Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for hobby demos

I have no idea where to put this thread so I figured I would stick it here. I am speaking mostly to hobby demos who attend convention. Is it worth it? I have no business and never intend to actually sell. I tried it once and really didnt care for it. I would like to attend convention but not sure of the cost of flying from the east cost-convention itself plus hotel and food is worth it for someone who might not get anything out of it! I know the thrill of swapping (which I dont do and after reading some of the threads dont think i would ever even consider doing!!) It sounds like a alot of the stuff is classes and then awards. Not to say I am not interested in awards but honestly dont think I would sit to watch it. I would love to do make and takes and learn different techniques. Ok so give it to me--the pro's and cons for a strictly hobby demo!! Next year sounds like it could be amazing being the 20th but I want to make sure it would be the right decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

If you enjoy being with alot of people and meeting new friends then yes, it is worth it for that! There are usually give-aways, but you never know if you'll win that. They have also been giving out stamp sets there. We used to be able to buy them at a discount, but now you just GET your own set to use at the make n takes! Sample boards are worth it if you are able to get good photos for inspiration, the chance to try new things that you may not have wanted or thought about getting. (Going to convention could change your mind about that item!)

It is quite expensive if you don't plan to get anything business wise from it, but it all depends on what you can afford and what your time is worth.

Rooming with other demos can help keep the accommodations cost down, and if you don't eat out at expensive restaurants every night/go for entertainment, etc, then that may help too.

I loved just watching the excitement of it all once my swaps were all traded.

Good luck with your decision! I'm thinking about going next year also! I have not been in 3 years now....so we'll see!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not sure if being a Hobby Demo it would really be worth the expense. I budgeted $1000 for Hotel and meals, but that didn't inlude the Registration Fee or the shuttle from the Airport. I would love to go back next year but would increase my budget. I love the sample walls and got lots of picures, bought the CD, learned a bunch in the classes and enjoyed the M&T's. It is exciting to see all the other demos and to be a part of the action. I'm trying to build my business (my area is a little saturated) so I got some good information from the Marketing Classes.
I'm not sure I would want to do swaps again. I got a lot of stuff that wasn't very good quality, and I really work hard at making my stuff quality.
If you have money to spare, it's a wonderful experience - I had a blast - it's a great way to see what is up and coming and way to use SU stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Next year is in Utah so the cost would be cheaper than Denver, but I think as a Hobby Demo it would be more beneficial to go a Regional than to conference unless money isn't an object. I personally learned so many new techniques that I'm thrilled. Your cost of $250 includes the free stamps, we got 3, lunch on 3 days, which was terrible this year, and the materials for make and takes, as well as dinner on Saturday night. I didn't attend awards because it was too much for me physically so I'd say that is easily something to skip. The classes are all optional so you could sign up for only the technique classes and in the other times walk around and take pictures of the sample boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Ive been to a Regional and it was ALOT of fun. Personally I am not wanting to go to Convention since I am only a "Hobby" that actually does some sales.
:O)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been a hobby demo since 1999. I've been to three conventions and would love to have gone every year! If you like excitement and entertainment and meeting other stampers and just getting to know the people who run the company, then you will love it. Take swaps, even if it's only 20 or 30. You might really like it. My husband went with me to two conventions and we stayed a little longer and made it a vacation. He had time while I was attending convention to ask around about things to see in the area and got to spend some time playing golf and reading and other things he doesn't get to do with his busy schedule at home. And I loved meeting other people who love stamping as much as I do.

Is it "worth it"? I think so. My husband and I are wanting to go next year to Salt Lake City if I'm able to keep up my demoship. I would highly recommend going at least once if you can afford it. Just remember that people who complain are complainers. The people who had a wonderful time at convention are probably people who have a wonderful time anywhere they go. If you go, go expecting to have a blast and I just bet you will.

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I am a hobby demo with a few customers. I want to go next year to SU 20th Convention because of the fun, excitement and trip away with SU friends. I have never been to Salt Lake and plan to go with 3 others to split hotel costs. I may only do 20-50 trades because I too have gone to one regional and one convention in Las Vegas and some of the trades were not as trade worthy as I would have liked. The entertainment and speakers were fantastic in Las Vegas and I can only imagine what a 20 year anniversary for SU is going to be. Shelli and her staff have been working on this very special event for a while I am sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber333View Post
Next year is in Utah so the cost would be cheaper than Denver, but I think as a Hobby Demo it would be more beneficial to go a Regional than to conference unless money isn't an object. I personally learned so many new techniques that I'm thrilled. Your cost of $250 includes the free stamps, we got 3, lunch on 3 days, which was terrible this year, and the materials for make and takes, as well as dinner on Saturday night. I didn't attend awards because it was too much for me physically so I'd say that is easily something to skip. The classes are all optional so you could sign up for only the technique classes and in the other times walk around and take pictures of the sample boards.
Just a quick note....there is no dinner served at convention...only the three lunches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

I've been a hobby demo for 5 years and have gone to 3 conventions, it is definitely worth it (I couldn't go this year because my sister was having surgery). I went to all of the classes at my first convention but for the next 2 I only went to the morning general session and to the afternoon classes where we actually stamped or learned techniques. Although the business classes are interesting, I didn't get much use out of them. I don't bother with the awards festivities or the banquets.

The benefits of convention to me are: 1. Ideas, ideas, ideas, 2. I learn a lot of new ways to use SU products, 3. It is an empowering experience, 4. I make friends with stampers from all over the country, 5. Its a 4 day vacation all about my hobby, 6. I always come home with tons of ideas and energy that I share with the my stamping friends who then place a big order from the new catty - giving me more free product and a hostess set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

As a hobby demo with a few sales, it was totally worth it for me. Regardless of implementing any of the business ideas or not, you learn a ton of ideas for using our products. Meeting people who enjoy the same thing is great. I wasn't 100% sure I was going. May was a good month and that paid for my registration fee. I had a yard sale that paid for my part of sharing a room with three other people. Airfare was the most expensive part--mainly because I waited till early July to book. I'm already figuring out how I can save money for next year in SLC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I am a COMPLETE hobby'ist.
I went to convention last year, didn't go this year, but plan to go next year. I do think everyone should go at least once, so see the distribution center, hear the other demos and to see all those at the 'home office' that we hear so much about.

I do understand that for those coming from the E. Coast it is much more $$ than for those of us coming from the W. Coast, but I would say if you can swing it you should go...

A word about trading/swapping. Most people really put a lot of time/effort into their items...but some come out looking fantastic while others...not so much.If you expect little then anything you get that you love is a treat...plus for those that may not be your cup of tea, just try to get 'something' from it...a color combo, a technique, etc.
SCS member #3312
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Interesting thread. Thanks to the OP for it!
I am mostly my best customer too. I have thought of pushing to grow this as a real biz, but when i have, it has back fired a bit and I actually lost money. (Driving for MILES to have a workshop only to sell about $100 worth of items, etc.) So, I'm now only concentrating on customers who live closer to me and who don't want it all for free. That said, I love SU and am hoping to get a few more local customers over the next year.
I, too, would love to attend a convention, if nothing else, just to see what it is like. I think the 20th would be the ideal one to attend. I have relatives in SLC, so I am hoping the lodging would be minimal.........depending on just where they are living right now in proximity to where the SU events are held. KWIM? I'd probably bring the entire family and make a vacation out of it. That sounds fun!

Anyway..........thanks again for the thread.
I am hoping others think it is worth going.

Cheers,
Stacy
Stampin' blog here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi all ,can you answer what may seem like a real stupid question (English girl looking forward to SU coming soon) what do you swap ,i mean i know your all making stuff ,but what ,and when do you swap it .....is there a set time to do the swappin , i so want to do a convention as they sound so good but don't want appear dim witted !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Default convention worth it for hobbyists? yes--and swaps?

I've gone to 4 conventions now. I have to say that they are as fun as you decide they'll be. My first was in a wheelchair from a recent injury. My second I had to leave after the first day because of a family emergency. My 3rd I was a little down about a lot of things and went alone. But this one I went with friends and decided to play the role of cheerleader for everyone and had so much fun my ribs are still aching from laughter! Yes it's worth it just for the fun factor (as long as you decide to have fun). And don't forget that if you end up with a loss on your taxes, it counts against your other income.

As for business classes, I wouldn't miss them! The presenters are a hoot! Yes--there are some valuable bits of business wisdom to be learned but the classes are pure entertainment!

About swaps--we've all been there. Have you looked back at some of your earlier work? You may be a better stamper now because somebody "traded down" with you in the past. Of course you put a lot of time and work into your swaps. But swapping is luck of the draw. There's nothing that annoys me more at convention than to see someone hiding their swaps and inspecting others' work before being willing to trade. If you want to insure that you "get good ones" then just make sure that you bring enough to share with less experienced stampers as well. Sheer numbers will help you there. Have any of you had the privilege of swapping with Lisa? She's blind and she brings 1000 swaps every year! You better believe she gets some good ones! If you want to "only trade for a certain quality" then you need to enter an organized swap or consider hosting one via this or other e-lists. Then you can determine the rules for how "good" the swap must be. I always try to bring at least 300. And I also always am ready to give a swap away to someone who admires it but has no swaps left. One of the great things about the stamping community is the sense of sharing. Most of the conventioners know that. There are a few, however.......

Anyway, I already am planning my swaps for next year's convention!! Look me up and swap with me if you get there! I'm easy to find--I travel in the group with the guide dog! Good luck with your decision!
--Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I attended convention this year and am mainly a hobbiest demo. I really had a good time at convention, however was a little bored during the marketing classes. It cost A LOT of money for me to go, however I did really enjoy it and learn a lot. If I go again next year, I will only do SCS swaps. I found that convention was more worth it to me, money-speaking, because I came away with more information and make-n-takes than I did at the regionals. I attended regionals once and thought that it was WAY TOO MUCH money for one day (hotel, transportation, attendance fee). In that aspect, convention was more worth the money. Just my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DL and I are purely discount demos and I think she would agree that going once was a great experience. I've been twice and though I enjoyed it, find it just too expensive to make it worth going again. When all is said and done, it'll run ya $750-1000, which is enough for a smaller vacation for me AND my DH. Had it not been in my backyard this year, I wouldn't have gone.

BTW -- I disagree that SLC will be that much cheaper than Denver. In terms of hotel, yeah a little bit, but flights to Denver are substantially less expensive in my experience. I think it all comes out in the wash to be honest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #17  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

I enjoy going as it is MY *FUN* vacation. When DH and I go on vacation, he goes to escape doing ANYTHING. I like a vacation where I can DO a lot of STUFF and what better environment to do it in than one surrounded by CRAZY STAMPIN LADIES (to quote Melissa)....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

well I talked to hubby about the frequent flier points as he travels alot. He said I could prob use his Hilton hotel points (if there is one) without him but he doesnt know if I could get a seat in my name with his American miles. Does anyone know if you can do that?? That would really cut the expense for me and then make it much more worth my while to go!! Thanks to all for posting your thoughts and it sounds like the majority is all for it at least once no matter what your SU status! Guess I better start saving my pennies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

You can gift your points...so you should have no prob using his miles. Also...they do have a Hilton right downtown Salt Lake. I actually live about 5 mins from downtown SLC, so if you have any more questions let me know! But again...you should have no problem using his miles! I know we have given people not even in our family tickets using our miles. Good luck making the decision. It really is a FABULOUS experience. And who knows what you will get out of it unless you go! This year was my 1st and I will make sure I stay a demo for a long time because I want to go every year! It's GREAT!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I went this year and it was my first convention..I am a hobby demo also. I had such a blast that I am already thinking about SLC. I felt the excitement of each morning session to be very inspiring and I learned alot while they were demoing. I enjoyed the watercoloring class and a few others..The marketing class wasn't for me, so I just left and looked at the displays etc... They are awesome...so many ideas for me to take home and use. If the cost is a concern, you have a year to think about rooming with someone or two...and you can always eat cheaper if dining out is expensive....I found that Denver was the same as NYC, and we were lucky to get a cheap flight...but the flights to SLC are more from NY so I will have to budget for it... We went to dinner with our downline and uplines and had a dinner swap (45 gals..) it was a blast and the swaps were WONDERFUL....I have so many ideas... I made 40 swaps for general session and had fun meeting ladies....I got only 3 that were really bad (running ink, crooked, and cut poor.....so though that annoyed me the other 37 were great...so it is worth doing a few....you can make simple ones and you will enjoy chatting with people.

I planned this as my "vacation"...so I plan on "vacationing" in SLC next year...it all depends on what is "Fun" for you...we had a group of 5 that did sightseeing together the first day and so I feel like I had a great vacation...the tour of Coors factory, Buffalo Bill Museum and Red Rocks was a blast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a hobby demo with a few sales and this was my first convention. I had heard so much about Convention that I had to go and see what it was all about. It was a blast!! It was so inspiring for me to come back and share what I love with so many more people!! I think everyone should go they should go at least once for the experience. If you don't ever want to go again then you don't have to but at least you know what you are missing out on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Post 1st Convention - Hobby Demo

When I signed on last year (December) so almost 10 months, I initially thought, ok, just for the discount, the ideas from the SU website, and def. not a business demo.

I never do anything just a little bit, so I decided to give it a go (for at least a year and then re-evaluate my options). When my upline asked - who's going to Denver for convention - I say...hey...sure! So true to my word, I used points, shared a room, ate my usual, not gourmet food, love to socialize and looked forward to this opportunity.

I even had one business demo ask me why I was there, and I said, "why not?". For me it was simply for the opportunity and the fun and presence of women of like interests.

I was inspired by the 5 days I spent there. I went basically solo, no big gangs of people to keep together and I looked for any opportunity to talk with someone new and meet new women.

I left my husband and 4 year old (next week) and did not look back. I loved the idea, the encouragement, the excitement and the feeling of belonging to something bigger - Stampin' Up.

Dream Big was the motto - and to each, it means something different. Personally, professionally, in family, work, life, etc. With that I took it all in. I will be in SLC next year, for sure, a hobby demo now, and hobby demo until at least 2 more years when my young daughter enters grade 1 - I'm focused on those formulative years of development for her. Leaving her for 5 days did her great things. She trusts that I go and come back, eager to step right back into her expectations of me as her mom!

I only come back - rejuvenated, inspired, blessed, tired - but well worth the $250, airmiles, hotel split with someone I met on the SU website, meager meals, a few trinkets, swaps (ideas). If this helps you - then please ask for more if I cannot convey this in words. Ask anyone who went, its a great time!!

My update - photos, stories, etc can be found on my website: http://www.anker.ca

Dina P.E. Anker (dinapea - nothing to do with peas)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByYouStamperView Post
Just a quick note....there is no dinner served at convention...only the three lunches.
So they don't serve dinner at the awards banquet? Seems odd, but as I said I didn't go so I wasn't sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 04:35 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber333View Post
So they don't serve dinner at the awards banquet? Seems odd, but as I said I didn't go so I wasn't sure.
They usually do not serve dinner, but I think one night this year was a Pajama party , so they may have served something then. Awards are held after dinner, most go have an early dinner if they are attending awards.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

If you can budget accordingly, going to Convention is rewarding for a Hobby Demo. I went to my first in SLC '05. I shared a room with 3 gals I found on SCS and attending almost everything. You do get motivated and inspired by just being there with all the other demos. The excitement is sooo overwhelming. It literally is going on vacation with other people who love stamping just like you. The commoradrie is outstanding! I do think that all demos should go to convention at least once during their SU career. I will be in my 5th year by convention time next year, so I will go to do the 5th year march across stage. That is really exciting to see.

The good thing is that you have a whole year to start planning and saving for it. You should go! It's a lot of fun, even for a hobby demo.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I had a 90% great time. I am so busy that I have to be careful to NOT get excited about recruiting and selling. The demonstrations were great. The new friends was a bonus. I'm going to go next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

The benefits of convention to me are: 1. Ideas, ideas, ideas, 2. I learn a lot of new ways to use SU products, 3. It is an empowering experience, 4. I make friends with stampers from all over the country, 5. Its a 4 day vacation all about my hobby, 6. I always come home with tons of ideas and energy that I share with the my stamping friends who then place a big order from the new catty - giving me more free product and a hostess set.[/quote]

great points listed here by Aunt Denise, think of if it as in-service for yourself, and your art, I went to the one in Orlando, by my self, it was a great time away from the stresses of home, I did meet up with my upline for a cup of coffee and say hello to the group.But spent most all of the time just being with me (sounds goofy) I just enjoyed the whole thing, don't miss out on swapping, it's fun, but just be aware, don't be disappointed. the regionals are great, too, I have been to several and take a non-demo friend with me...we just enjoy the techniques and the swaps and the displays, take lots of pictures, and ooh and ahh over the stuff we see. Nothing wrong with a vacation away from all that stuff at home. a stampin spa retreat of sorts. you are worth every penny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Like so many of the others who have posted, I go to convention and I LOVE it! However, unlike most, I signed up 5 years ago for the sole purpose of attending the SU convention with my friend (and now UL) having no intention of ever selling a single stamp! lol! Yes, you can imagine what happened....I got to convention and soaked it all in. LOVED the Stampin' vacation with my friends and had so much fun that I resolved NEVER to miss a convention, ever! So far, I have managed to go to all of them and am already pysched up for 2008.

However, the hobby demo part of it hasn't worked out quite so well. While sitting there at convention in 2002 I heard some of the very inspirational speakers and thought, "hmmm, I could do that..." so I came home and sent out a blanket e-mail to all of my friends letting them know what I was doing and asking them to please feel free to share my info with anyone they thought might be interested. I figured "que sera', sera'" and all that, ya know? Well amazingly, a few weeks later I got a phone call from a friend of a friend asking if she could buy some stamps! I wasn't prepared for that but managed to muddle thru the conversation and gave her the options of 1. customer direct order 2. book party and 3. home party show. I was flabbergasted when she picked option 3 and booked a party!!! Yikes, that meant I was committed! So I did a party for her and had a GREAT turnout and a $700 show meaning that with my previous personal orders I was almost at $1000 and still had a month to make my Stampin' Start (which I had scoffed at when I rec'd the letter!) so I scheduled an Open House, invited some friends and when it was over I had no only met the goal for my Stampin' Start (did I mention that I am very motivated by free stamps??) but I had enough people interested that I started a stamp club and wow, it just kept evolving! Even though I started out with zero intentions of ever selling a stamp other than to myself, I found that never once in 5 years have I had to rely on my personal order to make my quarterly quota...in fact, I have more than met the quarterly minimum each month!

Now, it's been 5 years and I still consider myself a "hobby demo" in the sense that I am not in this for the business end of things however I am easily paying for my own habit and most of the time paying for my annual trips to convention as well as attending Leadership for the past 3 years. Yea, ok...so I'm an overachiever, that's what I get for having joined the Navy right out of nursing school, I guess! But I have never considered myself a business demo...just a hobby demo who has been lucky every year!

I guess the moral of my story is this....go to convention and love every minute of it but don't be surprised if it motivates you to move a wee bit out of your hobby demo comfort zone! But do it for sure, it is a blast!!! Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Inkerzaway - I am a new demo and found your story to be inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

JMHO: Thought the lunches were just fine (considering you have to please many, many women). Presentations were excellent. My head was so bursting with ideas and plans I could hardly think straight.

Most swaps I received were nice. I doubt that anyone intentionally makes a "dud" swap. Perhaps they just need to be exposed to better designs and better execution, which they'll get in return.

I agree that you'll have as much fun and get as much out of it as you make up your mind to.

My opinion is that people who don't have a good experience traveling need to stay home where they can control everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I went considering this as a vacation.
I live in a very small rural town with no sidewalks;
and love spending time in big cities. Denver was
fabulous.

The swaps were interesting --- remember that some of our own earlier cards were just as simple. As for the ones that weren't good, it was an educational experience to look at in our hotel room and figure how the cards could be improved.

I took only 30 cards to swap, so it appeared I might have been hiding back my own stuff while I looked at everyone's. Actually, I had none left or some unfinished ones in the hotel.

I was in the group of ten deaf women who met each other for the first time at dinner the night before check-in day. Fun seeing all the different personalities from the first night forward. As Patra said in this thread: "Just remember that people who complain are complainers. The people who had a wonderful time at convention are probably people who have a wonderful time anywhere they go." This was obvious during the week. Some of the younger mothers really missed their kids, but they kept on smilin'.

Some SU staff people and other demos came up and signed to us. SO many people know sign language or ASL, and that was fun to see. The classes were super -- great camerawork and photography.

The awards were okay, at least we saw our 4th/5th-generation upline walk on the stage (we never got to meet her in person). The band was AWESOME! Our interpreters brought out the joy and energy of the band.

Yes, I'm glad I went to convention and had the experience and the vacation away from the stresses of home.

Dinapea commented on this thread.... but she didn't mention here: she won a cruise!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Well, this was my first convention and let me say this...LOOK OUT SLC I'LL BE THERE NEXT YEAR!!!

I signed up last July as a "hobby demo" and up to this point that is the way I had been running my business, I was my own best customer. I decided in June that I wanted to get a little more out of it. I had an open house and I think 3 people showed up...not too good. I had given up and decided that I would do this for a little while longer and had even thought about giving up being a demo and going back to ordering my stuff from my upline.

Well, we went to convention and it was great!!! The only part that I didn't enjoy was commuting to a hotel via public transportation (I learned from this though, next year, even if it does cost a little more, we will be staying at a hotel next to the convention center!) I took a little over 200 swaps and received some that weren't quite my taste, but I look at it this way, maybe some of mine were swapped with someone who thought they weren't their taste as well, everyone has their own opinion...I wanted the swaps for inspiration and new ideas and let me just say, I definitely got that!!

The money, well, I figured that being a stay at home mom of 4 boys (2 teenagers and a set of twins) that I deserved a vacation, why not mix business with pleasure?

I came home from convention extremely pumped! My head was about to explode with all of the new ideas! My upline and I have decided that we are going to Hawaii in '09. I have a workshop booked for the middle of August and another one for the first of September. I am also looking at forming some clubs and holding my first "technique class" in the very near future. My DH, bless his heart, had talked to a lady here in town while I was gone and sure enough, she loves SU! and I now have 2 new customers.

So yes, convention will motivate you, even if you don't want it to. If you don't want to be motivated, if you don't want great ideas, if you don't want to meet thousands of other women (and men) who stamp, then do yourself a favor and save your money, otherwise COME AND PARTY WITH US!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbettyView Post
As Patra said in this thread: "Just remember that people who complain are complainers. The people who had a wonderful time at convention are probably people who have a wonderful time anywhere they go."
I'm not sure it's that black and white. Just because I didn't like the food, and told SU! as much in my eval, automatically makes me a "complainer?" I gave them solid feedback in terms of what I enjoyed and what they could do, in my opinion, to improve the overall experience, like limiting MM purchases on the first day so every demo has an opportunity to buy the nifty SU! trinkets and clothing. I raved about the on-stage presentations, especially Shelli's home decor spot, but mentioned that I'd like the "milestone walks" to be faster, more efficient, as they take up a lot of time and cause the morning presentations to go longer and/or feel rushed. Telling them that everything was perfect is, in my mind, turning a blind eye to a great opportunity to give specific feedback that will help them each year as they strive to improve. That's what an eval is for!

I had a great time -- though last year was more fun, IMHO. Maybe that's because I had more on my plate this year, or maybe it's because things seemed a bit cut back financially this year (more than likely because they had to travel), or maybe hindsight is 20/20. I dunno. But I think being armed with all sides of an argument, and not just the sunny side, is to be best prepared for whatever may come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Wow, lots of replies. I didn't read most of them so please excuse me if I am redundant. I can't take too long here.

To be perfectly honest, the only reason I went to convention this year was because it was "in my backyard" and I could afford it (sort of). I figured I might not get a chance like this again for a LONG time.

I do not regret going. At first I thought what a waste, cause nothing was going to pertain to me as a hobby demo other than the techniques and demos and samples (all totally worth it in the end!) But as convention progressed I realized that I could use the business info as well, not just if I ever decide to make a business go of it, but to just help me meet my minimums now.
I am not independantly wealthy and can't do it myself even though min's are so easy to reach in this business.

The cherry on top was I got to spend a few hours away from the little everyday stressors of raising children. I did have to go home every night. I also enjoyed getting "dressed up" everyday and walking out of the house like a real adult with adult bags and supplies instead of the diaper bags etc.. LOL ;)

If I ever get the chance again I will definately try and go. In hindsight though I would have spent more time at convention looking around at all the displays and I would have checked out the marketing resource center! I forgot to! :(
I would also go to awards night. I didn't get to this time.

SO I would say yes as long as your circumstances will allow. It is worth it even for a hobby demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I forgot to add. I DID like the food,all of it, but then again I am not picky and I like hospital and school food too! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes