Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oooh thanks for the freezer tip Benzi.
I'm off now to take a chicken out of the freezer and put my dodgy punches in instead (...my DH already thinks I've lost the plot anyway, so I think I'll just put them in the freezer and not tell him why!!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

Default MS doily punch

I had some trouble with this punch and it is my all time fave. I came upon a trick lately that really helps. When you are punching (this would be looking at the punch from the top side, not the underneath as people do) take your right hand and punch the handles together as usual, but with your left hand, stabilize the punch by giving it leverage on the left side as well. It seems to even out the pressure. I hope I explained that right (vice versa for lefties). It's really worked well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
i punched through some pop cans (or SODA as some of you say...) because i saw a video of that being done online, and that worked too!

I tried this, too! It worked great but I made a mess!! Be sure to wear some safety glasses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 667 Likes on 377 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby-dooby-dooView Post
Oooh thanks for the freezer tip Benzi.
I'm off now to take a chicken out of the freezer and put my dodgy punches in instead (...my DH already thinks I've lost the plot anyway, so I think I'll just put them in the freezer and not tell him why!!)
Hi Ruby-dooby-doo...There you go! We women are such a mystery, aren't we? I'm sure our DHs wonders what they will find in there next. Hope this works for you. Like I said, I only tried it on that pesky MS doily lace punch and it sure worked for me. I was ready to throw that thing all the way to Ireland if this had not worked.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #45  
Glitter Queen

Default MARTHA STEWART PUNCHES

I have purchased several MS punches only to return them. I have even written to MS customer service and complained about how horrible their punches work. The engineer and quality control of MS punches should be fired. I think all of us crafters out there should refuse to purchase these inferior products and maybe with sales down they will start to make a quality product. Listen to us ladies talking about freezers, sandpaper, foil. We should not have to figure out ways to make these work. That is Martha's job....make a quaility product for a reasonable price. The punch should work with all kinds of cardstock...that's the bottom line. Whew, glad to have my say. There's too much stress in the world to have to get frustrated using a punch. Cardmaking and scrapbooking should be relaxing, not giving us high blood pressure or carpal tunnel. Pretty silly when you think of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #46  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudkaView Post
I have purchased several MS punches only to return them. I have even written to MS customer service and complained about how horrible their punches work. The engineer and quality control of MS punches should be fired. I think all of us crafters out there should refuse to purchase these inferior products and maybe with sales down they will start to make a quality product. Listen to us ladies talking about freezers, sandpaper, foil. We should not have to figure out ways to make these work. That is Martha's job....make a quaility product for a reasonable price. The punch should work with all kinds of cardstock...that's the bottom line. Whew, glad to have my say. There's too much stress in the world to have to get frustrated using a punch. Cardmaking and scrapbooking should be relaxing, not giving us high blood pressure or carpal tunnel. Pretty silly when you think of it.
Well said!
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

From what I've gathered from different sites about Martha's punches - they only work on paper, not so much on cardstock. Her designs are beautiful, but completely useless on cardstock.

The soda can "sharpening" definitely does work. I hate to think of how many punches I threw out because they didn't work anymore! Forget the wax paper and foil......waste of time. Check out the video on Youtube using soda (pop!) cans. I cannot beleve how well this worked. And, yes, you have to cut off the top and bottom using .............. "soda can cutting scissors" (for lack of a better term) and flatten the remaining piece as much as you can........but IT WORKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Also, as so many of you before me have so eloquently put it......we shouldn't have to work so HARD to use these products that we pay so much money for. Twisting, turning, heating, freezing, cooling, burping......whatever.......it's too much work! They're supposed to be making our lives easier! Isn't that why we pay them the big bucks for their 'stuff'? As Benzi brilliantly put it: "Cardmaking and scrapbooking should be relaxing, not giving us high blood pressure or carpal tunnel."

e.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not as creative as you have been in "fixing" difficult punches. I'm more of the "brute strength" fix-it type. I turn my punches upside down on the carpet (or a magazine) and step on the bottom of the punch that is now facing up. Obviously, this will only work with punches that have a button to press down on not a handle to squeeze. But I find it works extremely well, allows me to perfectly allign the area I want to punch, and additionally allows me to take out any punch-related frustration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #50  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried the freezing method and it helped quite a bit

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #51  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
I tried the freezing method and it helped quite a bit
Yea! I'm glad it helped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #52  

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkeyday53View Post
From what I've gathered from different sites about Martha's punches - they only work on paper, not so much on cardstock. Her designs are beautiful, but completely useless on cardstock.

The soda can "sharpening" definitely does work. I hate to think of how many punches I threw out because they didn't work anymore! Forget the wax paper and foil......waste of time. Check out the video on Youtube using soda (pop!) cans. I cannot beleve how well this worked. And, yes, you have to cut off the top and bottom using .............. "soda can cutting scissors" (for lack of a better term) and flatten the remaining piece as much as you can........but IT WORKS!!!!
If my freezer tip quits working I will have to give this soda can solution a try.
But, you are right, the wax paper and foil is useless. For me, at least.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #53  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My husband turned me on to this product called BoeShield. It was made for Boeing to help lubricate metal airplane parts. It sprays on like WD-40 but "bonds" to the metal permanently. My SU scallop circle punch was squeaking and creaking after I made hundreds of turkey peppermint patties at Thanksgiving. I tried everyone's hints and solutions to no avail. DH sprayed a little bit of BoeShield on the springs and metal parts of the punch, let it set for a minute or two, punched some practice circles and it is like new again. I have since sprayed all my punches with it, even my MS lace edged ones, and they all work smoothly and quietly now. BoeShield is not cheap (about $16 for a large spray can) but one can will last you a lifetime, since you only use the tiniest spray. It can ordered through woodworking companies like Hartville Tool, although it might be available through local hardware or metalwork stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have had several problems with EK punches sold through SU, usually the bigger punches. Some chewed one side of both CS and paper, some only chewed paper, etc. I did try the foil trick on them, but got sick of picking chewed foil bits out of the punches. I just kept calling SU and they kept sending out another until I got ones that worked. I usually only punch CS, but my customers use allot of lighter papers. If they can't punch thinner paper as well, I suggested to SU that they call them cardstock punches in the catalog... For some reason I hung onto them hoping for a solution, I'll try the pressure on the main body of the punch and try them sitting on the table, maybe when used upside down the cutters don't line up properly if the punch is inferior in any way.
Zephaniah 3:17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #55  
Inking Addict

There must be something seriously wrong in the manufacturing of punches for virtually everyone to have problems. I've tried everything but the freezing. I'm getting ready to send back (or a photo of) a bunch of Fiskars border punches that have fallen apart. They said they will replace with same or similar for free. Lifetime guarantee.
I also bought a product called Cutter Glide, and it has ruined every punch I've used it on. Word to the wise.
So, anyone used the new EK success border punches at Michaels? They seem just peachy, but who knows after time. Or what their replacement policy might be, if needed. I have purchased a couple in my endless pursuit of the perfect punch (company).
SQ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #56  
Inking Addict

And, in reply to scgustav, Why do we put up with this? This is ridiculous!! Foil doesn't work, waxed paper doesn't work, cans don't work, cutter glide doesn't work. This is just nuts. Why should we ALL spend all this time and stress on a product that, if designed by a female stamper, would work fine forever. Any inventors out there? Wish I knew one. I do have a cousin whose husband works for Boeing, so maybe I can hit her up for that product. They certainly don't sell anything like that where I live!! This is way beyond annoying - we spend LOTS of good money on these products. Or should I say throw down the toilet!?
Phew, hope you don't mind my venting. It's a pet peeve of mine, obviously.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

FREEZING WORKED HERE TOO!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #58  

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
FREEZING WORKED HERE TOO!!

I am so glad it worked for you! I'm sure glad I can now use my MS doily lace punch without my paper hanging and tearing. I guess for everyone this works for, we'll have to buy small freezers just to store our punches. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

we'll have to buy small freezers just to store our punches

thats not such a bad idea!!! I am going to put my ms punches in the freezer tonight. My Su punches love the cool weather, lol!!

thanks for this fab tip, maybe the punches are stored in extreme heat in the warehouse? There has to be reason everyone is having so many issues with them.

melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm curious about the freezer technique. I'm off to load the shelves with my punches, tho I'll have to move the glue sticks. Freezers - they're not just for food anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #61  
Crimping Master

Wink Help with Punches

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammykuView Post
I'm not as creative as you have been in "fixing" difficult punches. I'm more of the "brute strength" fix-it type. I turn my punches upside down on the carpet (or a magazine) and step on the bottom of the punch that is now facing up. Obviously, this will only work with punches that have a button to press down on not a handle to squeeze. But I find it works extremely well, allows me to perfectly allign the area I want to punch, and additionally allows me to take out any punch-related frustration.
We will difinately try anything to get expensive punches to work properly. Glad I subscribed to this thread, a lot of great suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #62  
Inking Addict

I LOVE this. GREATEST tip ever!! Must try immediately!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #63  
Inking Addict

Oh, except - how do you keep from getting footprints on the project? (Kidding of course)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

I was just upstairs, angrily experimenting with my MS doily lace border punch. I start punching different materials to see what would work and what would not.
I found a sheet of tin, thinner than pop can metal, and started punching away. The chards of tin kept jamming up in the punch, making me even more angry. I turned the punch over and noticed that it looked crooked. The top part of the punching mechanism was not perpendicular to the base of the punch. After a few moments of pinching and pushing, I heard a 'snap' and everything seemed to go back into alignment. I tried on a piece of cardstock, which previously would not work and presto! It worked perfectly.
So long story short, check to see if the punch is crooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

So glad to hear about the freezer idea. Tin foil, sand paper, and wax paper did nothing for me. I'm too afraid of cutting myself to try the cans...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #66  
Watercolor Wizard

I'll have to try this freezer trick with my sticky punches! Unfortunately I don't think it will work for the MSC butterfly that I only used a few times and now seems to be out of alignment, doesn't punch anymore (grr).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
This site is in my bookmarks, but I don't know anything else about the company or its products. http://www.franticstamper.com/Punch_tools.htm

There are several punch lubricants on that page: Cutter Glide, Punch Doctor, and natural beeswax.
thanks for the link! It seems that the problem punches are the ones with detail. I think one of us stampers should be able to design a better detail/edge punch that punches with ease. C'mon ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

just subscribing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #69  
Watercolor Wizard

What a great idea, I must try this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #70  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammykuView Post
:-D you are to funny! I never thought of doing that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I did that they'd probably be in there for eternity. LOL
What I do with MS border punches (and works for me) is that I put my left hand on the rectangle top piece (holding it down) and push the lever with my right. Works every time. Just do it naturally now. I have about 4 or 5 of her border punches and various others.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #72  
Mad Swapper

Talking Paper Punching problem

Don't know if this will work for everyone but I have discovered something that helps me with punching. I go to something that has a hard surface, for example, my dining room table. When I put the paper in to punch and press down on the handle, I also put pressure on the top of the punch part doing the punching. (Does this make sense?) Anyway, it has helped me with the MS lace border punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #73  
Inking Addict

Default Problem punches

Well yes, this makes extremely good sense! I'll try it tonight! THANKS for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #74  
Inking Addict

Glad to know of this link - I've been looking for Punch Doctor for years. I have actually tried the Cutter Glide, and every time I've used it the punch is in way worse shape than it was to begin with. Like, I have to throw it away shape. So maybe it works for some, but I do not recommend it myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #75  
Mad Swapper

Also, sometimes when I am punching by doing it the way I described in my earlier message of pushing on the handle and the top of the punch at the same time, it has a tendency to stick. I just pick the punch up a little ways from the table, let it drop onto the table and it releases the paper. You do what you gotta do!!
Reply With Quote Likes