Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions, Questions and More Questions!

Ok here is goes... I am a newbie :rolleyes: I have a few SU supplies that I bought at a rummage sale, that said I have to say that even buying these products use they are AWESOME!!!! I only got one black ink pad and 2 sets of stamps. After realizing these were SU products it got me wanting more. I finally got invited to a SU workshop this Sat. I borrowed a catalog and now I am OVERWHELMED :???: :???:

I have narrowed my Options down to a resonable list.......... ALL OF IT!!
But unfortunately I dont have ALL the $$$$ soooo my question is what would you all consider must haves. I DONT have an embossing gun or any powders.I do have tons of bazzill cardstock, although it wouldnt coordinate. Is that a problem??? Would you suggest getting the coordinating or using up what I have??

I thought it might help just to concentrate on getting Christmas Card supplies. I thought the Rich Regals were the most Christmasy????? open to suggestions??? I was considering getting the

1. Rich Regal 8 1/2x 11 cardstock (36 sheets variety pack)
2. Rich Regal classic stamp spots
3.Whisper White craft stampin pad ( for snowflakes?)
4. dazzling diamonds??? or embossing????
5. Crystal effects???
6. Of couse I will want at least one or two Christmas Stamp sets

Please let me know what you would suggest!!! the things I have questioned will only be IF I have the money I will not be able to get all I have listed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Julie, I just started stamping a year ago and it has been very intermittent.

I think your list is good. I would add a versamark pad - great for the watermark look and for using with embossing powders when you get them. I would also get blender pens to use with your inks for watercoloring.

One of the first things I bought was the Stampin Pastels (the chalks) and those are so versatile for coloring - you have all the colors! They work well dry or with blender pens.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

First of all welcome to the wonderful world of stamping. Watch out once you start you'll never want to go back. I agree rich regals are good for christmas. However, if you want to make multiples of cards to send to people then you might want to consider buying packs of a few colors in order to make lots of the same thing. Also you might want to consider whisper white cardstock it's the absolute best because it's ultrasmooth.
The spots are a good choice for starting with all the colors. It can help you figure out what colors you really like and might want in the larger pads. Just so you are aware the whisper white will take longer to dry than classic ink. It looks beautiful when it's done though. As for glitter vs. embossing it depends on the look you like and you're budget. Glitter is cheaper but it tends to go everywhere. Embossing is one of my personal faves but it does have a higher start up cost because you will want the heat gun. Just trust me a hairdryer won't do it.
Crystal effects is another cool product but for christmas cards I personally lean toward embossing. A suggestion for the stamp sets is to look through the galleries here and see what cards really catch your eye. Being able to copy is a great help when you are just starting to learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Oops one more suggestion if you end up getting the spots you might want to consider a blender pen. That way you can tap them on a plastic surface such as an aol cd and pick up the color and use it. It gives a really nice watercolor effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a Michael's, JoAnns, or Hobby Lobby near you? If so, you could buy a lot of your supplies (heat gun, inkpads, embossing powder) there using the 40-50% off coupons. (Hobby Lobby and Joann's have coupons that you can print out from their website to use in the actual stores.)

Hobby Lobby has their paper on sale... 8 sheets for $1.00. That's for the solid cardstock and the patterned stuff.

I can finally say that I can now walk into a craft store with a 50% off coupon and not buy a THING. I've been stamping for maybe 14 years and I seem to pretty much have all that I could ever NEED. (Wanting is another story.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Kimberly, some things are just as economical at the big chain stores. I do like SU for matching colors and the sets of stamps. I use Bazill textured CS all the time. You can match to some of the SU colors and I love the texture without any stamping. For smooth CS most stores don't match the quality of SU, so if it's the base card I like SU, but for layers I sometimes slip in inferior stuff (say it ain't so!!)
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

My suggestion, check how much you are ordering or considering ordering, if it is close to $150 you can go in as your own hostess, and get the hostess benefits, the free stamp set and the $15 in free products. I am sure that you want to help whoever is having the party, but if you are close to 150 it is better to watch out for yourself. Hopefully no one flames me for this. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 06:57 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink

:p I really need a website for the inside sayings for my cards.....anyone out there got any?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Smile

I understand exactly how overwhelmed you must have been as you looked through the catalog. That's exactly how I felt the first time I went to a Stampin' Up! event and then flipped through the many pages of the Idea Book & Catalog. I immediately decided to sign up as a demonstrator just to get the discount because I knew I'd be buying lots! Now my favorite section of the catalog is the accessories section.

I think Stampin' Up! has put together a wonderful selection of "must have" stamping products in their starter kit. If I were you I'd look at the back page of the Idea Book to see what Stampin' Up! has decided are "must have" items and buy some of those items. Better yet, why not just buy the starter kit which is a great price, and then if you still want to get more you will be able to purchase additional items at a discount? That's how I got started.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I too am a rookie stamper. From reading the other posts, it appears that you've gotten some great tips from the vets. I know from my brief experience, that I use the large black ink pad, versamark pad, embossing powders - mainly the metallic ones and love the chalks with blender pens. I have the all of the spots, but rarely use them. Guess I need to broaden my stampin' range lol!! The heat gun can be purchased at M's or J's etc... but stick with the SU embossing powders and of course their CS is really nice. Good Luck & Have Fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I started the exact same way! I bought a bunch of stampin' up things at a garage sale and I haven't been the same since. I've been staming 3-4 yrs now and love it!!! Be sure and find a demo that will help you determine the items you will need. On page 12 of the new catalog there is create your own custom kit. This would be helpful, and you can add accessories as you want. If you want to make christmas card, I suggest you make them all the same so you can do an assembly line, and it will be the most economic.

My friends and I found a demo that would do monthly classes for us as a group and we take turns being hostess. It might be helpful to find someone like that. I was able to stamp every month and so each hostess got the benifit we had to order a set amount so she could reach $150.00. We only had to order 18.00+ dollars. Also It a slow but steady way to increase your stock.

Happy Stampin'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Julie -

Welcome! You will love it.

As a demo, I'm biased to SU!, but there are a few things I really think are "must-haves" for all beginning stampers:

INKS - black is a must and 2 or 3 colors

PAPER - get an assorted pack to match your inks and of course, white or vanilla

Stampin' Up's! Stampin Scrub & Mist - this is an absolute necessity in my book to clean your stamps with. I tell this to every single customer and they always call after and say "you were so right!"

Stamps - of course!

Adhesive - You need something to adhere with!

That's all you really NEED to stamp. The rest is just fun!!! I think a cutter is always a great purchase, as area great pair of scissors!

Good luck and have so much fun at your workshop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

you definitely need dazzling diamonds!!!

one of my favorite things about demostrating is finding my husband accidentally glittery!
your might to all who are to come...Psalm71:18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Here's my must have list:
Versamark pad & marker
Paper Snips
Craft & Rubber Scissors
Stampin Scrub & Stampin Mist
Grid Paper
Eyelets
Crop-A-Dile
Brads
Ribbon
SU Crystal Effects or CTMH Liquid Glass
My all time favorite cards stock is SU Confetti White love this stuff and wish that SU sold it in bigger packs
For solid core card stock I only use SU and the rare occasions when I'm wanting a white core I use CTMH
Adhesives, Tombow is my favorite
I'm a big fad of the full size ink pads but there is so much you can do with spots so I have some of both. Just start with the colors you really like and buy inkers at the same time as you buy your pads there are a ton of things yo can do with inkers
If you are having trouble deciding what colors to start with the new SU In Colors are a great choice!
A few puches are great to have, Tag, Double Rectangle (awesome to use for weaving ribbon!) 1 1/4 circle punch, Spring Bouquet Flower, and the new Designer Label Punch Box are my favorites. I would say of all the above the Tag is a must have.
Hodpodge hardware is a great value to get a variety of emblishments also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

seriously though... I've had a number of ladies buy the stamping spots and be happy that they went that route
your list sounds great

my other suggestions are
regals paper pack AND white or vanilla ( if your going to stick with your own card stock, just get the white or vanilla beacuse of the quality of the SU cardstock... it's made especially with stamping in mind... your images won't bleed like it can on some papers... test it first if you do try other papers. i bet bazzill is fine.

black pad

stamp sets

Walmart has great invitation sized envelopes (white only)
Walmart also has something called "duck" tape in little red dispensers in the school supplies isle which is a cheaper route to go as far as adhesive. (There's something call an ATG that's even more cost effective in the long run... you'll be able to find a SCS thread somewhere if you're interest in it... I don't know much about it yet)

even though I'm a demo i would rather you spend more money on stamp sets than fewer sets but accessories that are easily available elsewhere.

people suggest using baby wipes to clean stamps ... I used an old damp terry cloth wash cloth when I first started, it works well too.

I love blender pens
crystal effects is great icing too...
(versamark is great too but it also opens a whole new can of stamping worms... pastels.... embossing .. crazy techniques!...look out!)

HTH! Happy Fall Friday Everyone!!!
your might to all who are to come...Psalm71:18
Reply With Quote Likes