Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question regarding being a designer for a stamp company

Hopefully it is ok to ask in this forum.

I have a question in regards to being a designer for a stamp company. I responded to a call for designers and then found out that there was a cost involved to pay for needed courses on their product. I cannot afford a cost of over 100.00 for this, and have sent a professional email stating that I am not able to do so. Is this customary?

What I was looking for is a chance to improve my stamping skills and designing, with an option to buy stamps at a reduced cost ( or in a perfect world, get free products. :smile and also create a blog and feature them. I understand having the blog to promote the product. I understand that marketing aspect.

Perhaps I am totally confused about the whole situation and this is how stamp designing for a company works. Can someone enlighten me ?

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Well it’s a long time since I was on a DT so I guess things might have changed but I wouldn’t expect there to be that kind of cost or requirement. As I see it, a company is essentially hiring you to help promote their product - the payment they make to you is usually in the form of free or reduced price product. I’d expect them to select team members as they would select any employee, by looking at what you’re capable of doing (generally by sending pictures of samples of your work in the case of a DT application).

There is always a cost that goes along with the free stuff of course - you’re likely to be supplying your own cardstock, adhesive, embellishments etc. If you’d be making cards anyway, it’s no big deal but it’s something to be aware of.

In your shoes, I think I’d move along and look out for more DT calls that might suit you, read any blurb they put out about expectations/commitments on both sides and then put your best foot forward if it still looks appealing.

Good luck!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you Joanne, I agree and I would expect to be purchasing their stamps and products, plus as you said use my other needed materials.

Thank you for your advice.

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2020, 04:36 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

Wow! That sounds like a big scam to me. I'd walk away and never look back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2020, 05:22 AM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

That sounds more like an application to be an instructor, not a designer. That sounds like a certification program for official instructors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2020, 04:10 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lydia, upon second look, YOU ARE RIGHT! I am a schmutz, I am using the incorrect nomenclature. It is for certification. These classes are over a 100.00 sometimes?
So from what I understand, one pays for classes, passes a test or tests depending upon the company's requirements then is able to basically give classes and state they are "acme company" certified? ok, I guess I just wanted to pay much less than 100.00 and not teach classes, but to get the opp to try new products at a reduced rate and most of all greatly improve my skills.
I still have a question though, do most companies have a selection process even for the certification classes? I would think you take anyone who could pay the fee?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Well spotted Lydia! Certification is a whole different ball game than DT membership.

I don’t know the answer to your selection question bgpunky but it does strike me that for somebody who doesn’t want to teach classes, paying for certification would mean buying a heck of a lot of product at reduced rate to make up that $100! There are lots of options out there for improving your skills in all kinds of areas. If you can tell use what you’re interested in I bet collectively we can suggest low (or even zero) cost options for you.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you all, I really appreciate your candidness. I hope I don't sound greedy by thinking I would have received products for a discount. I love to try new items and techniques. I would not have minded teaching classes, but only online and free, like many do on Youtube; however, I am so not photogenic. lol

I have learned so much by this experience though, and thank you again ladies.

Joanne, I am taking an online class of sketching and color pencil techniques that should carry over to my stamping. I subscribe to a few people on youtube for techniques. I just need soooo much help with my card techniques, as you can tell. Is their a designer/demonstrator/teacher you recommend ?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

there are umpteen free tutorials right in this site... you can find the place to start your search for what you want to learn here:
Splitcoaststampers Tutorials - DIY Card making ideas

as far as paid in depth a little more info classes I have paid for some here at online card classes.

Home - Online Card Classes

hth

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I’d second Stacy’s suggestion of having a look at the tutorials here for a wide range of ideas. Our own Dini often produces tutorials that focus on techniques that have a wide application and you’ll find loads of others, too.

For marker and pencil colouring, Alyce at Kit and Clowder does lovely work and her classes are very well put together. She talks about art fundamentals and breaks things down in to very manageable steps. There are some free classes so you can see whether her approach would suit you without any cost up front, worth having a nose around her site: Kit and Clowder Online Coloring Classes for Markers, Copic, Pencils (direct link to free classes page: https://www.kitandclowder.com/markers101)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes