Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation rant: christian verses on so many stamps

I hate that so many of my favorite companies to order stamps from seem to always have several christian verses on the sets I want. I am not saying I am anti-christian but I just wish they would put together sets that were all christian and then sets that are for normal folks. I have alot of bible-thumpers in the family I could use these sets on but I refuse to do that. I have come across several sets that I really want but can't and won't spend money on christian verses or sets including words like God and Heaven becasue not everyone believes....

Feel free to say whatever you want...it won't bother me, everyone has a right to believe what they choose to believe, and my husband is a believer where I believe only in a higher power. I am just sad that I have to start looking at other stamp companies becasue of this, especially when 2 particular stamp companies I love but can't take all the god this or that in my verses, it ends up being a waste to just throw good/new stamps becasue I refuse to use them. So off to find new companies to deal with.

Sheena
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

What a nice gesture it would be in this tough economy to give your unwanted stamps (of any kind) to someone who would love them instead of throwing them away...

Just a thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I am really sorry that this has caused problems when buying stamps, for you. I am actually on the other side of the coin, trying to find stamp sets with verses Have you considered buying the sets but taking out the verses and selling the single verse(s) here in SCS? I'm sure there are some, like me, that are looking for some.

By the way, I'm a "Bible Thumper" and I still like you, and I'm not offended
I hope this idea helped somewhat

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
I hate that so many of my favorite companies to order stamps from seem to always have several christian verses on the sets I want. I am not saying I am anti-christian but I just wish they would put together sets that were all christian and then sets that are for normal folks. I have alot of bible-thumpers in the family I could use these sets on but I refuse to do that. I have come across several sets that I really want but can't and won't spend money on christian verses or sets including words like God and Heaven becasue not everyone believes....

Feel free to say whatever you want...it won't bother me, everyone has a right to believe what they choose to believe, and my husband is a believer where I believe only in a higher power. I am just sad that I have to start looking at other stamp companies becasue of this, especially when 2 particular stamp companies I love but can't take all the god this or that in my verses, it ends up being a waste to just throw good/new stamps becasue I refuse to use them. So off to find new companies to deal with.

Sheena

Does that mean Christians are not "normal"? Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

I just wish they would put together sets that were all christian and then sets that are for normal folks
Just a thought...
But if you believe in the polling statistics from the Gallup organization (not a Christian organization by the way), then with 243,186,000 Christians, the United States has the largest Christian population on earth. And, since they are in the business of making money, perhaps the stamp companies are making sets that are most likely to sell in volume.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I Love all my family and friends reguardless of religious beliefs be it christrian or pagan, or like me and believe in powers that be/higher power. I married my husband who reads the bible everyday but he doesn't force his beliefs onto me. I am not attempting to offend...everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe. I even love the true Bible Thumbers..but in my family bible thumpers are refering to my wonderful religious family that never lives up to the same standard they seem to expect from everyone else and verbally put anyone that doesn't believe exactly as them down- they seem to think they walk on water while see I know I am not perfect, I don't walk on water and never plan on being perfect, LOL> I am not saying your that way but when I refer to bible thumpers its those types of christians I am refering too not normal church goers.
Sheena

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
I am really sorry that this has caused problems when buying stamps, for you. I am actually on the other side of the coin, trying to find stamp sets with verses Have you considered buying the sets but taking out the verses and selling the single verse(s) here in SCS? I'm sure there are some, like me, that are looking for some.

By the way, I'm a "Bible Thumper" and I still like you, and I'm not offended
I hope this idea helped somewhat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melody FetteView Post
Does that mean Christians are not "normal"? Hmmm.
I said my husband is Christian and I think he is normal most of the time. I just wish companies would realize thier are people that get truly offended with religious views being shoved in our face when we are trying to spend money to support thier small stamp companies that all. these companies could esily set up sets all religious and sets unreligious ...but hey...its thier company , that is why I will start looking for new ones to deal with. I have nothing against Christians, or I would had never married one...but I find it offensive to push beliefs.
Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I said my husband is Christian and I think he is normal most of the time. I just wish companies would realize thier are people that get truly offended with religious views being shoved in our face when we are trying to spend money to support thier small stamp companies that all. these companies could esily set up sets all religious and sets unreligious ...but hey...its thier company , that is why I will start looking for new ones to deal with. I have nothing against Christians, or I would had never married one...but I find it offensive to push beliefs.
Sheena
Not to turn this into a battle or anything. I am a Christian, but if I wasn't, I don't think that a store selling something that they believe in, is pushing someone's beliefs. There are a lot of Christians who like to use God's word in their art and it's an absolute shame that we have such a hard time finding it. If a person chooses to shop at a store where they sell scriptural items along with other things, I would suggest the individual not complain about what they offer, because they don't have to shop there. They choose to so, they can either accept it or move on.
Just like if there's a store that sells things that are not my style or what I believe in, I don't shop there and if I absolutely have to, I don't complain about what they should or shouldn't have. I go in get what I need, say a prayer for the people while I'm in there and move on.

Last edited by Cass2sons; 03-23-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I won't buy stamp sets with very religious sentiments in them either. If companies want to market their stamps sets to only those that hold certain religious beliefs, that's their prerogative. However, if they want to expand their market, considering offering sets that are more generic in functionality and more attractive to those not wanting religious sentiments would be something to consider.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I look at it this way, companies produce what will sell. If it didn't sell, they likely wouldn't be in business. Clearly many people like religious verses/references and they deserve to have those products available to them just as you deserve to have non-religious stamp sets available to you. I don't see it as a company pushing their beliefs on others; you aren't being forced to use their products. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

Personally, I'm not a religious person and I won't typically use a bible verse, so I simply don't buy sets that contain them. For instance, I love Clear Dollar Stamps and they are definitely a Christian company. They release a bible verse stamp just about every month and they also release a lot of Christian-based stamp sets. They also release a lot of other stamp sets. It isn't a big deal for me, if it isn't something I'll use, I simply don't buy it.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also in the same boat as you. I'm not a religious person, that's just the way I am. And I don't want to use religious stamps because if I send a RAK I don't know the religious views of the person on the receiving end- and it might offend that person.

I just steer clear of those sets. Which is a shame, but on the plus-side, it has helped me save $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #12  
NwP
Kookie Creator

I am not religious and also don't buy religious sentiment stamps. I got a set of Wordsworth stamps that have five sentiments with two of them overtly religious (there were also two image stamps which I just loved). I debated for a very long time buying this stamp set.

Would people really want to buy just two clear stamps out of a set?

It seems to me that a lot of people who want religious sentiments would be happy to find a set with all religious sentiments, while people like myself would be just as happy to find a set with no religious sentiments. It's too bad this is so hard to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

If being a Christian is being abnormal then I'm proud to be abnormal ( sticks & stones......) I don't see where a stamp set that has Christian verse in it is pushing beliefs. It is every consumers choice to buy or not to buy. I wish I could find all those sets you are referring to because I feel there are a lack of spiritual verses in stamps. Why not swap with people the wording stamps you have that you do not want for wording stamps that are acceptable to you? After reading what you've written, I can't help wondering if it's the stamp sets that are really your issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stauntonstamperView Post
If being a Christian is being abnormal then I'm proud to be abnormal ( sticks & stones......) I don't see where a stamp set that has Christian verse in it is pushing beliefs. It is every consumers choice to buy or not to buy. I wish I could find all those sets you are referring to because I feel there are a lack of spiritual verses in stamps. Why not swap with people the wording stamps you have that you do not want for wording stamps that are acceptable to you? After reading what you've written, I can't help wondering if it's the stamp sets that are really your issue.
Very well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think that is a major flaw, when buying sets. We aren't going to like every stamp in the set, alot of the time. Supposedly the sets are a better deal, but if you only like half the stamps, it doubles the prices on the ones you do like. You might go in with someone who does want the bible verses while you could claim the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I Love all my family and friends reguardless of religious beliefs be it christrian or pagan, or like me and believe in powers that be/higher power. I married my husband who reads the bible everyday but he doesn't force his beliefs onto me. I am not attempting to offend...everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe. I even love the true Bible Thumbers..but in my family bible thumpers are refering to my wonderful religious family that never lives up to the same standard they seem to expect from everyone else and verbally put anyone that doesn't believe exactly as them down- they seem to think they walk on water while see I know I am not perfect, I don't walk on water and never plan on being perfect, LOL> I am not saying your that way but when I refer to bible thumpers its those types of christians I am refering too not normal church goers.
Sheena

I am sorry your family is being pushy and being un-loving in Christ. As you know from your husband, that is not how it should be. He is the better example of how we should all behave. Speaking from my own personal experience, it can be hard to live up to the title as Christian. We are human and make mistakes too, please forgive us, as perfect we are not

I did find some nice stamps that are "spiritual" but not religious stamps from Quietfire Designs, if you were looking for stamps like that. I just placed my first order last night. Check them out, maybe you will like their designs. Let me know if it fits your needs better

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

On a slightly different note, I find many sets have the word "friend", and I don't use that word on my cards. I've passed up some sets because of that. However, there seem to be many other sets that claim my money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm another who doesn't use religious sentiments - but I'm a wimp and sometimes will buy a set because I love the other images so much.

And when I manage to find a sympathy sentiment that isn't overtly religious, I am all over it like white on rice. Those are especially hard to find.

My theory is if the owner of a company has strong beliefs and wants to show those beliefs thru the products they offer, that is their prerogative. It's mine to not buy those products if I won't use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #19  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NwPView Post
I am not religious and also don't buy religious sentiment stamps. I got a set of Wordsworth stamps that have five sentiments with two of them overtly religious (there were also two image stamps which I just loved). I debated for a very long time buying this stamp set.

Would people really want to buy just two clear stamps out of a set?
It seems to me that a lot of people who want religious sentiments would be happy to find a set with all religious sentiments, while people like myself would be just as happy to find a set with no religious sentiments. It's too bad this is so hard to find.
Quite possibly! I see people splitting up sets on the PTI forum all the time when they just want one or two.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

This post surprises me. It seems we all have stamps sets that we don't like. Some of us think there are too many flowery sets, some that there are not enough religious sentiments, some that there are no manly sets, etc. Personally, for me, I wish I could find more Jesus related Christmas stamps. Everything is about Santa or more generic Christmas. I wouldn't be so offended that companies choose to make stamps you wouldn't use. It happens to all of us. Buy the ones you like and if you can't find what you like, write to a company and make a request.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplescrapperView Post
This post surprises me. It seems we all have stamps sets that we don't like. Some of us think there are too many flowery sets, some that there are not enough religious sentiments, some that there are no manly sets, etc. Personally, for me, I wish I could find more Jesus related Christmas stamps. Everything is about Santa or more generic Christmas. I wouldn't be so offended that companies choose to make stamps you wouldn't use. It happens to all of us. Buy the ones you like and if you can't find what you like, write to a company and make a request.
I think the OP issue is more that there are sets that combine both religious and non-religious sentiments/images into one set, I don't think it is about the fact that companies make sets that we don't use or don't appeal to us.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplescrapperView Post
This is actually a very good idea! I should have remembered this suggestion, since I have just requested my favorite company Flourishes to consider making one stamp set of Bible verses to use for any occasion. They have many great sentiments but not many verses. Julie, the Design Team co-ordinator said they would consider it. But your right, Purplescrapper, it doesn't hurt to ask. Many online "Mom & Pop" sites would probably accomodate these kinds of requests Good idea and good point

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
I think the OP issue is more that there are sets that combine both religious and non-religious sentiments/images into one set, I don't think it is about the fact that companies make sets that we don't use or don't appeal to us.
I agree with you here. Why not make separate sets for each "theme"? That I don't understand either.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
I'm not sure how to say this right... I don't think what Purplescrapper said is any different. Just because someone is religious (such as myself) does not mean that all of our cards will involve a religious sentiment. While many of my friends are religious, many of my friends and family are not. Sets that combine both types of sentiments are far more useful to me than ones that are strictly "either/or". I use and enjoy both. Instead of the OP being the one venting and unhappy it would be me, because I WANT both in a set. No company can make every person happy. The idea of not purchasing anything from a company that has sets that put religious and non-religious sentiments together is no different than me deciding that a company that puts the word "Princess" in sets about little girls will no longer get any of my business. I just don't buy those sets, or give away the offending stamps. Someone else will always enjoy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
I'm not sure how to say this right... I don't think what Purplescrapper said is any different. Just because someone is religious (such as myself) does not mean that all of our cards will involve a religious sentiment. While many of my friends are religious, many of my friends and family are not. Sets that combine both types of sentiments are far more useful to me than ones that are strictly "either/or". I use and enjoy both. Instead of the OP being the one venting and unhappy it would be me, because I WANT both in a set. No company can make every person happy. The idea of not purchasing anything from a company that has sets that put religious and non-religious sentiments together is no different than me deciding that a company that puts the word "Princess" in sets about little girls will no longer get any of my business. I just don't buy those sets, or give away the offending stamps. Someone else will always enjoy them.
I was just clarifying what the OP was saying, because I took Purplescrapper's post as meaning she thought the OP was upset because a company sells religious stamps in general, which isn't the case.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't use religious stamps very often, I do have a few specialty sets for those people that I make cards for that ARE very religious. I use alot of discretion when I use a religious symbol and/or verse. The same way I use alot of discretion before using any military or political themed stamp. Before I give a card to someone using any of the above stamps I have to know them well enough to know that any reference to religion/military/politics will not offend.

Having said that - this is exactly the reason I will NOT shop at Hobby Lobby. I have no desire to have to wind my way around crucifixes and listen to "The Old Rugged Cross" being piped over the speaker system. I find it insensitive, intrusive and entirely unnecessary. So instead of writing hate mail to the company, I simply don't go there. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #27  
Sassy Shani

Preach it, Sistah! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyJView Post
On a slightly different note, I find many sets have the word "friend", and I don't use that word on my cards. I've passed up some sets because of that. However, there seem to be many other sets that claim my money!
I completely agree! I feel like the most friendless person on the planet, but I just never use the "friend" sentiments and it drives me nuts because they are everywhere.

I am not religious, so I do understand where the OP is coming from. I have a hard time finding a sympathy set that isn't overly religious, because honestly I won't be praying for you. But I do think that it is certain companies in particular. My two fave, SU and Unity, I don't find that either of them have an abundance of religious verses, so I think it may just be an issue of trying to find other companies that offer images the OP likes without the sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am a christian and I am normal

I find this issues with most stamp sets, religious or not. I have a set of bicycle stamps but I will never use the trike stamp. Wish I didn't have to buy it but couldn't break up the set.

And I still had a choice to buy the set or not.

I choose not to be offended by the trike.

It's all choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #30  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Being a Christian doesn't make me not "normal folks", nor do I consider myself a "bible-thumper". In fact, I take offense to that last term.

That being said, others have brought up good suggestions:

1. Instead of throwing the unwanted stamps away, donate them to your fellow crafters who will get use out of them.
2. Write to the company and ask if they can start creating "religion" or "non-religion" specific sets.
3. Don't patronize companies that don't sell the types of stamps you want. If enough people did that, the companies would take notice. We speak loudest with our wallets.

Perhaps invest in a stamp making machine. Not sure what your budget allows, but with a good machine, you can make whatever sentiments and/or images you like. Can't get any more custom than that.

In sincerity, I do hope that you'll find a company that meets your needs. It can't be fun to be discontent when you want to get creative. I'll pray that you find contentment.

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cass2sonsView Post
Not to turn this into a battle or anything. I am a Christian, but if I wasn't, I don't think that a store selling something that they believe in, is pushing someone's beliefs. There are a lot of Christians who like to use God's word in their art and it's an absolute shame that we have such a hard time finding it. If a person chooses to shop at a store where they sell scriptural items along with other things, I would suggest the individual not complain about what they offer, because they don't have to shop there. They choose to so, they can either accept it or move on.
Just like if there's a store that sells things that are not my style or what I believe in, I don't shop there and if I absolutely have to, I don't complain about what they should or shouldn't have. I go in get what I need, say a prayer for the people while I'm in there and move on.
Amen sistah!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

You can please some of the people all of the time.
And you can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Too much offense going around.

It's not worth the time or energy to get offended at a stamp company, a trike stamp, people's opinions of bible thumpers or people's anti-relegious opinions.

Just let it go...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #34  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovian7View Post
Too much offense going around.

It's not worth the time or energy to get offended at a stamp company, a trike stamp, people's opinions of bible thumpers or people's anti-relegious opinions.

Just let it go...

I'm offended by you not being offended. ;)

Your smiley, however, does not offend me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post

LOL

Seriously there are many great points an opinions going on in this thread, here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post

I call your unoffense and double it!

:lol:

I can't think of a comeback to the smiley comment..haha

I am possibily offended by my own misspelling..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Double LOL! This is getting silly :lol:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I'm another who doesn't use religious sentiments - but I'm a wimp and sometimes will buy a set because I love the other images so much.

And when I manage to find a sympathy sentiment that isn't overtly religious, I am all over it like white on rice. Those are especially hard to find.

My theory is if the owner of a company has strong beliefs and wants to show those beliefs thru the products they offer, that is their prerogative. It's mine to not buy those products if I won't use them.

I know what you mean. I've been looking lately. I work at a hospital and trying to make sympathy cards that don't speak of heaven, prayers, etc is very difficult. You have to be very generic, especially these days when folks are so easily offended.

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #39  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

LOL, I'm a teacher by trade, but restrained myself from putting my red pen all over the computer monitor. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am another Christian, believer, church goer..sometimes I wonder if I am normal or not...but the point for me is...I love Christian stamps. I love love love all the bible verses and just never get tired of buying them.
There are stamps out there for everyone...LOTS and LOTS of stamps...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes