Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile PTI advice needed!

So... I have previously made a single order with PTI and received a few stamp sets, cream and white cardstock, and vellum cardstock. Being in Canada, it's difficult for me to justify buying cardstock from them (much as I want to!) simply because of the shipping cost.

Therefore, I really want to know which colors I *need* ;)
1) Can anyone tell me their favorite PTI colors?
2) What's your favorite type of their ribbon?
3) Which colors are a close match to SUs?

TIA!

(as an aside, if anyone in Edmonton is wanting to split an order from PTI, I'd love to!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

1) Choosing favorite colors is really hard! I love Ocean Tides, Ripe Avocado, Raspberry Fizz. . . I could mention all of them, I think! The thing is that so many are so good in combination with eachother. Also, Kraft.

2) I'd have to say that I love the Twill and Saddlestitched the best and to me they are the most unique. Polka dots come next. Then satin and grosgrain equally as classics. Their ribbon is wonderful.

3) Nichole often does comparisons on her blog of PTI colors to SU just before a new color is released. I think the point is that they aren't close matches to SU's which makes them extra-special!

I hope you find someone to share an order with!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'd love to order with you but I'm probably going to wait a little longer ... my hubby is going to school in Michigan (March until June) and so I'll order then to get it shipped to him and he can bring it home with him in June.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Shelby,
Did you see the new cardstock sampler that Papertrey just released? It has a few sheets of each of the colors released over the last year. It's a great way for those who are new to the cardstocks to see each of the colors.

My personal favorite colors are pure poppy, dark chocolate, aqua mist, raspberry fizz, and ripe avocado (sorry can't narrow it down any more! lol). I really like the new color new leaf, too. Oh, and the kraft!

My favorite ribbons are probably the swiss dots, twill, and the satin although I use them all a lot. I really like the new bitty dots, too, and hope we eventually get them in the previous released colors, too.

Nancy is correct that Nichole has done some color comparisons on her blog. They are listed on the right hand side towards the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love most of the PTI colors so I'm no help. I can tell you my least used colors at this point are Sweet Blush and Spring Moss. Right now, I think my top faves are Ripe Avocado, Pure Poppy, and Ocean Tides but that can change from day to day :-)

If I were you, I'd go for the sampler set that has just been released. As far as ribbon goes, my favorite types are the Satin and Topnotch Twill.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one who has tons of PTI stamps and only the white, cream, and kraft paper because I have single packs of almost all SU colors. I've also got enough pp to paper the walls of my house and have enough left over for about 400 scrapbook pages.

Consequently, it's hard to justify getting yet another whole line of new colors. But I just ordered the cardstock sampler pack and the polka dots sampler of patterned paper. This gives me a chance to play with lots of their colors and decide if I'll make the transition to just PTI, stick with SU, or mix them up.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of it, which makes the decision process sooooo difficult, LOL! But it really helps to have choices in your hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not in Edmonton, but I have family there so I would be interested in splitting an order. I would love to get some paper, ideally the sampler pack, and some ribbon. Send me a PM if you decide to place an order. I'll be having visitors from the Edmonton area at the end of April, so they could bring it with them if the timing worked out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

My favorite colors are probably the Kraft and the Ripe Avocado. Though, I'd probably go for the sampler pack if I had to make a decision about what to buy.

My favorite ribbon by far is the twill, but I'm also quite fond of the saddle stitched ribbons, too. The satins are single sided which, while still beautiful, I don't care for as much. Some people like that though because it gives them texture options.

I'm another that will reference Nichole's blog for the color comparisons. I'm sorry I can't be of more help with the colors (I've never had Stampin' Up!).

I hope you find the answers you're looking for and you can place your order soon. You won't be disappointed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha, everyone's preferences are so different. My LEAST favorite of the ribbons is twill, but I love the grosgrain and satin.

the Pure Poppy is very very close to SU's Real Red. In fact, I store them together and cannot tell them apart. Like LateBlossom, I've stopped buying anyone's cardstock as I have enough to last me until --oh no -- the NEXT US presidential election!!

However, I have Berry Sorbet and love it!

Last edited by Joan B; 02-18-2009 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! Unfortunately, you didn't make the decision any easier. :lol:

Part of my issue too is that I have all of the SU inks and papers, and several ribbons to match; therefore I don't really *need* any more colors, but PTI's ribbons just look sooooooo luscious that I don't know how much longer I can resist. Still not sure what I'll do, but I appreciate everyone's input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I don't have too many colors (yet), but I love Ocean Tides. It's different from any other color I have.
2. Love the satin polka dot ribbon.
3. Their Dark Chocolate is very similar to SU Choc Chip. Very slight difference. (However, I like PTIs choc ink pad better than SUs.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I love Ocean Tides, Spring Moss, Berry Sorbet, & Kraft.
2. I only buy the twill- the others I have found online at other stores in similar colors for way less $$
3. Nichole does a color comparison on her blog each month they reveal new colors. You might want to check that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I just compared Raspberry Fizz to SU Rose Red and the are just about dead on.

I generally order the saddle stiched ribbons as they are a bit different. I bought a huge bolt of white twill that I can dye any color I need, so I don't order twills. The mini dots satin is intriguing me and I'll be ordering that in the new colors as soon as it comes in.

Oh, and I heard that the new Melon Berry is just a hair brighter than SU's Groovy Guava which is good news for me as I love GG and don't have enough cardstock to last forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I would also recommend the card stock sampler and the polka dot sampler dsp. Since you have all of the SU paper/ink, I would focus on the things that are different/better:

1. White card stock - awesome for card bases, unlike SU WW
2. Aqua Mist - similar to SU Cool Caribbean, which you can't get anymore
3. Blush
4. Spring Moss
5. Ocean Tides

No point in getting things similar to your SU cardstock, like Dark Chocolate (Chocolate Chip), Kraft, Poppy (Real Red), Avacodo (Old Olive)etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

So the Aqua Mist is more like Cool Caribbean than Soft Sky? Is Ocean Tides just a darker version of Aqua Mist?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddictedView Post
So the Aqua Mist is more like Cool Caribbean than Soft Sky? Is Ocean Tides just a darker version of Aqua Mist?
I have all 3 and aqua mist is greener than soft sky but similar because aqua mist is light like soft sky--make sense? Cool caribbean may be in the same general color family but it's much deeper, brighter and more turquoise-ish than aqua mist. From what I've seen online, Ocean Tides isn't a darker version of aqua mist it's a more unique color but I haven't seen it in person. My order should be here in a few days and I will know for sure then.

I LOVE aqua mist but not the ink. It's so light you can barely see it. I've ordered a re-inker to see if that helps my pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Let me chime in on the PTI colors.

I have:

Lemon Tart (this is a fabulous yellow and works well with SU summer sun ink)
Plum Pudding (not a purple person but this color is lovely)
Kraft (color is richer than SU's kraft but SU's kraft is fine)
White (better than SU)
Pure Poppy (virtually identical to SU's real red)
Dark Chocolate (very, very close to SU's choc chip)
Aqua Mist
Spring Moss (It's different than SU's cert. celery but in the same family--I prefer Spring moss)

I prefer the grosgrain, satin or the polka dotted satin ribbon.

I am replacing my SU colors with PTI as I run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

1.) I absolutely LOVE PTI's cardstock and colors. I do have 3 faves that are not similar to any of SU's colors: Sweet Blush, Summer Sunrise, Aqua Mist.

2.) I love, love, love the Satin Ribbon. But I tend to make feminine cards. The Grosgrain is a close second.

3.) Like others have mentioned, Poppy and Chocolate are very close to SU's colors.

Have fun and happy shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

i just placed my first order. decided to get the cardstock sampler, all the ink cubes except the aqua mist, the buttons and the dot paper.
we'll see if i LOVE it before i order stamps and other things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddictedView Post
So... I have previously made a single order with PTI and received a few stamp sets, cream and white cardstock, and vellum cardstock. Being in Canada, it's difficult for me to justify buying cardstock from them (much as I want to!) simply because of the shipping cost.

Therefore, I really want to know which colors I *need* ;)
1) Can anyone tell me their favorite PTI colors?
2) What's your favorite type of their ribbon?
3) Which colors are a close match to SUs?

TIA!

(as an aside, if anyone in Edmonton is wanting to split an order from PTI, I'd love to!)

I'm a big fan of Papertrey!!!!!!

I've ordered several times and the stuff is amazing...the cardstock and ribbon is fabulous.

My only wish...that they were in Canada...lol!!!

My first order was huge...lots of cardstock and I paid heavily for the duty!!! That was a rip off.

My suggestion is to hope the dollar goes higher...right now it's under 80 cents so of course that contributes to US buying...I do buy from other US companies as well.

I would get the sampler pack and see what you like. I want to place an order too...but am hoping the dollar goes over 80 cents to help a little.

I'm getting the sampler back and the polka dot pack. Might order some ribbon as well. I have a few of their stamp sets...order some favourites that I like that I couldn't get anywhere else. I have a few ink pads as well.

I have found that mailing from Ontario to Alberta is more expensive then some of the packages that I've sent from Ontario to the US. It's crazy.

Enjoy what you get...we only live once and if it's a treat for you...go for it.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I love the Pure Poppy and Chocolate one. The Ripe Avacado is also a fave. I wish the shipping wasn't so expensive or I'd order more. I always wait until I have enough for a large order, but now i'm going to have to wait a VERY long time before I can afford another shipment :( Cheaper shipping I'd be able to sneak a couple smaller shipments here and there, but a $200 order is definitely out of the question!

I've been sticking to Staple's White/cream 110lb paper since its cheaper at $17 for 250 sheets and there's a staples close enough I don't have to pay shipping, exchange rate or duty on it.

To compare to SU prices...
48 SU sheets of paper its $13 + gst/pst + s/h (min $10)
50 PTI sheets of paper its $9 + gst/pst + s/h

overall, I think the PTI is cheaper **IF** you happen to have a large $200+ order so the shipping/item is cheaper and subsidized. SU doesn't subsidize any of the s/h so you know you are always going to pay at least $10 and most likely more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1chrystalView Post

overall, I think the PTI is cheaper **IF** you happen to have a large $200+ order so the shipping/item is cheaper and subsidized. SU doesn't subsidize any of the s/h so you know you are always going to pay at least $10 and most likely more.
True, but on the other hand, you never get charged duty from SU, while I know you definitely do for PTI! The shipping thing from them is definitely my #1 drawback - I tend to wait for more than six months hemming and hawing about making an order before finally taking the plunge! A good point was made, too, about the Canadian dollar. I totally forgot to even take that into consideration! :( I might just end up buying a few stamp sets so that it's not overly heavy... or, *sigh* waiting until my birthday (September) so that I can justify buying the Christmas sets I really want...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Duty is just gst/pst + $5 handling fee unless it is shipped fed ex/UPS then its more like $20+ handling fee.
Reply With Quote Likes