Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing Calling Cards

My neighbor asked me to make her daughters sets of 20 calling cards. I made her 4 sets. They are 2 1/4 * 3 3/4. This is the size of the ones that she had been ordering. All are 2 layers. White stamped top portion and solid color stampin up cardstock bottom layer. I used stickles on two sets. Stickles and flat back pearls on one set, and flat back rhinestones on another set.

She normally orders them online and spends a lot on them.

I enjoyed making them for her and made matching luggage tags for them since I had already had the set up for their names and layouts. I also gave her the finished extras that I practiced on...while trying to decide colors and accessories.

Please help!!! How much would you charge for these 80 calling cards?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

as they weren't a gift you should try to cover the cost of your supplies as a minimum. Don't undervalue your time and effort. If you know the cost she was spending then that may help you come up with a price. As a rule you need to cover your supplies and time (design and manufacturing) in business but that hardly ever happens in card making. However, don't undercut yourself too much, you don't want to be known as the lady that will do couture work for cost, obviously you can always say no to future requests if that became the case but IMHO its best to give a fair price to begin with. Have a look on what is offered on ETSY as well and their pricing for similar and if they are selling at that price.

The price really should be what someone is willing to pay for your work that won't be insulting to either of you. I bet I've been no help at all.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am sorry if this is a silly question...what is a calling card?
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

the size is about the same as a business card... Maybe they are personal with personal info rather than business?

Or maybe it is true old school and they are a card left when you have been able to meet up with someone and thus you leave your card...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I am sorry if this is a silly question...what is a calling card?
blessings

if it is what i think it is...

mine have my name, phone #, cell phone # and email address.

i started doing it years ago because it is so much easier than trying to find a piece of paper and a pen in a hurry in my purse when exchanging info.

handy to give when leaving my kids with someone or running into someone you haven't seen in a long time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
if it is what i think it is...

mine have my name, phone #, cell phone # and email address.

i started doing it years ago because it is so much easier than trying to find a piece of paper and a pen in a hurry in my purse when exchanging info.

handy to give when leaving my kids with someone or running into someone you haven't seen in a long time...
I just looked it up - "calling card stationery" otherwise you get phone plans... and they are basically personal info business cards - what a good idea especially with all the different ways to communicate these days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please post a picture - I'd love to see what they look like! They sound pretty fancy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinityimpressionsView Post
My neighbor asked me to make her daughters sets of 20 calling cards. I made her 4 sets. ...

All are 2 layers. White stamped top portion and solid color stampin up cardstock bottom layer. I used stickles on two sets. Stickles and flat back pearls on one set, and flat back rhinestones on another set.

I enjoyed making them for her and made matching luggage tags ...

Thanks!
i would LOVE to see some pics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

thank you ladies..all I could think of was a business type card.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

My neighbor is using them for her daughters to put on birthday gifts, teacher gifts, etc. They have her daughters name on them and a place to write a very short message and then tape or hang on a gift.

I will post some pictures as soon as I get them off of my camera.

Thanks for the replies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've made them for myself and use them. Yes, they are a personal business card. I put Name, Address, Phone, E-mail. I do put a rubber stamping on them also. I keep my rather conservative. I want people to know I am a crafter, but don't want it too frilly. I keep it to a regular business card size and use both sides for my information.

These make it much easier as others have said than standing with someone you meet and scribbling on a piece of register receipt your name and number.

I also do address labels that I keep in my purse for forms and such that you need to indicate that kind of information. Lots easier to read than handwriting. Those I run off on the computer, but then just hand stamp a small paw print in purple.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Default pricing calling cards

As a general rule I add up my supplies and triple. If it comes out a little to low, then bump it up a bit.
I thought I was odd for using them.
I had "family" business cards printed. The ..... Family with all of our names, address phone etc so when I meet a mom at an event, I can just give her the card....some I put Sarahs mom....Bens mom..you know that becomes our name after while....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Calling cards are a great tradition from the Victorian era. Apparently making a comeback... They usually had a design on them that meant something to the owner -- favorite flower, family coat of arms, etc.

Add up the cost of supplies, double, and figure out an hourly rate for your time to add to it.

In the future, you may want to agree upon financial terms before proceeding. I know a lot of people here charge the customer for the supplies, even if it is a stamp set they have, and then charge their hourly rate. That rate will depend on your market, of course, but make sure it is fair to YOU. Hourly rates for an artist to do a commissioned piece are decidedly NOT minimum wage! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I've read and understand what has been said here as far as what someone should/would charge for this kind of work. Some I agree with and some I don't. (we're all entitled to our opinions)

You have to consider if you are a business doing this job or are you doing it because someone asked you to, knowing you are a crafter? Also, no matter what you feel the job is worth, you have to consider the market in your area. People are only going to want to pay what the price they have in mind, can afford or THEY feel the work is worth.

These rates will vary greatly in different parts of the US as I would think they would in other parts of the world.

As mentioned in Post # 1, it's for this person's neighbor, therefore it would be for a friend and not a business deal. The cost (in my opinion) would be considerably less than if the crafter being asked were running a business.

Since I am a crafter and not a business, when I'm asked if I would do something like this, I don't "charge" anything, I let the person give me whatever they feel they want. Or ask them to purchase the supplies so they get what they want.....color, type of paper, etc.

I see being asked to do these kind of things as a compliment to my craftiness and not a money making venture.

Also remember, if doing these things for a child or young person, be careful what kind of personal information you indicate. These cards in the wrong hands could be a real problem. It's a shame to have to say it, but it's a reality of the times.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I would also add up the cost of supplies, but i just double mine, and if it's under $5 round it up...

But if you have put lots of extras on it maybe more.

Well done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #16  

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

As mentioned in Post # 1, it's for this person's neighbor, therefore it would be for a friend and not a business deal. The cost (in my opinion) would be considerably less than if the crafter being asked were running a business.

I disagree. The neighbor had previously purchased them from somewhere else @ a significant cost according to the OP. Apparently the neighbor wants to pay less than she was so the OP doesn't want to charge that much but she still needs to charge adequately enough to cover her expenses and at least part of her time.

I sell my handicrafts at craft shows and whatnot. One of my sisters happens to love my work and guess what she pays what any other person that comes to my booth would pay. Same thing if she were to special order something from me. She insists that she pay like anybody else would.

OP: What I do is charge a flat design rate. Then a per item or per set rate.

So if a person wanted 20 simple invites but two designs. I would charge $10 design fee per style ($20 total) plus a minimum of $1.50 per invite (including envelopes)

Since the calling cards have bling of some sort on them I would charge a minimum of 50 cents per card. And don't think that's too expensive. You either paid for the gas or the shipping to get your supplies plus the time to create them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know this isn't price but just wanted to share this link for people still wonder what they are and just how creative you can get with them.

http://www.inkybutton.com/inkin_it_u...the-month
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I know this isn't price but just wanted to share this link for people still wonder what they are and just how creative you can get with them.

http://www.inkybutton.com/inkin_it_u...the-month.html
WOW! These are so beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I respect that this is your opinion, but I'd like to ask you a question.

Let's say that you perform this task for your FRIEND and just ask her to bring you the supplies. You spend 4 hours creating and replicating the agreed upon design, using the supplies she has brought you. You charge nothing, and graciously hand over your work to a very grateful friend.

Two months later your phone rings! It's someone you have never met, but they got your number from this friend of yours. They had exchanged business cards at a business conference, and she loved your work so much that she wants you to make her some cards as well. Oh, and by the way, your friend told her that all she had to do was send you the supplies. She lives across the country, so she'll send them to you. And why don't you whip up a couple of choices for her, scan them and email them to you and she will tell you which ones she'd like. And GOSH! she is used to paying $50+ dollars for her business cards on a monthly basis, so this is just SO NICE and SUCH a GREAT deal! She's SO GLAD she's found you and she is going to give your name out to all of her colleagues.

Still willing to do it for free?

I'm a teacher, so my motto always has been, and always will be, do not do for one that which you won't do for everyone. Now you can easily say no to the woman above, and go on with your life, but the point is, you'll have lost out and one heckuva business opportunity for yourself!

I would be kicking myself! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Melissa....In the example you give, I would say no to the woman. I am not a business. I will do things for friends (neighbors are friends) for free, but it ends there.

In the example you give, I would expect that my friend would have asked me first if she could pass my name along to her friend across the country. That would be common respect for my privacy.

When I do something for a friend, I am left to create the design myself, not doing several examples for that person to choose from. Again, I am not a business, so I would not be getting that involved.

I craft for my own enjoyment. I enjoy making things for others, but on my terms. I can always say no to any request.

Again, I respect those who want to charge someone to do a job for them, but I don't consider what I may do for someone a job. In my mind, it's just a friend doing something nice for another friend. I find it flattering to be asked if I would make something for a friend or family. Down the road, that friend or family member may surprise me and make something for me as a return gesture.

I'm sure I'm not alone in my feelings.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Again, I respect those who want to charge someone to do a job for them, but I don't consider what I may do for someone a job. In my mind, it's just a friend doing something nice for another friend. I find it flattering to be asked if I would make something for a friend or family. Down the road, that friend or family member may surprise me and make something for me as a return gesture.
I guess all I can say is that I read your comments as looking down on the OP for wanting to charge someone because they are a neighbor. Honestly, neighbors do not automaticallly equal friends, and I think doing something for one neighbor, and not another, could really strain that rrelationship.

You are, of course, welcome to do whatever you wish, but I perceive some judgment in your words of those who choose to charge and DO make a business out of it. Certainly the OP has a right to charge if she wishes. She simply asked what would be fair, not if the concept of charging is fair or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I have no further comment on this subject.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Trinity what a hornets nest you have stirred up.... lol

I hope your friend likes your work enough to pay you a fair price, and that you do at least cover your cost, remember if you only used 1/4 of a sheet of card you still had to buy the whole sheet. So don't underprice your work.

i have read what people are saying and understand the ones who feel their work is worth fair market value, but most of us are just glad to cover our cost and a little bit extra, and have our work acknowledged.

Happy crafting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

my upline also has neighbors,mother and daughter,who live next door to her.when she has a class or something she doesn't give anyone a discount just because they are neighbors and friends.they pay the going rate just like everyone else.these 2 never have said a word(they are both very very nice) because they understand its her business.since you don't aren't doing this for business reasons i agree with everybody else.you should go to etsy and see what it cost.what is your time,work,and effort to help this person out worth?i'm glad i live in the country with no neighbors.lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #25  

Kathy, my upline is one of my best friends and I just love her to pieces. Before she was my upline, I bought my SU! from her (of course), and just because we are such great friends, didn't mean I got a discount. I still paid full price for product and classes and that was fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I'm sure my opinion isn't wanted but I will give it anyway!

In this case the work was not offered as a gift. The neighbour contacted the supplier (in this case TrinityImpressions) for personalized calling cards. There may be many reasons for this from costs to wanting a unique product i.e. couture or a combination of any reasons. IF costs were the main reason IMHO the neighbour should have asked up front if they could be done cheaper than what they were currently paying and agreed that upfront. If a unique product is the reason then it is probably more assumed that it may or may not be a less costly product. I was raised that it is rude to "ask" for a gift. You can have a list of wanted things such as a registry but to out and out ask isn't polite. If people are up with culture enough to know and use calling cards then I will go off on a limb and think they are polite people as well and wouldn't ask someone to be financially down (on product and time) for their personal gain without some compensation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

http://www.inkybutton.com/inkin_it_u...the-month.html
They ARE really cool! I've make cards for myself before, but never thought to cut out part of them......hmmmmmm. Thanks for that link!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well, I'm sure my opinion isn't wanted but I will give it anyway!
Perfectly stated. I was also raised that it was rude to ask for gifts, or expect them, and I teach my students the same values!
Reply With Quote Likes