people who love the little girl "Princess" type stamps that I loathe. :-) Wouldn't this site be boring if we all only liked the same things?
Chocolate - that is true Bliss! You're right

And the princess-type stamps reminds me of the very first Stampin' Up party I attended. It was when they first started selling scrapbooking-type stuff - they had a separate catalog for it, and a friend who had been stamping for some time decided to have a scrapbooking party and invited me. The demonstrater had us make this very lovely pale pink & lavender girly page with the title "Princess". I was the only lady at the party who had any children (and mine is a son) - as a matter of fact, I don't think any of the others were even married (ok, most of them were lesbian couples.) They wanted tips & ideas for pages they could do of the trips they had taken together, etc. The SU! demo was someone they had parties with before; she knew the group, so she should have had an idea that the "Princess" page was maybe not the best idea for that group
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
Wow...I was never attacking christrians in my rant...
It was probably the use of the word "normal" to describe non-Christians that got people upset. That implied that Christians are not normal.

Next time, choose your words more carefully.

(I'm not Christian, but I'm not normal, either.)

Back to your original point: I don't use Christian stamps nor do I use any references to "prayers" or "heaven" in my sympathy cards, but I have no trouble finding lots of stamps I like. Perhaps you should branch out and find other stamp companies.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

In an ideal world all stamps would be sold separately and we can purchase a la carte. I think the real issue here is that there are one or two stamps in a set that you really want and the other 4 or 5 you don't. In this case it just happens to have a religious bent to it. This is something that has caused me great angst from the very beginning. I must choose to spend the money to get the one or two stamps that I want and get the others with it, that I'll never use, or not. I choose not, because then what I have in the end is a very expensive single stamp.

Give me a whole set of pretty images separately and a whole set of theme specific or mixed sentiments, and I'd be a hundred times more likely to buy.

That being said, this is only my view, and I have to agree with previous comments that if it's selling, then the stamp companies have no reason to change their business model.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

I guess the fact that I'm a Christian keeps me from being offended at your post! And I'm not a Bible thumper. THAT is no way to treat the Word! The best part of free choice is that you don't have to buy a stamp that acknowledges God in any way. Just be grateful that we live in a country that you have the choice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #69  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
Being a Christian doesn't make me not "normal folks", nor do I consider myself a "bible-thumper". In fact, I take offense to that last term.

That being said, others have brought up good suggestions:

1. Instead of throwing the unwanted stamps away, donate them to your fellow crafters who will get use out of them.
2. Write to the company and ask if they can start creating "religion" or "non-religion" specific sets.
3. Don't patronize companies that don't sell the types of stamps you want. If enough people did that, the companies would take notice. We speak loudest with our wallets.

Perhaps invest in a stamp making machine. Not sure what your budget allows, but with a good machine, you can make whatever sentiments and/or images you like. Can't get any more custom than that.

In sincerity, I do hope that you'll find a company that meets your needs. It can't be fun to be discontent when you want to get creative. I'll pray that you find contentment.

Can you recommend a good machine? I'd love to be able to make my own quality stamps.:grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to agree with the thought of not spending money with a company that doesn't provide the types of stamps that you like. There are plenty of others that probably do. I have another suggestion for you though. I assume you have access to a computer, since you started this thread. Create a word document, choose the sentiment that you want to use and print it out on your cardstock. That way you won't have to spend a dime on a sentiment you don't care for. Here's a great tutorial on doing just that. Hope this helps.
Not offended either.

My Gallery
My New Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
One really good suggestion was to see if someone would be willing to split the stamp set I really want.

sheena

Pick me! Pick me! I'll buy the Scripture/verses from ya.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #73  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thonzView Post
I have to agree with the thought of not spending money with a company that doesn't provide the types of stamps that you like. There are plenty of others that probably do. I have another suggestion for you though. I assume you have access to a computer, since you started this thread. Create a word document, choose the sentiment that you want to use and print it out on your cardstock. That way you won't have to spend a dime on a sentiment you don't care for. Here's a great tutorial on doing just that. Hope this helps.
Not offended either.
Thank you! That was a great tutorial and even though I use MS Word a LOT, I never did it that way before. It makes it much easier. I love it when I learn something new!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #74  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Karen - here are a couple I've found that I really like:

Quietfire Design - Perhaps they are not stars

River City Rubber Works: Eskimo Folklore, Wood Mounted Rubber Stamp

River City Rubber Works: May You Find Comfort, Wood Mounted Rubber Stamp

Not religious, but still appropriate. (The ones from River City Rubberworks are also available unmounted)
Thanks for the info! I've blown my crafting budget for this Month, but I'll keep this in mind. I reallly like the "May You Find Comfort" stamp.

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #75  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Funny you mention that....I was in HB the other day (I know it is founded by a religious man~doesn't bother me) & it is the FIRST time I actually noticed christian music playing. I am by no means christian but it didn't bother me at all.
I am one of the people who won't buy a set if there is a religious quote in it. That's just me. I won't buy a set that has "friend" in it either....or Happy Holidays....
I think as a whole there are many of us who will choose a stamp set or not choose a set because of an image/quote or whatever. That's our choice.
just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

To the OP - one of the things that first attracted me to Clear Dollar Stamps was that although the owner is religious she makes her stamp sets generic and then you can also purchase a related religious set. Her site really is worth checking out. I think the majority of my stamp collection is CDS and I have no link except as a happy customer. I like the complimentary sets and I think I would purchase more from other companies if they made their sets more like CDS does.

Sympathy Stamps - I know this set is on my wish list ATM and thought I would share - Stampendous Perfectly Clear™ Stamps � Sentiments � Sincere Sentiments Perfectly Clear™ Stamps

Oney if you are allergic to the red M&Ms your kids might be too - the red food coloring is a known trigger for many kids with hyperactivity type issues.

As for Hobby Lobby, I wouldn't have known that my nearest one was "Christian" if I hadn't been told and/or seen the Sunday notice (can't remember which one I knew first TBH). They are a bit low on the variety of stamps but otherwise they are good all around craft and home decor shop - its lethal to take my Husband in there he always spends more than I do.:rolleyes: Oh and you can "shop" there on Sundays, it just has to be online. ;)

BTW I don't write off any stamp company I used to LOVE Hero Arts then I went off them and now the current stuff I'm in LOVE again! LOL

Last edited by RiverIsis; 03-24-2011 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #77  
Inking Addict

Great idea about printing our own sentiments out on cardstock! I bought the stamp maker thinking this would be perfect so I could get exactly what I wanted, without the wasted cost of the entire set that i wouldn't use. Well, the joke is on me! It's expensive to keep those little imagepacs in stock (don't forget the shipping costs!!) It's like a bad gift that keeps on giving! I have made too many mistakes and it's getting rather costly. I just use my printer and go from there.

Great fonts and graphics at letteringdelights.com. FREE!!

Love the idea of trading stamps too! I have 3 that say "Happy Christmas!" In America, we generally say, "Merry Christmas" so these aren't good for me. Anyone across the pond want some?? They are yours for the asking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #78  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneyView Post
Pick me! Pick me! I'll buy the Scripture/verses from ya.
I'd be most happy to "arm wrestle" or whatever Oney for a chance at the scripture/verses stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #79  
ch
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=meeyore151;18110919]I thought the same thing about the Bliss set... But I've actually used the stamp now! For a workshop I made treat bags and put a chocolate bar inside and stamped that on top since I figured it was one of the few places where "Bliss" fit! I felt like I had accomplished something by actually USING a stamp I thought I never would. LOL

Great idea! I wondered what I would ever do with 'bliss'. Now I know. I still don't know what to do with 'live with passion' but it didn't stop me from purchasing the stamp set. Just another, 'what were they thinking of' moment!
Have a happy day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by chView Post
Great idea! I wondered what I would ever do with 'bliss'. Now I know. I still don't know what to do with 'live with passion' but it didn't stop me from purchasing the stamp set. Just another, 'what were they thinking of' moment!
Have a happy day!
I have that set too! But that stamp has never seen ink and I have zero ideas for it. If you come up with anything let me know!
Reply With Quote Likes